Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Ask away

That question saddens me because several of my top contenders (Ray Bradbury; J. G. Ballard) have disqualified themselves over the last couple of years :frowning: Jonathan Coe or Michael Frayn, I think. Oh dear, what a bunch of privileged white males!

Oh my goodness, Michael Frayn’s Copenhagen is a masterpiece, a freakin’ masterpiece. I love that play so much, I read it multiple times a year. Every time I see something new. Geez. It’s wonderful.

I saw Noises Off a couple of years ago and at one point I thought I was actually going to make myself sick I was laughing so much.

Open question:

What is something you love or hate on the internet (can be anything, a trend, meme, etc)?

I personally hate the internet communities for most video games. Some of the most toxic, vile places I’ve seen. Especially for team based ones like League of Legends. 90% of the talking done is calling teammates derogatory names, encouraging suicide, and complaining about skill.

I strongly dislike that people take the internet for a place in which one may expose a deplorable lack of manners without consequence.

I love the “as she is played” strips on Dinosaur Comics. Especially the solitaire one:

Also, this hilarious and disturbingly insightful blog that critiques the novelization of Back to the Future page by page:

@Ryffnah: I love Dinosaur Comics! So I suppose that will bring me to one of my favorite things on the internet: Pictures for Sad Children (http://picturesforsadchildren.com/1/) The sense of humor is surreal and biting. It should be depressing, but it’s so quirky that it mostly isn’t. It’s really well-done, imo.

If this hasn’t already been asked/answered other places… how’d you get into the fandom?

I got into the fandom by…well, a pretty embarrassing sequence of events that I’m unlikely to share, but the essence of it was that I stumbled across the website of a fur explaining what a furry was, and I thought, “Ah…so that’s what they call it. I am that.”

Open question: Who are three singers you think are exceptionally skillful? (Feel free to link examples.)

I’m engaged to Yannarra (who’s somewhere on this site I believe). Should be married in 2015 or so, I think. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a question (well, more like four of them):

Was there a piece you wrote that you’re embarrassed by or hate? What was it about? What was wrong with it? What would you do differently if you rewrote it?

For me, it was an awful Halo fanfiction from when I was like, 12. It was just a cliched piece of garbage with no plot. If I ever went back to writing fanfiction, I’d love to rewrite the stupid thing with an actual plot and a real command of the english language. I have ideas for that universe that I’d love to explore, but piece just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for anything Halo fanfiction related.

I’m just glad the internet wasn’t around (not in use by the general public, anyway) when I was 10 or 11, else all the Thundercats Mary-Sues I wrote would be online, right now, forever :o

@Dwale: Adele (Duh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw), Leigh Nash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JXQtS-ZPo), and Amy Lee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrA-R5VHQs)

@Mars: Yes, but I’ve blocked it from my mind because everything was wrong with it and probably nothing could fix it.

@Myself: I entered the fandom because of a bad break-up. And I’m happy, because I’ve enjoyed the fandom more than the guy >.<

Question: Does anyone here do other creative things besides writing? I’m a bit of a photographer myself.

Why, yes. I am a musician. I also used to design tabletop RPGs, which is what I wanted to do professionally until I found out how unlikely it was that would work out. I have been known to dabble in visual art here and there.

I do traditional-media visual art (mostly pencils and watercolor) and have been known to dabble in various crafts like papermaking.

Kind of ironic – I was very much into art during high school/college, and wrote mostly for my own amusement on the side, but as the years have passed, I’m now into writing seriously and instead make art for my own amusement on the side. (Besides the day job, of course…)

This one always yields interesting results.

What is your current favorite line from a song? Any particular reason?

For me, it’s this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A3jzMyYgPQs#t=67

Don’t watch at work. :stuck_out_tongue: For those not interested in listening, it’s a Gaga song. The line in question is:

You can't have my heart And you won't use my mind but Do what you want (with my body) Do what you want with my body You can't stop my voice cause You don't own my life but Do what you want (with my body) Do what you want (with my body)

I think it’s a good example of a song that carries a sense of empowerment. It’s about sex, of course, but it also applies well to life in general. Hence why I like it.

My favorite song line is probably a tie. The one I think is probably the most deep:

“I look out to the fields
where blood is shed upon the ground
I breathe in, I breathe out
Change the channel mute the sound”

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JXQtS-ZPo)

I feel that sums up American culture really well.

Ask question: How often do you re-read your work and feel satisfied with the result? How many times do you edit?

@Friday

I haven’t finished re-reading a piece and editing it yet, because I’m not satisfied. I’ve honestly yet to be truly satisfied with a piece, although my current project is drawing very close to that.

There’s a narrow window during which the thing I’ve written is the BEST THING IN THE WORLD EVER, thereafter it is irredeemable pants. I mostly write short stories because I stand a chance of completing them before that window closes :slight_smile:

What’s everyone doing for New Year’s? Me: dropping round to bother some friends within walking distance, so I don’t have to deal with transport. Currently waiting for my boyfriend to show up; caviar and vodka on standby, just because.

Party! I think. I may sit out. Kinda want to get out and mingle and talk to people, would probably be healthy, but I’m not /sure/.

Ha, my flatmate was being just like that earlier. I have booted her out for her own good :slight_smile: