Furry Writers' Guild Forum

ROAR 6!!!

I’ve just emailed the following submission call to FurPlanet for them to post on their website:

ROAR 6 is open for submissions!

We’re looking for excellent general audience furry stories on the theme “scoundrel.” Submissions should be under 12,000 words, no lower limit. If you have an excellent story, but you’re not sure it fits the theme, give it a try. We can be flexible on “scoundrel,” but all stories have to be furry. That means an anthropomorphic animal figure should be significantly featured in your story – it could be anthropomorphic in body or only intelligence. We’ll consider any type of furry fiction from secret life of animals to fox in Starbucks – as long as it’s excellent.

Please send submissions as an attached .doc, .docx, or .rtf file in standard manuscript format to ROARanthology(at)gmail.com. We’re hoping to release ROAR 6 at AnthroCon, so the deadline is April 1st. For multiple submissions, reprints, or other questions, please query. We do not accept simultaneous submissions.

ROAR is a paying market. Payment will be 1/2 cent per word and one contributor’s copy on publication.

I’m excited to do this one, and it was good to see you at RF!!

It was good to see you too! And I look forward to seeing your submission!

Fox in Starbucks? Now there’s an idea :slight_smile:

Actually, after proofing this submission call, my husband proposed the idea of a secret life of animals story about a fox in Starbucks. So, an actual feral fox. In Starbucks.

Basically, imagine this fox –

– stopping into Starbucks to steal muffins or something.

London’s foxes are…special. I had a young one wander up to me in broad daylight and nibble one of my shoes (I was keeping very still to see what it would do. And they were orange shoes). Then it strolled over to the pub and started begging for crisps. Disgrace to its species!

Are you able to clarify on what exactly fits under general audience? Is foul language acceptable? What level of violence? I’m in the midst of beginning my piece and want to make sure that I’m not going to be completely eliminating myself here! ^^’

I’m told that I can use my own judgement. So…

Basically, if it’s more adult material – violence, foul language, sexual situations – it should be necessary to the plot or characterization; it should actually be earned by the story; and it shouldn’t be overly graphic. I’m unlikely to accept stories that are filled with swear words, graphic gore fests, or explicit sex scenes. However, I won’t completely rule out more mature content if it’s truly necessary to a story that seems otherwise appropriate.

ROAR needs to be a product that can be sold to minors. However, if you look at unrestricted works of fiction outside the fandom, that can still allow for a fair amount of freedom.

If you want to ask about a more specific scenario, you can always query.

SO going to try this. Scoundrels are often always awesome characters, the true neutral person who serves themselves unless you somehow compel them one way or another.

headpalms I didn’t put one name to another until just now x.x Of course I remember you Ryffnah, just not under that name XD

Scoundrels is such a broad subject. I might have a few ideas worth toying with. I’ll see what happens. What’s the projected due date for first subs?

Oh, yeah, I forget that I’m not under my real name here. Sorry about that.

The deadline is April 1st. And, yes, I picked scoundrels because it is so very broad.

XD No worries. I’m glad I was able to connect the dots!

Oooo good, plenty of time then! So says the one who usually finds herself with just a week to go, wondering where all the time went >.>

Alright, good to know. At this rate the only thing I was REALLY concerned about was language. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Scoundrels eh? I think I might have something for this.

I’ve been getting some good submissions, but I’ve noticed that there’s a definite trend toward darkness. So, I just wanted to remind everyone that there can be a lighter side to scoundrel stories as well – think Robin Hood and Han Solo. Dark stories can be good – I’m happy to receive an excellent submission whether it’s dark or light --, but it’d be nice to see some lighter, happier submissions in the mix as well.

I guess everyone still has cyberpunk dystopias on the brain so they’re all writing dark. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also the Noir anthology out, which is almost dark by definition.

Challenge accepted! I have a scoundrel (a skunk no less) that could use another go-round.

Great! I haven’t seen any skunks yet, so that should be fun!