Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Seven Deadly Sins: Furry Confessionals

Thurston Howl Publications is now accepting submissions for its first furry anthology, Seven Deadly Sins: Furry Confessionals.

Deadline: November 1, 2016
Word count: 2,500-8,000; a little above and a little below will be acceptable

Seven Deadly Sins has been a literary trope for centuries, popularized by Italian poet Dante. They are as follows: pride, greed, lust, wrath, gluttony, envy, and sloth. This collection will be divided respectively into the seven parts. We want to see anthro-animal characters at their darkest and weakest moments: at the whorehouse, at the chopping block, in the morgue, in the dining room with the candlestick. It is perfectly fine but not required if submissions are NSFW. We are honestly expecting a fair amount of horror—especially in Wrath—and erotica—especially in Lust. However, again, adult stories are by no means required for acceptance. All story submissions must be “furry” in nature.

We will not accept much of the same that Voice is not accepting in their Neko anthology http://www.anthroaquatic.com/forum/index.php?topic=1137.0. If you are unsure, just shoot me an email at jonathan.thurstonhowlpub@gmail.com.

You can submit up to three stories, but we will only accept one per author (if any).
Reprints are fine, but you have to own full permission of the work in order for us to consider it.
We will not accept simultaneous submissions.
Payment: Authors will receive a free copy of the print book.
Send submissions in .doc or .docx format to jonathan.thurstonhowlpub@gmail.com.
Title your email with the sin in all caps, e.g. “LUST.” If you are sending more than one submission, send multiple emails instead of putting them all in one.
We will inform all authors regarding decisions within a week or two after the deadline.
Book will likely be released mid-January in plenty of time for Valentine’s Day.

Submissions per theme so far:
Lust: 3
Gluttony: 3
Wrath: 5
Sloth: 6
Greed: 3
Envy: 6
Pride: 4 (plus one from Kirisis and one from Varzen)

Oh! This sounds like fun! :smiley:

What happens if there are a lot of submissions for one category?

How does your payment structure work? For example, are you paying half a cent per word, a flat rate, or something else?

Ajax, looks like payment is by contributor copy:

Payment: Authors will receive a free copy of the print book.

Also, I don’t believe I’ve said hi on here, so Hi!

Hmm. I wonder how to make sloth compelling, beyond being about sloths.

We will only accept a few stories for each sin, so in the published form, it will be evenly spread out. I might make a tally in the original post so people can see what I have received so far as I get them. Only payment is a free print copy of the book.

Is there any requirement for how the “sin” is depicted?

Like does the “sinner” have to suffer some sort of karmic backfire or something?

I have an idea for greed, maybe gluttony too.

Zarpaulus, no, there is no such requirement. It does not have to be a punished sin at all. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

perks ears
Hmmm… this could be interesting. 8)

Bumped the publication date up a month so that we can easily publish it in time, and also added a section showing submission representation for each sin so far that I will update regularly.

Very interesting concept. I might have something I can rework for you, but it’s debatable what category it would fall under. Hmm… I’ll have to see what tweaks I can make before I send it in since it’s a poem at the moment.

Oh, I have the perfect story for greed! :smiley:

Can’t wait to see it. :slight_smile:

Can we have an update on submissions per sin? :slight_smile:

Nothing has changed yet. Still a couple months to submit though. :slight_smile:

I have a “Gluttony” story finished, but I’m a bit uncomfortable sending it before I’ve written the Greed and/or Pride ones.

And I’ve put those on delay for that “Dogs of War” anthology.

One more month to submit! Keep those submissions coming in.

I’m half tempted to use Wrath as an outlet piece >.> No idea if I could muster an actual decent plot for it with how much I’m currently juggling, though.

Certainly can’t hurt to try. :slight_smile: After all, the idea for this anthology came out of real-life personal experiences.