Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Wordpress Themes

I’ve been poking at Wordpress, trying to figure out how to put something like an e-zine together. Does anyone here have any experience with Wordpress? If so, are there any themes that would be particularly good for an e-zine?

So far, I’ve just been using the default theme “Twenty Sixteen,” but it doesn’t seem to be very powerful. I also experimented with downloading “Pilcrow,” since that’s what Allasso seemed to use – I like the look of it, but it apparently hasn’t been updated in a couple of years, and I don’t have a particularly good reason to prefer it over the default, so it seemed safer to go with something that’s been more recently updated. Basically, there are a ton of themes to choose from, and I was hoping to find a faster way to pick than “try them all!”

If you’re looking for a premade theme, you’re probably going to end up spending some time poking through https://theme.wordpress.com and seeing what strikes your fancy (and what you’re willing to pay for). Each theme has screenshots and a live demo site there, so it’s a good starting point.

There’s a magazine theme category which may or may not be useful. (The theme that Claw & Quill currently uses, “Zuki,” is in there, although I’m hoping to get a custom theme done sometime relatively early next year.)

Is this a commercial enterprise, or just for fun? If commercial I’d pick something that can easily grow heated and controversial, where definite, strong literary statements can be made. If for fun, that’s the last direction I’d go.