Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Calls for submissions

Tempting. Very tempting indeed. Think I’ve a few ideas for this theme.

Apex Publications microfiction contest:

1. There will be five categories: sea monsters, black dog/Hellhounds, banshees, science experiments gone wrong, and demons (this can include wendigos, succubus, be creative). Write a story to fit one of these five categories, then submit it to apexwritingcontest@gmail.com with the subject line formatted as Title, Author, Category.
  2. This is a micro fiction contest. Stories must be 250 words or less. If a story is more than 250 words, it will be deleted unread.
  3. You can submit one story per category, five stories total. If you submit two banshee stories, we will consider the first story your submission.
  4. Send each story as a separate email with the story in the body of the email. No attachments, please.
  5. Submissions are open September 1st through October 15th. Submissions will be read by Jason Sizemore and Lesley Conner.
  6. Winners will be announced on Halloween on the Apex blog. There will be one winner per category.

…and their most recent post suggests they’re short on black dogs and science-gone-wrong…

Just updated the conbook page, adding info for Midwest Furfest:

http://furrywritersguild.com/non-paying-markets/convention-books/

Paying, nonpaying, and conbook market pages on the website all updated. If you know of a conbook (or anything else furry-related) that’s open for submissions and isn’t listed, post it here so I can add it. :slight_smile:

See reply #59 by Poetigress. I have accepted two stories for The Furry Future, by David Hopkins and Michael Payne. About a dozen people have said “maybe”. There is still room for plenty more before the December 1 deadline. Contact me if you’re interested.

The deadline is Dec 1st now? I thought it was Nov 1st. Would definitely mean I’d have enough time to write my story

I hope it is December because I’ve got a pretty good one that I’m working on for it, but pushing it with the Nov deadline.

The original email says “our deadline to accept proposed submissions is November 1, 2014, with the deadline for finished stories of December 1.” I’m not sure exactly what’s meant by “proposed submissions,” though. (I’d assumed it meant the deadline for writers sending something in was November 1, then allowing a month to do edits so the stories would be in their final form and ready for the printer by December 1…?)

As in we send a writing proposal stating what our story is about? Because that’s a month’s difference in deadline.

If possible, Fred could you clarify please?

Yes, the final deadline for finished stories is December 1. If the writer has any questions about whether his/her plot is an acceptable one, or wants to have time to do a revision in case some of the writing needs to be improved, or if I have any questions that need to be answered, the deadline for that is November 1. For example, I have already turned down one proposal for what could be a good story for a different book, except it was not about real furry characters; it was about computer simulations of furry characters. I asked the writer to come up with another idea. If you are confidant that your story is good enough that it will be accepted immediately, then you can wait until December 1. If not, ask by November 1 so you will have a month to finish the story. On December 1, I have to send everything to FurPlanet Productions in Dallas to give them enough time to lay out the book and have it printed in time to go on sale at Further Confusion 2015 in mid-January.

I supposed I can post this here until FurPlanet posts it publicly

TBD Noir Anthology

The noir genre has become a classic staple in thrillers and action stories and has evolved over the years. I’m looking for your dark and gritty stories. Stories about love and loss, fighting against corruption and impossible odds, mysteries between killers and thieves. Tell me tales about the seedy underbelly of society, betrayal and revenge in all forms, anti-heros and femme fatales trapped in downward spirals where every victory still comes at a cost.

What I’m looking for:
Neo-Noir - The classic self monologuing detective story set in the forties is fine and as acceptable as the rest, but don’t feel you’re boxed in to that setting. Neo-noir takes those classic noir themes and applies them in new settings with different twists and turns. Be courageous and try something new.

Go Deep - Show me what the true contempt of a man’s heart can bring out, what a person with no limits will do for their goal, how corrupt a person will go just to drag the one who scorned them down with them. Show me why these stories are told out in back alleys away from the public eye. Be unusual, be bizarre, have a twist or three. Surprise and amaze me.

Furry - This is a furry anthology so having either feral or anthropomorphic characters is a must. Don’t look at this as a requirement but as something to give your story some spice and do something different with the genre. Mixed race (ex: Humans and Furs) is also fine.

Adult and Sexual themes are allowed - Graphic sex and excessive violence/gore is not. Make sure it’s crucial to the story if you’re going to include anything sexual. Otherwise feel free to play around and be as light or dark with your story as you wish.

Basic Guidelines:

• Stories can range between PG to R rating.
  • Maximum of 10k words. If you need more than that, please contact me with your story synopsis and why you need more words before submitting.
  • Original stories only. Nothing that has already seen print or been posted online.

Document Formatting:

• .doc file
  • Include a header on each page with: Author, Title, Email
  • Page numbers centered at the bottom of each page
  • Courier new, 12 pt font

Send submissions to TigroxTales@gmail.com with the subject “Noir - [Author] - [Story Title]”
Please include a cover letter with the following details:

• Your name and story title
  • Word count
  • Summary of the story

Follow @TigroxTales on twitter for updates
Submissions are due by March 1st.

Is the payment for that 1/2 cent a word?

I think so as that’s FP’s standard rate. I’m still waiting for confirmation from Fuzz on everything

frantically adds things to submissions spreadsheet

And cause Roar and Noir isn’t enough for new submissions…

RainFurrest announced that next year's theme is "Swords and Sorcery". They will again be looking for stories fitting that theme for their charity anthology to be released at RainFurrest 2015

Details should come out later but I imagine it will be very similar to previous years. Stories ranging from 5-12k, PG, your submission is considered donated (may want to make sure if they don’t accept it, you can still use it elsewhere). I think due date last year was end of March or April? So yeah, three more anthologies with due dates in the Spring.

Just confirming we’re going with the standard 1/2 cent per word rate for the noir anthology.

Just FYI, so far as we’ve functioned with it, Rainfurrest does not own or retain the rights to stories not accepted for the Charity Anthology. I believe Mary asked that question first a couple years ago when we took one of her stories, but not the other.

There’s never been a formal contract for it, just the advisory that all works are considered donated, and no profits will be made by either the authors or creators of this work. So yeah… we don’t see a penny of it.

Basically, the sale of the books covers initially the cost of printing + the copies that are given to the writers and the cover artist, plus any we need for things like the charity auction. After Furplanet has recouped, everything else is sent to RF as a check that is then forwarded to the current charity.

I assume that in the case of Accepted stories, all rights are given back to the author after publication, so you can reprint it if you want? Or is the story considered “donated” and the rights stay with RF?

I will have to talk to RF’s legal guy about that… so I can’t give you an answer now.

Write to Woof
http://greywolfepublishing.com/Write%20To%20Woof%202015.html

Dog-themed charity antho, short stories and essays up to 8K, poetry to 45 lines. Multiple submissions (up to 5), simultaneous submissions, and reprints all okay. Deadline February 14.

(They apparently also do “Write to Meow” and “Write to Wildlife,” but not sure if those are open currently.)

[Edited to add - Write to Wildlife]