Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Renaming Animal-term nomiculture in furry settings

Often one of those topics that comes up in furry writing circles is dealing with words that have “human” or “man” in them and how to deal with that (like Human Resources).

But I’d like to talk about the opposite of that - terms that use animals in them. Like bullshit, gym rat, drunk as a skunk, horse’s ass, and so on.

In a world with sentient animals, these would be highly offensive terms. It would be like saying “Indian Giver”, or an “Irish Lunch” (getting drunk in the middle of the day) or to Gyp someone. If the story is set in a time period or a culture where this kind of prejudice is accepted towards certain species, it makes sense. However if it’s a modern (or future) setting where the society is more politically correct, it becomes highly less likely it would pop up in casual conversation and cause no issues.

Furthermore, it just makes a lot less sense in-world. Why are rats more associated with the gym than other species? Why would a bull’s feces any worse or stand out more than another’s? And the only reason why “drunk as a skunk” came about not because skunks act drunk or get drunk, but because skunk and drunk rhymes. Such terms would have to go along with a species’ behavior (or perceived behavior), and that only fits some of our language; others is merely what animals we had most commonly at hand (hence bullshit, horse’s ass, and jackass).

To me the most troublesome word is bullshit, because it’s the most commonly used day-to-day term that’s likely to come up in conversation. Now, I’ve seen it changed to crabshit (on a planet that’s 90% water) and dragonshit (in a fantasy setting), but in a furry setting, it’d really depend on what animals are eaten? Or some domesticated animal? Birdshit?

The reason “bullshit” is used is because, from my understanding, “to bull” is an archaic verb meaning “to fool, to confound”. For example, French “boule”, Icelandic “bull”. So the bull in bullshit is “nonsense” or “fool”. I guess you could always call it “foolshit”, or shorten it “You have to be shitting me”.

Similar to “drunk as a skunk”, where there’s the connotation towards “stinking drunk”, when your BAC is enough people can smell the booze on you. So you can get rid of drunk as a skunk by just using stinking drunk.

Kits, you actually bring up a really great point in your explanation.

Sometimes the best ways to deal with ‘speciest’ terms is to look into the actual rhyme and reason for them. Sometimes it really is what animal is most prevelant in that particular culture (the middle-eastern insults have done amazing things with camels, goats and horses >.>). Other times there’s a history, a reasoning that probably shouldn’t be ignored if you wish to find a way to change it to something more appropriate for a present day or futuristic story (ie (for the sake of lazy simplicity) ‘stubborn as a mule’, whereas mules are practically legendary for being downright stubborn even in this day and age).

I’m trying to think of any idioms where losing the animal trait entirely prevents the concept from being shared. I can’t think of any off the top of my head but if anyone runs across one I’d love to hear it.

Oh boy cracks knuckles Let’s see how interesting we can get here, if only because I want to see how Kits would clean them up:

Alligator Bait
Ape
Camel Jockey
Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkey
Coon
Crow
Frog
Fuzzy-Wuzzy
Hairy Back
Jungle Bunny
Northern Monkey
Porch Monkey
Sand Monkey

Also apparently calling a woman a jerboa in the middle east is an insult as well.

Mostly racial, each of these uses the animal itself as the insult. So I suppose what it would come down to would be to have an understanding of the culture the story is taking place in and how they might view species that don’t live in their area. Remember that a lot of the ‘best’ insults come from at least a hundred or so years ago, before travel was an easy thing, and in some cases have a history of sorts, even if today’s generation doesn’t fully understand it.

For example, if a pack of wolves swept down from the north and ravaged a southern village of rabbits because food was scarce and they were desperate, it wouldn’t matter if every other pack was noble and loyal and kind. It wouldn’t matter that the particular pack had tried to work with the village and had been betrayed, and only sought to keep their pups safe. That entire area could then think of wolves as savages who care naught but for their stomachs, possibly eating their own pups if that’s what it took to satiate their hunger. What greater insult to give your enemy then, but to call them a savage child-eating wolf? It might not even take that much. Just seeing a pack of wolves for the first time hunting down its prey, even if that prey is non-sentient deer, could be traumatizing for the vegetarian villages. What sort of monster could have such a thirst for blood? Such efficient killing machines! Don’t let your children out at night or the big bad wolf will eat them!

Or on the flip-side, a pack of wolves witnessing a rabbit cowering in fear, unable to move, unable to run, unwilling perhaps to fight back? What sort of cowardness does that take? How could you not even fight for your own life, not to mention the lives of the helpless kits in your den? What greater insult could be given then, but to call another wolf a cowering rabbit? How much weight could that hold in being compared to a creature that can’t even defend its own young? It doesn’t matter that rabbits can get viscious when defending their dens. All it would take is one rabbit to be frozen in fear, and one passing observation, and one use of the insult for it to catch. And if that was carried through the generations, it might rear its ugly head even once wolves and rabbits made peace, and began to co-exist.

Don’t you love history?

This site is just fun to see how other cultures view different animals :3 Could be a fun tool to use in future stories as well.

First term that came to mind is “Crow’s Nest”.

I’m on board with the idea of just changing the reason for the term…once in this important expedition/battle/something this famous look-out was a crow.

“Dog tired”? Well, there was that forced march, in that one thing back in the 30’s or 40’s, part of that big war? Remember?

“Walking on eggshells”? That’s offensive in and of itself to a bird fellow, so don’t get me started. :>