Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Quarter Reads

This looks like an interesting way to get paid for short fiction (under 2000 words):

https://quarterreads.com/policy.php

Signed up as a Writer. Might make something happen this Monday. So, yeah! We’ll see how this goes :3

Sent an inquiry about average turnaround times and earnings, we’ll see what they say. Sounds interesting.

Ooo please share when they answer? Will be good to know. At worst, it looks like a good place for things that are already written but too short to publish in most paying gigs. At best, I might have a new shiney X3

Well, I’ve submitted fourteen stories. They’d all been previously published elsewhere – so, there’s not much to lose given the non-exclusive, non-perpetual rights that QuarterReads asks for. I guess I’ll see what happens!

That’s a very good find. And I have several <2000-word stories lurking around. Hmm.

While I don’t write all that quickly, “short” for me still tends to be in the 3000–4000 word range, so I doubt I have much I can actually use as an experiment here. It’s an interesting idea, though! (The typography is… suboptimal, like most web typography on fiction sites tends to be, but that’s a rant for another time.)

hmmmm I’d want to know how many readers are actually on that site. How many are actually paying. We live in the age of the internet, where everyone expects everything to be freely accessible, so I a skeptical. Still, couldn’t hurt to have a few things up there. Never know.

Thanks to Ian from Quarter Reads who answered some pointed questions about numbers from me, I’ll excerpt the relevant info he’s relayed to me:

“Our reader base is small. We sign up new readers every week, but the number of people with credit in their account right now is in the hundreds, not thousands. I would never guarantee a writer anything in terms of sales from the site. The average writer so far hasn’t reached the threshold. Our top sellers have reached it a number of times. We try to provide the best platform we can and continue to work on improving it, but we’re very limited in terms of promotional budget and so we’re going to grow slowly.”

“The threshold” he’s referring to is the $10 threshold for them to send money to you.

Looks like a trickle machine, but if you’ve got enough short fiction up there to make those trickles work for you, why not?

Quarter Reads just got back to me – they’ve verified that five of my stories are okay, and they’ll get to the rest later. So, three days to verify the first five is very reasonable.

Now we see if anyone buys them!

They just got back to me about my two poems. One was accepted, one not (it borrows versus from a couple of songs :P). So I wonder if they go through the pieces daily or have certain days they read through and certain days they work on other things. Guess time will tell.

All fourteen of my stories are now available on QuarterReads. So far, I’ve made 44 cents! Yay! I could buy… well… maybe a doughnut?

Oh, they take poems, do they? I didn’t notice that rubs paws together

You could buy lots of cups of coffee at Wall Drug, South Dakota. It’s still on 5 cents I think. http://www.walldrug.com/

But hey, that’s awesome! Glad they got back to you and got busy.

Got another two approved, and two others shot down. Turns out they don’t do collections of microfiction, and you have to be careful with any slice-of-life stuff.

But yeah, that makes three stories with 0 views now X3

In the interest of supporting fellow writers and getting some great reads out of it, who all has posted stories to QuarterReads so far, and under what name?

You can find all my works under Laura “Munchkin” Lewis, though if I do any x-rated I’ll probably post it under something else.

I plan to send them a buncha stuffs I’ve had lying around for ages unpublished, perhaps under a pseudonym. Just gotta find the time-- stuff that pays more and takes less work to get ready tends to rise to the top of the writing pile.

I have fourteen stories on Quarter Reads under the name Mary E. Lowd. They are:

• Pegacornus Rex
  • Weremoose
  • In a Cat’s Eyes
  • The Best Puppy Ever
  • The Most Complicated Avatar
  • Cyclops on Safari
  • Hot Chocolate for the Unicorn
  • Harvesting Wishes
  • My Fair Robot
  • Daisy Chaining
  • The Nebula Was Empty
  • The Screen Savior
  • The Opposite of Suicide
  • “Viewers Like You”

I probably have a few things I can put up, but I need to go through my files and see what’s available that’s under the word count. Probably won’t be able to get to it until sometime next week at the earliest, though, the way things are looking.

Just submitted 5 stories, of probably 15-20 pieces (fiction and poetry) that I’ll try with them.

The five in question:
-Nevermore
-In the Greenwood
-Nativity
-Imitation
-Foam on the Sea

All under Renee Carter Hall, as usual. :slight_smile: