Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Reflections on Membership in Light of Admission Discussion

First of all, I want to state that I am in favor of regularly reviewing admission requirements as modes and methods of writing change. I created this separated from the Requirements discussion to avoid derailing the focus on actual by-law changes.

However, admission requirements are in place so as to limit membership. Why limit membership? Membership is limited so as to not stress the organization’s membership services. If an organization does not actually offer membership services, then it is a private club catering purely to a sense of exclusivity. Opinions of the Guild with long term, veteran writers who did not travel the press publication route still hold the Guild as trading in exclusionary elitism. In the past, I have defended the Guild as it existed in the present. I realize now that in doing so I was ignoring the fact that the Guild maintains a “membership” with limited to no benefit. Coyotl participation could be modeled after Leo’s requirements and not linked to a membership to the Guild. The only regularly visible service is the member’s only forum section which is essentially social media. We keep coming back to “What is the Guild for?” and continuing to expand membership without offering services to members is continuing to be an exclusionary elitist group. If that is what we are then it should not be a question of expanding membership so much as eliminating FWG Membership.

I have only ever felt proud to be a FWG member, but what substance was I proud of? In the last five years, how many socially active members have come and gone, existing as members only in that master list of names? I have to consider whether or not I published my first story in Fang 6 because I wanted to be published for myself, or because I wanted that elite designation of FWG member (which is ultimately a meaningless marker of belonging).

The Guild has shown substantial improvement of late. It is a big deal that the Oxfurred Comma succeeded. There is a lot of momentum, but another issue was (re)raised as a result. Who is the Guild for? What is the raison d’etre? Groups like SFWA are professional organizations that represent the interests of the members (writers of speculative fiction) such as issues of fair pay and contract disputes. There was an incident that a few here might remember that occurred back on the Slack, which raised the question of the potentially uncomfortable situation of the close relationship between writers and publishers within the structure of the Guild. While the observation was made in anger and (in my opinion) without cause, it is an observation that deserves some consideration in calmer spaces.

It was the Guild’s decision, and not a bad one, to showcase publishers for #FurryBookMonth on Twitter. However, to what extent has social media engagement with writers who are promoting ours and our colleagues’ work this month been included? This has included writers’ tweets getting retweeted by a publisher, and the publisher’s retweet getting retweeted, rather than retweeting the original message from a member. Additionally, members have raised concerns over Oxfurred Comma providing a platform to panels that potentially harm members and the Guild as a writer centric organization.

The Guild could persist as a networking forum. I think most of us would agree that FWG offers above else the space for all of us involved in some level of furry writing a place to meet. However, this does not require nor should require one to be a FWG member. If that is the direction that makes the most sense, then the FWG membership should be dismantled. Thus, discussing admission requirements would not be necessary as the Guild would persist as a networking and promotional tool, without claim to the representation of furry writers.

There is a rather lengthly discussion in #guild-policy-discussion on Discord about the purpose of the FWG. To summarize my personal opinion. (Kayode the Member, not Kayode the Vice President)

Personally, I see the guild as furthering authors getting paid for their work. If that’s primary goal, then its membership should be of people who further that goal.

As I said, my person opinion. We (FWG staff) still need to nail down a mission statement.

If the mission of the guild was I said above, not much would change.

Our Telegram, Discord, and Forum would be freely available as they have been. Non-members will always be welcome in our spaces.

What can be done for members specifically is something we are still working out. The FWG hasn’t done a good job of this previously but we are trying to change things.

We started with new code of conduct, new bylaws, restarting the monthly newsletter, and running Oxfurred Comma. These things help form a more concrete identity for the guild.

The next step is creating a real non-profit organization, 501©(3) probably. That will open up a lot of options for things we can do for members. Our president can speak more on that than I can.

I’ll be responding, and of course full bias as president of the guild here! With that out of the way… I wanted to address things you mentioned.

veteran writers who did not travel the press publication route still hold the Guild as trading in exclusionary elitism.

This is part of exactly why we’re discussing changing our guidelines. It’s obvious we’re missing out helping some authors that have found success in other ways. The guild is modernizing in this way to be a bit less published books from publisher only focused. We’ve had people join from an online serial they write this year as an example, we want this to be an easier process so folks can see they can join up.

I realize now that in doing so I was ignoring the fact that the Guild maintains a “membership” with
limited to no benefit

Current guild benefits include:

• Voting for the Cóyotl Awards
  • Being listed on our Suggested Reading page
  • Being able to use our Promotional Tip Line to get your work promoted
  • Yes, the ‘prestige’

Now, part of why more services haven’t been offered in the past is time/resources (people have day jobs, the guild is a hobby that the folks running it make happen for absolutely free) and our status as an organization. There is a reason why I pushed trying to make the guild into a 501©(3) and this year we’ve begun the process of this happening. When we’ve got that under our belts, we can include some amazing perks like:

• Discounts on services to translate your book into other languages
  • Discounts to editorial, graphic design, printing, shipping, and distribution services
  • Discount on Grammarly
  • Discounts on ISBN numbers
  • Programs to list works on NetGalley (similar to the SFWA)
  • Programs to help promote books through blog tours (potentially, I’m working on that one).
  • Potential to publish anthologies ourselves to provide more publishing opportunities
  • Potentially run some writing retreats (likely online in the current situation)

We’ve also discussed having a program to help list and promote people who are open for writing commissions, but that one is more waiting on when we can do it than the business side of things. That big list too? It’s just hopefully a start! Believe me, we’re likely to find and come up with other awesome ideas.

Who is the Guild for?

This is probably the best question to ask! It’s one we’re asking ourselves often honestly. We’re here to promote anthropomorphic literature in the best ways we can. Hopefully, that’s something we can continue to do. Through things like Oxfurred Comma and other new programs maybe that can happen! In general, though it does seem like we’re moving to support furry writers in general, but that doesn’t seem like a bad thing

This has included writers’ tweets getting retweeted by a publisher, and the publisher’s retweet getting retweeted, rather than retweeting the original message from a member.

We have an entire promotional tip line for folks who want their tweets retweeted or shouted out. Or heck, any other kinds of shoutouts! Folks volunteer to run our social media, it’s unreasonable in general to expect someone to go through the tweets of every guild member. But in general, it’s not the guild’s fault if they don’t use a service we’ve advertised as existing repeatedly.

Additionally, members have raised concerns over Oxfurred Comma providing a platform to panels that potentially harm members and the Guild as a writer centric organization.

I wish I could see this, could you show me where this has happened? Not a single mention of it has occurred on our feedback forms for the convention. I’d like to know when folks have problems, but it’s hard to see them if people don’t bring them up in easy to see places!

Now, for your general idea: yes we’re a wonderful group for socializing and networking! That’s certainly true. We’ll keep growing stronger in that regard too. However, that doesn’t remotely need to be the only thing we do. We may not be negotiating contracts or other things like the SFWA, but we can manage tools to help promote our niche writing as furries to greater heights. Members are going to appreciate some of the awesome things we offer in the future, and heck offer even NOW, if they choose to take us up on the services we provide.