Furry Writers' Guild Forum

SPECIES: Foxes

Thurston Howl Publications is now accepting submissions for volume two of its furry anthology series SPECIES: Foxes.

Deadline: July 1, 2017
Word count: 2,500-8,000; a little above and a little below will be acceptable
Rating: PG-13
Please put the story title and FOXES in the subject.

Foxes have been tricksters throughout most cultures. From the flame-tailed Japanese kitsune to the wily Reynard and Disney’s Robin Hood, foxes have been playful and mischievous characters across the globe. For the second volume of SPECIES, we want to see the many faces of anthro foxes. We will be accepting exactly five reprints and five original stories. Foxes have to be the central characters, but they do not have to be the only characters in these stories. While we will accept stories of wolves in pre-modern settings, we will prefer stories of them in 1900s to futuristic settings.

You can submit up to three stories, but we will only accept one per author (if any). (Reprints do not count in the total).
Reprints are encouraged, but you have to own full permission of the work in order for us to consider it.
We will not accept simultaneous submissions.
Payment: Authors will receive a free copy of the print book.
Send submissions in .doc or .docx format to jonathan.thurstonhowlpub@gmail.com.
If you are sending more than one submission, send multiple emails instead of putting them all in one.
We will inform all authors regarding decisions within a week or two after the deadline.
Book will likely be released in July.

What’s the pay rate for these anthologies? What rights are you seeking?

Hello Lawrence!

Right now, the pay rate is just the contributor’s copy. Because our last anthology, SEVEN DEADLY SINS, is doing well though, there is a good chance that we will be able to change that pay rate to an actual amount per word for SPECIES: Foxes and our other upcoming anthology around that time, Infurno. The rights we seek are completely non-exclusive.

Howl

Nonexclusive print? Or also electronic and/or audio?

Any chance of you linking to a sample contract?

Our contracts typically state nonexclusive print and ebook, though we rarely ever actually publish the ebook. If you private message me, I can send you a sample contract of ours.

Are dystopian short stories okay? Like as in society has crumbled down to where we are back to having markets, and everyone is poor except for the police?

Go for it!

Awesomeness! Thanks Howl!

Dear Thurston Howl Publications:

I have a story ready. Just going over it with a fine-tooth comb before I email to you. Should the .doc or .docx be double-spaced? Please let me know and thank you.

Kind regards,

CopperSphinx

Hello CopperSphinx,

Sure thing, just send a .docx double spaced please.

Thanks!
Howl

Howl,
Would a fantasy setting be considered pre-modern for this anthology?

No, that’s perfectly fine. :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks Howl!

How did I not see this before o.o?

I have a short story I wrote some time ago that will fit in this. I just need to go over it again.

So looking over the story it’s now at 1.5k. I find it an interesting challenge to expand this story as it was meant to be very short.

Just a quick note to tell everyone my story is submitted to this anthology.

I’m truly astonished at a 1,500-word story. I started working on a story for this anthology three weeks ago, and was aiming for 5,000 words. I’m now at 7,400, and still have four scenes to go! XD

I filled it out after adding more to it. Some stories are easier than others to fill in details.

When you say “a little above”, what constitutes “a little”? Because right now, my story is A LOT over. ;D

Personal recommendation: write your story first, then try to cut down to work count. I’ve had stories accepted over the word count before by 2k. Not by Howl, mind you. But still…