Furry Writers' Guild Forum

VancouFur 2015

VancouFur 2015 - March 5-8, 2015 - Vancouver, BC
“Film Noir: Gangsters and Gumshoes”

I’m the lead for the Writing Track at VancouFur and could use some assistance - if anyone is planning to attend who would be interested in sitting on panels, please let me know! And if you could spread the word among others who might be coming, I’d appreciate it.

I’m also Conbook Lead, and am happily accepting submissions of stories and art. Our theme this year is Film Noir - Gangsters and Gumshoes. Guidelines are on the website if you’re interested!

That’s a brilliant theme! I might be able to manage the gumshoe bit but I have zero knowledge of Vancouver, unfortunately!

There are two great little books about Vancouver’s seedy history.

The first I have read, called 'Vancouver Noir: 1930-1960", is deep into the kind of things this theme deserves. I might just be borrowing a murder from this book as inspiration for a story.

The other one is something I want to pick up as it was just released at the beginning of September. Vancouver Confidential. Apparently it is a collaboration of a bunch of artists and writers who plumbed Vancouver’s history looking for cool facts. I really want to get my hands on this one.

There is also the guy who used to run the police museum in Vancouver, and ran tours of Vancouver based off this sort of thing. Neat guy, who I happen to know through geocaching.

Anyways, just wanted to share the books as inspirational material.

I’m happy to accept anything in the genre, actually, not just vancouver-related material!