Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Poetry Collection: Putting Out Feelers

Neither. We’re talking about one particular early submission, a shaped poem where the words represent the thoughts of mice hunted by a cat and are arranged on the page to represent the cat’s ears, fangs, and eyes. So just one page.

If the whole manuscript was submitted in PDF, that could include special formatting like shapes. (I think?)

No, just one of my concrete poems. It really works best with a black background.

Yes, PDF is one way to make sure the formatting comes out as we want it. Though in this case we’ve seen examples and know that Weasel is experienced and capable in meeting the needs of poetry production, so we can use whatever methods they recommend.

Mmm, yeah, if we go Weasel Press, it’s all to be submitted as a pdf anyway. Mando, I can send Weasel your contact info if you’d like. That way you make sure everything is perfect and you get all the info you need.

I must confess, the more we talk, the more comfortable I’m getting with calling Weasel Press our publisher. Anyone have any huge reasons to say no?

Everyone else answered X3 So no need to fear.

Weasel looks good to handle this one, at least to me. (And I gather your relations with FP are a bit sour at the moment, so…) It should work out.

X3 I have no qualms with FP. Just because I don’t agree with someone politically doesn’t make them a horrible person in my eyes. Even if it did, I do my best to keep my personal opinions out of my business opinions.

Reassuring, since I now suspect you don’t agree with me either.

X3 There’s a lot more to life than Death and Taxes, and so much more we DO agree on. Politics is not at all worth losing a friend over :3

Weasel Press just sent out the order to print up those two copies :3 Looking forward to seeing how those look in the print. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Also, I’ve updated the facts as we know them so far. We still need to choose a charity though >.< I’m still waiting on some suggestions. In the meantime, here’s what we have:

Theme: Animals
Sub-theme: Outside observation of animals, in the mind of animals, symbolism of animals*
Rating: GA
Line Count: Unlimited**
Publisher: Weasel Press
Payment: A copy of the book. All profit will be donated to charity.
Charity: Undecided***
Editors: Altivo and myself.****

*Better wording is welcome. The first might allow room for fandom observations, though including fandom-related material is still up for debate. The last should allow for works about sonas, totem animals, spirit animals, etc.

**If you send in a short poem, please send in a few so they can be bundled together. We will be hyper-critical of longer poems since we only have so much room to work with.

***Something international, or at least national, and dealing with either animals or literacy. If need be, will either put it up for a vote or say screw it and have my parents decide :stuck_out_tongue:

****Thus far GeorgeSquares, Lunostophiles, and Televassi have volunteered to help :3

How’s that look?

If we can get the charity squared away, I’d like to open submissions sooner rather than later. The main reason is we have plenty of volunteers now, and poetry is easier for me to judge than full short stories >.> However, I’m going to make it clear that no acceptances will be handed out until all submissions are recieved, so Altivo will have time to look at them, too.

Thoughts?

Here is a list of top-rated charities, FWIW. I’d go with something conservation based: https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities

Wow, there are some really good things here. I’ve even heard of Doctors Without Borders- it’s supposed to be really phenominal how much it helps.

I’ll try to check out the two in literacy and the ones for animals and environment and see what looks good. It’ll be a good project for the day.

Please, if anyone sees anything in particular they would like, just let me know! Totally open for suggestions!

For what it’s worth, I’ve supported the Wildlife Conservation Society in the past, particularly for their work with big cats.

I think I’d go for them, too, just to be as general and international as possible.

I do prefer personal experiences above all else >.>

Alright folks, I’m on the verge of opening the doors to this. I emailed the folks at the Wildlife Conservation Society and still haven’t heard back. Should I just donate the royalties to them as they come in? Should I wait for a reply?

That’s pretty much all I’m waiting on now. That, and to talk possible due dates with Altivo.

Alright guys, I got the samples and they look incredibly professional. One has a great variety of how they are able to handle various formats, while the other is black-out poetry that gives me a lot of confidence Mando’s white on black will be handled well. I’m very comfortable with the idea of Weasel Press handling our collection.

We need to start thinking of names, though. Weasel is going to be all set to start making fliers as soon as we open submissions so he can advertise at local events. He seems about as excited over this project as I am. He needs a title to put on those fliers though. So, any ideas? Because I’m drawing a comlete blank.

Paws for Poetry

Furriverse

(Yes I know, some people hate furry puns, but I think they are in the minority.)

Doggerel, and Catterel Too

Okay, so. Name suggestions!

The one I really want to champion is Civilized Beasts. I think it’s a really great name, not just because I thought it up, hah! I think it gets across the idea of animals + poetry (as poetry is usually thought as something very upstanding, even if we know it’s not), and it allows for a lot of great riffing within different collections if we do more than one.

I’m sure there are others in my head, but that’s the only one that’s really been digging into my brain.