Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Day Nine: Modifier Exercsises

Today’s exercises are, hopefully, an exaggeration of the stacked modifier problem. I wanted to overdo it, but to be honest, I have seen things like this on the page too. Have some fun with it if you like, pick which, if any, of the modifiers you’d like to keep, or rework the sentence completely and come up with something better. 

Adjective Offenses:

The tall woman’s emerald green velvet dress brushed against the gleaming marble floors as she walked through the wide, ornate elvin hallway.

His dense brown fur lay thick and heavy in swirled patches across his broad, muscled shoulders and strong wide back.

The cool, crisp night air swirled around her ghostly pale skin, raising tiny white bumps. (a lot of the time you’ll find that stacked adjectives are different ways of saying the same thing, combining repetition and over modification. Here, ghostly, pale, and white all do the same thing. I’d probably use ghostly and kill the other two, but the choice would depend on the style of the story and the author’s voice. All of them together, however, is both redundant and overstated.)

He wore tall black leather boots and tight soft green trousers with a wide leather belt. A quilted red vest covered his puffy white satin shirt, and his fluffy orange hair was crowned by a pointy, green felt hat.
(okay, I write fantasy too, but sometimes the description of clothing is a dead giveaway that the author has a devotion to cosplay. Not a bad thing, but overdone it’s almost author intrusion. Some readers will forgive four paragraphs or pages outlining the history and evolution of your character’s tailoring culture, or a full list of the organic dyes used in your world… but I will never recommend it.  )

The jagged blue mountain peaks lifted high over the thick, spiky evergreen forest. A low sun painted the rolling hills in flaming golden orange and stark yellow. Puffy white clouds drifted between the darkening purple sky.

Adverb crimes:

Sue silently walked across the room. She quickly looked into the hallway before cautiously opening the door and stepping gingerly into the hallway.

He ran swiftly.
They laughed loudly.
We spoke rapidly.
(okay sometimes in short punchy sentences where you haven’t added too many elsewhere you can happily keep the adverb, but see what alternative verbs could replace these if you didn’t want to keep them as is.)

The ball rolled slowly across the pavement toward the swiftly moving traffic while the boy ran blindly after it.

Adjective Offenses:
The tall woman’s emerald green velvet dress brushed against the gleaming marble floors as she walked through the wide, ornate elvin hallway.

[ul][li]The woman’s green velvet dress caressed the marble floors as she walked through the elvin hallways[/li]

[list]
[li]Making assumptions about context…[/li]
[/list][/ul]

His dense brown fur lay thick and heavy in swirled patches across his broad, muscled shoulders and strong wide back.

[ul][li]His dense brown fur lay in swirled patched across his broad shoulders and wide back.[/li]

[list]
[li]Assuming this is an introductory line, so more words would be needed.[/li]
[/list][/ul]

The cool, crisp night air swirled around her ghostly pale skin, raising tiny white bumps.

• The crisp night air swirled around her pale skin, giving her gooseflesh.

He wore tall black leather boots and tight soft green trousers with a wide leather belt. A quilted red vest covered his puffy white satin shirt, and his fluffy orange hair was crowned by a pointy, green felt hat.

[ul][li]He wore dark leather boots and soft trousers with a wide belt. A red vest covered his satin shirt and above his flame-tinted hair sat a matching hat.[/li]

[list]
[li]Trying to give the audience benefit of the doubt and let them use their imagination[/li]
[/list][/ul]

The jagged blue mountain peaks lifted high over the thick, spiky evergreen forest. A low sun painted the rolling hills in flaming golden orange and stark yellow. Puffy white clouds drifted between the darkening purple sky.

• The mountain peaks stood high over the thick evergreen forest. A slow sun painted the rolling hills in flaming golden-orange. Puffy clouds drifted between the darkening sky.

Adverb crimes:
Sue silently walked across the room. She quickly looked into the hallway before cautiously opening the door and stepping gingerly into the hallway.

• Sue crept across the room. She glanced into the hallway before opening the door and snuck in.

He ran swiftly.

• He bolted.

They laughed loudly.

• They roared with laughter.

We spoke rapidly.

[ul][li]We spoke with urgency.[/li]

[list]
[li]I would rather show this, though. Why tell of a quick conversation when you can show it with clipped tags?[/li]
[/list][/ul]

The ball rolled slowly across the pavement toward the swiftly moving traffic while the boy ran blindly after it.

• The ball crawled across the pavement toward the speeding traffic. The boy gave chase, oblivious to the danger he charged toward.

Most fun practice yet. And the one I’ve changed the least.

I love the gooseflesh! What a great word. :slight_smile:
Super tactile and universal and still paints a total sensory picture.