Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Tales From the Guild 2 - Details

Details of the Next Tales from the Guild Anthology

Anthology name: Tales from the Guild 2: World Tour
Lead Editor: Ocean Tigrox
Publisher: FurPlanet
Theme: Furs Around the World - Vote results here
Release Date: TBD

Call for Submissions: Our world is one rich with diversity and culture, but how would civilized animals change that? Tales from the Guild: World Tour is a general audience anthology looking for original stories set around our world exploring different locations and how the world would be affected if it was populated with anthropomorphic animals. From lions and wild dogs creating peace agreements in the Savannah to the interactions of different tribes of lizards and birds in the Amazon. Pandas and foxes journeying across the East China Sea to learn from each other’s lands and polar bears travelling south to Antarctica to relax at penguin owned resorts. Stories chosen will reflect both strong uses of the location they are set in as well as meaningful species of the characters involved. Not all characters are required to be furry (anthropomorphic animals) but the story should have at least one prominent furry character.

Submission Due Date: Dec 31, 2016
Word Count: 2000-10000 words
Payment: $20 + contributor copy - Proceeds from the sale of this anthology will go to the Furry Writers’ Guild
Who can submit: Members and those interested in being guild members
Submission Guidelines: Submissions will only be accepted from either current Furry Writers’ Guild members or those who wish to one day be a member and are registered to the FWG forum. Submissions should be formatted in either .doc or .docx format using the Standard Manuscript Format (example: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html). Please email submissions with the subject line “World Tour - - ” and include in the email your username on the FWG forum.

Slush pile reading: Anonymous with the exception of the lead editor
Volunteer applications: Closed - Applicants selected

Goals of this anthology:

• Promote the guild and our genre both inside and outside the fandom
  • Help fund the guild
  • Pay authors for their work
  • Opportunity to be more involved in the guild
  • Open opportunity for those wishing to learn about the editing process
  • Lay the groundwork for future guild anthologies

Questions, Concerns, Complaints, Applications, Submissions: TigroxTales [at] gmail.com

For the next guild anthology, I want it to be something more than just another collection put together and sent out. There’s been many members asking for another guild anthology but also, a lot of discussion as to what the purpose of the guild anthology should be: a paying market for authors, promotional tool for the guild, a way to fund the guild, etc. I believe we can use it, and future volumes, to offer these services and more to the guild and its members. Some of you may be thinking I’m biting off more than I can chew, others thinking I’m being adventurous, but let me explain.

First off, I’d like a set of themes that we can use for this and future volumes. I’m suggesting we pick themes about how furries change the worlds we develop and the situations we create. This isn’t something to bring about the “species should matter” debate, but instead, a push to really make the furry aspect of the stories shine. I propose this because with a solid theme of showing off anthropomorphics in our stories, the anthology can be used to show off why we enjoy writing and reading these stories and what the guild tries to cultivate among our members. This is not set in stone though and I am asking for input and feedback on this thread: http://www.anthroaquatic.com/forum/index.php?topic=1050.0

Secondly, we want the guild to receive profits from the sales of this anthology while still making sure that authors are paid for their work. To reach a middle ground, I am proposing a flat fee per story. We have not decided on the fee yet as we are still figuring out the details but it could possibly be something between $20-30 (The equivalent of a 4000-6000 word story at the current furry market rate). This is again trying to find a middle ground where authors can receive payment for their work while still knowing they helped contribute to the guild at the same time. By doing this, we are able to produce the anthology on a cheaper budget and give more back to the guild. I believe this is a modest middle ground but would like to hear your feedback on it.

Third, this anthology can be used as a sort of editor internship. Myself and others have encouraged other authors to work a slush pile if ever given the chance. It’s a wonderful learning experience seeing the difference in styles, storytelling and quality that is submitted to an anthology. On the flip side, I’ve had many people ask how they can get this experience and my only advice is, “Ask anyone who’s running an anthology if you can help.” This anthology and the future ones can be one of those times where people can come and glean from those more experienced.

That said, I will be opening for applications for anyone who would like to help on this anthology for a different selection of roles: slush readers, Jr. editors, proofreaders, anything else you think you can do to help out. I would like to have a team of four slush pile readers, with possibly one or two of them being a junior editor after the selection process is complete. The slush pile readers will be given the stories in anonymized format. As lead editor, only I will know who submitted what and will be responsible for taking submissions and stripping out personal information before giving it to the slush pile readers. This is for three reasons: one, so I can oversee the process and keep things streamlined; two, so that there is no bias among the slush readers; three, as the lead editor I will be working with the authors regardless. As lead editor, I promise to be fair to all submissions and will be professional working with all those who submit and are selected. Once stories are selected, I will be working with the junior editor(s) to go through the process of communicating with the authors any high-level edits first, followed by any line edits and proofreading after that.

If you are interested in helping out on this anthology in anyway noted above or in some form not mentioned, please email me at TigroxTales [at] gmail.com. Please indicate what you would like to help out on, why you would like to be involved, and if you have any experience. I can’t guarantee everyone who asks a position but I will be looking for a mix of skills and experience so please do not be afraid to apply regardless if you’re new or old to the game. Applications will most likely be open until the end of May unless otherwise noted. Also helping out does not bar you from submitting to the anthology.

That, in a nut shell, is my plan for the anthology. Any details and progress for the book will be posted here. I’ve explained a lot because I hope that this can be used as a framework, improved upon and used again going forward after this anthology is complete. If you have questions, concerns, complaints, etc. feel free to reach out to me. I have already worked with Poetigress deciding the best route to go about this and applying feedback we’ve already received by members. I want this to be anthology for everyone to be proud of and be involved in and I hope you will too!

Huzzah!

Nice, sent you an email.

Wootsauce, email sent. :slight_smile:

Updated side note: Applying to help does not mean you can’t also submit to the anthology.

Now this I like seeing. This is smurt. Nice job Tigrox!

Just a reminder that applications to help out with the anthology will be closed at the end of May. I’ve already received a good number of applications which is fantastic, but if you wanted to be considered, please email me soon.

This is wonderful Troxy. I think the ideas you have for this anthology and how it ties into the guild help stay true to the goals that have been set for the group. I’ll look forward to seeing what the theme winds up being. Would love to contribute.

Do we have more details on this (deadline etc) coming up?

The call for submissions should open soon. Most likely the closing date won’t be until near the end of the year (Sometime around Oct-Dec). The theme’s been voted on so you can start now before it’s officially opened. Word length should be something around the 2000-10,000 words.

Sounds good, thank you very much.

All who applied to help out with the anthology should have received a reply. Thank you to everyone who were interested in helping out. There were quite a lot more people who applied then I expected and it’s great to see so many volunteers.

Submissions should be opening very soon.

I’ve updated details of the anthology which is now open for submissions

Call for Submissions is Open: Our world is one rich with diversity and culture, but how would civilized animals change that? Tales from the Guild: World Tour is a general audience anthology looking for original stories set around our world exploring different locations and how the world would be affected if it was populated with anthropomorphic animals. From lions and wild dogs creating peace agreements in the Savannah to the interactions of different tribes of lizards and birds in the Amazon. Pandas and foxes journeying across the East China Sea to learn from each other’s lands and polar bears travelling south to Antarctica to relax at penguin owned resorts. Stories chosen will reflect both strong uses of the location they are set in as well as meaningful species of the characters involved. Not all characters are required to be furry (anthropomorphic animals) but the story should have at least one prominent furry character.

Submission Due Date: Dec 31, 2016
Payment: $20 + contributor copy - Proceeds from the sale of this anthology will go to the Furry Writers’ Guild
Who can submit: Members and those interested in being guild members
Submission Guidelines: Submissions will only be accepted from either current Furry Writers’ Guild members or those who wish to one day be a member and are registered to the FWG forum. Submissions should be formatted in either .doc or .docx format using the Standard Manuscript Format (example: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html). Please email submissions with the subject line “World Tour - - ” and include in the email your username on the FWG forum.

Questions, Concerns, Complaints, Applications, Submissions: TigroxTales [at] gmail.com

On it.

Excellent. Word count?

Strange. I had that in the document, why didn’t it transpose to here? Oh well, updated with your usual anthology length:

Word Count: 2000-10000 words

Cheers!

I should have something that would work for this.

This is awesome! Definitely going to think on a story for this…