Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Writing Podcasts

Writing Podcasts
Know of any?

Since I’m one of the hosts, I might as well mention this on here:

Fangs and Fonts
http://www.fangsandfonts.com/

We are a writing podcast that sometimes touches on furry themes because all the hosts are furries themselves. Since all the hosts are at different levels of skill and publication, there is a good chance you can related to at least one of them. We cover many topics, from basics to advanced writing topics, to publishing, to marketing yourself.

And we always love feedback. :smiley:

Oh cool! I’m always looking for more podcasts to listen to; they’re great while doing housekeeping.

The only other distinctly writing podcast I listen to currently is Unsheathed (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/unsheathed/), with Kyell Gold and KM Hirosaki, which is currently on hiatus I believe? It’s more adult furry fiction oriented, but they do a lot of general writing stuff. Anyways, the hosts have great chemistry and every show is hilarious. Though the RSS feed links are borked, and don’t play the full eps :confused:

I don’t listen to many podcasts anymore, but in the non-furry realm I used to like Writing Excuses (the 15 minute length is a nice bonus). I also recommend the Odyssey podcasts, although because those are excerpts from the Odyssey writing workshops, they’re not necessarily geared toward beginning writers.

Also, this is almost off-topic because it’s not technically about writing, but I take every chance I can get to recommend the Anthro Dreams podcast, which to my knowledge is the only all-fiction podcast in the fandom. It’s been on a bit of a hiatus over the summer but should be back soon, and features a wide variety of anthro-themed fiction. (And yeah, they’ve published some of my stuff too over the years.) 8)

(And I have the first 4 episodes of F&F currently on my iPod, and I swear I will get around to listening to them soon…)

Another really good one that got me into writing alongside UnSheathed is:

The Dead Robots Society
http://deadrobotssociety.com/

They have been going for many, many years, and I find that each of their episodes has at least something that I find useful.

If you guys were interested, there’s a furry podcast called Fur What It’s Worth, and they’ll be taking short story submissions for their yearly Hallowe’en special pretty soon! Their website (along with their contact info) can be found here: http://www.furwhatitsworth.com/

The only things they ask is that it doesn’t get too graphic and that it stays under two pages due to time constraints.

Ooh, cheers for that!

There’s also Mur Lafferty’s ‘I Should Be Writing’ podcast, which has been running for quite some time. Mur was one of the pioneers in podcasting, and has had some success transitioning from podcast author to published author.

The odyssey podcast had some great recordings of panelists doing writing workshops (for the odyssey writers charitable trust, worth a googling) Top authors, editors and even agents do lectures that are very informative, although sometimes the sound quality makes them a bit hard to hear on the earlier casts.

Even now, every time I see the title of this thread, I think it refers to how to write a podcast. XD

That’d be a good thread to start.

FnF deals with writing craft. Do others here also do that, or is it more … faffing about? Too many podcasts I get frustrated because I didn’t learn anything after listening.

The Odyssey ones are basically fluffless, since they’re all excerpts from lectures.

Writing Excuses episodes are 20 minutes long, and geared more for experienced writers. Each episode has an Audible ad right in the middle of it, which doesn’t bug some, but annoys the hell out of me.

I Should Be Writing tends to be short as well. However, she tends to take long pauses during her recording and I find she whines a fair bit at times.

Fangs and Fonts is a lot longer, often one hour long. We tend to be pretty good about discussing writing though the odd time we get off track. (this doesn’t last too long) We have a wide variety of experience levels amongst the hosts and we all write widely different genres. Though the cast itself isn’t furry, since the hosts are we tend to bring furry into whatever topic we talk about.

Dead Robots Society was one of the podcasts I cut my teeth on. They are about an hour long. Once you get past their talk of their own works, they tend to have some pretty informative talks. Recently they did a good couple casts on self marketing, taxes (in the States), and discoverability.

Unsheathed is easily the first and foremost podcast on furry (erotic) writing. Though it looks like they have stalled at this point, they have a large amount of back recorded episodes that contain a lot of useful information. This podcast and Dead Robots were the two casts that got me back into writing and I owe them for that. Frane and Gold are excellent hosts that made me laugh out loud more than once.

Writers on Writing recorded at a university, I couldn’t get past the first ten minutes of the podcast. One hosts interviews a writer/publisher/editor and they often do two guests per episode. Very much has the feel of university radio and each episode tends to be rather long. If I had more time I would give it another go, but with all of the above, I don’t right now.

Grammar Girl has lots of useful information, episodes tend to be short, and all in all I really enjoy how she manages to keep the episodes entertaining as well as informative. Personal favorite was the one on the Canadian accent and why it buggers with Americans. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is very informative Voice! Thank you.