Furry Writers' Guild Forum

NaNoWriMo 2013!

It’s probably a smidge too early to ask this, but what the heck. Anybody else planning on NaNoWriMo this year?

I’m planning to attempt the first draft of a middle-grade animal fantasy novel called Winterheart, tentatively featuring a polar bear cub, a young snowshoe hare, and a older female wolf as main characters.

(If you don’t know what NaNoWriMo is, you can find out all the details here.)

Something I consider participating in every year, but always end up preferring 6 or more hours of sleep instead of writing.

MAYBE this year. Probably not, but maybe.

I want to! Hopefully I won’t be too busy.

I did it last year but have yet to edit the resulting mess! I am tempted to have another go to get the novella I’ve been thinking about for 2 years out of my system.

Yeah, well, I still haven’t finished the novel I did for Camp NaNoWriMo back in August 2011. XD But it’s needed to sit for a while, while I learn things and get better so I can truly do the concept justice when I come back to it.

I’ve learned I can’t give up sleep or things go haywire pretty fast physically and mentally, so for me it’s mostly staying off the Internet as much as possible, and putting reading on hold for a while.

Given that I just wrote a novella at max-speed this summer, I don’t think I have the energy to jump into another NaNoWriMo-like situation again this soon. Besides, the next novel I really need to write is Otters In Space 3, and I found that NaNoWriMo didn’t really work for Otters In Space 1 or 2.

I intend to this year, yes. I’ll need to do a little prepwork for it, but I do have an idea. Basically a comedic story involving superheros fighting against supervillains (something I wanted to do as a comic a long time back, until I realized just how much work goes into making a comic–writing AND drawing).

I would very much enjoy doing it this time around. So far, attending MSU has been kind to me on allowing me to retain a wee bit more personal time. Let’s hope for the best!

I’ve had someone inform me that their friend ‘won’ NaNoWriMo. I was under the impression it wasn’t a competition… am I just confused?

Winning NaNoWriMo means making it to 50,000 words during the month. So, it’s a competition against time and yourself. I won once in 2010.

Heck with what they say. Anyone that actually writes a little bit each day is a winner.

Yes. I have a friend who does it every year. Her strategy is, wait til Thanksgiving break then write 10,000 words a day. T.T

Also, I’m planning on getting her to write at least every Saturday by hanging out with her and writing/editing/snacking together. Will be fun!

A writing party sounds like fun. I’ve never had a lot of people near me that are much for writing. Reading, yes, but not really writing. Perhaps if I did I’d be more inspired to try NaNoWriMo

Yeah, honestly I’m really excited by this forum because I know so few writers IRL and no furry writers. It’s hard to do anything you love unless you have a community behind you to mix with and get excited over things together. Writing is no exception! I think that’s one of the reasons NaNoWriMo is so successful; it creates that community, both abstractly (“there are thousands of other people struggling with this along with me”) and concretely (these forums and others).

That could be an idea too. Kinda like a furry NaNoWriMo Skype conference (or something else along a similar line). Talk about what you are doing while doing it. Get involved with each other.

That sounds like a blast! I’d drop in even if I wasn’t participating (assuming that would be okay).

I could imagine we’d let non-participants join in. Even if you’re not writing you could still offer ideas.

Some writers that I know use Google Plus to do “hangouts.” I don’t know exactly how that works, because I haven’t done it. But I think it’s kind of like what you’re describing.

Yeah, something like that. I believe Bookmarfs uses Google Plus Hangouts for their monthly book discussions. I hear it works fairly well. There’s also the option of an IRC or something such as that if people with to chat non-orally.

I’ve wanted to do NaNowriMo, but the work I most want to sink that much time on is a half completed novella/novel I keep meaning to get back to. With the 25,00 words I have already, I’m not sure the completed thing will be 75,000 words. I can write 1,667 words a day, but I need to stay focused to do that every day for a month. I tend to have good spurts and periods where my day to day life keeps trying to take the wind out of my sails.

Still, I applaud anyone who can finish NaNoWriMo. Maybe this year I need to finally go for it and see what develops.