Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Ursa Major, Part 1

Hello!

The following is a novella, the first work in a series I hope to publish over the next few years. It was originally written as a prompt on the Transformation Archive Mailing List to write a story about a summer ‘transformation’ camp, in which youngsters are TF’ed into animals or… something

Regretfully, cutting and pasting this work here has stripped out the italics (and certain other less-important formatting), and italics are particularly important for this work as the protagonist has a sort of “inner dialogue” going in his mind at times. I don’t know how to replace them or I would. Given this foreknowledge I think it’ll read okay as-is-- there’s not all that much of it.

If I sell this work to the planned market, a professional editor is gonna look for typos and such-- that’s not the sort of criticism I’m looking for. Rather, I hope to learn what this work’s basic weaknesses are, and how to make them better if possible. There are specific aspects of this story, in fact, that worry me–that’s why it’s been posted here. But I’m deliberately not bringing them up, becasue I don’t want to bring attention to them ahead of time and thus magnify the potential issue out of proportion.

I’m also forced to post it in pieces, since it’s too large for one post.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Phil

Johnstown Station wasn’t anything special, I decided as the train slowly ground to halt before the brand-new building’s platform. Nor had I really expected it to be, despite all the fanfare over the recent flood. There might still be plenty of debris about, but predictably enough everything had been cleaned up here, where travelers like me might actually get to see something interesting for once. Though, I had to admit, the Rocky Mountains had been pretty nifty. And so had the big terminal in Chicago, in a different and somewhat scarier sort of way. Other than that, the stations all looked alike, the cheap seats all rubbed me raw in the same places, and the whole trip was mostly a blur, all the weary way back to Seattle.
“This is your stop, son,” the elderly conductor reminded me with a smile, and I returned the expression dutifully as the engine whistled its greeting to Johnstown. Everyone seemed terribly worried that I was traveling alone while still so young, but that was mostly because they didn’t know me very well. Sister Magdalene hadn’t been concerned at all; she’d just handed me two dollars and fifty cents for food and other expenses—heaven only knew where she’d found it!—and two slices of my favorite blueberry pie wrapped up in paper.
“You’ll be fine,” she reassured me, patting my head and making me blush like she usually did. I was sort of her favorite, and we both knew it. “Just send me a postcard when you arrive—I’m sure the Sorcerer’s Guild can spare you one—and let me know that you’re safe.” Then she cupped my face into her hands and raised it up so that I had to look into her eyes. “All right?”
“All right,” I agreed. The truth was, I’d never left the City of Seattle before in my entire life, and the very idea of such a long journey was enough to give me nightmares. But I’d never let Sister Magdalene know it. And sure enough, she’d proven right, as always. Here I was safe and sound at my last stop, all the way across the country in Pennsylvania. All I had to do was find the other kids scheduled for Transformation Testing and sit quietly with them until the coach arrived from Devard Castle to take us up into the hills. This was something a resourceful boy of fourteen ought to be able to handle, I reassured myself as I picked up my father’s old Gladstone bag and carried it briskly inside the station house. Once an urgent personal need was taken care of, that was…
“You’re a big damn pussy!” a boy’s voice cried out from around the corner where I expected to find the lavatory.
“A pussy!” another younger voice repeated, laughing so hard that I thought he might actually strangle himself.
“I’m not going to fight you,” an equally young voice replied in dead-calm tones. “It wouldn’t prove anything.”
“Leave him alone!” a female added. “He hasn’t done anything to you!”
“Meow!” the first boy taunted. “Meow, meow, meow!”
“I told you…” the calm voice replied.
And that was quite enough. Something always happens deep inside of me when one kid taunts another—Sister Magdelene says it’s wrong, and that I need to pray for control and forgiveness. But, somehow, I can’t ever make the effort sound sincere. Probably because it’s not. “Who’s a pussy?” I demanded, rounding the corner suitcase in hand…
…and then my jaw dropped, for standing in front me was a kid my own age, wearing a black bodysuit, cat-ears, and even a tail, for heaven’s sake! I couldn’t help but stare a moment.
“See?” the laughing hyena asked. “Ain’t it the cutest thing you ever laid your peepers on?”
My jaw worked, then I turned to the younger child. “Beat it,” I ordered.
“Whose going to make him?” the other boy demanded.
“Me,” I replied evenly, putting down my Gladstone and carefully removing the tattered, many-times-mended jacket which was the finest garment I owned.
“Right!” the bigger kid answered, grinning at his accomplice. He was maybe a head taller than me, and almost as burly as I was. “This is going to be—“
But he never finished the sentence. Where he expected fisticuffs, I hit him low with my shoulder, a deep snarl in my throat, driving him backwards so hard that when he finally hit the railing he tumbled over the top and fell to the ground perhaps six feet below. Fortunately there were rose bushes planted there, to break his fall. “Ow!” he cried out. “No fair!”
I looked down and shrugged. “Sorry about that. I suppose I got carried away. It happens sometimes.” I tilted my head to one side. “Care to climb back up and try again?”
“I think you broke my damn arm!”
I shrugged. “Maybe when you’re all healed up, in that case.” Then I turned to the smaller boy, who didn’t think the situation was so funny anymore. All I had to was cock an eyebrow, and he was off like the wind.
“Wow!” the cat-boy observed, his eyes wide. Then he applauded, silently because of his black skin-tight fitting gloves. “That was great!”
“Crude,” the girl agreed. “But effective.” Her eyebrows rose. “You aren’t perhaps waiting for a coach, are you? To Devard Castle.”
“I might be,” I allowed.
“Good,” she replied, as if the matter were settled. “You can sit with us, then. Obviously, there’s a severe shortage of gentlemen hereabouts.”

“…Mom’s been dressing me like this since before I can remember,” Midnight explained eagerly. He talked fast, Midnight did, once you got him going. Though he was unusually quiet and shy until then. I reckoned this was probably because the other kids where he grew up probably wouldn’t have much to do with him. “I’m obviously cat-marked,” he explained. “So I’ve always known I’ll end up becoming a familiar.”
I nodded slowly, not really wanting to stop chewing and swallowing long enough to speak. Cynthia had bought me a nice hot bowl of stew, once she figured out that I hadn’t eaten in a couple days. I never did understand how it was that she could tell. Sister Magdalene apparently hadn’t taken a trip by rail in a very long time; my two dollars and fifty cents had run out in Chicago.
Midnight—it was his real, honest-to-goodness legal name, apparently—smiled. “I might as well dress like this, as thoroughly Marked as I am. It helps me get used to the idea, like. And other folks don’t think it’s so strange, once they see the alternative.”
“Show him!” Cynthia urged. Then she looked at me. “You won’t believe it!”
Midnight frowned, then nodded and lowered his hood. For just a second his ash-blonde hair blew freely in the wind…
…and then transformed itself into short black fur, topped with a pair of vague black ears that hurt a little to look at.
“Wow!” I declared, so surprised that for a few seconds I forgot that I was hungry. “That’s…”
“Disturbing, apparently,” Midnight finished for me, looking a bit glum. “So long as I wear some kind of ear-hat, they meld in so you can’t see them.” He reached down and fingered his long, black tail. “This works the same way. Except I can actually feel it.”
I shook my head; maybe the getup actually made sense after all. “Being Changed might almost be a relief, for you.”
He nodded eagerly. “I can’t wait! I’m so tired of being stared at when I play with my yarn-ball! Mom’s all excited, too. She says that when I come back home to visit, I’ll have the best pet bed in the world waiting for me! Right out of the Monkey-Ward catalog.”
I nodded again, trying not to let my face show how I really felt. My own Mark hadn’t shown up until a few months before, and it was a pale, pathetic thing compared to Midnight’s. Father Branson spent hour after hour saying Hail Mary’s with me to make it go away. But as Sister Magdelene predicted, nothing worked. She was going to get into a lot of trouble, I knew, if Father Branson ever found out she’d helped me accept the Sorcerer’s invitation for a tryout.
“I’m going to be a snake, I think,” Cynthia declared, showing me her palms. This was where most Marks manifested themselves. Sure enough, you could see where the lines formed a girl’s head sort of blurrily sitting atop a long neck that was bent too sharply and in too many places to be human. She shook her head. “I don’t like snakes. But if I am one, I hope I’m venomous. Because if so, there won’t be anything to decide. The Guild won’t accept dangerous familiars, because sometimes the spells make us go out of our heads.” She turned away. “And Dad’s convinced we’re going to be rich. If I say ‘no’ when the answer could’ve been ‘yes’, he’ll hate me for the rest of his life.”
I nodded slowly. People who could become familiars were rare creatures indeed, even rarer than those able to practice magic directly. For that reason they were paid a millionaire’s wages and allowed to do pretty much whatever they chose when not needed in person for a spell—which worked out to be better than ninety-nine percent of the time. Familiars therefore often traveled the world, collected art… anything that struck their fancy, so long as they could do it with a full-animal body. I scowled—it was going to be a tough decision for me as well. If the option even presented itself, that was.
“What’s your mark, David?” Midnight asked eventually.
I sighed as my hands involuntarily clenched themselves into fists. Then I forced them to relax. I had nothing to be ashamed of, I reminded myself. Not here at least, in front of a snake and a cat. “No one seems to know,” I answered, holding a hand out to each of my new friends—they were mirror-imaged.
“Interesting!” Cynthia declared, looking at the vaguely paw-pad shaped darkened areas in my flesh. The animal-toes lined up perfectly with my finger-bones, but the print was too blurry to reveal anything further.
“Maybe you’re a cat, too!” Midnight offered.
“Maybe,” I answered, drawing my hands back. I’d been so ashamed when the Marks first emerged that for weeks I kept them hidden away, until finally I skinned my hand stealing third and Sister Magdalene couldn’t help but see as she dressed the wound. Then Father Branson had made a big deal over it, and the other kids had all wanted to see, and… Suddenly I was blushing bright, bright red.
“It’s all right,” Cynthia offered, smiling. “Most Marked people can’t be sure of what they are.” She nodded towards Midnight. “Unlike our kittenish friend here.”
“Being a cat is great!” the young man in black replied. He leaned back in his seat in a grace-filled feline motion. Even his shoes, I noted, were tight-fitting black slippers, well-worn enough that I suspected they were all he ever put on his feet. “I sure hope you’re one too!”
“It’d be nice,” I agreed, looking down at my Gladstone. It seemed pitifully small, next Midnight’s ornate travel-trunk and Cynthia’s even more extensive baggage-train. Yet it contained everything I owned. People who had inner animals almost always shared many of the characteristics of that animal, I knew—this was basic magical theory, so well-known that the sorcerers didn’t even try to hush it up.
So what was I, if not a churchmouse?

I grew sleepy after eating, and it was nice to have friends around to watch my luggage while I gave into the urge and snored away. Especially it was nice after the long, miserable trip I’d just taken. So it didn’t seem like any time at all had passed before Midnight elbowed me in the ribs. “David!” Cynthia added, shaking my shoulder. “The coach is coming!”
It hadn’t felt like I’d been out long, no. But now the sun hung low in the western sky, and the approaching coach’s shadow was long and distorted. And what a coach it was! A magnificent thing, all brass and blue lacquer, with a luxurious tan seat for the coachman. I squinted… My heavens, was he wearing a wizard’s robe?
“This is Ted Andrews,” Midnight continued after I finished rubbing my eyes and stretching cramped muscles. Why the railroads couldn’t design better benches to sleep on, I hadn’t a clue. “He’s a—“
“Sparrow,” I finished for him, extending my hand to shake that of the dimunitive boy standing before me. “You just have to be a sparrow, looking like that. I’m David, by the way. David Speiss.”
The tiny boy laughed and blinked his black, beady eyes. “I think I’m a sparrow,” he agreed. “Or maybe even a hummingbird. But wouldn’t it be funny if I turned out to be a Great Dane or something like that instead?”
I grinned back, and a rich-looking girl in an expensive pink dress stepped forward. “I’m Carmen,” she explained in a snooty upper-class accent, though her words were kind. She offered her hand delicately. “If I understand correctly, I’m already in your debt. For protecting Midnight; he’s an old friend, you see.”
I’d never had a girl offer me her hand before, especially not a hand wrapped up in a genuine white China-silk glove. For just a moment I felt like turning and running just as fast as I could back to Seattle; my dad had worked for railroads until he got killed, while it looked as if Carmen’s father owned railroads. But, somehow, I couldn’t just ignore her—she didn’t deserve to be treated that way, snooty accent or no. So, I carefully removed my straw hat and bowed, then raised her hand and brushed it delicately with my lips. “Charmed,” I heard myself murmur, as if I dealt with this sort of thing every day.
“I’m sure,” Carmen replied politely, pulling her hand back and blushing a little herself now.
Then Cynthia interrupted. “We’d better hurry up and get our stuff,” she observed. “The coach is almost here, and they say wizards don’t care to kept waiting.”

“Frederick Jones?” the sorceress who’d ridden out from Devard Castle to pick us up called for perhaps the dozenth time. She wore apprentice green, and had told us to call her ‘Guardian’. Magic-users, of course, couldn’t afford to give out their real names. “Frederick?” Her tone was growing increasingly worried.
“Where’s he from?” Cynthia asked. “I can check to see if the train’s arrived.”
“Port St. Louis, Mississippi,” the young sorceress replied, her scowl intensifying. She was only a couple years older than I was. “And it has indeed arrived; I’ve already checked. But where’s Frederick?” She shook her head. “This rule about prospective familiars being required to travel without supervision is so stupid…”
“It’s meant to help ensure that we’re mature enough to make our own decisions,” Carmen pointed out. Then she smiled. “Besides, it was sort of fun not having Na-na along.”
Guardian’s scowl deepened, but she said nothing. Then I had a brainwave. “You said he’s from Mississippi?”
Guardian nodded. “That’s right.”
“Let me check something,” I replied. “Don’t leave without me!” And then I was off like a rocket to another part of the station. The one where all the colored people sat. “Frederick Jones!” I called out, sticking my head in the door. “Are you here?”
“That’s him,” an elderly woman answered, pointing with her thumb. Sure enough, he was a boy just about my own age, dressed in rags even more disreputable than my own. But he didn’t even raise his eyes.
“Are you going to Devard Castle?” I demanded. “If so, you’d better hurry. The coach is here, and everyone’s waiting.”
Finally, the boy looked up at me. “They won’ lemme outta here,” he explained. “They say we niggers ain’t allowed out on the platform.”
Being from Seattle, I didn’t know much about negroes. But I did know something about sorcerers, so I felt that I was on pretty solid ground. “You come with me,” I declared, walking over and picking up a blanket-wrapped bundle that looked like it might belong to Frederick. “And if anyone tries to stop us, I’ll deal with it.”
His eyes narrowed, then he shook his head doubtfully. But when I turned and began walking, he followed. Sure enough, we weren’t ten paces out the door when a big red-faced man in a conductor’s uniform pointed his finger at Freddie. “Hey, boy!” he began. “I’ve already warned you once that—“
“We’re with her!” I interrupted, pointing innocently at Guardian. Who, as it happened, stood out rather well among the crowd in her outlandish clothing, despite the fact that her back was turned. “On our way to Devard Castle!”
The man’s face hardened, then he worked his jaw twice before speaking. “They’re evaluating a darkie?” he finally asked. “For a familiar?”
“Maybe,” I replied, shrugging. Then I nodded towards the green-robed figure. “Want to ask her about it?”
His jaw worked again angrily, then he looked away. Wizards were notoriously jealous of their privacy, and equally famous for their barbed tongues. “Go ahead,” he said at last. “He’s still just a child, after all. But be quick about it!”
Guardian was relieved indeed to see Frederick—“I’m sorry; I had no idea that you were a negro,” she explained to him. Then she gave me an extra-pretty smile by way of thanks, and we all loaded up for the long ride to Devard, up in the mountains.
The last thing that I thought I wanted to do was take a long coach ride so soon after spending nearly a week aboard trains, but this trip wasn’t half so bad as I imagined it’d be. Partly that was because of who I was with—kids like Midnight and little birdlike Timmy were nothing if not interesting to be around, while both Carmen and Cynthia were surprisingly pleasant company as well, for girls. Only Frederick sat silent and immobile, tucked into his own little corner. Plus, Guardian left the little talk-through window behind her open, so that she was able to join in the conversation from time to time and even sometimes laugh along with us. But what was truly spectacular was the scenery! The greatest, most deadly flood anyone had ever known had roared down this valley not eleven years before, and the damage was still plain to see everywhere. As we made our slow, painful progress up what was clearly still a temporary road, our chatter first slowed and then died out altogether at the sheer scale of what we were experiencing. There were massive gullies scoured out of the earth, decaying hundred-foot trees lay lined up like soldiers fallen in their ranks, and the broken remains of a thousand buildings was stirred liberally through it all. Once we even saw a toppled, crumpled locomotive far from any discernible tracks and not yet salvaged for scrap. Finally, just at sunset, the trail came to a little high point that overlooked the worst of the damage, and Guardian pulled up next to a flower-bedecked cross. “Get out, children,” she gently ordered, setting the coach’s brake. “This is the site of your first lesson.”
“Eleven years ago,” she began, “one of the greatest tragedies in the history of America happened here.” Her face fell. “And we sorcerers failed to prevent it, despite the fact that the dam which failed was located less than ten miles from one of our largest castles.”
There was another long silence, which I took advantage of to read the inscription on the cross. “To the memory of over two thousand dead,” it said. “Taken by the raging waters.”
“There are never enough sorcerers to go around,” Guardian continued. “Not by half. And scrying is difficult, time-consuming work.” She shook her head. “But still, you’d think that we’d have found the Pit developing beneath the dam, so nearby.”
I nodded slowly. There were still a lot of hard feelings over that, no matter how much other good the wizards had done humanity.
“This is why sorcery is so important,” Guardian continued, gesturing out over the debris-clogged valley. “And why we’re about to ask you children to make such sacrifices.” She bowed her head. “For all our squabbling and shortcomings, none of us wizards ever want to see anything like this happen again.”

It was almost ten at night before we arrived at Devard, tired and perhaps a bit frightened. Our route—there was no other-- had taken us within three hundred yards of the open Pit that’d triggered the Johnstown Flood, and the Sorcerer’s Guild was still studying the problem of how best to permanently seal it. In the meantime it remained a gaping window into the Underworld, full of the stuff of nightmares. No less than three sorcerers stood guard over it at all times; there was no danger of anything escaping. But the gaping black maw of the thing was terrible enough in its own right; Guardian suggested that we not look, but of course we all did anyway.
So it was a muted, tired group of children who came staggering in out of the night once we finally arrived at Devard’s main hall. I helped carry some of Cynthia’s luggage, and Freddie wordlessly shouldered two of Carmen’s trunks besides his own bedroll; clearly, he was much stronger than he looked. “This is the last load,” Guardian said as an elderly senior wizard wrapped in the highest-ranking gray greeted her.
“Twenty-seven in all,” he replied, shaking his head sadly. “Fewer every year, it seems, even as the population as a whole rises. Are there truly not so many candidates, or are the parents less forthcoming? There’s no way to know, I suppose.” He sighed, then forced a smile and raised his voice for attention. “Welcome to Devard Castle!” he greeted us latecomers.” Then he gestured toward the two rows of benches, where the rest of the kids were sitting and looking us over. “You may call me Shaper, though of course that’s not my true name.” He smiled again. “And I’ll be learning all of yours just as soon as I possibly can.” He looked at Midnight and smiled. “Those I don’t already know, at least. But for tonight, we’ll move as quickly as possible because I know you newcomers must be exhausted after your long journeys.” He smiled as we took our seats; I ended up in back, squeezed between Timmy and Freddie. “We wizards don’t often openly speak of magical truths,” he began once we were settled in. “Yet the significance of the seventh New Moon of the year is widely known to all. Can anyone tell me why?”
“Because that’s the only time a kid can be shapeshifted into animal form,” a young voice replied.
“And then only in their fourteenth year,” another added.
“Correct!” Shaper replied, his smile widening. “And I don’t need to tell you what you all share in common.”
A low rumble passed through the benches; no, he clearly did not need to tell us. “So, you also therefore must know the significance of the next full moon of the year?”
“That’s the only time you can change us back,” Midnight replied, his voice sober. “Ever.”
This time there was no rumble of conversation. “So,” Shaper continued, looking around and meeting all of our eyes one by one. “We have one week to prepare, and to determine whether or not you should be Changed. Then a fortnight for us to evaluate the Change, and for you to make what will surely be the single most important decision of your entire lives.” He sighed. “It’s not nearly enough time. In fact, it’s an affront to humanity that you’re required to make such a choice at all while still far too young. But this is how the universe works, and so far despite much hard work there’s nothing we sorcerers can do about it.” He scowled for perhaps a tenth of a second, then with a deliberate effort forced the usual smile back onto his face. “So… We’ve done all we can do here to set up the best program possible for you youngsters. Some school-type work is required, sure enough. And you’re going to be talked to and interviewed so many times over the next few days that I’m quite certain you’ll soon be sick and tired of it. But there’ll be time for fun as well, especially if you do in fact undergo the Change.” He smiled again, this time genuinely. “Think of this as one of those newfangled summer camps,” he urged. “Or a Transformation Camp, if you prefer. And, try to relax as much as you possibly can. We really, truly want you to reach the best decision possible, the one that’s right for you. And how can you know what’s right unless your minds are free and at ease?”

The next morning we were served one of the richest, most wonderful breakfasts I’d ever known—bottomless bowls of scrambled eggs, wonderful-smelling bacon and sausage, and best of all blueberry muffins! We all dug in like starving skeletons—Sister Magdalene says there’s no creature on earth with an appetite like that of a fourteen-year-old—and started to get to know each other a little bit better. All of us except poor Frederick, that is. Almost the very first thing, he poured a thick coating of molasses all over his food and three of the other boys pointed and elbowed each other and giggled uncontrollably. So quite deliberately I met their eyes and, while staring them down poured a like amount of molasses over my own meal. They didn’t say much of anything after that. But sadly neither did Frederick, who looked across at me a few times, then immediately turned his attention elsewhere whenever I noticed. The molasses was pretty darned good on the bacon and sausage, I decided, though the eggs weren’t any better for the addition. But the stuff was absolutely heavenly on blueberry muffins, so I chalked the whole thing up as a culinary success. Molasses and blueberry muffins—a match made in heaven!
After breakfast we were given a few minutes to clean up and just sort of lounge about—I spent the time with the boys I’d met at the railroad station, since the girls were all off doing whatever it is that females spend so much time fussing over wash-basins with. Frederick, Midnight, Timmy and myself were room-mates now, which was very nice in my book as all were neat and polite, while two out of three were also a lot of fun to be around. Freddie wasn’t in any way objectionable-- he didn’t smell bad, no matter what people said, nor could I look him in the eyes and imagine that he was naturally lazy or a thief. Sure, he was a little on the quiet side. But who wouldn’t be, given his situation? An hour didn’t pass, it seemed, but that someone found a way to pick on him or patronize him or do something else to make him feel small inside. Even the wizards, who seemed to be making some kind of special effort on his behalf, were part of the problem. “You three new boys will be staying together in Room Two-Oh-Nine,” Guardian had explained last night, as the big meeting broke up. Then she smiled at Frederick. “And you’ll stay with Cassie, our cook. She’s set up a nice little cot for you by the big stove.”
“Wait a minute,” I demanded. “Aren’t the other boys staying four to a room?”
Guardian blinked, as Freddie slowly picked up his blanket roll. “Well, yes! But…”
Midnight looked up at me, left eyebrow elegantly raised. Then he nodded. “Dave’s right,” he agreed. “We’re all familiar candidates here. Soon to become animals, even.” He crossed his arms, and so help me for a moment his eyes went green and slit-pupiled. “He’s not a bit blacker than I am, now is he?”
Then Timmy looked down at his shoes. “If I become a crow,” he pointed out, “I’ll be black too. No one’ll know the difference.”
“It don’t make no nohow to me, Missus,” Frederick interjected, looking down at his shoes. “The kitchen is jes fine. I’m only glad to be here at all.”
Guardian looked first at me, then at Timmy, and finally at Midnight. “Well,” she said finally, crossing her own arms. “Let me do some checking.” And sure enough a few minutes later she was back with new room assignments. “Freddie will get Bed Four,” she directed. “Though of course if he’d be more comfortable bunking in the kitchen with someone of his own race, he may do so.”
For a long moment the young negro looked terrified at being called upon to make such a momentous decision. Then he pressed his lips together. “I’ll stay wit’ de boys,” he finally answered in a near whisper. Then he looked up at us for just a second before lowering his eyes back to the floor. “Thank ya, sirs” he muttered.
And so, we’d become four.

The sorcerer who’d asked us to call him Shaper had promised us good old fashioned classwork, and he kept his word in full measure. We’d hardly picked out our seats in the big schoolroom when Guardian began passing out workbooks. “This is required,” she explained sternly. “Yes, we want you to relax and have a good time while you’re here. But we’re also not going to let your young brains turn into mush.”
A rusty-haired boy with extra-long arms and legs raised an oversized hand. “Why should we study?” he asked when called on. “If we’re going to be familiars, I mean? All we’re going to do is sit around and get paid. Or so people say.”
Guardian smiled. “That’s a fair question, Peter. And a good one as well. So I’ll take a little time answering it.” She walked up to the chalk board—it was black as a moonless night sky, and didn’t have a single crack; Sister Magdelene would’ve killed for it—and began writing as she spoke. “First,” she pointed out. “What you’ll be studying about is what a familiar does, and what it means to be one. That’s stuff you’ll need to know to make a good decision.” She smiled back at Peter, who nodded by way of conceding the point.
“But there’s more—a lot more. Yes, familiars end up with a lot of time on their hands. And that’s a good thing in the minds of we spellcasters, because when that’s the case it means nothing’s gone wrong. Sometimes, however…” She sighed. “I can’t talk a lot about this, but things do go wrong. And when they do, it’s a lucky wizard indeed who has an intelligent, able familiar at their side, ready to help dig them out of the mess they’ve suddenly found themself in.” Her smile faded. “We’re getting a little ahead of ourselves here— this part usually doesn’t get covered until the afternoon. But… You’re entitled to know that you’re not just being judged by what species you’ll become or how suitable your new form is for magical use. The nature of your character is also highly important—basic honesty and the like. Your intellectual abilities are a key factor too, as is, insofar as we can judge it, your level of personal courage.”
Her words were followed by a long, thoughtful silence. Then she smiled. “Don’t get me wrong—we’re not going to set impossible goals for you. We need familiars, after all, and there’s no hiding the shortage. You won’t have to memorize a hundred pages of spells in a month, like I did to get into the sorcerer’s academy.”
“And a good thing that is!” Midnight interjected. Then everyone laughed, including Guardian.
“Seriously now, children. Open your workbooks and begin with Part One. We’ll spend an hour on it, then take a little recess. Anyone who needs help, just raise your hand and someone will come to assist you.”
I didn’t raise my hand, of course; workbooks were my meat and potatoes. Dad had died when I was almost eight, and I’d been sent to the orphanage immediately after. They’d tried to put me with the second-graders, but I tore through the classes so quickly that by my tenth birthday I was just starting on the sixth. One of the reasons Sister Magdalene liked me so much, or so I supposed, was that I saved her a lot of work by teaching the math and science classes. I had plenty of time to do this because by now I was already all done with high school and so didn’t attend classes myself anymore. Sister Magdalene just let me read whatever I wanted to whenever I had spare time, and so long as I kept some of the titles hidden away from Father Branson both of us were plenty happy with the arrangement. When I turned sixteen I’d have to find my own way in the world, of course; there wasn’t much chance of an orphan like me going to college. In fact, I really should’ve been out on my own working a paying job already, and everyone knew it. But I was a good enough teacher that the always-broke parish didn’t have to hire another professional, so I’d been given a reprieve.
Therefore, the sixth-or-so grade level workbook that I’d been handed wasn’t much of an intellectual challenge, all the more so since most of the books I’d read recently were, naturally enough, about the whole ‘familiar’ situation. Some of them had condemned the whole concept as evil, more had praised sorcery as the highest expression of the American Way, while remarkably few had taken a more balanced approach, dealing with both the plusses and minuses in turn. None of them, however, had employed such simple phrasing as the three paragraphs we were expected to read before answering the equally inane questions. “A familiar who transformed into a spitting cobra would be rejected because _____________” the first question wanted to know, and it went downhill from there. I was done with the hour’s work in perhaps ten minutes, and after finishing I entertained myself by staring out at the beautiful summer day that was developing outside.
Or at least I started out staring at the summer day; in a matter of minutes I became aware that the four or five sorcerers endlessly circling the room, ostensibly to help us, were taking sidelong glances at me and subtly pointing out my apparent inattention to each other. This rather irritated me; after all, I was done with the assigned work, fair and square. And… Darn it! I was a teacher these days, not a student! Still, I managed to swallow my pride and stare down at the little book for perhaps another ten minutes before I grew so bored that I redipped my fountain pen and completed Part Two, without even being told. And then Part Three, and Part Four… In fact, I was well into Part Five before Guardian rang a little bell, and dismissed us all to go out and play.
“Yay!” I cried, as eager to stretch my legs as all the rest—Timmy had brought a baseball and a spare glove, and had promised me a game of catch. But I didn’t get ten feet before one of the watchers—a young man wearing a green robe—laid his hand on my shoulder and stopped me cold. “Your name is David, isn’t it?” he asked from behind a smile that I recognized right off as phoney.
“It is,” I agreed.
His fake smile widened. “I’m Proctor,” he explained. “And Shaper would like to see you immediately for your first interview.”

I knew something had gone badly wrong before I ever stepped into Shaper’s office; one time back when I was little I hit a baseball through Father Branson’s favorite stained-glass window. He knew it was an accident, so I didn’t get much of a whipping. But still… Everything had the same feel about it that I was experiencing now; the adults who wouldn’t meet my eyes, the long wait in an uncomfortable chair, the way I’d been pulled away from all my friends…
It was maybe half an hour before Shaper opened his door and gestured me in. I’d never been in a wizard’s office before, of course—almost no one had. It didn’t look all that weird, except for the old man’s tattered gray robe, the green sparkly flame that emerged from nowhere on his windowsill, and the way the letters and symbols on his grimoires got all blurry whenever I tried to look at them. “Sit down, young man,” he said with a smile, gesturing towards a plain wicker chair not any different than his own. “Make yourself comfortable.”
I really, truly wanted to do as I was told. But that particular order, making myself comfortable, was impossible to follow. So I improvised by faking a sunny smile instead. Then Shaper smiled back, and somehow I knew that he’d seen right through me. So I let my own expression fade and concentrated on not trembling instead.
“David,” he began eventually, picking up a thick file with my name on it from his desk. “You’ve come a long way to be with us.”
I nodded, but said nothing.
He opened the folder, muttering to himself. “Your moth—I mean Sister Magdelene, your guardian, thinks the world of you.” He paused again, reading some more, until his eyebrows rose. “She says that academically you’re quite exceptional.”
“I… I’ve finished high school, sir,” I replied, trying not to stutter. “I t-t-t-teach m-m-m…”
“Math and science,” the old man finished for me, nodding in approval. Then he lowered the folder and looked over the top of it at me. “I’ve taken on many an apprentice sorcerer based on less.”
I gulped, but said nothing.
“Yet, you’re Marked,” he replied with a sigh. “Which means it’s overwhelmingly unlikely that you’ll ever be able to cast a true spell on your own.” He shook his head. “That’s because being of crossed species is almost always distantly related to lycanthropy. That’s why your Changes are dictated by the Moon, just like theirs.”
I nodded and said nothing; even my most advanced books had said nothing of that!
“It’s no secret, but not often spoken of regardless. All you have to do is look closely at your friend Midnight, and you’ll understand a little better how the two phenomenons are intertwined.” He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. “Do you like Midnight?”
I nodded, and this time my smile was genuine. “He’s one of the neatest new friends I’ve ever made!” I sort of gushed.
Shaper’s eyes narrowed. “What makes him so neat?” he demanded.
I tilted my head to one side. “He’s different,” I explained, though it should‘ve been obvious to anyone. “In all sorts of wonderful ways.”
Shaper’s scowl deepened. “Most people don’t like things that’re different,” he replied. “They want to be around other people who are pretty much just like themselves.”
I shrugged. “I can’t answer for anyone else, sir. But… If they didn’t like Midnight, I can’t say that I’d likely think much of them.”
Shaper nodded slowly, then pulled a handwritten note from my folder. “This is a letter,” he explained. “One that I just received a few minutes ago—in fact, it’s why I kept you waiting so long.” His smile returned, though only briefly. “Originally you were brought here because you were accused of not being attentive enough to your workbook. But I think that little issue, at least, has been settled satisfactorily. In the future, you and anyone else finishing early will be permitted to leave the room.”
I nodded, feeling at least a little relieved.
“However… This letter is an altogether more serious matter.” He held it up in front of me. “It’s from a Mrs. Algood, of Johnstown. And it accuses you of breaking her son’s arm in a fight. Which you started.”
Suddenly my face hardened. “He was picking on Midnight!” I countered angrily. “And on Alicia too, sort of.”
“Picking on them,” Shaper agreed, looking deep into my eyes. “But not beating on them.”
There was a long, long silence while I stared once more out the window. “Why did you do it?” Shaper asked gently. “Tell me the truth now; nothing else will do. Was it because you wanted to impress the others?”
“No!” I answered, though my throat was closing up and I wanted to cry worse than I ever had since I was twelve. “I didn’t even know who they were yet! Midnight was just another kid who wore weird clothes.”
“Did this Algood boy laugh at you?” the old man asked, his eyes hard and intense.
“Not hardly! He wanted me to help him make fun of Midnight.” I shifted in my chair. “Sir… I really wasn’t sure about wanting to become a familiar, not at least until I got to know Midnight and some of the others and saw how wonderful it all could be. But now, I want it worse than—“
“Did it make you feel big and strong,” he interrupted remorselessly.
My heart sank. So my dream had ended before it’d ever really begun; I’d be on my way back to Seattle soon, more than likely destined to become a simple lumberman or sailor or fisherman… “No! I mean… He was no challenge. So beating him up couldn’t possibly make me feel better. And I stopped right away, once he wasn’t teasing anyone anymore.”
“Hmm,” Shaper mused thoughtfully. Then he paged through my file some more. “You have standard paw-Marks,” he noted. “The most common, least-revealing Marks of all.” He smiled gently. “May I look at them?”
Why not? I didn’t answer aloud. Instead I tried to control the sniffling and extended my hands, as ordered. If I had to remain human, I vowed, at least I’d do so as a man and not a sniveling little boy. Shaper examined my Marks carefully, then after warning me that it might hurt a little rubbed them hard with his thumb. “Ah!” he said eventually, smiling. “I still have the touch.”
“What?” I asked. “Can you tell what I am?”
“No,” he answered. “Not exactly. But… Look and tell me what you see.”
I pulled my hands back and examined them as carefully as I could with eyes that were still tear-blurred. Sure enough, two new and darker spots had revealed themselves, one on each palm. A matched pair of stylized arrowheads.
“Well!” Shaper declared. “That certainly helps clear things up in terms of your little scuffle, at least.” He smiled. “I had a hunch, and it turned out right after all.”
“What hunch?” I asked. “Please sir? What can you tell me?”
“You’re part Indian, aren’t you?” he asked. “You’re certainly a little dark-skinned to have a German last name.”
“Dad said so once,” I answered. “On his side. But he told me not to tell anyone, because… Well, people don’t like it.”
Shaper nodded smugly. “Your Sister Magdelene warned in her note to us that you could get a little carried away about certain things. Especially about people getting bullied.” His eyes grew distant. “And your actions regarding the colored boy—they fit in too, now that I think about it.” He smiled again. “Where exactly is your father from?”
“Alaska. He was born there.”
For just a moment Shaper’s smile slipped, then he recovered. “Well…” he explained. “Certain tribes in the Pacific Northwest—and that includes Alaska— were capable of performing primitive magical rituals. Like everyone else, they had superstitions about why some of them were Marked while most weren’t. But instead of things being like they were in Europe, where the Marked were burned alive, the Indians made people like you their holy men and tribal leaders.”
I nodded, still not quite understanding.
“They also noticed that Marks run in families. So, purely out of self-interest, they performed birth-rituals on all the offspring of certain bloodlines. To make them more responsive to the needs of the tribe, you see. Focus them on group welfare instead of, say, conquest. And incline them to use their native powers to protect the weak and innocent, should they be lucky enough to develop any. Like, say, those that Midnight has.”
I blinked. Had Dad actually… I mean, he’d also told me we were of a special Indian bloodline, but… And, Midnight had powers?
“Ha!” Shaper declared, slapping his knee in glee. “I’m certainly glad we worked this out; I’d have hated to lose you, son. Especially that way. But if you’ve been bespelled all your life as a Protector, who are we to fault you for acting in accord with your nature? It’s natural enough for you to still be a little lacking in restraint at fourteen, under the circumstances. For my two cents worth those Alaskan Indians in particular cast some damned fine spells; my guess is we couldn’t put a finer Guidance on your spirit if we tried. Besides… I’m why Frederick is here, see? And don’t think I haven’t taken full notice of everything you’ve done for him as well. All of which I now understand is perfectly, admirably in character for you.” Working very slowly, he folded up Mrs. Algood’s note and tore it into small pieces. “We’ll reimburse her son’s medical expenses, of course. And if complications set in we’ll even bespell the bone. But…” He made the last rip with relish, then a gesture sent the remains floating off to be devoured by the green flame. “Don’t get me wrong, son. There’s still a lot that can go wrong for you, and this old Indian spell may prove as much a hindrance as a help. I need to do more research. But, for what it’s worth you’ve just passed the ‘character’ tests cold. And the intellectual ones too, of course.” He smiled, stood and extended his hand. “There’s just one last thing,” he added as, still a bit bewildered, I completed the handshake. “Midnight is a very, very valuable commodity. You didn’t need to trouble yourself. We wouldn’t have let that ignorant little mundane touch a hair on his head. And you can take that to the bank. So next time you might want to consider being a bit more patient.”

Guardian came by to pick me up once Shaper was done with me, and I reckon she noticed right off that I’d been crying a little. She didn’t seem very happy about that, so instead of sending me immediately back to class she told me to take the rest of the morning off and rest in my room alone. I could rejoin the other candidates after lunch. Usually I wouldn’t have wanted things that way; I’d have washed my face, combed my hair, and just bulled right on through the rest of the day like nothing had ever happened. But Guardian looked so hurt that, just this once, I nodded and took things easy. That seemed to please her; which made me happy too. I liked her a lot.
So instead of sitting at a desk and pretending to work, I laid in my bunk and pretended to rest. Which made me smile a little; with most people the older they grew the less pretend-games they played. But in my case, it seemed like every year I was doing more of it. First I’d pretended to be a high-school graduate at fourteen, then I’d pretended to be a teacher, and now here I was not only pretending to be part-animal of some kind, but the product of some kind of lost Indian ritual that’d forever shaped who I was and what I might be…
I sighed and rolled over, for once wishing that Father Branson were around. I wanted to ask him some questions. Free will, I knew, was a mighty important thing once you started talking about the rights and wrong of life. A lot of the books I’d read recently had spared a chapter or two for Aquinas and his uncaused cause, so I thought I had at least a pretty fair handle on the subject. But… I’d just been told, to my plain, naked face, that I was who I was at least in part not because of choices I’d made but because of a spell that’d been cast so long ago I couldn’t even remember it. If this were true—and in my gut I knew that it was, because it explained so many things about me— then, well… How could I be held accountable for my choices on Judgment Day? Was God gonna just shrug and say “You never really had a choice, David, and that’s a valid excuse. Next!” And if I couldn’t be held accountable for my actions, then who could?
I sighed and shifted position again on my soft, comfortable mattress. It was a lot better than the one I had at home, which had springs sticking out of it so that I had to twist myself up just right if I wanted to get any rest. Most of the books on sorcery were all twisted and convoluted too, usually because they wanted to push one side of the issue or the other. Modern structured sorcery was only discovered in 1695, and hadn’t been of any practical use to anyone except a few half-mad eggheads until almost 1800. That was only about a hundred years ago, and while that felt like a mighty long time to me the books seemed to agree that in terms of figuring out What It All Means a century wasn’t much at all. So the books were filled with questions, not answers, no matter which side of the issue they argued. What were the ultimate truths? No one knew. Just, as I’d long since begun to suspect, Father Branson didn’t really know. Even though he honestly thought that he did.
And here I was, getting ready to wrap myself up into this great big whirlpool of unknownables, and not even as my own master at that! Because familiars, everyone knew, were ultimately property, every bit as much as Frederick’s mother and father—or at most his grandparents—had been property. The spells wouldn’t work otherwise—when the time came, I wouldn’t even have any choice as to who owned me. Though, I reminded myself, that was again because the spells couldn’t operate if I were allowed any say in the matter, not out of mean-spiritedness on the part of the Guild. Part of the magic, apparently, was the willing acceptance of true enslavement; anything that altered this fundamental truth ruined everything. That wasn’t to say that the Guild didn’t do everything they could to ease the situation, and make the chains ride as lightly as possible. The sorcerers disciplined each other, for example, in the treatment of their familiars. They were careful to frame requests, never give orders, and familiars had the right to appeal their mistreatment to the highest Board of the Guild, where their cases were by both statute and tradition to be afforded the highest priority of all. And woe, woe, woe betide the Master who ordered his servant not to appeal, and then was later found out!
Could abject property, I wondered, have a soul? Father Branson didn’t think so, and had assured me so repeatedly. Not all the gold and flashy magic in the world, he’d assured me, was worth the loss of one’s soul. But Sister Magdalene disagreed, which she was allowed to do because the Pope had remained stone-silent on the entire subject of sorcery. Why, no one knew. Though some of my books hinted at dark satanic conspiracies…
I sighed and changed positions again, finally growing a little sleepy. I’d been cursed all my life with an over-active mind; some nights growing up I’d hardly slept at all, trying to come to grips with this or that aspect of the universe. It must be nice, I decided, to be like most kids—and even most adults!—and not have this nagging drive to ask questions, questions, and ever more questions that could never have answers. It’d be wonderful to grow up like Midnight, long-sure of who and what he was meant to be and surrounded by a loving, supportive family that was dedicated to making it easier on him. Dad had loved me, I knew beyond doubt; he hadn’t made a lot of money, but spent too much of what little he had sending me to the Parish School because it was the best around. He’d died in a train accident, trying to pull a young lady whose name I didn’t even know out of the way of an oncoming train. She’d somehow fallen off the platform at the station. Dad hadn’t died right away, or so they’d told me, and his last words on this earth were that he loved me…
Suddenly I was crying again, though I wasn’t quite sure why. Which would’ve annoyed me to no end if the overwhelming sadness I was feeling hadn’t been strong enough to drive out the minor passions—after all, I was supposed to be here to recover from tears, not make more of them! But still, there they were. And suddenly I knew why—I was crying because Dad had died doing exactly as I’d have done under the same circumstances, as I’d have been compelled to do, driven by a spell that’d been placed on me before I was even old enough to know what it was all about. And, of course, which my father had probably been shaped by as well. My fists balled, and I shook with rage. Who were these people? I demanded. Who were they, to take my father away and reshape my soul without so much as a by-your-leave, to distort the lives of others for the benefit their own? I pounded the mattress over and over and over; why couldn’t they have just left me alone?
But who might I have become then, I wondered, left to my own devices? Perhaps that pathetic Algood kid who’d given Midnight so much grief? Or maybe his even more pitiful sidekick?
By then the tears and rage both had burned themselves out, and I was just another teen-aged boy trying to nap on a tear-dampened pillow. Powers, a little voice whispered inside of me. It was a voice I knew well; my subconscious, I suspected, the part of me that often was three steps ahead of the rest in solving problems because it never quit analyzing things no matter what. I’d learned long ago to listen very, very carefully when it spoke. Midnight has Powers, and so do some of the others. The sorcerers all know his name, and wealthy Carmen called him an old friend. Perhaps they were tested together? What else would such a rich girl be doing here, if she didn’t have Powers more valuable than gold? What would she have to gain?
I blinked in the semi-darkness. And, she always wore those silk gloves…
Powers! my intellect observed again. That’s the key to it all. Remember the books—that’s all they speak of. Abnormal skills and abilities; it’s these the sorcerers crave. But they understand less than they know.
I nodded. So far, it all made sense. Even the greatest wizards were like a bunch on monkeys playing with fire, so far as the big picture was concerned. If any of them knew anything really important about the universe, they weren’t talking.
They’re almost as ignorant as you are, in the greater scheme of things, the voice whispered again. And too blind to read between the lines. For what are your own exceptional talents, if not Powers as well?

The rest of the day went a lot easier than the first part. I didn’t get called back to Shaper’s office, there weren’t any more workbooks to fill out, and the little voice in my head that was so much smarter and grown-up than I really ought to be at fourteen didn’t speak to me again. The other kids didn’t think twice about my having been called away all morning, since a few of the others were pulled away for interviews as well, and Midnight in particular seemed pleased at the new marks on my palms. “I don’t know have the faintest idea of what they mean,” he admitted as he released my hands. “But it makes me happy to know that someone with a decent, fair heart has them. So, they’re probably good things.” I wouldn’t have read much into that, coming from anyone else. But, Midnight being Midnight, well… He had Powers, and that put a whole new light on the matter. For a long time afterwards I ran his words over and over again through my mind, as if they were a cryptic riddle and he an ancient oracle. Then I shrugged and decided that my feline friend was too nice a guy to play word-games with me about something so important. He’d probably meant exactly what he said, and there wasn’t anything more or less to it. So, I decided it wasn’t worth worrying about anymore.
My heavens! If I became a familiar, was I going to spend the rest of my life seeking double meanings every time a non-mundane sneezed?
I was really glad that Guardian didn’t make me spend the whole day back in my room, because our afternoon session was a whole lot better than the morning one had been. While we ate our lunches—wonderful ham sandwiches, chilled potato salad, chocolate chip cookies and leftover blueberry muffins, hurrah!-- Guardian explained that the afternoon was going to be devoted to spending time with some animals. “You’re a little old for this sort of thing,” she admitted. “But we’d appreciate it if, just for today, you sort of pretended that you weren’t. We’re going to take you to a little pen with all sorts of creatures in it. Harmless animals, like goats and cows and bunny-rabbits, all very tame. All want is for you to spend a little time there and play with them. There’ll even be treats you can feed them, if you like.”
As always, Guardian was as good as her word. We rode out across a little meadow to a little barn and fenced-in pasture that looked as if it’d set up for no other purpose than for our evaluations. There were numerous little benches inside, for example, and a little pond, and even a swing dangling from a just-perfect tree limb.
“This is so lame,” Timmy the sparrow whispered as we rode up on a big flatbed wagon pulled by same pair of huge horses that’d brought us up from Johnstown the night before.
“I don’t know,” Midnight replied with a shrug. “I like to swing.”
They let us all inside, then closed the gates before the animals got out. I couldn’t know what other sorts of kids came and went through Devard Castle every year, but they certainly underestimated our little group. First they let out the bunnies, I suppose because rabbits are about the least-scary kind of animals there are. And they weren’t even wild bunnies; these were big fluffy tame ones, eager to have their ears stroked and eat the delicacies stored in little jars for us to give them. Soon Timmy was sitting on the ground with a bunny in his lap, and so were Cynthia and a half dozen others. But Frederick must’ve gotten a tastier jar of treats than I did, or else he had a special knack or something, because he was laughing and smiling and half-mobbed with more than a dozen of the things nuzzling his face at once.
“At least he’s happy,” I murmured, nodding at the young negro as I tried unsuccessfully for perhaps the twentieth time to persuade a rabbit to accept a bit of carrot from me.
“Maybe he keeps bunnies at home or something,” Midnight answered glumly. His carrots, seemingly, were as unpopular as mine.
For most of the kids, however, the misery was short-lived. As time passed more and more different kinds of animals were released, none of them dangerous and all quite tame. Soon we were surrounded by scratching chickens, ducks and geese paddled about the little pond, and puppies of a breed I’d never seen before capered and yapped and dashed about underfoot. There were kittens to play with too, or at least there would’ve been if Midnight hadn’t hogged them all, and even a few colorful lizards that Guardian said were called geckoes; they were sent express-freight up from Florida every year, she claimed, just so we could play with them. A few of Guardian’s helpers also carried baby zoo animals among us, so that we could stroke their soft fur and feed them from a bottle, if they did that sort of thing and happened to be hungry. Within a couple hours we didn’t have to pretend we were little anymore—the animals were wonderful, and most of the poor city kids like me hadn’t ever seen anything like the baby mountain lion or the leashed fox or the white-spotted deer-fawn or even the garter snake. None of them seemed to particularly care for me, though, no matter how hard I tried.
“I’m doing my best!” I explained to Guardian, who was having almost as much fun as we were with the fawn. “But it’s like they’re all afraid of me.”
Her smile widened. “All we ask is that you try.” Then her brow wrinkled. “You’ve never been around animals at all, growing up?”
“Nope,” I replied, shaking my head. “Mrs. Dyson—she was in charge of cleaning up the church-- had a dog. But he hated me, even though he liked everyone else.”
Her brow-wrinkles grew deeper. “Really?”
I nodded. “Uh-huh! And Sister Magdelene tried to set me up raising chickens once, so I could make a little egg money. But they never would lay, until we finally sold them.” I frowned. “After that they did fine. I never did figure out what I was doing wrong.”
She scowled and hugged the fawn closer to her—it was trembling, and trying to hide its head. “I see,” she replied. “Well, let me finish making the rounds with this poor little thing. Why don’t you go sit on the big bench by the gate and wait there?”
Gloomily I did as I was told; there were already two other boys there, plus Carmen in her finery. I sat down next to her, but she didn’t say anything either. Though if I looked real close, I thought I could make out a smug expression on her face.
“I don’t get it,” one of the other boys finally complained, after we’d sat around and watched the others having fun. He was very big and fat. “They all hated me. Even the cute little babies.”
“Me too,” a second added. It made for a strange contrast indeed; where the first was so heavy, this boy looked lean, stringy, and tough.
“Yeah,” I agreed with a sigh, looking down, while Carmen merely smiled prettily. My guess was that she knew something, but wasn’t talking.
“It’s because you’re all predators,” a super-deep voice said from behind us.
“We might just have a coyote here, if I’m any judge,” a second, equally-deep voice agreed.
I turned around, but no one was there except the horses, which someone had turned loose to graze. “I…” I sputtered. “But…”
“Ha!” the first deep voice repeated, as the larger of the two horses bobbed his head up and down. “Gotcha!”
“You’re…” the fat kit sputtered—his name might’ve been Pat, but I couldn’t remember for sure. “You’re…”
“Familiars,” the smaller animal agreed, though in this case small was certainly a relative term. I’d never seen such monsters! He bobbed his head vaguely in the direction of the other kids. “And so are some of the animals your friends are playing with. Be quiet and don’t spoil their surprises; fooling people can be a lot of fun!”
My mouth worked a couple times before I could actually spit any actual words out. “That’s so unfair!” I finally protested.
“Heh!” the smaller horse replied, bobbing his head mirthfully. Then his smile—there wasn’t any other word for the expression, though of course it wasn’t quite—faded. “Usually we work with the would-be equines. But this year there aren’t any, so we’ve been assigned to you instead.”
“But why aren’t—“ the boy who really did look rather like a coyote, now that I thought about it, began to say. Then his voice broke off cold.
“Exactly,” the larger horse answered, hanging his head. “Most predators are dangerous creatures. So, they aren’t selected.”
“But,“ the fat boy protested, rising to his feet. “I want—“
“What you want doesn’t matter,” the smaller horse interrupted. “Neither in this regard nor many, many others, if by chance you are accepted.” Then, with surprising gentleness he nuzzled the upset child. “There’s still a chance. Lots of predators aren’t so dangerous.” He smiled again and looked at the lean boy. “Coyotes, for example. They take large dogs, or at least most of them. So I can’t see why they wouldn’t accept you as well.” He looked away, not easy for a horse. “Though of course it’s not my decision.”
“Right,” the lean boy replied, looking unconvinced but still a good bit happier than he’d been.
The larger horse looked at me, opened his mouth as if he were about to say something, then changed his mind. Instead, he smiled again. “I’m Bob. And my harness-mate here is Eric. When we’re not pulling plows or wagons to stay in shape, we spend most of our time down at a special stable near the Castle entrance. And, like we said, we’ve been assigned to you. To answer all your questions about being familiars, and what it’s really like. You’re welcome anytime; we’re here to help you in any way we can.”
“We both like being familiars,” Eric added. “In fact, I consider it the luckiest thing that’s ever happened to me.”
“Me too,” Bob agreed. He smiled again. “So, any questions?”
The fat boy scowled, then pointed over at the big tree in the middle of the fenced pasture. “Aren’t those monkeys?” he asked.
Bob smiled extra hard, while Eric bobbed his head up and down. “Yep,” the latter agreed.
Now I was curious too. “But… You can only become a kind of animal that lives near where you were born! So why…”
“Ha!” Bon laughed in a single explosive syllable. “That’s easy!”
“You can figure it out yourself, if you try,” Eric added.
I scowled. “Someone wasn’t born in America?”
“Got it in one!” Bob agreed, wuffling happily. “You should’ve seen the wizards scrambling!”
“At least he was easy to peg, species-wise,” Eric agreed. “The kid looks more like a monkey than a boy to begin with.”
I remembered meeting a red-headed kid, with extra-long arms and legs at breakfast. I’d only seen pictures, but… “An Orang-u-tang?”
“Smart boy!” Bob praised me. Then he and Eric both laughed. “He’s from Toronto. Sometimes the limey kids come here for evaluation, you see, because Aberdeen is so far away. We have a reciprocal arrangement with them; our order and the English one respect each other and get along pretty well.”
“His father’s in the Royal Engineers, so it’s not really that strange that he was born in Borneo.” Eric shook his head again in pure merriment. “They hadta find a couple of the rarest, most exotic critters on the planet and get them shipped here on short notice. And baby ones at that, so they wouldn’t be dangerous. You should’ve seen the Apprentices scramble! What a hoot!”

The rest of the week before the Full Moon almost flew by—so much stuff happened so quickly that the days practically blended together. There was more classwork, in which we learned what our role in spellcasting was to be. Which was mostly sit around and be bored, just as everyone already knew. Sometimes we’d accompany the Masters or even the lesser sorcerers during journeys to the ‘Magical Realms’, whatever those were. Such trips, we were informed, could be dangerous and were strictly voluntary. But mostly, our job was merely to exist and thereby serve as amplifiers of magical power for those who held our leashes.
On the next day, two very unexpected things happened. One of them was that Frederick actually spoke to me on his own initiative, without being addressed first. “Mr. David, suh?” he asked me when we were in our bedroom alone together. “D’ya have a minute?”
I beamed with pleasure, even though he still wouldn’t raise his eyes. “Of course!” I answered. “For you I have all day!” It was almost true; we were back to workbooks, and I was far, far ahead of the crowd.
“Well, suh…” he began. Then he licked his lips and tried again. “Miz Guardian said I should speak to you, suh.”
I nodded patiently. We’d work on the ‘Mr. David’ and ‘sir’ eventually, but right then just didn’t seem to be the proper time. “About what?”
There was another long silence. “It’s ’bout my reading, suh. I’m not doing so good with it.”
It took some awkward questioning, but gradually I came to understand that Frederick was something approaching illiterate. “I see,” I replied eventually.
A single tear ran down his cheek. “I ain’t had much schoolin, see? I’s got to work in the fields. And I… I…” He held out his workbook, the first one that he should already be done with, in shame. There wasn’t a mark in it.
I sighed and thought about it for a minute. “There’s no way on earth I can teach you to read in a week. Less than that now, really.”
Frederick’s head fell even further, though I hadn’t thought it possible. “I know,” he whispered. “It’s just that…”
He didn’t have to finish. Four empty seats had appeared our breakfast table that morning. I didn’t know any of their usual occupants particularly well, but didn’t particularly need for anyone to draw me a map, either. “Miz Guardian said that you’d be the best one to help me out of everyone here, even including the adults. She said that if you did, she’d excuse you from some of your other assignments.”
I nodded. “Well, they certainly must know that I can’t teach you to read that quickly, so they must have something else in mind. Like, maybe if I read this stuff to you, and then wrote your answers down for you?”
“That’d work!” Freddie replied, smiling like I’d never seen him do before. The dark flesh of his face made his teeth seem extra-white. It was pretty neat-looking, so far as I was concerned. “I can listen real good!”
I smiled back. “I’m sure you can.” There was nothing wrong with Freddie’s mind that I could see. He was like some of the orphan kids we got from ‘way up in the mountains, was all, kids who hadn’t ever been in a classroom. Except that he’d also been beaten down to nothing, of course. Which of the two was by far the greater crime. “I’ll check with Guardian and make sure that’s what she has in mind. If so, I’ll get back with you about setting up a tutoring schedule.”
“You bet, Mr. David suh!” He smiled again, just as dazzlingly as before, and went running off to join the others. It was the happiest I’d ever seen him, except when he was with the bunnies.

That same afternoon, a stranger showed up at the Castle. He wore an ornate black robe, very different from any I’d seen before, and had a big scar running down one cheek. The man was obviously a foreigner, though I wasn’t sure just how I knew. He arrived just before lunch, and I ran into him in the hallway after meeting with Guardian about Freddie’s tutoring. She’d just approved my plan and I’m afraid I wasn’t thinking about what I was doing. Instead, my mind was on working out enough times and places for my new student and I to sit down together before the Big Day to allow him to catch up. Even worse, I was sort of jogging because I was late. Or maybe even a little more than just jogging. The results were predictable Bam! I rounded the last corner and smashed full into his chest, knocking me clean off of my feet and causing the stranger to stagger back as if he’d received a mighty blow. “Mein Gott!” he declared, “Was ist dieses?”
I didn’t understand most of the words, though the ‘Gott’ part penetrated. “I’m so terribly sorry!” I gushed, climbing to my feet and almost tripping over them again in my eagerness to apologize. “Please, forgive me!”
The stranger’s face went hard for an instant, then he turned to Shaper and laughed. That was the first time I’d noticed Shaper was there, really, and I didn’t at all care for the frown that was spreading across his face. What a stupid way to get myself in trouble!
“Ach!” the stranger said finally, making a dismissive gesture with his hand. “Boys will be boys, I suppose.” Though it sounded more like “Boyz vill be boyz”. He smiled and extended his hand. “I’m Baron Attache.”
I nodded and accepted his hand, my eyes widening. He was a wizard, of course, so ‘attaché’ must’ve been his current job rather than his real name. But he was a Baron as well? I’d never met a Baron, before! “David Speiss,” I replied, smiling as best I knew how. “And I really am powerful sorry.”
“P-pow… “ the Baron stuttered, looking confused. He looked at Shaper, who smiled.
“It’s an idiom,” he explained. Then he reached out and patted my head. “It means that he’s most regretful, sir.”
“Ach!” the Baron repeated, nodding. Then his eyes narrowed a little. “Speiss… That’s a good German name. Sprichst du Deutsch?”
I shook my head. “No, sir. I’m sorry.”
“Too bad,” the Baron answered, his face falling a little. He turned back to Shaper. “You Americans pay so little attention to matters of blood. Where in my homeland, these are the most important affairs of all.”
Shaper smiled. “Here we judge the person. Not who his parents were.” The wizard laid his hand on my shoulder. “David here, for example, is in many ways a most exceptional young man. When he’s not running in the hallways, that is. But we don’t assume it’s because he’s German. For us, that has nothing to do with it.”
“That’s why your nation doesn’t have a nobility worthy of the name,” the foreigner replied. “Where your finest bloodlines can be concentrated and placed in positions of leadership. Though there’s always hope.”
Shaper shrugged, then looked back at me. “You go ahead and eat now, son. I’m sure you’re plenty hungry. And, just so you know, I approve of your working with Frederick. In fact, I’m most grateful to you for the help.”
I nodded and smiled again, then turned to Baron Attache. “I’m very sorry I ran into you, sir” I repeated.
He replied with an odd little bow. “Es war nichts,” he answered.
Then I was on my way in to sit down next to Freddie and eat with my friends, glad to part company with the strange man. Would he have been half so nice, I wondered, if he’d known that by his way of measuring things I was at least as much a savage aboriginal as I was a German?

“He gave me the willies,” Timmy said as he delicately picked at his meal. Today it was ham sandwiches again, which none of us minded because they were so good, and great big bowls of salad. Frederick was tearing into the greens like a starving man, while I was pleased to see four blueberry muffins strategically placed near my right elbow. Midnight had some sort of tinned fish on his plate, which smelled pretty heavenly to me as well. Clearly someone was paying attention to our eating preferences, and trying their best to cater to them.
“I didn’t like him much either,” Midnight agreed. You could see in his eyes how much he appreciated the fish, though he made a show of eating disdainfully regardless. Sometimes it was hard to tell how much was an act and how much was the genuine feline in him showing through. “There’s just something about him.”
“He’s a bad, bad man,” Carmen pronounced in a tone that brooked no argument. And that’s all there was to it; when Carmen spoke in that manner, the rest of us already knew better than to disagree. Not because she became rude or unpleasant or impolite—Carmen was never any of these things. Rather, it was because she was invariably proven correct. I gulped and decided not to mention my own encounter with the Baron; he’d just been introduced to the rest of the candidates, so it was natural that he was the subject of discussion. Apparently he’d come to learn about how familiar candidates were evaluated in the United States. So instead of joining in, I put the time to more profitable use by forcing down an extra muffin.
The next few days weren’t nearly as interesting as our first ones were. We didn’t get to go play with the animals again. Mostly we spent our time on schoolwork, which took forever for Frederick and I to slog through together. While he and I spent hour after hour sweating over his books, the rest of the kids met more familiars, some of whom I’d very much have liked to have gotten to know. There was an anteater who’d been born in South America, for example, who everyone said was an especially nice lady. She explained that, while she liked being a familiar very much indeed, she now regretted her choice because it left her unable to have kids of her own. Or even to get married; there weren’t any other anteater familiars around anywhere at the present time, it seemed. I’d have missed all of this working with Freddie, except that Cynthia spent about an hour bending my ear on the subject. It seemed to have touched her deeply. “Not just no kids, but forever a snake!” she whispered to me late one night after sneaking out of her room to come talk to me. “I don’t know… I mean…”
I pressed my lips together and sighed. Back in the little pen when we’d played with the animal, Cynthia hadn’t been much of a hit with the lizards. Though perhaps that was natural—a lot of snakes ate lizards, didn’t they? And, of course, I had no idea of how she’d done with the garter snake. Yet something felt very wrong about Cynthia being a serpent, no matter how her Marks looked.
“Daddy’s been sending telegrams every day,” she continued with a sigh. “Have you any idea what that costs? And he’s looking for a house in Florida where it’s always warm.” She rolled her eyes. “A big house. That’s all he ever thinks about-- money, money, money and what he can buy with it. Ever since my Mark appeared.” She scowled. “He hasn’t been back to the department store in weeks. I’m afraid he’s already quit his job.”
I closed my eyes and sighed. “I’m sorry,” I said at last.
She shook her head. “Don’t be. I’m sorry for you, in fact.”
I blinked. “Why?”
“Everyone knows you’re going to be weeded out,” she answered, lowering her eyes. “That’s why you’re allowed to miss so much of the program to work with Frederick—you’ll never be a familiar anyway.” She shook her head. “It’s so unfair! Out of all of us…”
I blinked, rather caught off guard. This was all news to me. Had everyone assumed someone else told me?
“I mean… Everyone knows that Freddie is a special case. He deserves to be given a chance, no matter what. Because of… Well, it’s too wretched to talk about. And he’s such a sweet boy! But…” She shook her head again. “They shouldn’t use you like this. It just isn’t fair. They should’ve sent you home the moment they knew you were going to become a powerful predator. It’s just plain cruel, is what it is!”
I spent a long moment looking off into the darkness. “Well,” I said at last, after exploring several possibilities and finding that the puzzle pieces did indeed fit together best Cynthia’s way. “I guess… If I can help Frederick, it’s worth it.”
“Oh, David!” Cynthia sighed. “You’re so sweet, and so strong, and so… Noble. That’s just exactly the right word. Noble.” Then, just maybe, her lips brushed my cheek in the darkness. After which there came a flutter of skirts, then a rapidly-fading series of quick, feminine footsteps. And she was gone.

Saturday, June the twenty-seventh, should’ve been an easy day for us all. That night the full moon would rise, we youngsters would be subjected to spells that’d encourage along our natural tendencies towards hooves or paws or scales or whatever, and we’d spend the next two weeks getting used to a whole new way of life and deciding if it really was for us or not. Because this was the Big Day, in theory at least we were excused from all classwork and held to no timetable; indeed, we were encouraged to sleep late. Or most of us were, at least; Freddie and I began the day at the crack of dawn, far behind in our studies but grimly determined to catch up with the rest. The stuff in the workbooks was important, especially to someone like Freddie who was encountering many of the facts for the first time. He needed to understand every last chapter in order to make a good decision. “You mean they’re gonna own me, suh?” he interrupted at one point. “Like, like…”
“Like a slave,” I agreed, meeting his eyes and nodding sadly. “It can’t work any other way—that’s the price you pay for all the money and such.” I sighed. “Which really won’t even be yours, technically. They say that in practical terms it doesn’t make any difference. But obviously at some level it does.”
My student’s eyes went big and round. “Well… I mean…”
“You don’t have to do this,” I reminded him. “No one’s going to make you. You’re still free, Freddie. And you can stay that way, if you prefer.”
His jaw worked, and tears filled his eyes. “But Pa! He works so hard…”
Then suddenly his face screwed up and I was hugging his head to my chest. “I know, Freddie,” I whispered as his tears soaked into my best shirt. “I know. And God knows I’d spare you this, if only I could.”
I finished up with my student about two o’clock, then went to see Guardian and tell her that I thought he needed even more support than I was able to give him. “Do you people understand what you’re asking of him?” I whispered, looking down at her desktop. “I mean, have you really thought this through?”
She sighed and folded her hands. “Of course we have. And we wish that things could be easier for the poor child. But… Have you considered matters from our point of view yet?”
I shook my head, still not looking up. “No.”
“Well…” She leaned back in her chair. “The way we treat negroes in this nation is a crime. Do you agree?”
I nodded slowly. No one who’d ever spent much time with Freddie, and who also had anything resembling a heart, could ever think otherwise.
“Good,” she agreed. “But things are as they are; even we wizards can’t simply wave a magic wand and make all the hate and stupidity vanish, abra-cadabra! What we can do, however, is try to lead the way by introducing negroes into our ranks at all levels.” She sighed. “Again, though, things are as they are and not as we might wish for them to be. Sure, there’s a handful of negro intellectuals out there, as smart as anyone and full of fire to prove the point. But, sadly, none of them have yet tested positive for magical ability. And among the uneducated, superstitious masses of all races, things like Marks and magical tendencies are cause for terror. Not celebration.” She sighed. “We’ve been trying for several years now to find a young negro both willing and able to become a wizard. Trying very energetically in fact; the Guild is uniquely placed in American society to do as it damn well pleases and ignore the cries of outrage. But so far there just haven’t been any. And Frederick is our very first familiar candidate.”
I scowled. “You can’t ask him to become a slave,” I declared finally, after thinking about it for a few minutes. “You just can’t!”
Guardian tilted her head to one side. “Are you saying,” she asked softly, “that a negro shouldn’t have the same opportunities as a white man? Just because he’s a negro?”
I sat silent for a few minutes, my fists clenching and unclenching. “You could fail him,” I pointed out eventually. “On academic grounds. It’d be justified and everyone knows it. Even him.”
“Would everyone believe it?” she asked, her eyes distant. Then she sighed again and shook her head. “I doubt it, myself. The Baron has already complained long and loud in public places about a ‘schwartz’ being considered at all. In fact, I rather suspect that Freddie is why he’s here. He seems to feel that having a ‘racial inferior’ in the program is a slur on everyone related to magic everywhere.” She pressed her lips together. “It’s hard on Freddie, yes. And if he says ‘no’ we’ll all understand. But it’s always extra-hard on those who go first— someone has to suffer for the sins of our fathers, innocent or no.“ She shook her head. “In this very special case, we can teach him to read later. His character’s good, and his Marks are valid. The rest simply must be up to him.”
I nodded and got up to leave. “I guess I didn’t think it all the way through,” I admitted.
“You’re too closely involved to see the big picture,” she countered. “That’s all. Once someone’s cried in your lap, it’s not easy to be dispassionate.”
I blushed a very dark red. “I… I didn’t…“
“It’s me that should be sorry,” she answered, blushing a little. “I came upstairs to check on how you two were doing. And, well…” She shook her head. “At any rate, your misgivings do you credit. In my book, at least.”
I nodded slowly, then turned to leave. “Thank you, Guardian. For everything.”
“No,” she answered. “It’s I that have to thank you. How we’d have handled this situation without your help, I can’t imagine.” She sighed and shook her head. “They say that in magic there are no coincidences, that the more wildly improbable an event seems, the more likely it is to have a deeper meaning. For a boy like you with your special talents to be here just when we needed you…” She shook her head again. “I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to offer my thanks.”
I nodded again, then closed my eyes. “You’re thanking me now,” I said slowly, “because there won’t be a later. They’re not going to Change me tonight. Are they?”
There was a long, long silence. “They weren’t planning to,” she admitted. “But… Would you like for them to? Even though you know you’ll never be accepted?”
I thought about Midnight, and nodded slowly. “It’s the only chance I’ll ever have.”
Another long, silent time passed. “Well,” Guardian finally said. “Everyone here knows that we owe you. And, just so you know, our gratitude is going to take a fairly substantial form regardless. You’ve earned it and more. You’re right, however, when you say that this is your one and only chance to explore that side of yourself.” I heard her rise to her feet. “I make no promises, mind you. Because you’re asking for more than you probably realize. But I’ll go see if I can’t cash in some old chips and get Shaper to do me a personal favor.” She stepped placed one hand on my shoulder, then bent over and kissed me gently on the back of the neck. “Frederick’s not the only deserving kid around here, after all.”

I was sort of surprised at the how the rest of June Twenty-Seventh went, but I guess I shouldn’t have been. At first I couldn’t find any of the others, not even hanging around Bob and Eric’s stable. The two were so open and friendly that we kids went there a lot to ask questions, even those kids of other species who were assigned to other mentors. They seemed surprised to see me; I guess I was supposed to be gone already. “Try the courtyard, kid,” Eric advised me between huge gulps of fodder. “That’s where they always end up on the last day, unless it’s raining.”
“And…” Bob added tossing his head, “It’s been good to know you! You’re something special, whether you’re part of the program or not. I only wish you could’ve spent more time hanging out with us.”
Bob and Eric were very canny characters indeed, so I took their advice. And sure enough the first thing I saw when I rounded the corner was…
…Midnight, in his usual cat getup, attempting to play baseball.
It was a pathetic sight, in a way. He was up at bat, with Kimball the orang-u-tang kid pitching. And he couldn’t hit the ball to save his life. “Strike six!” little Timmy cried out from behind the plate as the feline took yet another futile swing. Then he tossed the ball back to the pitcher. “Don’t throw it quite so hard next time, Kim! Maybe that’ll do it!”
I shook my head, puzzled for a moment. Then understanding finally flowed in and my sort of melted my heart. Midnight had probably never had a chance to play baseball before, I suddenly understood. The other kids wouldn’t let him. So he was taking full advantage of his very last opportunity. Ever.
And for the first time, I understood what it really meant to become a familiar.
I sort of tiptoed past the boys without them noticing me; it didn’t seem right to intrude, somehow, even though I knew that they would’ve welcomed me into the game. The girls weren’t far away, dressed in their best finery and listening to a gramophone that just had to be Carmen’s; only she could afford such a precious toy. It was playing something lively and scratchy and beautiful, and I listened with a sort of silly half-smile on my face as the clockwork spun. I’d heard gramophones play before—twice, in fact, at church. And their music was indeed something very special. But what made me smile was the sight of Carmen and Cynthia paired off and dancing with each other on the beautifully trimmed lawn, as the third remaining girl in our class sat under the gazebo and patiently awaited her turn. Cynthia was a good enough dancer; no moss was growing on her. But Carmen! My jaw dropped as she twirled and dipped as if taught in the finest of schools, which was of course very likely the case. When the song ended and all that remained of the melody was a loud crackling sound the girls faced each other, curtsied…
…and then laughed and laughed, about what I had no idea whatsoever. Until they turned to me as one and Carmen said, “Come on out of the trees, David. We know you’re there.”
I did so, blushing furiously. “I wasn’t spying!” I assured them. “I just didn’t want to interrupt!”
“Of course not,” Cynthia replied giggling. “You’re much too sweet to spy.”
“Indeed!” Carmen agreed in her haughty, too elegant accent. Then the other girl nodded too.
By now it was obvious that what the girls were doing was every bit as important for them as Midnight’s single lifetime at-bat was to him. “Really,” I repeated. “I didn’t want to interrupt.”
“Then pay toll,” Cynthia suggested.
“Right!” the small, plain girl who was to become a cowbird agreed. Her name was Suzy, I suddenly remembered. “Wonderful idea!”
“You first!” Carmen agreed, gently pushing me towards her.
“I—“ I sputtered. “But—“ They weren’t having any of it, however. Not on their very last dancing-day ever.
“Can you waltz?” Carmen demanded, looking me up and down as if I were a piece of meat.
I nodded. “Sister Magdalene made me learn.”
“Wonderful!” she gushed, picking out a record and winding up the machine.
It wasn’t so bad, really. Suzy was an even worse dancer than I was, but her smile was radiant and she was warm and soft in my arms. Cynthia was less of a problem; I actually sorta liked her, you see, though I hadn’t ever gotten around to saying so and probably wouldn’t have for a couple-three years in the natural order of things. But Carmen!
Dancing with Carmen was enough to take a man’s breath away.
It wasn’t just that her dress was made of finer materials or that she wore expensive cosmetics or that she smelled of jasmine and honey, though all of these of course helped. Rather, there was just something about how she moved, how the music flowed through her and thus became something physical and part of her beauty. It all came effortlessly to her; that was part of the charm. She spoke freely with me the whole time we stood arm in arm, perhaps even more freely than she might’ve otherwise.
“I’m so glad you happened by, David,” she whispered in my ear. “Because I’ve been wanting to talk to you.”
Unlike Carmen, I wasn’t a good enough dancer to make an easy and effortless reply without breaking my concentration. “Yes?” I answered, simply because it was the shortest answer I could make.
She nodded. “I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn’t take it amiss if you’re not chosen.” There was a long pause. “Teddy didn’t, you see.”
I nodded slightly, trying to concentrate. Onetwothree, onetwothree… “Teddy who?” I asked.
“Why… Teddy Roosevelt, of course!” she replied, almost missing a step in shock at my not recognizing the name.
“Oh,” I answered, feeling very small.
“He told me so himself,” she explained. “After Father spoke to him about my situation. In a private room, because no one else was to know.”
I blinked. Carmen had been in a private room with Teddy Roosevelt? “Wow!” I whispered.
“He was only in the Cabinet back then, I think,” she explained. “Or something like that. Not nearly so important a man as he is now. But… They turned him down, David. Him! The hero of San Juan Hill! And he was an owl, not a dangerous species at all. So, if they don’t take you…”
“Right,” I agreed. “Thank you!”
“You’re most welcome,” she answered. “In any event, I rather think you’ll live a long, important life of your own. You don’t have to become involved with magic to be a good person, or even an important one. Teddy’s proof of that.” She shuddered and looked down. “I hope they turn me down too,” she said softly.
“Why?” I asked.
“Well,” she replied as the music began to wind down. “Let’s just say that you’ll find me a much less desirable dance partner, come midnight or so.” She shook her head. “I wouldn’t even be here, but… It’s a matter of duty, you see. Both of my grandfathers and one uncle died in the Civil War. Being turned down after giving my best is the only honorable way out.”
“They were men,” I pointed out. “Only men must do their duty.”
Suddenly Carmen’s eyes were cold and remote. “Women can love their country every bit as much as men do, Mr. Speiss. Or more importantly, to humanity as a whole. As someday I hope you’ll come to understand.” Then, as if on cue, the music stopped and Carmen was curtseying deeply in front of me. Reflexively I bowed as well. When I straightened back up Carmen was smiling again, with a happy sparkle in her eyes. “You will understand someday,” she said, as much to herself as to me. “You have the capacity, if any man does.” Her smiled widened. “Thank you for the dance, Mr. Speiss. Your toll is paid in full. You may go play ball now, if you like.”

By then a little ball practice would’ve been nice, because once I didn’t have dancing on my mind any longer I got all nervous and excited over maybe actually getting Changed after all. I’d sort of given up on the idea after Cynthia had warned me that I probably didn’t have a chance. But now… Unfortunately, however, the dinner bell rang to call us in before I could even put my glove on. “Did Midnight get his hit?” I demanded of Timmy as we jogged towards the kitchen door together.
He smiled. “A double! And the fielder didn’t hafta bobble it very much to make it one, neither!”
I smiled and patted the soon-to-be small bird on the shoulder, delicately so as not to harm him. “That was really nice. Of all of you.”
He blushed. “Well… What else were we gonna do, on his last day?”
I nodded and smiled again. Maybe I had the best of both worlds after all? To be Changed temporarily, that was, and know I’d be returned on the twelfth of July. To experience what it was like for a time, and then be given back my body, my personal freedom, and my soul. Or at least that was how things might go if I was lucky, I reminded myself. If not, I could find myself on a slow train back to Seattle at a moment’s notice.
As we’d been warned, dinner wasn’t much. We might get sick during the Change if we had food on our stomachs, so all we were allowed was lemonade, a few tiny hard candies, and all the water we cared to drink. Then, one by one and two by two, they began leading us off to be transformed into what otherwise would have eternally been our ghostly, not-quite-real alternate forms. They took Midnight first, which was no surprise, and Kimball. “See you in a couple days, when we can talk again!” Kimball declared, waving to everyone. His tone was brave, even though the shiny track of a single tear down his cheek betrayed the frightened boy beneath the false front. Midnight smiled and waved as well, then looked directly at me. “Everything’s going to turn out all right for you, David. More than all right, even. For both of us together and for everyone. So don’t worry— I’m quite certain about it.” Then he meowed, the first time I’d ever heard him do such a thing, and was gone.
“What did he mean by that?” Guardian demanded.
“Just what it sounded like, I suppose,” I replied with raised eyebrows. “How should I know?” Then I noticed that every wizard and apprentice in the room was either staring at me or whispering in each other’s ear, and blushed.
“They’re going to Change you for sure now, I bet!” she answered, smiling. “Now that he’s said that, I mean.” I grinned back. Had Midnight done it on purpose just to get me Changed, I wondered? Or had he genuinely experienced some kind of prophetic insight? Only he could know for sure, which was the beauty of the thing. I actually chuckled a little, it seemed so funny. Who would really be in charge in his case, master or slave? Either way, I was grateful to him.
Next they came for Suzy and Carmen. The latter was busy in the women’s facilities, however, so there was a bit of a delay. We’d all been singing camp songs together to help ease the strain, but all of us broke out in laughter when we say that her mouth was stuffed full and that she was chewing furiously. “Carmen!” Guardian chastised her. “How could you?”
“Wouldn’t you do exactly the same thing?” she asked after she swallowed, meeting her counselor’s eyes dead on without flinching an iota. “Under the circumstances, I mean?”
Guardian scowled, but said nothing. Then they led the girls off, and there were only a handful of us left. Cynthia, left without anyone to sit next to, sort of eased up beside me and squeezed my upper arm, tightly enough to cause pain. But I said nothing until they called her, then offered her a reassuring smile as she looked back one last time with frightened eyes.
In the end, I was the last of all to be called. But called I was, though whether it was due to Midnight’s intercession or something else, I’d never know. “David,” Shaper himself called from the hallway. “It’s time. Baron Attache is waiting for you.”

I wasn’t particularly happy to learn that Baron Attache was going to be the one bespelling me. But, as Bob and Eric had pointed out recently, a lot of the time it didn’t matter in the least what one wanted when dealing with magic.
“…is a recognized expert in the field,” Shaper assured me as we walked further and further down the corridor into the depths of Devard Castle. “In fact, it’s very gracious of him to volunteer to demonstrate his technique. You see, in Germany they accept dangerous-species volunteers as familiars all of the time. The Baron has transformed dozens. No one’s dealt with more.” He sighed, then stopped us both right in the middle of the corridor. “David, he may even offer you a position as a German familiar. If you’re interested, I won’t stop you from taking it. But I think it’d be a pretty bad idea for you.”
“Why’s that?” I asked.
Shaper sighed. “Sometimes it seems we have so many reasons for turning familiars down that it’s a miracle any of them make it through. And, when I have to reject a young man or woman, well… You might not believe this, but it usually just about breaks my heart. Because they want it pretty badly as a rule, you see, and also because I know how hard it’ll be on them to return to an ordinary, mundane life after seeing what it’s like here.”
I nodded, but said nothing.
“In your case, however…” He sighed and shook his head again. “David, every once in a while I’m pleased to reject someone, because in so doing I feel like I’m doing them a favor. While not all boys and girls with the potential to become familiars are children of extraordinary potential, an amazing percentage are. We wizards would effectively be robbing the human race of far too many of their best and brightest if we allowed them all to become in essence professional time-wasters.”
“I see,” I answered, nodding slowly. “And that’s why Teddy Roosevelt isn’t a familiar today?”
“You know about that?” he asked, looking shocked. “Please, don’t repeat it. He’s liable to run for national office someday, you know. The man might even be Vice-President today, if…” Then he shook his head. “Never mind that. My point, son, is that you’re one of those best and brightest. The kind that we throw back, so to speak, for the good of the whole. I wouldn’t accept you even if you were a harmless bunny like your buddy Frederick. Because you’re too good, not because you’re a failure.”
I didn’t know what to say to that, so I just stood there and looked at the floor.
“So,” he continued. “I want you to make me a little promise. That you’ll think the Baron’s offer over long and hard before accepting it, and give proper consideration to what I’ve just said. We can and will open doors for you if you decide to remain human—doors to opportunities that you’ve probably never even imagined exploring. For example…” He smiled. “Both the Army and Navy maintain full-time liaison staffs with us. For reasons that I don’t care to discuss just now, we prefer that officers be assigned to us while still young and spend their entire careers doing nothing else. These officers are West Point and Annapolis graduates, as qualified and respected as any others in their services. If we suggested you, I somehow can’t see them telling us to go pound sand.”
I gulped. “Wow!”
He nodded and smiled. “You’d get to see Midnight again, and some of your other friends here. Maybe even work closely with them. And, if I’ve interpreted that birth-spell of your correctly, it’s a career that you’d find especially fulfilling.”
“Maybe,” I agreed.
“Or maybe not,” Shaper continued. “After all you’re only fourteen, no matter how mature you seem sometimes. So you still have plenty of time to decide. The Guild has contacts in medicine, engineering, even politics and the law. And we’d be eager to have you, son. In almost any capacity. Except that of a familiar.”
I nodded slowly. “Why won’t you accept dangerous-species people like me, when the Germans will?”
He scowled. “Because we aren’t willing to bind our familiars as tightly as they do—I was just getting around to warning you about that. And, frankly…” He sighed. “You’ve gathered by now that each species has its own strengths and weaknesses in various aspects of magic?”
I nodded.
“Large predators—apex predators, I’ve heard naturalists call them—are really only good for one thing. And that’s war-magic, David. Something we have as little to do with as possible here.”

They let me take my clothes off in a private cubicle and gave me a blanket to wrap myself in. “It’s more practical than a robe,” Shaper explained before he left. “Robes tear instead of giving way.” Then he paused. “I’ll be watching the Baron every second, son. And, just so you know, I’ve told him a little fib about your birth-spell.” He smiled and laid his hand on my shoulder one last time. “Those Pacific Northwest tribal enchantments aren’t well known outside of the United States and Canada, and just maybe it might be wiser if we kept them our little secret.”
I nodded again and smiled. Then he was gone, and presently I was sitting naked on the little bench wrapped in a nice, soft blanket, staring at a blank wall and probably looking for all the world like an overgrown infant. Until finally Guardian herself came for me with a Bath chair, a happy smile on her face. “Climb on in,” she directed. “And let’s take a little ride.”
I didn’t think I needed the Bath chair, until I got a little woozy as I stood up and Guardian had to catch me. That wasn’t at all like me; had I been magicked already? “Easy, kid,” Guardian whispered as she eased me into the seat and placed my hands firmly in my lap. “You just sit and enjoy the ride. I’ll be with you every minute.”
I nodded a little, not trusting myself to speak. Suddenly I was so very tired! The long corridor passed in a blur, and before I quite realized what was happening they were arranging me on a huge table, none too concerned about my modesty.
“The subject is in a light trance,” the Baron was explaining as someone helped him don a rather grotesque-looking animal mask. I tried to figure out what kind of animal it might represent, but between my not feeling so well and the thing being so heavily bespelled, well… All I could make out were individual impressions, never the mask as a whole. Sharp teeth. Cold eyes. Lean, hungry cheeks. “The trance is essential with potentially dangerous subjects,” he continued. “Not just to prevent them from harming others, but so that they cannot damage themselves, either.”
“Wolverines are nasty critters,” a new voice observed. It came from a very mundane-looking man, except in that he wore rough outdoorsy clothing and had a huge, bushy beard. “In my mind, that’s probably the worst-case scenario. I’ve trapped dozens of the things, and they don’t ever settle down and accept their fate. Ain’t no way a trance is even gonna slow one down.” He shook his head. “I sure hope we don’t have one of those on our hands.” There was a long, flat box lying on the table beside him. Just right for concealing a heavy rifle, I reckoned. Which should’ve scared the heck out of me, except that everything was a dream and dreams couldn’t hurt anyone, now could they?
“He won’t be a wolverine,” Guardian declared flatly. “For my money he’s just a harmless otter. The kid really knows how to have fun when he puts his mind to it.”
I tried to mumble something about how wonderful Midnight’s canned fish had smelled to me the other night, but all that came out was sort of a confused moan that everyone ignored.
“He’s too chunky to be an otter,” Shaper countered. “Besides…” Then he let his voice trail off. I nodded in silent agreement. It was hard to imagine an Indian tribe embracing the otter as their ultimate guardian and protector. Besides, it just didn’t feel right.
“I must read up these wolverine creatures,” the Baron observed, slightly out of synchronization with the rest of the conversation because of a spell he’d been muttering. “They sound as if they might have considerable potential. Now, please for there to be silence. The main procedure begins.”

At first I didn’t think much was happening as the Baron spread his arms and performed incantation after incomprehensible incantation. In fact, if the trance hadn’t had my time-sense all messed up I might’ve grown bored lying there. I did in fact grow cold, or at least those parts of me not covered by the blanket did. But then the Baron anointed my head with some kind of nasty-smelling stuff that burned like fire. I cried out and tried to pull away from the pain, but wherever I moved it followed me. Soon I was tossing and turning and rolling in what must’ve been agony, although somehow later it seemed as though the pain had happened to someone else. Then finally the Baron touched me with his ornately-carved wand, the fire exploded into white-hot agony, and I felt as if I’d eaten a big lump of bread-dough, which was now remorselessly rising, rising, rising inside of me.
I vomited then, as promised; long and hard and completely, just missing Shaper’s robe. But the dough-rising sensation didn’t go away. It just kept getting worse and worse and worse…
…until suddenly I noticed that the table I was lying on wasn’t so large after all. And that the electric globe in the ceiling wasn’t nearly so far away as it’d once been, either. And, everyone was staring at me, their eyes wide.
“It’s just me,” I tried to say. “I’m still fine—everything’s perfectly all right!” But all that came out was a low, rumbling, angry-sounding “Rawrrr!” sound that made everyone take half a step back and the trapper reach for his rifle-box. “Rawrr-grrnll-snrrr!!” I declared again, looking down at my brown, fingerless paws, which seemed both wrong and very right at the same time. Even as I stared at them, I felt my nose and mouth stretch into something new. I watched it happen, even! But with every alteration the pain lessened, which was a Good Thing. Soon, with the help of the trance, I calmed down again. It must’ve showed because the wizards relaxed a little too, though their eyes remained wide. And, even better, the trapper’s hand eased away from his gun. Then finally it was done, and I was some sort of big brown quadruped, perched delicately on a much-too-small examination table. A bear, apparently, though I was still too befuddled to worry much about what kind.
“Jesus Christ on a jumprope!” the trapper exclaimed. “He’s a Kodiak or my name isn’t Jim Jefferson! Bigger than Hades, and yet not full-grown!”
“A Kodiak!” Guardian repeated, shaking her head. “I never…”
“So powerful!” the Baron whispered, shaking his head in awe. “So much potential!” But Shaper merely looked smug; had he known all along?
I shook my head, still a bit confused by it all. It was uncomfortable trying to sit on such a small table, so I sort of leaned forward, nodded my head up and down rapidly, and “rawrred” again in a quieter, gentler way. Shaper, who was standing directly in front of me, got the hint. “He wants down, I think,” he explained, stepping aside.”
“Rawrr!” I agreed, nodding again as everyone made room. Apparently I was pretty much limited to grunts, groans and growls, for the moment at least. Then I leaned forward a little, still not comfortable with the idea of using all four limbs for the purpose of locomotion…
…and with a loud crack the table collapsed to the floor, sending me sprawling head-over-heels among the startled wizardry. "Urhnnn!” I declared in surprise, gingerly regaining my feet and checking myself to see if anything was broken. This wasn’t nearly as easy as usual, since I still wasn’t really sure about how I was supposed to feel even when everything was working properly. But I sniffed myself thoroughly—my heavens, what I nose I now had!—and detected no trace of blood. Then I sat down, raised my head…
…and realized that everyone was staring at me again, this time in something other than awe. Even worse, both Shaper and the Baron had their wands out and pointed at me, clearly on the verge of letting something awful fly. I shook my head in bafflement, not quite sure what I’d done wrong. I hadn’t broken the bed on purpose, now had I?
Then I looked glanced down at the ground, and saw the trapper’s heavy Sharps rifle lying between my forepaws. And also realized that I was now sitting directly in front of the room’s only exit. If ever there was a bear in a position to rapidly exterminate a group of sorcerers before they could fight back, it was surely me. “Urrrgh!” I declared, suddenly understanding. Then I nodded my head vigorously, to show that I was still in control of myself. “Raaaaawr!”
“Just step aside, son,” Shaper whispered into the tense silence. “That’s all we ask.”
“Raaawr!” I agreed softly, nodding again. The room was terribly crowded, and I actually had to nose Guardian out of the way a little in order to do as I was told. But no one panicked, to my great relief, and soon the threatening wands were lowered.
Shaper and the Baron looked at each other and grinned. “I can recommend a most excellent manufacturer of custom laboratory equipment,” the Baron finally said. “If you’re willing to do business in Essen, that is.” Everyone laughed, I tried to laugh right along with them; though it didn’t work out at all well I think they at least got the general idea. Then they led me away to the too-small, too-lightly-built cage where I’d spend my first two or three days until I was fully stable and could receive my voice-spell.

Cages are boring, it took me next to no time to establish, even though the sorcerers did their best to enliven my days. The Baron came by sometimes to tell me all sorts of wonderful things about Germany and zeppelins and the Kaiser and the amazing victory over France that he was so proud to have been part of. “In Germany,” he explained, “everyone is an important part of the State—cogs in the wheel of a machine far greater than the sum of its parts. Surely you feel the call of it yourself?” It was pretty clear what he was leading up to, though he didn’t out and out ask me yet. Most likely, I reckoned, because “Raaawr!” wouldn’t serve as a legally binding reply anyway. Guardian was a lot more fun—she came and read stories to me in the morning, starting with “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”. This would’ve made me laugh if I’d been able to figure out how. But that ability, along with facial expressions like those of Bob and Eric that people could understand even though they really shouldn’t have been able to, were part of the speech-spell package. I wasn’t ready for that yet, so I did my best to improvise with head-shakes and grumpy-sounding rumbles. Every hour I grew more impatient for the time when I could speak again. And, better still, maybe even have a little privacy when I needed to move my bowels!
It was late afternoon on the second day when things finally took a turn for the better. I was just finishing a bucket of blueberries—they tasted even better than they had before!—when Guardian called out from behind me, her voice light and happy. “David! You have visitors!”
I looked over my shoulder, then turned around, reared up on my hindlegs and stuck my paws out in-between the bars so that I was almost touching my visitors. “Urrrgle!” I growled in pleasure, wishing again that I could smile. “Raaaaaaawr!”
“Hi, David!” a sparrow perched on Guardian’s shoulder declared in Timmy’s voice. “I hear they’re gonna make you wait until tomorrow evening before they give you your voice—they say it takes longer for someone so massive to settle in.” He blinked, the expression reminding me very much of the boy I’d once known. “Until then, just be patient!”
“You is so big!” another voice drawled in wonder—it was Frederick, of course, a perfectly ordinary looking cottontail, sniffing at the base of my cage. Then he looked up at me. “I just wanted to let you know, Mr. David, that I really like this a lot so far. Thank you again fo’ heppin’ me along, suh! Thank you so much!”
Then a black cat eased itself up to the bars and then actually squeezed his way in-between so that he was inside with me. “Isn’t it wonderful?” he asked in Midnight’s voice. “Finally being who you truly are, I mean. I’m so glad you got the chance!”
“Urrrgh!” I agreed, holding up a massive forepaw just in front of my friend’s muzzle so that he could rub his face on it. Which he proceeded to do, not in the least bit self-conscious. “Rrrrrr!” he rumbled. I wished I could giggle as Guardian scowled and ordered him out.
“It could be dangerous in there!” she declared.
“Not for me,” he replied softly, looking up at me with vertically-slitted eyes. “Not ever, for any of us. Though… Well, I’ve got a feeling that anyone who crosses him will deserve exactly what they get. And I certainly won’t waste any time feeling sorry for them.” Then he squeezed back out of my cage anyway, just to make Guardian happy.
Next two more birds came fluttering up. One was a cowbird I well knew; she not-smiled prettily before speaking. “Hi, Dave!” But the other was a splendid white goose, decorated with black wingtips and other minor markings. It spun and twirled before me, in the parody of a waltz.

“What’s the matter, David?” it asked eventually in Cynthia’s voice. “Don’t you recognize me?” Then she twisted up her long, snakelike neck until it was in exactly the same position as it’d been in her Marks.
My jaw dropped, which apparently worked as well for a bear as it did for a human. She giggled and twirled again. “Not half so bad as I feared”, she admitted. “But still, I’m not sure. Daddy’s wiring me every single day, wanting to know how much I’m making.”
I nodded, eyes half closed. Then, on a whim I dropped back to all fours and reached out with my tongue, which was a lot longer than most people expected. “Hey!” Cynthia complained as I took a nice long lick, the giggle in her voice belying her words. “Cut that out! I’ll get all sticky!”
Then everyone was laughing, and I felt better inside than I had in a long, long time. Maybe even better than ever before—Midnight was certainly onto something about how nice it was to be shaped the same way on the inside and outside both, for once. Then I scowled. The expression must’ve carried over nicely even without magical enhancement, because suddenly everyone took a step back. “David?” Guardian asked, looking worried. “Is everything all right?”
“Snr-r-r-r-k!” I complained, which only made me feel more frustrated. There was only room in the cage for someone my size to take two paces; I did so, then turned around and faced the others again. “Raaaaawrr!”
Guardian looked at Cynthia, then at Midnight. Both sort of magic-shrugged; they didn’t really move anything, but you could somehow tell. Then Timmy spoke up. “He’s wondering about his other friends, maybe? Wanting to make sure they’re all right?”
“Raaaaaaaawrr!” I agreed, bobbing my head enthusiastically.
“Oh!” Guardian replied, smiling again. “Of course. Well… Kimball’s doing pretty well, mostly. But he went climbing before he was really ready and took a nasty fall.” She sighed. “I’m afraid he’s confined to his room, as punishment. But I’m sure he’ll come out to see you when he can—tomorrow, at the latest.”
I nodded again.
“And as for Carmen…” She sighed, and all the life seemed to drain out of her face. “ There aren’t any unexpected problems, no. But she doesn’t feel up to seeing anyone yet, either. Though she sent her best wishes to you, David. I’m sorry that I almost forgot.”
“Raaawr,” I agreed, my own voice sad. Something awful had happened to Carmen; I just knew it. But whatever it was, she’d clearly understood the situation going in. What a brave girl she was!
“And now,” Guardian declared, “it’s time for me to feed this little menagerie dinner. Or second-dinner, in the case of a certain always-hungry sparrow I know!”
Timmy blushed and shrugged, again with magical assistance. It was so strange, the way you could tell when nothing actually moved or changed color…
“I’d ask you if we could get you anything,” Guardian continued. “But, well…”
“Raawr,” I agreed sadly. It was just until tomorrow, I reminded myself. And I was lucky, really; things might’ve been much worse. For example, my bear-vision was so good that I planned to ask the wizards to leave it be, as soon I was able. I could see as well as ever by daylight, and even better at night. While who knew what poor Carmen was putting up with?
“Exactly,” Guardian agreed. “Good-by, David! We’ll be back to see you soon!”
“Bye, David!” all the others chimed in, sounding for all the world like children half their true age. “Bye-bye!”
I tried to wave by way of reply, and even though my joints didn’t quite bend the right way for that anymore I think I got the idea across. Then I finished my blueberries, laid down for a nice little nap in the sun…
…and sighed silently to myself as a smiling Baron Attache came striding up to instruct me further on why the German and Anglo-Saxon civilizations were so much superior to all the others.

Being a bear proved to be a lot of fun, once they fixed me up so that I could talk and smile and such like the others. While part of our two-week tryout was spent allowing the wizards could perform intensive magical tests on us, the bulk of our time was taken up by other activities. Like going as a group to watch the Pirates play baseball, for example, and being invited to dinner at the Mayor of Johnstown’s home. We also were allowed to spend some time traveling alone; I, for example, was transported in a boxcar way up north to where the berry harvest was well underway, and allowed to wander the fields and gorge myself all I wanted. That in particular was a lot of fun, because I was surprised by a black bear mother and her cub in a particularly dense little thicket. Or I surprised them, rather; it was pretty obvious that they’d never run into anything even remotely like me before. They ran away so fast that I wasn’t sure I could’ve caught them if I’d tried.
I was surprised at how much time and effort the Guild sank into my brief bearhood; it wasn’t until I took that little train trip accompanied by no less than three Apprentices assigned to guard me around the clock that I realized just what Guardian had meant when she’d warned me that I didn’t know how much I was asking for. But it made perfect sense when you thought about it, at least for the others. After all, they had a huge decision to make and only a fortnight to make it in; it was only right that they should learn firsthand what it was truly like to live as an animal in a human world, to have to wear an orange collar or legband with a nametag on it so that people would know at a glance that you were special, to get at least a glimpse of the huge social wall that would soon separate them forever from practically all normal human activity and contact. And, I supposed, it made sense to allow me to join in the group activities, at least, since they felt grateful to me and all that. But the solo berry-gorging trip? That’d not only cost a veritable fortune, but had taken up the valuable time of three valuable magic-users for four whole days. Plus they were doing the magic-tests on me, too, which didn’t make much sense either.
Maybe they did it because they thought I still might become a familiar after all, even if a German one?
Not that there was much chance of that, though I kept stringing the Baron along because Shaper wanted me to. “Please,” he whispered in my ear just before the black-robed mage gave me my voice back. “If you wish to become a German familiar, that’s fine with us. We understand. But don’t make any commitments until the very last minute. We have excellent but very private reason for this; please trust us?”
I raaawrred and nodded, which seemed to be good enough for Shaper. He smiled, patted my head, and didn’t raise the subject again. The Baron did though, of course, almost as soon as I was able to give a proper answer. He seemed sort of disappointed that I didn’t accept on the spot, which he found difficult to understand after I’d heard so much about how wonderful a nation Germany really was. But to his credit, he just smiled and kept right on trying, endless monologues and all. He was an interesting character, the Baron was—smart as a whip, of course, and by his own lights a caring, goodhearted man. In fact he once even claimed that he was a noted poet back in his own country, and I didn’t doubt him. Even in his awkward English he sometimes showed a knack for turning a pretty phrase, and he very much appreciated the beauty of life and the world he lived in. So his certainly was an artistic soul. But it was always German beauty that he valued the most, though he also sometimes made it a point to speak well of the various English nationalities and even we Americans. German beauty and German intellectual achievements and German armies and the German people. Yes, by his own lights he was a good and decent man. Which just made things all that much worse, because those lights were so seriously out of kilter. Or at least I thought so. And I was pretty sure that both Sister Madgalene and Father Branson would’ve agreed as well, for all the other things they failed to see eye to eye on. I just hoped most Germans weren’t like him or else, capable as they undoubtedly were, the world was headed for some very rough times indeed.
The berry-feast took place at almost the very end of my fortnight as a bear; a final decision would be required from us all by noon the day after I arrived back at the Castle. As soon as it was dark enough afterwards, those of us who wished to be Changed back would be. By them I was pretty much at peace with the idea of not having fur anymore, or being able to eat bucketful after bucketful of berries and wonderful raw fish. Yes, all things being equal, I’d have preferred to remain a bear even if it meant becoming someone’s slave in the theoretical sense of the word. A Kodiak bear truly was what I’d been born to be. But humanity had its good points as well, I’d realized ever since watching the other boys play their last baseball game and the girls their final dress-up party. And, since my only real bear-option was to work with the Baron and others probably very much like him, well… That was a non-starter. I rather suspected that in Germany, where everyone was already a ‘cog in the great machine that was the nation’, a familiar’s enslavement might be a considerably less theoretical matter than it was here in Pennsylvania.
So it was with my heart at peace that I laid on the floor in the bedroom that’d been reserved for my exclusive use—with me in it, after all, no one else would fit—and slowly groomed my lanky brown fur. The Guild had professionals on staff, of course; it was almost impossible to be a familiar or familiar-candidate and not have a coat perpetually combed to rich shininess. Or freshly-preened feathers, or whatever one did with scales, I supposed. But still, there was something deeply relaxing about just laying there and doing nothing but work with my fur, the part of the new me that I reckoned I’d miss most. I was up too late, yes. The wizards had relaxed discipline quite a bit since we’d adopted our new forms—so long as we didn’t do anything actively stupid or dangerous we didn’t get much grief. But still, there were rules about not wandering the halls and keeping everyone else awake. So I was a bit surprised when a fluttering noise leaked in under my door.
Bears are extraordinarily gifted in the sensory department, I’d been surprised to learn. Or at least Kodiaks are—I can’t speak for the rest. My vision was so good that I didn’t ask for any spells to improve it, and my hearing and sense of smell beyond anything I have words to express. Jim Jefferson, the Canadian trapper the Guild had engaged to shoot me if things got out of hand and all else failed that first night, turned out to be a really nice guy. He hung around an extra few days to get to know me a little and ask some deep, penetrating questions about my new body. “A bear can smell twice, maybe even three times better than the average dog,” he assured me at one point. “And hear at least as good to boot. You say that you can see just fine too? My god! It’s no wonder that we hunters keep getting killed!” While I’ve never been a dog and therefore can’t compare the experiences directly, my hearing was certainly well up to snuff. So I knew beyond any reasonable doubt that a sizeable bird had just come in for a landing outside my door.
“Cynthia?” I whispered. “Is that you?” It was a silly question, really; who else could it possibly be? She’d probably come to talk with me about whether or not to remain a familiar, since the question was still bothering her so much. I began the long, slow process of levering myself to my feet. “Give me a second; I’ll be right there!”
“No!” an unexpected vice hissed. It was Carmen’s. “Don’t come any closer.”
I froze in my tracks, suddenly lost and totally adrift. “Carmen?” I asked, bewildered.
“Yes!” she hissed. “And please! For the love of god, don’t open the door!” Carmen sighed. “Don’t worry; no one’s in any danger or anything. But… I just don’t want you to see me like this.”
“Right,” I agreed softly, understanding. Something bad had indeed happened to my friend. “Don’t worry. I won’t look. Word of honor.”
The rich girl sighed in relief. “Thank you, David. Such a gentleman you’ve always been!” She paused. “I’ve come because I decided I needed to say good-bye. And I’d like for you to tell the others for me. I won’t be seeing any of you again.” There was a short pause, just long enough for her to bite off a sob. “Ever, I fear.”
I sighed and looked at the crack under the door. The hallway light was seeping in, but all it revealed was two skinny bird-leg shadows. “It can’t be that bad,” I whispered. “Nothing could possibly be. We’d love and accept you regardless, Carmen. Surely you—“
“Ha!” she interrupted, and the bird-leg shadows moved as she hopped in place to emphasize her point. “Yes, you’d accept me. I know all of you that well; it’s why I love you so. But you’d pity me as well. And that, sir…” Her words faded away to nothing for a moment. “Anyway, I’m not going to allow it to happen. I want you to remember me as I was. When we danced, and while the charms still hid so much of the truth about me. That’s how I want the others to remember me as well, I’ve decided.” She paused again, probably to swallow more tears. “Pretty, happy, and whole.”
“Carmen,” I said, trying to keep my tone level and calm. “I’m returning to human tomorrow. And so can you, if—“
“No,” she countered. “I cannot! I’m something rather unusual, it seems, though one wouldn’t imagine so. Not only that, but I’ve got rare Powers that might come along only once in a thousand years. The Guild needs me to explore a very difficult field of magic, one that isn’t spoken of in polite company but which is terribly important regardless. Important to the future of the entire human race. And maybe even to everything else that lives.”
I lowered my eyes. “And what can that that future possibly be worth, if the only way to pursue it is to destroy the life a fourteen-year-old girl?”
“Oh, David!” Carmen whispered, clearly on the verge of weeping. “Cynthia is so damned lucky!” There was another wait, while she got herself under control again. ‘It’s very important, David,” she whispered finally. “Perhaps the most important research anyone’s ever done. If anything comes of it, that is—no one’s sure, really.” She laughed, just a tiny bit of hysteria revealing itself beneath the surface. “Wouldn’t it be a hoot if that happened? If I went through with this, and then we never learned anything anyway?”
I didn’t like the sound of that laugh, not at all. “Carmen,” I said. “I know I gave my word. But so help me—“
“I’m going now, David!” she cut me off. Her feathers rustled, then I heard large, slow wings, the kind meant for endless circling, pump themselves twice as a warmup. “Good-bye, and have a good life! I hope that Midnight’s right about you doing well; he almost always is, you know.” Then she leapt into the air and was gone.
I sighed, then slowly laid down on the floor again. But I wasn’t much interested in grooming myself anymore. For poor Carmen had revealed more than she knew. My nose might’ve been two or three times as sensitive as that of a dog these days, or it might not’ve. I couldn’t know for certain. But what I could be sure of was that Carmen absolutely reeked of carrion. Clearly she was a buzzard, or something akin to it. Ugly, bald, smelly, and repellent in every way. She speaks of death-magic, the little voice in my head whispered into a brain that didn’t really want to listen just then. Which is merely life-magic turned on its head. She’s right; leave her alone and tell the others no more than they need to know. Such a heroine deserves no less. If you truly love her, you’ll stand aside and let her find her own destiny. Just as you must find yours.
And I did love her, I decided now that it was far too late for anything to ever come of it. Enough even to let her go. So instead of chasing after her and making an awful fuss and ruining all her hopes and dreams of being remembered as she wished to be remembered, I lowered my enormous head down onto the polished wood floor and slept.

I normally would’ve expected to sleep badly after such a disturbing incident as Carmen’s good-bye, to rest only in fitful little bouts and probably have terrible nightmares. But somehow I didn’t; I was practically in hibernation, in fact, when around three in the morning a strange noise woke me up. I was just opening my eyes when Midnight hissed and yowled a second time, which was all I needed to groggily grasp that this was the same sound that’d awakened me in the first place. He and Timmy and Kimball lived directly across the hall from me, in my old room. Then Kim monkey-screeched as well, but this time the sound was cut off by an ugly wet-sounding thud. Instantly I was on my feet. “Midnight?” I tried to call out. “Kimball? Are you all right?” But all I could do was growl, it seemed. Which I did in frustration as I fumbled in the dark for the special latch on my door.
“David?” a new voice asked. “Is that you? Are you all right?”
“Raaawr!” I declared as finally I was able to throw my door open. Perhaps I was a bit enthusiastic; it broke into three separate pieces.
“Don’t panic,” the voice continued, smooth and calm. It was the Baron. “We’re under some kind of attack; all of the American-Guild people have been bespelled to sleep.” He flipped the light-switch repeatedly, which had no effect whatsoever. “The power’s out. All the standing spells are down. That’s why none of you unpledged familiars can speak just now. And I’m sure the pledged ones are all knocked out with their Masters. It’s how these things usually work.”
“Rrrr!” I replied, my lip curling suspiciously. Meanwhile Midnight hissed again from the inside of the pet-carrier he now occupied, slashing fruitlessly at the Baron’s thumb. Then little Timmy fluttered up to the top of the big full-length mirror-frame and exploded into the nastiest, angriest bit of song I’d ever heard from a sparrow, staring directly at the Baron all the while. After that, Kimball moaned and rubbed at the rapidly-expanding egg on his head. He looked pretty bad to me.
“I can’t ward off an organized attack all by myself.” the Baron continued. “So, I’m going to go make an emergency apport back to Germany, where Midnight will be safe.” His eyes narrowed. “He’s very valuable property, you see. Particularly since he’s not Sworn yet. I rather suspect that he’s what this is all about. Someone wants to steal him.”
Someone certainly does all right, I silently agreed as I nodded my understanding.
The Baron smiled and looked a bit relieved. Midnight hissed and slashed again, but the sorcerer paid him no heed whatsoever. “You’re not Sworn yet either, David. And my offer still stands. I’d be most grateful indeed if you came to Germany with me. Even now, in your unSworn state I could use your help. You’re plenty big and strong regardless, you see. And I’m going to apport from a very dangerous place, so that no one can trace us.” He tilted his head. “You can be part of the Race, David. It’s your birthright. And your truest, best destiny.”
I nodded enthusiastically, even as Timmy cursed me and Midnight stared in shock. Then with a healthy “Raaaaawr!” I endorsed my agreement. What my friends hadn’t seen was that the Baron’s Wand was in his left hand, tucked halfway up his sleeve and nearly hidden behind his back. Yes, I was going to attempt a rescue. Of course I was; how could it be any other way? But I’d be the one to choose the moment, not the Baron. Otherwise, I’d surely end up like poor Kim.
His eyebrows rose. “Thank you, son!” he replied with a little bow. “You won’t regret it. Perhaps even within your lifetime the world will be a far better-ordered place. And you’ll be an honored part of it all. Why… I promise that within a week, you and I will take a zeppelin ride together, overweight charges be damned! It’ll be a wonderful time for us both!”
I nodded and bounced on my forepaws in apparent glee, then the Baron took a moment to grin and scratch my left ear. It was amazing what whoppers a person could get away with, so long as they were telling people something they badly wanted to hear. When he was done he hefted Midnight’s little prison on his shoulder and reached for my collar. “Stay close, David” he urged me. “This might become dangerous very quickly.”

Sadly, the Baron didn’t release my collar again until we were well outside the Castle. Which was unfortunate, because it’d been majicked with a control-spell as a last-ditch way of halting me short of using a rifle in the event of my going on some sort of insane rampage. I had to obey the commands of any authorized sorcerer who held it. It was how dangerous familiars were handled in Germany, the Baron had explained smoothly to the Guild, and they’d been only too glad to allow him to demonstrate—that terrible moment when I’d held their lives in my paws back in the Changing-room was never far from their minds, and understandably so. I’d even agreed to it, since it was only a demonstration and I wasn’t going to be a bear forever.
But now, it didn’t seem like nodding my head and saying “Raaawr!” had been such a good idea after all. The best defense, I decided, was to not give the Baron any excuse to invoke the spell at all, to cooperate actively and completely…
…and then turn on him, fast and deadly, the second an opportunity offered itself.
Sadly, the Baron was highly skilled in bear-handling. Once we were off the Castle grounds the Baron led us directly down the road to the old South Fork Dam, whose failure had authored the terrible calamity of 1889. We didn’t meet anyone even though the near-full moon was plenty bright enough to travel by. Nor did I expect to; there wasn’t much cause for people to be out and about so late. “What an awful thing the Great Flood was!” the Baron said as we rounded the last bend. “And utterly unnecessary; German society would never have allowed anything so ridiculous to happen.”
I pressed my lips together, but said nothing. The problem was that he was right. According to the memorial plaque we’d stopped to look at on the way up, the Flood had been caused by an unbelievably inept series of decisions, from removing the spillway pipes in order to sell them for scrap to the complete failure of anyone to even consider that anything serious might ever go wrong. When the dam finally failed millions of tons of water were suddenly released down a steep slope, and the effects staggered the imagination. A mighty stone railroad trestle had collapsed in moments, whole forests had been felled, and the residents of several thriving towns ground to hamburger amidst the tumbling debris. There’d been heroes, and there’d been cowards. But, most of all…
…there’d been the unique, totally unexpected spectacle of hundreds of survivors, hopelessly trapped in wreckage that bobbed about in a new, temporary lake downstream, who’d slowly over a period of hours and even days burned to death as fire spread among the debris. The victims had screamed and cursed and begged for death within easy earshot of thousands. Yet they were as unreachable as if they’d been on the surface of the Moon. Some of those who witnessed it went mad, others threw away their own lives attempting hopeless rescues in the darkness and still-racing currents. None who were there, it was said, emerged unscarred.
It was therefore no wonder that the Johnstown Flood Pit was one of the most potent and dangerous gateways opened into the Underworld in recent history. And now, I understood for the first time as the Baron firmly gripped my collar and led us past the broken dam, that was exactly where we were headed.

“…aren’t completely understood, David. We don’t know anything about how or why they form. We’re not even certain about the causality of it all. That’s because we have at least some reason to believe that the actual underground cavity forms months, maybe even years before the calamity occurs,” the Baron was explaining as we carefully edged our way past the unconscious body of a Guild sorcerers, one of the group tasked with keeping a close personal eye on the Johnstown Pit at all times. He hadn’t been damaged yet by the Demons, I was glad to see, and even the Baron seemed pleased that none of him had been eaten. Carefully he readjusted the strap that held Midnight’s cage fast to his back so that he could access his right-hand pocket, then he dusted garlic powder all over the young man. “A wizard should carry garlic with him at all times,” he observed, smiling. “You never know when it’s going to come in handy. It repels so many unpleasant apparitions, you see.”
I nodded slowly. He and Midnight and I had just run into our first group of the undead about a dozen yards up the trail; the wards had failed here too, obviously. “Destroy them, David!” he’d instructed me. While the collar didn’t leave me any choice, the Baron’s order was unnecessary. They were hideous things, one the howling shade of a well-cooked young woman with an equally burned baby clasped to her cold breast, the second a sort of unidentifiable collection of body parts hovering in close formation just above the ground. The aftermath of a burn victim and someone who’d been ground up alive, obviously. I slashed them both across their midsections—or more correctly in the case of the second the center of mass—and both faded away to nothing. “Well done!” the Baron praised me. “And not a trace of fear! You’re going to be such an asset, David! Worth a whole battalion of Krupp guns. Why these blind Americans insisted on throwing you away, I can’t imagine.”
I growled in disgust, which the Baron apparently mistook for a victory-cry. “Such a good boy!” he praised me again. But what I was actually angry about was that he’d never released my collar for an instant the entire time. “Don’t feel badly about it later either, son. They’re not at all what they appear to be—another night they’ll reform and try to wander the earth yet again. Probably for a century or more, the initial event was so powerful. Again and again and again. They’re not human by any stretch, merely images like you see in a magic lantern show. Wind-up toys re-enacting the horror over and over again.”
I nodded, already having known. The old railroad bridge that’d collapsed sometimes reappeared as a Demon too, when the moon was right. Or at least it had until the wards went up. And, even more frequently, fires glowed in the place where the debris once burned. So, it didn’t take a human or even a living body to form Demons, just an event that exceeded a certain threshold of horror. Though only the once-living forms did things like eat faces and seek to create yet more terror. No one knew why. Then I thought about Carmen’ fate again and shuddered. Was she going to spend the rest of her life up close and intimate with such wretched madness?
The closer we came to the entrance of the Pit, the more Undead I was forced to dispatch. The earth also grew more tortured and twisted, the trees sickly, and the soil black and dead. The Pit proper was located maybe fifty feet up the bluff of the Conemaugh River, where its gaping maw formed an evil black eye against the freshly-fractured country rock. Incongruously, a neatly built and recently-whitewashed stairway zigzagged up the rockface, offering convenient access to those wizards whose duty it was to renew the wards. It looked pretty flimsy to me, and for a brief moment the Baron scowled at the idea of accompanying someone so massive up such light scaffolding. Then looked down at me. “We seem to have a problem, David.”
“Raaawr!” I agreed, trying to look disappointed even though a large part of me just then would’ve welcomed almost any excuse not to be forced to crawl into such an awful, unholy place.
“Well,” my companion finally sighed, patting my neck with his fingers while his thumb remained firmly hooked around my collar. “There’s no help for it, then. I’ll just have to risk leaving a small trace.” He smiled down at me. “You’re worth it, David. And more!”

And so it was that I took my first flight. While it was only a short distance from the ground to the rim of the Pit, I left my stomach near the river and it didn’t catch up with me again for several minutes. Smaller bears might be happy to climb trees, and perhaps Kodiak cubs even played among the branches. But, I’d never been a bear cub, just a human one. And at my current weight… I silently screamed the entire time as the Baron gripped my collar with one hand and twirled his wand in little circles with the other. There wasn’t anything holding me up, that I could feel; it felt like I was falling, falling, falling at the same time that I was rising. I stiffened and growled pitifully.
“Easy now, David!” the Baron ordered, and instantly I felt a sensation of peace wash over me. I blinked; could the Baron even give me orders as to how I felt? Apparently so! Then the command wore off and I was more terrified than ever. What would happen, I wondered, if I were, say, ordered to think that Germans were the best people anywhere? Ordered firmly and persistently? Or, maybe even to hate Frenchmen?
Suddenly everything seemed to be spinning out of control. What kind of monster was I in danger of becoming, anyway?
“Blert!” Midnight protested from inside his carrier; apparently he didn’t like flying much either.
“You too, my precious one!” the Baron answered him, concentrating on twirling his baton. “You just be quiet, and soon enough this unpleasantness will be over for us all.”
I swallowed my fear. The Baron was as distracted as he’d ever been so far, and while I couldn’t make my move yet at least maybe I could prepare the ground a little. So I turned towards Midnight, then to get his attention I growled in the most aggressive manner I could manage. The black cat looked at me and narrowed his eyes in rage, then lifted a forepaw as if to take a swat at me. But before he could…
…I winked at him, and nodded my head.
“Blert?” my friend asked, looking puzzled. So I winked a second time.
“Is he taunting you, David?” the sorcerer asked. “If so, just ignore him. Cats are like that, you see. Fickle, untrustworthy friends. I wouldn’t care to have one as a familiar, myself.” He finger-patted me again. “Bears are much more manly companions.”
I bared my teeth at the words, but luckily the Baron couldn’t see. Midnight could, however, and apparently the sincerity of the expression was what finally convinced him. He rapidly rubbed his face with his paws as if in contrition for ever doubting me, then stuck his nose out between the bars. I reached up with a forepaw, he nuzzled it as best he could, and we were fast friends again.
Most of the time Pits manifested themselves as holes in nice level ground; thus their common name. But being turned ninety degrees, the Johnstown example was more akin to a cave. That made it a lot easier to enter, assuming one either had a nice prebuilt stairway to use, or could fly. I expected it to be terribly dark inside, but it wasn’t. Instead a sort of blood-red glow, which had no apparent source, seemed to illuminate everything. “You’re seeing by magic, David,” the Baron kindly informed me as we glided down the Pit’s long, narrow throat. “Magic so powerful that even the mundane can interact with it. Just like the Demons.” He paused and smiled, as if this there were some kind of macabre lecture hall. “No one’s been in here for years,” he continued. “Maybe ever, this far back. Your American Guild won’t allow exploration.” He shook his head. “They think it’s too dangerous. What weaklings!”
I looked at the red glowing surfaces slowly closing in all around me, and shivered. Beneath my paws, almost close enough to touch, stood a veritable army of Demons, all of them animated by their palpable hatred for everything that lived. In all frankness, just at that moment I could appreciate the position of my countrymen.
“This is currently the most powerful active Pit on the planet by at least a factor of ten,” the German sorcerer continued, shaking his head. “Everyone wants to know what effects the containment spells have had. A lot of people think that a Pit’s staying power depends on its Demons, you see. If they’re able to cause more mischief-- to make the tragedy worse, in other words–the Pit theoretically is nourished and lasts longer. While if they’re contained, as here, its life might be dramatically shortened.”
I nodded, not caring much about the active lifespan of the Johnstown Pit. It was estimated that the flood had killed about twenty-two hundred people, yet the floor of the Pit seemed to be populated with far more Demons than that. Sure, some were dogs and inanimate objects and such. But… there seemed to be more humans among them than I could rationally explain Until I saw two identical twins standing near each other, both mutilated in exactly the same manner and even carrying identical rescue-axes. The place was absolutely crackling with foul, malignant energy. I blinked at the sight; quite possibly no one had ever documented multiple manifestations before. Sorcery was still such a new science, after all. And few others had ever been so far down the throat of an active Pit. Almost everything about them was a mystery.
Perhaps, the little voice in my head whispered, instead of increasing a Pit’s s energy the wandering demons might instead help to relieve it? Maybe in this area too, we’re more ignorant than we know?
On and on we flew. It felt like forever, but couldn’t have been more than a mile. The Baron was totally confident; he’d clearly been in Pits before, if older and less potent ones, and seemed to think that the only danger lay in the Demons. “So long as we remain out of their reach,” he declared, “nothing can harm us. And, an apportation is a very powerful spell. The further in we go, the less chance there is of it being detected and traced. So we shall penetrate as far as possible before beginning the incantation.”
By the time the Baron found a spelling-place he was satisfied with, I was half-convinced that we were flying down a living throat. The walls actually quivered with power, and the smaller rocks were transparent and semi-liquid. They actually flowed sometimes like raindrops down a windowpane, skittering along towards the Pit’s mouth. Fortunately the little shelf our sorcerer chose to alight on seemed a bit more solid. Though even it sometimes bumped and jarred us with little earthquakes. “All Pits shake in this manner,” the Baron exlained when he caught Midnight and I exchanging worried glances after a particularly bad tremblor. “This one’s just more active than most, is all.” He stomped his foot, hard. “And this shelf has stood through it all, ever since the Pit was first formed. Surely it’ll hold out another few minutes. Don’t be frightened.”
And of course I wasn’t frightened after that, or at least I wasn’t until the command wore off. Midnight, however, grew steadily more restless. “This isn’t a very good idea, I don’t think,” I could almost hear him say. Which worried me even more, because I knew well how closely Shaper and the rest had listened to such pronouncements from him.
An apportation was indeed a difficult, complex spell, or so the Baron explained to me as he set up the elements. “This is extraordinarily powerful magic, David,” he explained as he poured a series of powders onto a convenient rock. “That’s why we had to come in here, you see. It’s like setting off a magical bomb; if we hadn’t done it in a place already laced with magic, anyone could examine the remains and figure out where we went.”
I nodded and looked again at the pulsating jelly-like walls and sideways-dripping rocks and the host of Demons that’d gathered a few feet beneath us, hating with everything they had, and wished that he’d order me not to be afraid again. The red glow seemed to be growing brighter now, especially down-Pit, in the direction opposite that of the entrance. Then, suddenly, Midnight sort of went mad. He bounced up and down in his cage, as hard and violently as he possibly could, until finally the Baron unshouldered his carrier and awkwardly set it down before us. “What?” he demanded. “Why are you interrupting me?”
“Mrrrrow!” my friend declared, eyes all the way open and waving his paw at the nearly-finished spell laid out on the rock-table. “Mrrrrrow!” Then he shook his head so violently that I thought his neck would break.
“There’s nothing to be afraid of, little one. You’ll like Germany,” the Baron assured him, chuckling. “All familiars do. Eventually.” Then he smiled. “Now please! Don’t interrupt me again. I don’t want to stay in this miserable place any longer than necessary either.”
“Mrrrow!” Midnight called out in despair, looking at me. But there was still nothing I could do; the Baron’s hand remained firm on my collar.
The sorcerer had been nearly finished when he was interrupted; apparently all that remained was the addition of one last powder to the top of each pile. Then he made three passes with his wand, touching first himself, then Midnight, and then me respectively after each one. “Stay put,” he ordered me. “The spell won’t work if you wander too far.” Then he breathed hard into the largest dust-pile…
…and it began to sizzle and flare like gunpowder. Except that, of course, gunpowder never burned in such a beautiful emerald green, the same exact shade as the sourceless flame I’d seen in Shaper’s office.
“Mrow!” Midnight repeated in his most despairing wail. Then he did something odd. He curled himself up into a little ball, with his forepaws wrapped around his head.
“We’re almost home,” The Baron assured me, smiling and patting my neck. “It’ll only be a minute or so, now.”
Rapidly the fire danced about the spell, until suddenly one of the little piles sort of went woosh and flared green like a fancy Chinese firework.
As it did, the ground began shaking again. Harder than ever.
“Mroow!” Midnight wailed again. He was trembling now. Hard.
“It’s all right,” the Baron repeated, taking a firmer grip. “We’ll be home in seconds.”
Then a second pile flared, and the third. They were blue and red respectively. I began to feel all empty-sick inside, just like when I’d Changed. The shaking intensified. And the Demons all began wailing and screaming and shaking their fists at us twice as hard as before. Even worse, one of the sideways-falling liquid rocks zoomed by so close that it almost upset the spell.
“Almost there,” the Baron reassured us, though even he sounded worried now.
Then the spell-- all three piles-- flared in a burst of beautiful canary yellow. The Demons howled, the red-light down-Pit surged into an almost intolerable glare, railcar-sized liquid rocks fell like sideways meteors down the tunnel-walls…
…and the Baron stumbled and fell from all the shaking, causing him to release his grip on my collar.
It was stupid. It was foolish. It was something that might be expected of a little boy, not a near-full-grown Kodiak bear. But sure enough I just sat where I was for a few precious seconds, mouth gaped open as I tried to take in all the horrible ruckus around me. It wasn’t until the Baron desperately reached out from his reclining position and tried to regain his control over me that the truth finally penetrated my thick, ursine skull. The moment I’d been waiting for had not only arrived, but was already nearly past!
Instantly I ducked away, nearly overbalancing and tumbling down among the Demons. “No!” the Baron cried out, genuine concern on his face. “David! Don’t fall!” He grabbed at my forepaw as I teetered on the brink, giving up his only real chance of regaining my collar, and made a genuine attempt to save my life. “Please! I—“
But I never did find out what he planned to say next, though I rather suspect it might’ve involved how much he loved me and wanted to adopt me for his own. I’d listened quietly to him for so many hours after all, as he bared his soul; it would’ve been easy enough for such a prideful, self-deluding man as him to mistake my patience for affection. As he spoke the dustpiles went into a coruscating rainbow display, I reached out with a hindfoot and, abandoning all hope of maintaining my perch, kicked Midnight’s carrier spinning off into the darkness. Then I was falling, falling, falling again, just like flying. Except that this time instead of holding my collar and twirling his wand the Baron was falling after me, his face a rictus of terror. Behind him the spell finally actuated in a beautiful multichromatic glow, and the whole world exploded in a multi-chromatic sideways-falling sea of chaos.
Then I slammed into the ground, hard. The Baron landed alongside me with a sickening snap-laced thud, and suddenly I wasn’t flying anymore.

It was just as well that I fell among the Demons—not only did several of them serve to break my fall, but If it hadn’t been for the hellish half-collie— the front half, and only the front half—that instantly latched onto my left ear I might’ve laid there for a moment to figure out how badly I was hurt. Which would’ve been a fatal waste of time, most likely. So the Demons actually saved my life, though if their dim non-awarenesses could ever somehow perceive the concept I’m sure they’d have been disappointed by the fact. The dog was easily enough dispatched with a single swipe of my left talons, then I was up on my hindlegs in a flash, roaring with anger at the pain in my ear and slashing all about myself. A quick left-right-left, and the immediate area was cleared. Which bought me the opportunity to kick a thoroughly-ruined railway conductor and what looked like a farmer away from the unconscious Baron, before they had time to inflict any serious harm. Doing so, however, opened me up to a ruler-attack from an angry-looking schoolmarm. Hey! Didn’t she know I was in the same racket? Whatever happened to professional courtesy?
Each individual Demon, I could defeat easily. Effortlessly, almost. But there was an unending supply of them, and only one of me. Even worse, the ground was shaking harder than ever, the rocks had become so fluid that I felt I was standing ankle-deep in goo, the Baron was unconscious— he coughed sometimes when the blood from his broken nose pooled in his mouth—and I still had only the vaguest idea of which direction Midnight’s carrier had flown off in. I wasn’t going to fight my way out of this, it was becoming heart-sinkingly clear; I’d have to think my way out. If I was to make it out at all, that was. Plus a large measure of plain old-fashoned good luck, too, I realized with a sinking heart.
The problem was, the Demons wouldn’t let me think! Defending the inert Baron was almost like waltzing. One-two slash! Three-four kick! Five-six slash! Seven-eight raaaaaawr! in anger, which made me feel better at least even if it didn’t faze the Demons, who were too stupid to be afraid. Despite the fact that I almost never had to strike the same enemy twice, the rules clearly needed to change. But… They were always right on me! I couldn’t spare even a second to think ahead!
So finally I had to give up on thinking no matter how bad of an idea it might be in the long run, and simply acted instead. Dropping back to all fours, I accepted for the moment a good clubbing about the back and shoulders by a one-armed gandy-dancer Demon whose sledgehammer fortunately lacked a head. After all, it didn’t hurt much, my ribcage being what it was. Meanwhile I worked my left forepaw under the Baron’s limp body, then with a shrug sort of flopped him over my shoulder. I’d decided to save him if I could; for all the trouble he’d made he was human being too, and probably had perfectly good reasons for it all from his own skewed viewpoint. Besides, I’d watched him sprinkle garlic powder over a helpless man instead of leaving to die. How could I fail to rise to the same standard? Then, when the sorcerer was about as well situated as I could manage, I broke the rail-layer’s neck with a single blow, and slowly moved off in what I thought might be Midnight’s direction.

It was actually easier to keep moving than to stand my ground, I soon realized, because the Demons couldn’t cluster around me. Even better, it cut down considerably on attacks from behind. So I tried moving faster still, as quickly as I dared without dropping the Baron and losing my footing on the increasingly nonsolid rock of the Pit floor, and found that this was better still. As a result I had considerably more time to appreciate the increasing severity of the earthquake, the brighter and ever-more-menacing red glow emanating from down-Pit, and the obvious impossibility of locating Midnight.
But I got lucky on that score too—having just observed that making myself a moving target reduced the tendency of Demons to cluster about me, I drew exactly the right conclusion when I saw a group of burned-up children fighting over something roughly cage-shaped. Three quick swipes of my forepaws did for them all, then I was looking down once more at my badly-frightened friend. The pet carrier was pretty much ruined—one corner was all bashed in where it’d probably landed—and the door would never open again. It was all I could do to carry the Baron—I needed at least arm to fight with. Therefore, Midnight had to come out. But how?
Suddenly something stabbed me from behind, The cut stung worse than most, though it still wasn’t even nearly a deep enough wound to cause me real worries. I spun and knocked the head clean off an old woman with a missing leg—somehow she’d hobbled up and sunk a knitting needle into me. Then I turned back to Midnight, teeth still bared in anger, and made a crushing gesture towards his cage.
His eyes went wide, and he shook his head.
I shook my own in reply, then turned and killed another one of those faceless assemblages of parts that were somehow even worse than all the rest. Then I made the crushing gesture again. I’d been standing in one place far too long already. Besides, I was tiring and accumulating dozens of minor wounds. Couldn’t he see that?
He shook his head again, then bit his bars and shook them.
I blinked, then looked up and cuffed a very dead mailman. The cat was right, now that I thought about it. Just because I mostly fought with my claws didn’t mean that my fangs wouldn’t make better tools!
“Raaawr!” I agreed. Just then I was being assaulted with a broom; it hurt even less than the sledgehammer handle, and even better its small, petite wielder was taking up valuable space that the drowned bull snorting just behind her therefore couldn’t use to get through to gore me. I really didn’t want to fight that bull, I decided. Not with the Baron dangling from my shoulder, at least. So I let the deceased housewife beat me all she pleased as I sank my fangs into Midnight’s portable prison, clumsily locked it in place with my free forepaw…
…and sort of wrenched it open.
In the end it proved a lot easier than I expected; every day, almost, I kept surprising myself with how strong I was. Midnight sort of flowed out the way cats do and took up position between my hindfeet, probably the safest place possible for him. One of his own hindlegs seemed to be out of commission, but there wasn’t anything to be done about that. Not until we made our final escape, that was.
Which rather suddenly seemed more improbable than ever. The floor-shaking tempo suddenly increased, the red light became so bright it hurt no matter what direction one looked in, and all around us the rocks were suddenly going liquid and falling towards the exit. I looked at Midnight, who sort of shrugged. Something was about to blow, it seemed. Right there, right then, even as broom blows rained down on me and the bull awaited his turn. Then my little voice spoke again. All of this place’s horrors are derived from the Great Flood, it explained. The damaged bodies, the red of the fire, the tumbling rocks. What’s missing, David? You’re plenty smart enough to figure it out for yourself. Aren’t you?
The water itself! I wanted to cry out. For years and years the Pit had been warded and effectively plugged, then the Baron had set off what amounted to a magical bomb deep down its throat. Now all its pent-up strength would manifest itself in raging, awful water!

The shaking grew worse and worse and worse; now it was a steady sustained rumble of such violence that any natural cave would be in danger of collapse. But not a Pit; that was part of what was so awful about them. Powder charges, nitroglycerine, dymanite… nothing would close them until their full measure of evil had spent itself. Even walling up the entrances didn’t work.
The broomhandle was beginning to sting; the little housewife wielding it with both hands was attacking with every bit as much energy and lethal intent as if it were a serious weapon. She was using the stick-end, not gently shooing me away with the bristles. Still, she looked like a better deal than the angry bull behind her. So I let her not-live a little longer and, trusting her to protect my back, began moving up-Pit towards the entrance. It seemed to take a much longer time leaving than coming; probably that was because I had to claw out a path for us every single inch of the way. Meanwhile the anticipated water was making its appearance; the center of the Pit floor was now a raging black torrent, flowing uphill fast enough to sweep dozens of Demons along with it and carry them off to be drowned again like so many of their original patterns had. That’s how I dealt with the bull, eventually—in time things opened up enough that he was able to squeeze between the boulders and past the housewife enough to try and drive his left horn into my back. But it didn’t work out so well for him; a bull fights best by charging, and the Pit’s narrow confines weren’t exactly well suited to that sort of thing. I roared and spun—the blow did break a couple ribs, I later learned—slashing the beast hard between the eyes and leaving four evenly-spaced strips of naked bone. He roared in rage and surged forward…
…while I took advantage of a convenient side-passage to get behind him, then push hard. He was in the water before he knew it, bellowing and lowing pathetically as the current swept him away. It was almost as If he were extra-terrified, having died this same way at least once before. Then in annoyance I finally slapped the housewife, who through her many blows had probably hurt me more than any of the others. She slammed into the cave wall and broke open like a bag of laundry, then moved no more. I raaawred, raised my eyes to seek the next enemy…
…and was shocked to discover there were no more Demons immediately at hand. Though the new river was choked with them. Perhaps they weren’t smart enough to avoid the rampaging waters?
Meanwhile the ground was still shaking, and ominous red flashes were reflecting off the walls from a source much deeper down the Pit. This new river was clearly just a foretaste of what was to come. There wasn’t time to rest, and neither Midnight nor I needed to be able to talk in order to understand each other perfectly. We scrambled towards the exit just as fast as he with his three good legs and I with the burden of the Baron could move. Which turned out to be pretty close to the same speed, once you accounted for the difficulty of climbing around or over obstacles and factored in the one or two odd Demons I was forced to stop and kill.
We actually had the exit in sight, a pale blue pre-dawn oval against the harsh reds and blacks we’d grown accustomed to, when the deluge finally unleashed itself in earnest. It came in the form of what sounded and felt like a series of explosions, appropriately enough, as if a great dam had burst. Then suddenly we were up to our necks in a millrace and paddling for our lives. A millrace with rocks in it, unfortunately; I slammed into one after another, in the process breaking my right hindleg in a single, clean, pain-tinged snap. “Mew!” Midnight cried out—clearly he’d heard it as well. His green eyes had gone huge and round. My leg wouldn’t work at all anymore after that, and there didn’t seem much chance of saving myself. Besides, the Baron was gone as well; somehow, I hadn’t even noticed when the waters swept him out of my grasp. There was only one life left that might be preserved, or at least that was how it looked to me. So I reached out with a shovel-like forepaw, and scooped up Midnight, careful not to cut him with my jagged, newly-broken talons. Then I cupped him to my breast as if he were the most precious thing in the universe and formed myself into a protective ball around him. For better or for worse, I decided, this was how we were going to ride things out.
And ride we did, though we slammed into rock after rock after rock, and once my broken leg got caught in something and twisted in just the wrong way, so that I bellowed and writhed and nearly let go of Midnight, the pain was so awful. Towards the end I hit my head, too, so that everything was foggy for a long time afterwards. All I’m sure of is that I inhaled some water and nearly choked, then fell a little ways and hit my head again. This time I did actually pass out for a little while…
…until when I finally woke up my noggin felt like it was full of molten lead, my leg was throbbing so badly that I saw little red sparks with every beat of my heart…
…and Midnight sat perched on my chest in the bright sunshine, cleaning my face with his tongue.

It didn’t take me long to realize that I was lying in a hideously uncomfortable position. So I raised my head a little—
–and quite suddenly, for no apparent reason, Midnight raked me across the muzzle with his claws! “Sssss!” he cried, eyes round again. “Sssss!”
I blinked at that, then with all the stubbornness of a semiconscious bear tried to raise my head a second time. Sure enough, the damn cat took another chunk out of me! What on earth? I wondered. Why would he treat me so badly, after all we’d been through together? It didn’t make any sense at all!
Until I looked out of the corner and realized exactly where I was. Still forty feet in the air, lying on a half-smashed platform that’d once been part of the stairway leading up to the Pit entrance. The same stairway that’d looked so weak and fragile to us when we’d first arrived that the Baron had chosen to initiate his flight spell outside the Pit and risk detection rather than trust my bulk to it.
I laid back my head; it thumped like a lead weight against the boards, and the whole structure lurched sickeningly. Midnight yowled and sank his claws into my chest in panic…
…then the debris found a new equilibrium. “Mrow!” the cat complained, as in “Don’t do that again!” I blinked my eyes twice as an acknowledgement, not even daring to nod. Then he rubbed his face on me, purred, and lightly scampered away on his three good legs, off to I knew not where.
The pain was probably my best friend, when all was said and done. My leg wasn’t in too awful a position, when all was said and done, and surely it’d hurt even more to try and shift it a little than put up with things as they were. So I didn’t feel any great temptation to roll over or do anything stupid along those lines. I got plenty thirsty as the hours passed and the sun swept across the sky, but all I had to do to fix that was think about how much worse it’d hurt to move. Besides, the Pit was still expelling water, acting as a sort of fountain. Or maybe a waterfall was a better analogy, though the fluid emerged with enough force to carry it well out over where I lay, directly under its arc. There was mist in the air, which I could lick off of my nose from time to time. And if the pressure ever dropped, well… I could at least snatch a mouthful or two of waterfall while I was plummeting to my death.
At first I was angry at Midnight for abandoning me, though that was only because I was so muzzy-headed. He’d gone for help, I finally figured out once enough time had passed. And it was natural that it’d take him a good long while to find it. First he had to get back to the Castle—not an easy thing, given that the trail was certainly washed out and he was limited to three legs. Then he had to get the wizards to listen to him—I didn’t imagine that renewing our voice-spells were exactly going to be number-one on their priority list, after such a huge security breach and so many other important spells had gone wrong. If the sorcerers were awake yet at all, that was—they might very well not be. Or they might even be dead, though I didn’t really believe that the Baron had sunk that low. Some of them were probably German-Americans, after all.
I barked a single syllable of bear-laughter at that, and once again the platform shifted a little, though this time not quite so far. It was getting late in the day now. That should’ve been terribly important to me for some reason, which I couldn’t quite remember. So instead I just watched the little rainbows the Conemaugh River’s new waterfall generated in the setting sun. They weren’t merely pretty; they were hauntingly beautiful as they danced and weaved amongst the spray-curtains almost like the Northern Lights. It made me feel good inside, somehow, that even something as filthy and evil as a Pit could bring forth such beauty. Like, somehow, all our struggles and sufferings were worth it after all.
Of course they are, my voice reminded me. And though your struggles shall be much greater than those of other most other men, and your suffering proportionately greater as well, so shall your rewards. For it has always been so for we Protectors, and so shall it always be.
A tear flowed down my cheek. I was glad that bears could cry, I decided. Or at least that I could, anyway. You speak to me whenever it suits you, I addressed my inner voice. But you never reply when I in turn call out to you. Now I lie dying; I can’t last much longer. So please, just this once answer. Are you really just my subconscious after all, better at pulling together odd bits of information than my active mind? Or something more?
What do you think? the voice replied. You’re smart enough—figure it out on your own.
But I never did, I fear, even as I laid for hours with nothing to do but think and suffer, drifting in and out of consciousness all the while. Meanwhile the sun sank behind the hills. Then the full moon rose, traced its own path across the sky…
…and sank as well. Leaving me a bear forevermore.

“…might as well go ahead and be Sworn,” Cynthia explained from her perch next to my big, heavily-reinforced hospital bed. “I mean, there’s not much point in being what I am and not being Sworn, now is there?”
I nodded in agreement. Moving didn’t hurt nearly so much anymore, now that the Guild had majicked my broken bones. They hadn’t been able to for the first week; you could only majick a patient just so often, and the first two spells had primarily been aimed merely at keeping me alive. My heart actually stopped during the flight home, or so Guardian claimed. If Shaper hadn’t been right there, I’d have been a goner.
“Daddy’s going to take all of my money and fritter it away on nonsense,” she continued, turning and looking out the window. “And there’s nothing to be done about it until I’m legally of age. But at least I’ll be part of something important. And I rather like flying!” My favorite waterfowl smiled again. It was she who’d finally found me, after interpreting Midnight’s frantic charades. “I think that I’m rather happy with how things turned out.” Her face fell. “For me at least. I mean, I had a choice.”
I nodded again. Cynthia had decided to return to human form and live a normal life. Then the newly-irritated and unfettered Pit belched forth its venom and created a new disaster. On top of all the other failed-spell emergencies and distractions facing the sorcerers when they awoke, Johnstown had flooded again. Fortunately it wasn’t nearly so severe as that other time. Just as the Demons were but mere shadows of the Great Flood’s casualties, so this deluge was a much-lessened reflection of the original calamity. No one was known to have died so far, unless you counted the Baron. Not even any farm animals. In part that was because the Guild was so quick to respond and help carry people to safety. But…
…no wizard, no matter how talented, could both change Cynthia back and rescue flood victims at the same time. So, she’d stood aside and allowed events to take their course.
“Rrrrr,” I rumbled, looking away. Not having my voice spells reactivated was worse than the broken bones, in my book. But that couldn’t be remedied until it was certain that I was out of the woods and wouldn’t need another emergency majicking.
“Heh!” Cynthia grinned. “You’re cute when you growl!” Then she reached out with that long, serpentine neck of hers and pecked me gently on the cheek. “I sure hope you get better soon!”
“He’ll be all right,” Midnight declared from his own bed, not far from mine. “There’s not the slightest doubt of it.”
“Good!” Kimball replied. His head too was still covered in bandages. “There’s an apple tree out in the courtyard. They’ll be ripe soon, and I was thinking that if David here were to give it a good shake—“
“Don’t you dare molest that tree!” Suzy the cowbird scolded from her perch on the rim of my empty soup-cup. “There’s at least a dozen families nesting in it!”
“Tha’ woun’t be very nice,” Frederick added, raising his head from where he was nestled in my blankets. “Not ver’ nice ‘tall!”
I felt my mouth twitch and wished my smile-spell worked; oddly enough Frederick spoke up for himself more than ever now that he was a bunny. Or maybe it was just that we’d finally earned his trust; I had no way to be sure. Very carefully, I reached out with my paw and flicked it in front of his nose a couple times, as rapidly as I could.
“You wan’ me ta read some mo’?” he asked.
I nodded, and my mouth twitched again.
“Sho thing, then,” he agreed with a smile. Then he turned back towards the children’s book that Kimball had propped up for him in a blanket-fold. “Once ‘pon a time,” he began, “there were fo’ lil’ rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, C-c-c-c….”
“Cottontail,” Tim the sparrow said from his perch between Frederick’s ears. “Cot-ton-tail.”
“Cottontail,” Freddie repeated carefully. “And Peter. They lived…”
My lips twitched again; this new book was going to be an absolute sensation with the little ones; I just knew it . And it was just about perfect for Frederick, as well. He made it all the way to the end, hardly stumbling at all. Then all sorts of pandemonium broke out, with me “raaawr”-ing and the others cheering and Kimball, against all orders, getting up out of his bad and dangling from the chandelier.
“It’s too bad that Carmen isn’t here,” Timmy observed at last.
“Yeah,” Kim agreed, hopping down and climbing back into the bed he really should never have left. “I really miss her.” There was a long sad moment, during which everyone sorta looked sidelong at Midnight, hoping for one of his happy pronouncements. But this time, none came.
“Magic isn’t about what we want,” a new voice declared as Guardian swept into the room. “It’s about what actually is.”
“Yeah,” Tim agreed, his beady black eyes downcast. “I guess.”
“And one thing it actually is just now is bedtime,” she continued smoothly, reaching down to first lift Freddie up off my bed and then set him down safely on the floor. “Good-night, children!”
“Good night!” they wished us convalescents as they filed out the door. “I hope you’re all feeling even better tomorrow!”
As was her custom, Guardian attended to Midnight first, then tucked in Kimball before turning to me. She didn’t actually tuck me in, of course; she’d have ruptured herself trying. Instead she usually just kissed me on the cheek and turned out the light. But not this time. “You’re not particularly tired, are you?” she asked me.
I shook my head.
“Good,” she answered, pulling my privacy curtain into place. “Because I want to check something. It’s not supposed to be possible, mind you. But, I’ve got an overwhelming itch to look.”
I nodded again as she pulled back my covers and asked me to roll onto my back. I didn’t like that—My body wasn’t built for it anymore. But since Guardian was the one asking, it was no problem.
“If a Mark were present,” she mumbled as she fingered through my thin bottom-side fur, so as to examine the skin underneath, “it’d be right in the middle of your upper—oh!” And quite suddenly she stepped back, her right hand covering her mouth.
“Rawwr?” I asked.
Then she forced a smile. “It’s all right, David. Don’t be afraid. This is a good thing, or at least I think so. It’s just that…” She dug into my chest-fur again. “Another one!” she declared after a moment. “And still another!”
The next thing I knew Shaper himself was ruffling through my chest-fur, the whole room was abuzz with sorcerers, and Midnight and Kim had given up all hopes of rest. “What is it?” Kimball demanded for perhaps the seventh time, bouncing up and down in eagerness. “Please?”
Finally Shaper seemed to notice the young orang. “It’s a second Mark, if I’m any judge,” he replied at last, stepping back. “But that’s not supposed to happen.”
I shook my head angrily, hard enough to make the saliva fly. Wouldn’t someone please tell me what was going on?
“And…” he continued, looking me appraisingly in the eye, “our young berry-lover here has many of them. Seven, in fact, where there should only be one.” He turned to face Kimball. “They’re stars. The Mark of a wizard.”
I gulped.
“Is there a pattern to them?” another gray-robed sorcerer asked. I’d never met her before. She looked even older than Shaper, and had what sounded almost like a British accent.
“Yes, Mother,” he answered, turning to her and performing a sort of half-bow. “They’re patterned after a constellation. The Big Dipper.”
“Ursa Major,” Guardian whispered, suddenly understanding.
“The Great Bear itself,” Shaper agreed. Then he shook his head and looked down at the floor. “And now, if you all would be so kind I think we need to leave these healing boys to get what rest they can. I must think long and hard and deep about this. And have a good stiff drink, as well. Though probably not in that in order.”
“I’ll join you,” the old woman declared. Then she looked down at me and smiled. “All sorts of extraordinary things tend to keep happening around you,” she said. “Again and again and again. What do you have to say for yourself?”
“Raaaawr? I asked.
“Ha!” she answered, grinning and petting my nose. “Hold that sense of humor close to your heart, son. I expect you’re going to be needing it. Because in things magical there aren’t ever any coincidences at all. Extraordinary manifestations can only portend extraordinary times. Of the sort that are going to require extraordinary individuals to cope with them, I expect. And, I suppose, the earlier we begin the coping process the better off we’ll be.”
Then she bowed her head as if the weight of the entire universe lay heavy upon her shoulders, sighed, and strode out into the darkness.

I read this through in one hit - couldn’t wait to find out what happened! A few comments:

I didn’t get much of a sense of the other wizards and familiars who must have been around the Guild. It felt like a big empty box with 30 kids and a few teachers.

There’s also not much sense early on that David has been uncomfortable in his human skin all his life, which he suggests is the case once he gets his transformation. Unhappy with his place in the world, yes, but not as a human.

I was a little irritated by the Baron at first, as he seems a very black and white bad guy, so I was glad he got some shades of grey later on. I did think the image of Germany as an aggressive nation was laboured a bit too much.

Wands don’t turn up until quite late, except in the figurative ‘wave a magic wand’ line, so it’s a bit of a surprise when they do show up, and they’re not really used for much.

I wasn’t keen on the comedy elements in the fight with the demons, but that’s quite a personal thing; I always find humour/horror juxtaposition a bit disturbing.

Probably the kind of tiny nitpick you didn’t want, but ‘egghead’ is wrong for this period. That’s the only word that jumped out at me (and only because I once needed a similar term for a story I set in a similar era).

Thank you very kindly for your comments! And I’m glad you enjoyed it overall.

By my reckoning, the Baron is for all intents and purposes a highly specialized military officer-- that’s why he’s such a patriot and even jingoist. He’s also a Prussian nobleman circa 1900, an era when Prussia technically was just a province. But only relatively recently, it was supposedly commonly said in Europe that “Prussia consists of an army with a small nation-state sort of attached.”

I read a ton of military history, and this is how the worst examples of the breed strike me. I wouldn’t be much kinder to a jingoistic Brit, Frenchman or American of the same era. Nor do I intend to be. =:)

I thought you were pretty even-handed towards the man, just less so towards the nation.

Definitely a strong beginning to a series, with lots of setup and loose ends. Good luck with it!

Thank you again for your time in reading and your kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed.

Hiya! When was this first posted to the list?
I got tired of reading it in this format and I can peek into the archives!
bonus: it feels like cheating

I really like the alternate history you’ve constructed for the world here. It’s nice to see “real world with magic” where the magic isn’t hidden or reviled. The concept of familiars being transformed humans isn’t something I’ve ever come across before, and it’s great to see something genuinely new brought to the field.

I think Huskyteer touched on this a bit, but I don’t get much sense of what David thinks about his situation. The other characters all have definite reasons to want–or not want–to become familiars; I didn’t get the same strength of feeling from David about it. He doesn’t come across as having firm convictions other than protecting others, and we’re told (and so far have no reason to doubt) that he barely has a choice in that matter thanks to inherited magic. This leaves him as a little bit of a cipher.

The Baron’s dialogue is sometimes a little off for me. I think he engages in a bit too much explanation of Why Things Are This Way as he’s stealing David and Midnight on the way to the Pit. If those are important things for David to know, maybe they could be worked into conversations before that more organically. (The parts about the Pit, not Germany.) Or maybe we just don’t need to know that much yet. And a line like “In Germany, everyone is an important part of the State–cogs in the wheel of a machine far greater than the sum of its parts” is pretty much a big flashing light reading “MAJOR THEME HERE.” Maybe he could be a little less on the nose…

Some of the dialogue in and around Freddie made me cringe a bit, but of course I’m a guy reading this in 2015 and the characters are in 1900. On the other other hand, everybody else reading the story will be in 2015 (or later), too, so, I dunno. I think you handled it generally well. I would consider whether to stick to standard spelling for him as much as possible (e.g., just stick with “sir” instead of “suh,” maybe noting something about pronounciation in the text the first time).

While this probably isn’t the sort of book I’d pick up under my own volition (if I didn’t recognize the author’s name ahead of time, that is), I’m interested in seeing where this goes now, so you’ve sufficiently hooked me. Good job!

P.S.: you realize this will be the second series you’ve written about an extraordinary young animal man with a great destiny, and both are named David. :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t remember even what year it was. I’d guess somewhere about 2009, but could be grossly wrong. Sorry! Would you like me to send you a WORD copy? I’m about to be out of town and operating on a nearly-used-up mobile data allotment, but could send it to you next week.

Thank you for your very kind words!

Yeah, the “David” thing is pure coincidence. Perhaps I need to do a massive find-and-replace… Maybe a more “period” name, like “Zeke” or something. Besides, it’d redistribute the wear on my keyboard a bit. =:)

I did handle the Baron’s accent as you suggested, dunno why I didn’t do the same for Frederick. I’ll give strong consideration to changing that as well. Overall, Frederick was very difficult to handle. On the one hand, when I was a young person we studied “Huck Finn” in HS and the teacher went to great lengths to demonstrate how it’s actually very much an anti-racist book and an important, praiseworthy social commentary. On the other, in 2015 a significant number of people want to ban “Huck” as racist. It’s difficult to strike a balance between current sentiment and historical reality; my own opinion is that truth is truth and historical reality should be served as best as possible in this matter more than most. I’ve leaned heavily on what older people, including a few African Americans, have related to me over the years about their own experiences back then. (The rail-station situation was based on a real childhood memory of the 1940’s from a black woman I know and respect greatly, for example, though I’ve toned it down considerably–the reality was both even more disgusting, and violent to boot. I also may use my own grandfather’s recollection of the first time he ever saw a black person before all is said and done-- he was from very rural Missouri and was twelve, which would date the event to 1931. Close enough!) I don’t think it’s possible to discuss this subject anymore without pissing someone off, yet… Are we supposed to just never write books set in this period? Or just pretend that overt racism of the most obnoxious sort wasn’t part of that world? (Everywhere, not just America.) Heck, Teddy Roosevelt-- who’s a character in the next book!-- was a screaming racist by modern standards, yet for the time was a flaming liberal in social matters. Woodrow Wilson-- also liable to become a character-- was, I’ve heard it alleged, arguably the most racist president in US history, and that’s counting the slaveowners. (I need to do more research on this.) He’s liable to become a character as well. So, this is an issue I’ll probably be dancing around over and over again if I choose to finish this series. Or, maybe I oughta just leave Frederick in as-is, as a recognition of the ills of then-current society, and ignore the subject from that point on like most period authors do? Yet that would be very out of character for David…

By the way, this issue more than any other is why I submitted this book to be looked at here-- I sought to find out if it’s seen as racially offensive or not, above all other things. But I didn’t want to pre-suggest that it might be, becasue that would “prime the pump” and make people look extra-close. So, thank you especially for commenting on that.

I tend to leave my protagonists a bit “empty” so as to allow the reader room to fill up the empty spaces with him/herself. It may be a mistake, or it may not. But that’s something so key to the work as a whole that it’d be easier to write a whole new novella than change. So, I’ll probably stick with the current approach.

Again, I’m very grateful for your time and effort. Thank you!

It's difficult to strike a balance between current sentiment and historical reality...
Yeah, this is always a sticky wicket; I had a little bit of this in a story set in the 1970s when a girl takes the (male) protagonist to a gay bar. It was a (hopefully) funny scene with his "oh my God, I can't be seen here" kind of reaction, but I suspect a more true-to-the-time reaction would have been much [i]less[/i] tolerant. But to a modern reader that'd make him look kinda like an asshole, which I didn't want.
I don't think it's possible to discuss this subject anymore without pissing _someone_ off, yet.... Are we supposed to just never write books set in this period? Or just pretend that overt racism of the most obnoxious sort wasn't part of that world?
While I don't subscribe to the "if you're not pissing people off you're not trying hard enough" outlook, well, sometimes you're going to annoy somebody. Sometimes they might have a point worth listening to, and sometimes you have to say, "Well, sorry to lose you as a reader." :)
Or, maybe I oughta just leave Frederick in as-is, as a recognition of the ills of then-current society, and ignore the subject from that point on like most period authors do? Yet that would be very out of character for David...
I don't think you can ignore it, since David doesn't seem like he would. It's probably better to err on the side of your (sympathetic) protagonist being ahead of his time in these matters.

I found the posts in July 2009, when I was sorta sometime poking my head in out from under my bed… I’m on 10 now.
The breaks are a little better this way and I now where I left off more easily this way.

Anyway, reading for pleasure first because I felt I failed to tell another writer what I thought of her work because I couldn’t tell of the overall effect. But here’s what I want to suggest from where I’m at in the story…

I would recommend a name change, if you’re amiable, to something like “Angilak Aklark” which is a rough translation of Big Bear into Innuit. I’m assuming at this point that David becomes a Big Bear. Because of the title of the tail, for no other reason. If I’m right, that might distract the surprise later on… and if he becomes a Bunny… then I’m going to be surprise.

I haven’t read the other posts yet, so you’ll have to decide if this valid concern.

Onward, more reading for me!
8)

At this point, I’m hoping to name the series “Written in the Stars”, though that’s just a working title, and name every story after a constellation. So, I’d kinda like to stick to Ursa Major if I can. Besides, weren’t the blueberries a dead giveaway anyhow? =:)

It was the fish that did it for me :slight_smile:

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but in section 27, the choreography seems a bit off. It’s the only glaring thing that came to me in the reading. The fight with the ghost bull. The Baron seems to stay on David’s back/shoulder too easily during this trial. I’m sure you know the lifeguard’s dilemma, (if you don’t, you missed a lot of Baywatch episodes during your prime years) where the life guard having been pulled pass barnacle-encrusted dock pilings has to allow the rescued victim to take the impact for him, otherwise there could well be two victims needing rescue.

So I have no problem with the Baron taking his lumps during the extended drubbing, but I expect David might. Also, there’s some spinning and turning and slapping… which I imagine David standing to slap (as opposed to slashing)… and even if the unconscious Baron is instinctively clutching David’s collar… I think the Baron should be a more noticeable albatross during this escape (and God Help Me, if I were writing this, I’d probably make that about three animals fleeing demons… a cat, a bear, and a German Albatross… one of the many reasons you’re a better writer than I).

Might just be me.

Minor problems are minor. I want to see more of the period here, here. Different decades are like alien planets and it doesn’t really feel like the “Turn of the Century” here. Not that anything feels inauthentic, either… it’s just well, I thought the opening might have been from a very good Harry Potter fanfic… the ingredients… a handful of magic friendly kids, a train station, a school with wizards, magic marks, and some angst and bonding as they settle in… you probably need to do much more to make it your own… and of course this is a minor issue because you can do that, and have done that, very well.

I know what I would do to make it more me, but you won’t want to be me (with good reason) so, I think I will leave the advice at more American Turn of the Century Feel.

Oh, and thank you for Teddy. He’s my favourite! And I love that you made him an Owl, not a bear.

Egg-Head is very close tho’… off by 15-20 years. I think Highbrow might be the better word for the time and the meaning.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words, Greyflank. All the areas you point out for improvement are valid, but I’m not sure if I’m of sufficient skill to address them all. Certainly, at the very least I oughta be able to to touch up the fight scene a little. You’re right-- upon reflection the choreography there sort of extra-sucks, and it oughta be easy to fix.

Again, thank you! And I think you’re a truly excellent author, BTW. Your stories are some of the most memorable I’ve ever read anywhere.

I say the same about you all the time!