Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Typewriter Emergencies

Hiya!

I figured I’d post a thread with info and changes, as well as keep a way for people to ask questions or comment. I have sample readings available for anyone who would like to get a feel for what we are looking for. I also have recommended reading list and such. We were taking submissions through email, but as we’ve not received much (I believe there’s 1 submission so far), I decided to switch it over to Submittable to keep it all organized. Submittable will be where practically everything is submitted for our review, whether it is Typewriter or Vagabonds, or even just a general novel submission. It simply makes life easier for the writer and the publisher involved. If for any reason you are not able to use Submittable, please let me know through email and we can work it out from there.

Basic Guidelines:
-Deadline May 1, 2015
-5,000 10,000 words Maximum, if you need more space than this, please let me know and I’ll see if we can work it out.
-Stories must feature Anthropomorphic characters (AKA humanized animals).
-Ratings PG-R accepted
-Payment: Authors will be paid a flat rate of $20 per story accepted.
-Theme: These Things Shall Pass / It’s a mad world out there
-Include in your email: Name (pen name is fine), Story Title, Story Synopsis, Author Biography, and Word Count
-Files Accepted: DOC, DOCX, RTF
-Times New Roman, 12pt Font
-All submissions must be sent through Submittable. You can find our link below. If you are unable to submit through our Submittable page, for any reason, please email me at the email listed.

Any issues, email: systmaticwzl@gmail.com

Weasel Press is releasing a Furry anthology called Typewriter Emergencies and it is currently calling for intense psychological dramas in which characters have to overcome some harsh realities. I’m looking for dark and existential fiction focusing around the theme of “These Things Shall Pass/It’s a mad world out there.” There’s a wealth of things that fit but some examples of what I’m looking for in this anthology would be Bullying, Sexuality, domestic violence, drug abuse, poverty/homelessness, anxiety. We’re looking for situations that would cause intense psychological strife. We are looking for stories featuring anthropomorphic animal characters (aka humanized animals) following this particular theme.

I suppose you could say there’s a love affair between Weasel Press and the Bukowski’s or Hubert Selby Jr.'s of the world, and that’s essentially what I would like to see in this submission call; furry versions of heavy existential fiction. If you need examples of things to read, feel free to shoot me an email (systmaticwzl@gmail.com)

Ratings PG-R are accepted. Adult and Sexual themes are allowed, however excessive gore and sex is not. Pretty much, if it’s related or crucial to your story then it is fine. If it has nothing to do with your story then it’s probably not going to be accepted.

Authors accepted into Typewriter Emergencies will be paid a flat rate of $20 for their story and will receive a free copy of the anthology when it is released. Payments will be made through paypal (Weasel Press will pay the fees for using paypal, if any). If another method is needed, let me know and we can work it out. Multiple submissions are accepted, however it is asked that you keep it under 3 submissions. Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but the author is required to inform us if it has been accepted elsewhere. Submissions must not contain any copyrighted characters that the author does not hold the copyright to. Any submissions featuring minors in sexual situations will be rejected.

This is the first furry anthology I’m doing. If things go well I hope to do another with a different theme. Feel free to email with any questions or concerns.

What rights are we asking for? We are asking for exclusive publication rights for print and ebook purposes for a period of one year from the time of publication date. After the one year period we ask for Non-Exclusive publication rights in perpetuity.

http://www.weaselpress.com/#!submission-calls/cgru

Any chance you might be interested in reprints? (Since you mention “exclusive publication rights,” that makes me think the answer’s probably no, but just asking to be sure.)

Sure, reprints are fine!

I somehow missed this. I have an idea that would be perfect! In fact, I have a partial draft. Yay, I’m excited.

Submitted and thanks!

Alright, currently closed for submissions. Everyone who submitted should receive your decision within 1-2 weeks. Also, slowly looking for artists for a cover, which will probably be a rather simple design. Will keep updated when more updates come.

I’m happy to say that the cover is now complete! Artwork done by Kala Miryhis Quinn. Twitter: @miryhis You can see the artwork here.

It’s going through one more round of edits before release. I’m working on a September date. Payments are still going out as scheduled.

This is inspiring me for all the wrong reasons, but “typewriter emergencies” has set off a Blast From the Past set of old memories for me.

I have become known in fandom for my expertise in science-fiction, general animation, Japanese animation, furry fandom, and so forth. But those were mostly hobby activities that morphed around 1990 into my profession. Before then, I was a professional librarian.

In 1964, when I was 23, one of my first jobs was at the Los Angeles County Law Library, in downtown L.A., about two blocks from the Mexican and Latin American social & business center of L.A. I used to walk during my lunch breaks to a Mexican bookstore to browse, and to buy a ton of Mexican superhero comic books that led to my writing my first extensive article in fandom, “¡Supermen South!” for the comic-book fanzine “Alter Ego” about Mexican superheroes. That was when I really discovered that Spanish Spanish and Mexican Spanish are NOT alike! Chispas! Mexican Spanish has been much more pertinent to me.

But I digress. I was hired by the Los Angeles County Law Library because 1963 was just after a wave of U.N.-inspired international good will, when most of Europe was giving its African colonies independence around 1960. New countries like Nigeria, Togo, Upper Volta, Democratic Congo (ex-Belgian) distinct from the Republic of Congo (ex-French), and lots more were setting up their own Supreme Courts and starting their own legal journals; and the L.A. County Law Library was suddenly getting a flood of brand-new and uncatalogued publications, mostly in French, plus a few others. There was one from a Yukon Library Association in Canada that included such news as that an early spring thaw around Whitehorse had made the snow too mushy for dog sleds to travel on, and one result was that people with books checked out from the Whitehorse P.L. couldn’t get to it to return them when they were due. The Whitehorse P.L. was putting overdue fines on hold until the snow melted completely and people could travel again by non-winter transportation. Anyhow, I cataloged all the new periodicals for a little over a year until they were all registered in the Law Library as serials, and I discovered that I had just worked myself out of my job.

But while I was at the Law Library, another librarian called in from time to time on a freelance basis was an elderly retiree who always brought his ancient typewriter with him. It was a pre-WWI Franklin that he’d learned to type on, and he’d never bothered to learn how to use more modern typewriters. All of us younger librarians were fascinated by it and tried to type on it. It was HEAVY. The keys with the letters came DOWN from overhead. It was so much stiffer than then-current typewriters (which are still stiff compared to modern word processors and computer keyboards) that some young librarians found it too hard to use it. The elderly retiree didn’t have any trouble with it, but for the rest of us, it was a real Typewriter Emergency that we were glad we didn’t have to deal with.

http://www.typewritermuseum.org/collection/index.php3?machine=franklin&cat=kd

It’s official. Typewriter Emergencies is now live. You can grab print copies through Amazon and the Weasel Press Storenvy. Kindle formats should be up by the weekend. A second T.E. is currently under debate.