Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Claw the Way to Victory: Anthropomorphics in Sports

Sports are a huge part of the lives of those all around the world, whether playing, watching, or working for. Fans of sports teams are some of the most enthusiastic people you will find.

How different would it be to play these sports with claws, hooves, and heightened senses?

What we’re looking for:

[ul][li]Stories that highlight the aspects of a sport (we will only allow one story for each type of sport) that would be different with an anthropomorphic character. For example (to borrow from Kyell Gold’s OoP series): tackling rules would be a bit different for those with horns in American football. They would need to be capped off in order to not possibly skewer the ones they are tackling. For another example: pachyderms/bovines in boxing may need to wear thicker gloves, since several writers/artist place these characters with hand/hoof combinations. Hooves hurt quite a bit more than fists would.[/li]
[li]Adult and sexual themes are allowed, but no descriptive sex. (You can tell Johnny how good he looks in those tight shorts, but I don’t want to see what’s actually in there.) We will also say no if your story reads out like it may have had a sex scene at one time, but was removed to fit it into this anthology (a story that has all of the lead-up, but none of the sex). Blood and injuries are okay (these are sports, after all), but no descriptive gore. We don’t need to know the exact degree that a character’s shoulder was bent in from an injury.[/li]
[li]The definition of ‘sport’ is debatable. I’m pretty lenient with this. In my view, any game played competitively can be considered a sport. I’m going to exclude competitive video-game playing, though. Sorry guys. If you have a question about something you may consider to be a sport, send an email.[/li]
[li]The sports do not have to be real sports. If you can make up an awesome-sounding sport that would be realistic and fun in an anthropomorphic animal world, go for it. However, if you’re going to make up a sport, I want to be immersed in it.[/li][/ul]

Guidelines:

[ul][li]Stories can have a G – R rating. Anything PG and lower I ask not be TOO childish. It’s fine if you want it to be safe enough for you 10-year-old sibling to read, but make sure it’ll be enjoyable for adult readers too. Anything higher-rated probably has too much sex and/or gore for this anthology.[/li]
[li]We’re looking for a range of 5k-11k words. I feel that for a category such as this, a bit more word count is required than usual. If your story falls out of this range, please send an email before submitting.[/li]
[li]We’re asking for first rights on this anthology. However, we are not counting self-publishing. As long as the story is taken down once it is accepted, we will accept a story that has been posted online. The story must stay down for the duration of time that it is in circulation with the publisher (whether Jaffa Books and/or another publisher that may publish this anthology outside of Australia), which will most likely be for eighteen months once the anthology is released into publication. [/li]
[li]This is a furry anthology, and with what we’re looking for, a fair number of the characters presented must be anthros. Human characters are allowed, but the anthros and the world they live in must be the focus.[/li]
[li]We will accept no more than 2 stories per person. Collaberated stories count as one story for each person involved.[/ul]

Preferred formatting:

[ul][li].doc or .rtf file (nothing else)[/li]
[li]Include a header on the upper-right corner of the first page with your name, title, and email.[/li]
[li]Pages numbered (bottom left-hand corner, please)[/li]
[li]Times New Roman (or any basic font), 12pt, double-spaced[/li][/ul]

Submission details:

[ul][li]Please send your work to sports@anthroaquatic.com[/li]
[li]Please format your subject line as: Submission - - [/li]
[li]Please include a cover letter with the following details:

[list]
[li]Your name (real name and, if applicable, pen/furry name)[/li]
[li]Story title[/li]
[li]Word count[/li]
[li]Summary of the story (I want no more than 3 well-developed sentences). If you need more than that, there’s probably too much going on in your story to be a short story.[/li]
[li]Submissions were due by May 1st, 2015[/li][/list][/li]
[li]Payment for accepted stories will be at a 1/2 cent (USD) per word rate.[/li][/ul]

For updates, please follow AnthroAquatic on twitter (@AnthroAquatic)

Sports that have been taken and accepted:

[ul][li]Discus (Frisbee would be too close to this as well, and thus is also considered taken)[/li]
[li]Boxing[/li]
[li]Baseball[/li]
[li]Rodeo[/li]
[li]Ping-Pong[/li]
[li]Sumo Wrestling[/li]
[li]Parkour[/li]
[li]Basketball[/li]
[li]Hang Gliding[/li]
[li]Figure Skating[/li]
[li]Fencing[/li][/ul]

Super psyched over this! Spirit and I are going to try for Polo, American Football, and ~maybe~ Martial Arts if no one else tackles it (still trying to figure out the changes that would be needed. Been over a decade and a half since I took any classes though, so someone else might be better qualified x.x).

Oh, and as a courtesy, once a story is accepted, I will post what sport it is in the main post. That will be an indication that we won’t be looking at any more stories from that sport. I’d recommend doing what Munchkin did here and call out a sport. That way, you have an idea what sports are being worked on.

So that’s why everyone’s been talking about sport in the shoutbox lately!

Because writers are such an athletic bunch :stuck_out_tongue:

You won’t believe how much my Twitter gets blown up whenever a sporting event comes on. A lot of American football, but also a good amount of soccer, tennis, wrestling (WWE stuff, but still, could make a good story), hockey, and several others. There are several people on my twitter trained in forms of martial arts. Especially with how broad a definition the word “sport” has, I think we could get some really interesting stories.

Ooo, a challenging concept.

Now…how to put in female betrayal… ::slight_smile:

Is that 1/2 cent USA or AUD?

Another anthology with a spring submission date? Wow

USD. Even if the publisher handles the payments (which we are still working on), AnthroAquatic will handle all conversion fees in that regard.

Set it for a month later than yours, and since this deadline is still a LONG time away, I can always play with it.

There’s also Roar and RF may have their date as April 1st as well

4 short stories (including the Noir anthology) in 6 months isn’t asking a ton, and that’s only providing these people want to submit to all 4. I think it’ll be fine =)

I know I’m submitting a couple to RF, and I want to try Roar though I have no idea what direction to go yet. I’m going to help Spirit with his RF entry, and I want to collab with him for the Noir one. I’m also trying for FF and one or two of the F2S anthologies. There’s also one at the end of January I had a special invite to.

…yeah, my plate is full x.x I might have to eliminate a few off that I don’t already have a clear idea for. Good news is there are definitely clear ideas for the Polo and A. Football ones at least.

throws jellocubes at You and your female betrayal! This might be a great anthology to break that streak with, y’know.

I’m mostly just teasing. Just a lot of busy writers after New Years

starts crafting a story about curling Yes, I call dibs on the sport everyone wanted to do the most. :stuck_out_tongue:

Could we please get a DIBS list separate from the Accepted list in case conversation swallows up a lot of the dibs?

Voice recommended this page in the Shoutbox, and I thought there were some great ideas on this list so I figured I’d share: http://list25.com/25-bizarre-sports-you-probably-never-heard-of/1/

One idea I’d personally love to see is Octopush, with the underdog land-based team fighting against a team of all aquatics!

If someone submits a story centred around the Gloucester Cheese Rolling Contest then I will love you for forever and a day.

working on a story for this right now. Glad it’s moving forward, as I’ve had this story in mind for years but never had an excuse to write it until now.

Seconded, I’d like to this this included in the OP as well.

I got a better one than that for you.

Also, I totally have a story idea for the anthology! I did not think I would!

I had answered this in the shoutbox, but for those that weren’t in there, I’m not going to do this. Most people aren’t going to read more than the first post, and a “dibs list” will make it look like those topics are actually taken. Until a stpry with that sport is actually accepted into the anthology, anyone can write about any sport.