Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Statistics - Marketing on Facebook

(Note: This is copy-pasted from a post I made originally on WebFictionGuide, and realized it might be of some value to the local Guild. While the content herein was intended to be specific to the WebSerial author community, I trust and hope it will be of use to my fellow guild members. Please comment and reply if you have any of your own statistics to add and compare re: Marketing on Facebook.)

Budget: $35.00 ($5.00/day for 7 days)
People Reached: 1055
Page Likes: 32
Cost per Like: $1.09

Facebook advertising is extremely cagey about presenting its stats in a standard advertising way, which doesn’t inspire much confidence in me. However, the response results weren’t terrible:

My response rate was 32/1055, which translates into 3%. Compared to Reddit and Google, there’s definitely a lot more engagement per impression.

Unfortunately, almost 90% of those engagements came from Mobile users, which means that if you’re going to use Facebook for a webserial, make absolutely sure that your site works well on mobile devices.

User demographics were particularly revealing:

18–24
5 Likes
261 Impressions
$1.19 Cost per Like
$5.95 Total Spent

25–34
3 Likes
242 Impressions
$2.18 Cost per Like
$6.55 Total Spent

35–44
7 Likes
263 Impressions
$1.04 Cost per Like
$7.26 Total Spent

45–54
9 Likes
168 Impressions
$0.93 Cost per Like
$8.34 Total Spent

55–64
8 Likes
121 Impressions
$0.86 Cost per Like
$6.86 Total Spent

Gender Breakdown:

Female: 22 Likes, 709 Impressions, Cost per page like: $1.09, Engagement 3.1%
Male: 10 Likes, 336 Impressions, Cost per page like: $1.08, Engagement 2.9%

Country Breakdown:

Canada: 1 Like, 134 Impressions
United Kingdom: 3 Likes, 257 Impressions
United States: 28 Likes, 665 Impressions

All 32 engagements were on mobile devices. No Likes at all occurred on PCs. 25 of the 32 likes came from Android smartphones!

Analysis:

The numbers provided are of a limited and low-confidence sample base. As such, some interesting artifacts of data are easy to dismiss as error bars, while other insights provide reliable feedback on the performance of Facebook ads.

The biggest surprise to me was the gender disparity in engagement on Facebook. More than twice as many women as men are clicking on From Winter’s Ashes, despite the advertisement being deliberately as gender-neutral as possible.

Age of engagement wasn’t as surprising: Facebook appeals to an older demographic, and that shows. While they’re more likely to have disposable income, they are less likely to engage in modern payment methods, such as PayPal and Patreon. Of the 32 Likes, only two resulted in conversions to Patreon clicks. None of them became Patrons.

Of greater value in this advertisement, if not financially, was that 32 people with Likes on Facebook are 32 people who see each update notice posted to Facebook.

Demographically, engagement was especially high with Christian women of color ages 40-65, with notable spikes in engagement in Alabama and Ohio.

Monetarily, the higher expense of a Facebook Like will only trade off if you’re using Facebook effectively to engage your audience. Your content will definitely matter; Facebook demographics overall are skewed towards women ages 35+. If you believe your content would appeal to that demographic, Facebook might work for you.

Overall, I’m not sure that Facebook’s high cost-per-engagement is a fit for From Winter’s Ashes, or most webserials. I’m wondering if most of my readers are, in fact, engaging the story with mobile devices. (If so, then designing for mobile presentation is critical.)

Comments, questions, insights? I’m glad to help however I can.

Did you advertise on any other sites? Was it you who said advertising on FurAffinity was successful, or am I thinking of Sean?

I had some success with FA, though I’m not sure how many people I’ve told that to. Advertised on FA twice, and got three clients out of it, two of whom lasted.

Almost 90% of those engagements came from Mobile users...
I've tried to impress on people just how important mobile browsing has become, usually with very little success -- but I think people tend to underestimate just how much browsing they do on their phones, particularly when that "browsing" is happening in non-browser apps (i.e., you've clicked a link in the Facebook app). If your site isn't mobile-friendly you may be losing 20-30% of your potential readers.

In this particular case, I think an awful lot of people just check Facebook on their phones when they’re bored and have a few minutes to spare.

Here’s a question, though – how do you account for (or do you even try to account for!) people who respond to an ad but don’t click immediately? Web metrics have drummed in the notion that your ad is only successful if it makes someone click on it, but of course that’s not the way advertisements work anywhere offline – the idea is just to make people remember the name. For Claw & Quill, for instance, it’s may not fair to say, “Well, reviews don’t drive sales because our web referrer log doesn’t show anyone clicking a link on C&Q and buying from us,” because you can’t capture someone who remembers the name when they see the book on a con table, or just makes a list of several books to buy at once and goes to the web site later. (Or goes to Amazon.) That doesn’t directly translate to your case, of course, but I can certainly imagine the name might just stick in their minds without them clicking right then.

Thanks for posting these! It’ll be helpful when I start marketing my novella, and I’ll point Fae to them as well. He’ll be interested. ^.^

[quote author=Chipotle link=topic=862.msg8890#msg8890 date=1440432306]

Here's a question, though -- how do you account for (or do you even try to account for!) people who respond to an ad but don't click immediately?

At the end of the day, given that I’m focusing on a webserial and its readership, I go just by metrics of clicks, visits, and referrer pages when available. (Unfortunately, so many browsers now are do-not-track that it’s becoming frustratingly difficult to get good referral stats.)

So mostly, I don’t worry about the known unknowns, and focus on the known knowns. :slight_smile: