Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Recipes

Share your favorites! I will be back after work to post mine* for pumpkin bread.

*actually one from Allrecipes.com but with very slight variation in spices

Thank you, PT, for giving me a wonderful way to drag my wolf onto this site :3

Pumpkin Gingerbread
(makes 2 loaves)

Ingredients
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1 can pumpkin puree (15 ounces)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour (in my oven, it’s 55 minutes).

Store covered at room temperature. Either full loaves or slices can also be wrapped well in plastic wrap and frozen.

Trying to remember if Amenthor can have cloves. If so, this might just be a recipe we’ll have to try :3 Thanks for sharing!

Hunter’s Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce!

Feeds: A Small Army
Cook Time: Approx 6-8 hours, or the patience of those waiting running out.

Ingredients:

2 29oz Cans of Tomato Sauce
2 12oz Cans of Tomato Puree
2 12oz Cans of Tomato Paste
2 14.5oz Cans of Hunt’s Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatos
1 17oz Bottle of Standard Olive Oil (But you can use Virgin If you Like)
1 Bottle of Cabernet Savuignon or Merlot Wine.
2 8oz Containers of Chopped Garlic
2 4.25oz Cans of Chopped Black Olive
2 Moderate-sized Shallots
12 Large White Mushrooms
1 Container (Preferred Brand Spice Islands) Italian Seasoning/Herb Mixture
2-3 Bay Leaves
Salt
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Paprika -or- Chipotle Chili Powder
3-4 Heaping Tablespoons of Brown Sugar (optional)
1 tbs Chipotle Tobasco Sauce
1 lb Italian Seasoned Pork
1 lb Ground Beef (15% fat preferred)
1 lb Ground Bison Meat

DIRECTIONS!

Sauce Base:

Take the cans of sauce, puree, paste, and diced tomatos and add them to the bottom of a 6-8 Quart Crock Pot until it is about half full.

Take the Olive Oil and pour 1 cup in, then pour 1 cup of your wine and pour in.

Set the Crock Pot to High, and begin folding and stirring the mixture until the olive oil has combined with the rest of the sauce and wine.

Let Sit for 1-2 hours

Seasoning:

Take 1 8oz container of chopped garlic and put it all in.
Take Italian Seasoning/Herbs and put it all in.
Stir until even.

Take Salt, Peppers & Paprika and measure out at least a tablespoon of each and add in.
Stir until Even.
(If batch tastes too spicy-hot because of this, use Brown Sugar to even this out.)

Let Sit for 1-2 hours. 2 Hours preferred.

Regardless of time spent simmering, after 1 hour, take your Bay Leaves, and add them into the sauce whole. We will be removing these later.

Veggies:

Cut your Mushrooms into six pieces each, and you can leave the stems in if you like. I prefer to remove them.

Dice both Shallots.

Add these and both cans of chopped Olives to crock-pot, and then stir until evenly distributed.

Once more, Let Sit for 1-2 hours.

(Most cooks will note by this point that the crock pot is fairly full. I do this because I almost always have someone who either does not want meat, or would like something else in place of meat in the sauce. By this stage, you can take sauce off the top and place in a seperate saucepan for them, or you can simply put a batch off to the side to store later. You can scale this down if you want to make more room, but this is how I cook it, so this is how you will learn! :wink: )

Meat:

Take your pork and your ground beef and place it in a pan with about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1-2 heaping tablespoons of garlic. Once both have begun to brown, add in the buffalo.

Add some additional salt and pepper at this time to the meat to help bring out some of the flavor.

Once the meat and garlic have begun to brown fully, and sweat out some juice, pour in a cup of red wine, and then cover. Let it simmer until the alcohol has burned off, and the meat no longer looks entirely purple from the wine.

Take meat and juices from pan and pour into crock pot.

Add 1 Tablespoon of your Chipotle Tobasco Sauce into the crock pot.

Stir slowly until combined, and then let cook together for another 30 minutes to 1 hour.

At this point, turn the Crock Pot to low, so you don’t overcook the meat.

VEGETARIAN ALTERNATIVES:

Take some Eggplant and some Portobello mushroom, or alternatively some zucchini. Cube your vegetables and place on a baking sheet. Brush both with some olive oil, and then salt, pepper, and a hint of garlic powder on each.

Heat oven to 350, and place sheet in uncovered for 30 minutes.

AS FOR THE REST?

Pasta? Pick what you want. I tend to use the traditional and cheap enriched white flour spaghetti noodles, but don’t limit yourself. I actually have friends who want me to make a lasagna with this.

Here is a warning for you from the creator of this monstrosity. It will bubble, and you will get red spot stains on your countertops. You cannot fight this part of the process, it just happens. Either put out some towels or accept your fate. Also make sure to taste constantly during the process. If your palate does not like the kinds of spices used, feel free to replace something or use another agent to even it out. I find brown sugar works better than granulated for this sauce, as it starts to taste too much like candy.

I swear this is the main reason PT made this thread XD Sounds amazing though o.o

Made these and posted the results on twitter some time ago: almond date bars. Very tasty, and a good snack. You will need a decent amount more honey than this recipe says, though. I’d say ~double what the recipe calls for, then throw them in the freezer (pre-cut, or you’ll have to deal with trying to cut a frozen block)!

Why oh Why must I hate nuts in any other form than by themselves… SIGH

Well… there’s also peanut butter.

Yeah >.< Amenthor’s allergic to tree nuts. Can have all the peanuts he wants though!

I’ve made these ribs several times, and they are utterly fantastic.

Makes sense, it’s Alton Brown :smiley:

What’s funny is I actually hate nuts, but those bars are gooood. They don’t taste like almonds or dates at all-- in fact I was convinced they were granola bars the first time I had them.

I tend to improvise a lot when I cook and the recipes are never exactly the same, but I’ll approximate a dish I came up with recently:

Untitled Asian Inspired Dish #1

Ingredients
Teriyaki sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Rice Vinegar
Ginger (powdered)
Ground allspice
Ground black pepper
Orange peel
1 packet of Phad Thai Seasoning
Olive oil
Tofu (about 1 lb)
Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts (1 can each).
1/2 lb. Pasta of your choice (I recommend long flat flour or rice noodles).

In a bowl, mix about 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce with Worcestershire sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, allspice, pepper, and orange peel to taste.

Drain the tofu and leave it in its plastic container, then cut it into small squares with a knife. Leave it in the container and pour the sauce you prepared earlier over it until the sauce covers the tofu completely.

While the tofu marinates, cook and drain your pasta, then set aside. Open and drain the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.

Take a skillet or wok and add about 2 tbsp of olive oil, then pour your tofu, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and Phad Thai seasoning in and stir fry at medium-high heat until the sauce has soaked into everything.

Serve the resulting mix over the pasta, or mix it all together. Serves 2-4 people.