Furry Writers' Guild Forum

NaNoWriMo 2014

I’m skipping it this year, myself, but wanted to make sure everybody knew the site has now been updated for this year:

http://nanowrimo.org/

I must like self abuse as I will be doing it this year.
(with so many other projects due, I don’t know why… :P)

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/voicespider

Feel free to Buddy Me. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’m going to let myself do it this year, as I haven’t done anything with my projects from 2012 and 2013 yet! Gonna try to make November an editing month instead.

While I love the concept of NaNoWriMo… I tried the first year, couldn’t make time for it, and then gave up. I don’t know if I want to try again, especially with all the projects that I want to work on in the upcoming year.

Won’t be doing the full 50k one, but when Camp NaNoWriMo happens again I’d definitely love to join in on it this year.

I tried it last year, and that’s when my C1 and C5 vertebrae went out of place x.x I kid you not, I was working on the laptop before work, stretched, and slip they went, taking me out for the rest of the month since it caused excruciating pain just to sit up, not to mention standing >.<

I was planning on doing it this year, but I’d rather focus on the anthologies I’m working toward. So I get to put it off for another year xp

I’ll take part, in order to maintain my streak of not winning, or even making it above 5000 words.

Likely going to rebel it this year, and just work on a bunch of short stories.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/koakai/

In my personal experience, that’s about 10 times harder than doing a novel-length work for NaNo. Until I tried doing short stories for it, I didn’t quite realize just how much difference there is, mental-effort-wise, between writing 1700 words on a novel and 1700 words of a short story. >_<

That makes sense. With a novel, you can slow down the pacing and get into the lovely details of characters and settings. You can really sink your teeth into the world and characters without any distractions, and use the story as a way to get to know them better and better. With short stories, not only do you have to mind your pacing to keep a good balance between action/details, but your mind has to be able to shift gears and trains of thought between stories, even if you only work on one at a time. Even if you keep the setting and characters the same (in a sequential story), you still have to go from conclusion right back to a new beginning just as you got things settled in.

Good luck to those who do, I’m on the edge of burn out and am debating if I’ll finish my sci fi story. I should make a goal to set up and outline a novel so I can write it next year.

Honestly, I think after this Spring, I’m going to take a step away from writing for awhile x.x At least until RF is back in town. It’s so easy to get lost in all the shinies this site has opened up for me XD

True enough, but I never have enough prepared to get anywhere on a full length story anyways. I suppose I -could- work on something I have floating around, but that particular story has been changing itself over several years now. These days it is telling me it wants to be a young adult story, and it has been years since I read anything in that genre.

Just realize that taking a break is good and sometimes needed, after the break getting into the habit of writing is not easy. You’ll have to make sure you get back into the groove or else you’ll find your short break turning into a hiatus.

>___>

Yeah, be careful with that. As Ocean can attest to, I fell into that trap.

It’s why I love RF so much. The writing contest motivates me to get back into it.

Upon some thought though (and thanks to the wonderful furs in the chatbox), I realized I don’t want to so much take a break from writing as take time to work on some personal stories. Shrug off the weight of rules and word count and fitting into a certain genre and just letting it flow again. I’m kind of curious how I’ll do without restrictions after working within so many :3

Even though I won last year, I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the result. Hopefully, this attempt will prove a fair bit more successful.

Feel free to buddy me if you so wish: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sigmaechoes

For those who aren’t using Scrivener and might want a schedule-maker to figure out your target word counts, this looks pretty nifty:

I have no idea how I’m going to find the time, but I’m attempting NaNo for the sixth time this year. Got a 100% record so I’m putting it all on the line here!

You’ve already done it five other times this year? Holy crap! o.o

Sorry, couldn’t help myself X3 Blame Sean for putting me in the mindset.

Not sure about it. I’m really pressing to get other things done. I have projects I need to get edited and/or work on a second draft.