Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Open Call - A Sword Master's Tale

Call for Submissions - A Sword Master’s Tale
(tentative title)

A Furry Anthology
Edited by Tarl Hoch
Deadline: November 1st, 2017 with a tentative publication November 2018 (possibly earlier).

Before the gun became the great equalizer, swords ruled. An up close and personal form of combat, it relied on the skill and luck of the warrior wielding the weapon, a kind of elegance not afforded by ranged weapons of any sort. And among these warriors emerged those who mastered the sword, becoming almost as famous as the swords they wielded.

For Armoured Fox’s first furry publication, we would like to announce a call for submissions for anthropomorphic animal stories involving protagonists who are sword masters.

As this is a furry anthology, characters must be anthropomorphic animals. Because we at Armoured Fox consider Kemonomimi (human characters with animal ears and tails) and Mamono (anime monster girl/boy) as furry, stories with these kinds of characters will also be considered. If you are unsure if your story will fit, feel free to ask at armouredfoxpress@gmail.com

The primary character must also be a sword master. And it must be a sword. No knives, maces, lances, polearms, etc. As to what kind of sword, that is up to you. Is the sword named? Or is it mundane? Often swords were as famous, if not more so, than their wielder.

Lastly, as this is an anthology with a singular theme, having stories from many different genres is highly appealing to the editor. Due to the nature of the subject matter for this anthology, any number of genres can be used. From science fiction to fantasy to steampunk, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic, historical fiction, urban fantasy, western, the list goes on. If you are struggling, take a look at the various examples out there, both real and fictional. And please, no lightsabers.

We will NOT accept:
Racism, sexism, or discrimination presented in a positive light.
Pedophilia or sex with characters under the age of 18.
Rape, torture, dubious consent, forced seduction.
If you are in doubt, ASK. Better to ask then to get a straight up rejection!
And remember, this is a non-erotic anthology, so please, no sex on screen.

Examples of famous swordmasters:
http://infomory.com/famous/famous-swo
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

Submission Details

Length: Our preferred length is approximately 3,000 to 12,000 words. We are willing to take longer works, but shorter ones are more likely to be rejected.

Payment: ½ cent per word

How to submit: Send .rtf, .doc, or .docx via email to Tarl Hoch, editor, at armouredfoxpress@gmail.com.

Specifics: Only emails with attachment submissions will be accepted. Standard manuscript formatting is preferred. Please note that this means your name, address, and email contact must appear on the manuscript itself and not simply in your email message. (http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html)

A cover letter. Give a little information about your story, yourself, and why you chose to write for this anthology.

No simultaneous submissions please (Don’t also send your story elsewhere at the same time), though you can submit more than one story to this anthology. If you choose to do the latter, only your best story will be accepted.

Originals stories only please, no reprints.

We purchase exclusive publication rights in print and electronic formats for the period of one year from date of publication for the stories and non-exclusive rights in perpetuity thereafter. Submissions must not contain any copyrighted characters which the author does not hold the copyright on.

This anthology will be self-published by Tarl Hoch through Armoured Fox Press and will be available in electronic and print formats. There is the possibility that a small publisher may pick it up at some point down the road, at which point contracts may need to be renegotiated.

About the editor: Tarl is an erotic and horror author from Alberta, Canada. He has edited two published anthologies entitled ‘Abandoned Places’ and ‘Bleak Horizons’ through FurPlanet. Tarl has been published in a number of anthologies by a number of different small presses and his work can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5759304.Tarl_Voice_Hoch

Oh cool, said the furry named after three famous swordspeople :slight_smile:

Very cool idea! Hope this doesn’t mean a flood of katana stories though. There are other cool swords and techniques besides the katana.

It’s like this was made for you!

Tell me about it. There is a LOT of freedom with this theme, I just hope people use it.

About the primary character required to be a sword master: does the character already have to be a master from the start of the story, or could the story involve the character’s development to end up a master?

I’ll see how my one story holds up. I submitted a story to Species: Foxes. If it is accepted, I’ll write up a new up. If not, I’ll submit it to you. So time will tell.

It can be the character’s development to end up being a sword master. :slight_smile: That is perfectly fine.

Made some progress on mine today. Harking back to gladiatorial times in a society comprising sheep and goat.

Well got word back. New story heading your way @Voice.

Hello! I’m quite interested with this anthology and wanted to ask: would you consider fencers to be sword masters as well.