Furry Writers' Guild Forum

The Recycling Bin

Have a great story idea that you know you’ll never get around to writing? Want to see another author make it happen? Or are you ready and eager to write, but don’t have a clue what to write about? Well then you’ve come to the right place!

Feel free to share your ideas here! You can be as vague or as descriptive as you want. Just bare in mind that once it’s posted here, it’s up for grabs for any reinterpretation the author sees fit.

I’ll go ahead and post the one from earlier today:

A stripper/dancer raccoon whose stage name is “Rackoon”. Her goal in life is to be appreciated for something more than her breastasis.

A ham sandwich comes to life and begins stalking pigs, using frozen Gherkin spears to slay them

On a more serious note :stuck_out_tongue: I had a weird dream this last weekend that might be good kindling for a horror story or even a creepy/pasta. I won’t bother with the weird and unrelated details :stuck_out_tongue:

People at a work site were disappearing, yet in one trailor (they slept on site for some reason) a note was found scrawled out in pencil. It explained that if you go to sleep only to wake in a small, abandoned town in the middle of the night, get out of the town before midnight. If you fail, the Scarecrow will come to get you. The only way to escape the Scarecrow was to stun it by attacking it. Do not attack it indoors though, because it will corner you, and it will kill you. If you must attack it, attack it outside, then run for the main road and don’t stop. To stop is to die. If you see others running on the main road, no matter what direction they’re running, run with them. The combined strength of consciousness will be enough to break through the borders of the town so you can wake up.

It was about then my alarm went off >.> So yeah, would love to see this idea used somehow. For those familiar with CPs, it seemed a lot like part of the Holders series. Almost like you had to grab something from the Scarecrow when you attack, and when you escape you’ll wake with it in hand or in your pocket. I’d really love to see this become something more though.

I actually ran a RPG quite similar to that.

What if the world was a giant corporation, and every species had their specific job and role within society. Well, you know SOMEONE would try to break that. Show them what happens when you try to break the system. IT BREAKS YOU HARD.

Story/novella/novel set in a near future in which, due to rising global temperatures, while still not an ideal location for a colony, Antarctica is no longer quite as inhospitable as it once was. In an effort to confront overpopulation, the governments of major world powers have come to an agreement as regards disposing of convicted criminals or other societal “undesirables” - in a throwback to Britain’s original use of Australia as a colony for convicts, Antarctica is designated the world dumping group for unwanted peoples. Convicted criminals, political troublemakers, racial minorities (as in species looked down on by greater society or the ruling powers), and any other undesirables are taken to the southernmost continent and essentially left to fend for themselves against both the hostile environment and their largely anarchic, atavistic fellow castaways.

Here’s one that has some interesting and perhaps scary implications, and I’d be curious to see how it would be handled in a literary work.

What if it were possible to buy/sell a year of your life? That is, for some amount of money, you could sell a year of your life, so that afterwards, you have the money but can expect to die one year sooner, while your buyer can expect to live one year longer. What would become the market value of one year, given the economics of supply and demand? Could a sufficiently wealthy person buy their way to immortality? What kinds of crimes, black markets, and other controversial if not dark implications would arise as a result of the existence of this ability? Is there an upside to it that makes it worth the problems?

Wasn’t there a movie based on this premise? For the life of me I can’t recall the name >.<

In Time, if I’m not wrong

A pretty good movie, also, if I’m remembering it right.

Was poking at storytoolz.com’s title generator and some really neat ones popped out. Could be fun for others to use, at least as writing exercises if not as inspiration for actual stories X3

Bloodstained Universe
Hero to Hold
Hero Watch
(A) God to Hold
I Hear the Bird of Fire
I Think We’re All An Echo
A Deskful of Echo(s)
The Empire Beyond Your Sky
Not Long Before An Echo
The Empire of Air and Darkness
The God Beyond Your Sky
I Hear the Universe
We All Die Beyond Your Sky
Not Long Before (the) Universe
Hero Beyond Your Sky
The God (of) Air and Darkness

God of Air & Darkness? yoink :wink:

Sweet! X3

EXTREME CONTENT AHEAD, DEALING WITH ABORTION. SKIP IF NEED BE!

Not furry related, but inspired by Bête by Adam Roberts, presently nominated for a Cóyotl award.

I didn’t care very much for the prose in Bête, but I thought the concept of a PETA-esque group AI-chipping animals into intelligence was pleasantly plausible-sounding, doubly so when the animals often served as mouthpieces for the animal rights agenda.

But it occured to me that I think Adam Roberts actually saw another story in the idea, and chickened right the fuck out of it. I think this because it happened to me, and so I’m going to file this one in The Recycling Bin and leave it to braver writers than I:

PETA AI-chipping animals to grant them intelligence and advocacy isn’t the big story in the idea.

Pro-life groups is.

The day the foetus hung itself, Doctor Sangford washed like he’d been raped.

The endoscopy video had been seen by two technicians. Lucy, Andrew. Administration had clamped down hard at the first whiff of the news. They’d be politely invited to a board room off-site where a very polite man in a lawyer’s suit would sit down and explain, in calm, measured tones, that for something this size he was authorized to wield both a very big carrot and a very big stick. And politely, he would explain to Lucy and Andrew the precise size, colour, and aromatic deliciousness of the carrot. Doing so would impress upon them both the unspoken size, heft, and career-shattering hardness of the stick.

Doctor Sangford had already met the man in the lawyer’s suit. Neither of them let the pretense fall. Doctor Sangford solemnly pretended the man in the suit was a lawyer, and the man in the suit solemnly pretended that Doctor Sangford was still a doctor. The cheque had been in a pristine, law-firm stationary envelope. The legal document detailing the stick had been in pristine, law-firm language. He signed without reading much of it. Took the cheque. Shook hands. The man in the suit pretended not to notice the rest of Doctor Sangford shaking.

It was just prudence, he knew. Nothing personal. But it was still unnecessary. Talk about what he’d seen through the endoscope? With the press? With anyone?

A foetus with its cord deliberately wrapped around its neck. Infant fingernails, fine and sharp as scalpels, had cut the message into its own chest:

NO.

I think I will be skipping the Dystopia anthology to work on other things, but there’s an idea I’d love to see tackled, one I’ve never seen dealt with in furry as of yet: breeding rights and species threat.

Our world is divided only by ethnicity, nationality and religion, but everyone is still human. With humans, someone in China can have a child with someone in England, thus our pool of potential mates is incredibly large and limited only by location (and societal factors like class, etc); conquered nations intermix with their occupiers, rather then cease to exist. In a world where species cannot interbreed, every new species is a threat to everyone else, because that’s another group eating up the resources for your species, one you can’t breed with to increase your numbers. It becomes a race to get more resources, take up more space, and out-breed the opposition, otherwise your species will go extinct.

Now, drop this in a modern world where war is avoided, technology and economy level playing fields, and what happens? You could end up with two schools of thought.

One is a heavy societal pressure to breed as much as possible. The threat then becomes overpopulation, putting a strain on resources. The less extreme version of this attitude would be that everyone is expected to at least reproduce once, to maintain a base continuation of the species, with large incentives for more children. This might result in communist-like or collectivist herd societies, very strictly rationing resources to prevent starvation, and most choices are focused on group benefit over individuals.

The opposite argument could be quality rather than quantity. In order to conserve resources and ensure the species is at its best, who should be permitted to breed and consume? In nature it’s survival of the fittest: only the strongest, smartest, best manage to survive long enough to breed, and the weak/old quickly die rather than consume. Modern society lacks that culling nature of weeding out the unproductive, and anyone can potentially breed. What I’m talking about here is basically eugenics + bias against the old and weak. A society where some force (like government) takes over for Nature, requiring people to prove their genetic quality for the privilege to breed, and a society that turns its back on those not in their breeding prime, the old/sick exiled to fend for themselves or simply euthanized.

Both ideas can exist in the same world even, with one species preferring one over the other. Which inevitably causes conflict too.

An idea I haven’t really been able to flesh out, that someone might use:

A magician is retiring. Which leaves his white rabbit at a loss for what to do.

Was the rabbit the brains of the operation, and the magician was just the front man? Is the white rabbit magical? What about the white doves, what are they going to do? What if the rabbit finds a new magician, but the rabbit and lovely assistant do not get along?