Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Open Call - Poetry - Civilized Beasts Volume 3

Hi guys, it’s that time again! Now that there’s not much left for me to do on Volume 2, we’re open for submissions for Volume 3! There have been a few changes made for the process, so please be sure to check the guidelines so that you’ll have all your ducks in a row. You can always refer to civbeastspoetry.com or look in on Twitter @civbeastspoetry for any updates on either volume. But now, to the Guidelines!

Theme: Animals
Sub-theme: Outside observation of animals, in the mind of animals, symbolism of animals*
Rating: GA
Line Count: Unlimited**
Publisher: Weasel Press
Payment: A copy of the book. All profit will be donated to charity.
Charity: Wildlife Conservation Society.
Editors: Laura Govednik. Other editors TBA.
Simultaneous Submissions and Previous Publications: Case by case. Please let us know where else and when your poem(s) have been submitted and/or published, and if it hasn’t been accepted yet, an ETA of when you’ll know.
Submit To: CivBeastsPoetry@gmail.com
Size 12 Calibri font .txt .doc or .docx If it’s concrete poem or otherwise requires a very specific format, please send as a PDF. Please send all poems individually (one email per poem).
Please Include: The name of the poem in the Subject Line, preferred pen name, and mailing address (for your copy of the volume.). If you are doing anything purposefully different in spelling, punctuation, format, etc for artistic reasons, please be sure to list them in the body of the email. Also include your biography, either in the form of a limerick, haiku, four line stanza, or under 100 words.
Deadline: November 1st, 2017.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email us. Thank you, and good luck!

*The last allows for works about totem animals, spirit animals, the longing for the personification of an animal, etc.

**We will be hyper-critical of longer poems since we only have so much room to work with. They will be read and considered though.

I wanted to note one last thing. It has been brought to my attention that the majority of the poems we accept aren’t about anthropomorphic creatures. When I initially started these collections, I had no idea how many poets outside of the community would be interested in this. We still put as much consideration into anthro-based poems as any other though, and are happy to review any submitted on the subject. Thank you.