Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Noir Anthology

Extra exposure that this is happening plus a place I can post examples and answer questions as a lot of people have been asking.

TBD Noir Anthology

The noir genre has become a classic staple in thrillers and action stories and has evolved over the years. I’m looking for your dark and gritty stories. Stories about love and loss, fighting against corruption and impossible odds, mysteries between killers and thieves. Tell me tales about the seedy underbelly of society, betrayal and revenge in all forms, anti-heros and femme fatales trapped in downward spirals where every victory still comes at a cost.

What I’m looking for:
Neo-Noir - The classic self monologuing detective story set in the forties is fine and as acceptable as the rest, but don’t feel you’re boxed in to that setting. Neo-noir takes those classic noir themes and applies them in new settings with different twists and turns. Be courageous and try something new.

Go Deep - Show me what the true contempt of a man’s heart can bring out, what a person with no limits will do for their goal, how corrupt a person will go just to drag the one who scorned them down with them. Show me why these stories are told out in back alleys away from the public eye. Be unusual, be bizarre, have a twist or three. Surprise and amaze me.

Furry - This is a furry anthology so having either feral or anthropomorphic characters is a must. Don’t look at this as a requirement but as something to give your story some spice and do something different with the genre. Mixed race (ex: Humans and Furs) is also fine.

Adult and Sexual themes are allowed - Graphic sex and excessive violence/gore is not. Make sure it’s crucial to the story if you’re going to include anything sexual. Otherwise feel free to play around and be as light or dark with your story as you wish.

Basic Guidelines:

• Stories can range between PG to R rating.
  • Maximum of 10k words. If you need more than that, please contact me with your story synopsis and why you need more words before submitting.
  • Original stories only. Nothing that has already seen print or been posted online.

Document Formatting:

• .doc file
  • Include a header on each page with: Author, Title, Email
  • Page numbers centered at the bottom of each page
  • Courier new, 12 pt font

Send submissions to TigroxTales@gmail.com with the subject “Noir - [Author] - [Story Title]”
Please include a cover letter with the following details:

• Your name and story title
  • Word count
  • Summary of the story

Follow @TigroxTales on twitter for updates
Submissions are due by March 1st.

Two short youtube videos to help stir the pot of noir ideas:

Dark Noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyaB9Gm4iw

Cat Piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Cat piano? O.o Might have to check that out at some point.

Well, I have a futurepunk noir story but it’s not furry sadly.

People were asking about books they could read for noir.
The best I know are the authors that started the genre so check out these authors for the classic style of noir:

• James M. Cain
  • Raymond Chandler
  • Dashiell Hammett
  • Carroll John Daly

These guys wrote the foundation of hard-boiled crime fiction that the film noir genre became based on. You’ve probably heard of their works as their titles have become iconic these days: The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep

It’s narrated by Nick Cave, who I have a serious man crush on. (at least his voice, cause man that man is ugly, but holy hell is he charismatic.)

What are your preferences on line spacing? Single, double, something else?

What about Morgon Freeman? XD

I prefer single because double is irrelevant since the manuscript will not be printed out to be edited. That said, I didn’t set a preference in the submission guidelines because I’m not bothered by either.

Unless you’re me. Because I do. And request double space.

=D

Because you’re a crazy masochist. :wink:

If this is the case, why page numbering and author/title/email as a header? Do you print them out to read?

To help organize the documents easier when they’re being read in the slush pile.

I don’t understand why you’d need to organize it when all the pages of A Story are in the same document? They’re already organized in the appropriate order.

Page numbering - because word programs are glitchy and sometimes don’t want to tell you what page you are on (happens to me all of the time)
Author/title/email - So when you’re in a story, you don’t have to refer to 40 spreadsheets to figure out who wrote the story and what their contact info is

Reason 3 - Because the editor said they want it that way. Generally a good enough reason for me.

All of this ^^ 

That works!

If you need some inspiration, Noir Dog is on the case!

Just so people know, noir stories don’t have to be told in the past!
Here’s a short list awesome movies and shows to get a feel for futuristic neo-noir:

Movies:

• Blade Runner
  • Dark City
  • Minority Report
  • Alien
  • Terminator

Anime:

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Psycho-Pass
  • The Big O

You know, I think poorly of noir (it’s not to my taste) and then I remember this show. I guess I just need my noir filled with giant robots, not-so-giant robots, art deco design, Gojira-style monsters, and eugenics-themed surrealism?