Furry Writers' Guild Forum

New, Interesting, Fun Writing Panel ideas?

We’ve all been to the “Writing Furry Characters” “Worldbuilding” and the writing 101 panels dozens of times.

What I want to know is, what other fun stuff is out there? What would you like to see? What would be interesting? This thread is a pool of ideas so that when we are proposing panels to con programmers, we have something to look for ideas.

For instance a friend of mine will be running a “Fictional Language and Cartography” panel at FWA.

I want writing panels that don’t take place at like midnight. It’s the whole reason I didn’t go to Furfright; I would have missed anything and everything I wanted to see because they were all way too late at night.

I haven’t been to a lot of cons so I don’t know if this is already a think or not, but dramatic readings involving the audience would be kinda cool. Everyone picks a character and someone narrates. So kind of like a play reading, except with a section of a book.

As far as informational panels, most of what I can think of has been done a thousand times. Something going further into “Furries in the Mainstream” would be cool. We have the thread on the forums talking about it, but expanding it into a panel seems interesting.

Marketing would be a good one, especially with self published books exploding right now.
More genre based panels.
Maybe panels focused on things like ‘how to write an action scene’, ‘how to write dialogue’, and ‘how to create dynamic tension’ and such.

Everything and anything to do with reviewing. I was excited to see that there is going to be a “How to write a review” panel at FC. I hope it’s successful.

If you’re going, you’ll have to let me know how it goes.

“Can you keep your pants on?” - A panel on writing clean literature in a fandom that seems flooded with with erotica

“Roundhouse kick to the muzzle” - How to write an action scene that’s understandable and doesn’t suck

Also something discussing the merits of short stories versus novels versus serialized stories would be something I would find interesting.

I would go to all three of those panels. >.>

I wonder, has anyone ever done anything on selling furry stories to non-furry markets?

I don’t think so, though I think that tends to come up in panels about writing furry. It would be worth having a panel about though.

I’d love to see the clean lit one. Hell I’d say a few words. I’m all for the naughty stuff now and again, but smut is not something I want to read on a daily basis. I like good stories I can take to work, the coffee shop, or the train. There aren’t really any trains in my area, but if there were and I rode them I certainly wouldn’t want to read sex!

From my experience there are a lot of clean lit panels, but the naughtier ones get a FAR higher attendance rate. Unfortunately it’s a trend in the fandom that I wish was different.

I for one want a panel on Marketing and Promotion - how do you get more readers and a larger following in general.

Has anyone done a panel on the business aspect?
Filing taxes, business expenses, etc.

I don’t think there’s enough fandom authors making enough off their writing to qualify for a panel, much less an audience. :stuck_out_tongue:

I went to an excellent panel on that subject a number of years back at Orycon, a science-fiction convention in Portland, Oregon. However, that doesn’t exactly qualify me to give a similar panel, and I suspect that Rechan is right that there really wouldn’t be enough demand for it yet.

I’d like to see a panel on condensing stories without sacrificing literary quality.

It’s probably a problem only a handful of us have, but I’d like to see something like this happen because I have a very hard time writing short stories, as my only real writing experience has been in novel-sized formats.

Last year at Mephit FurMeet we had a panel entitled “Write My Picture, Draw My Story”, which was intended as a fun exercise to get writers and artists together. For the first part of the exercise, the writer and artist each independently produce a short story and a picture. For the second part, they trade, and the writer writes a story to go with the artist’s picture while the artist draws a picture based on the writer’s story. Afterwards, both stories and pictures are presented.

We ran into a few glitches, not least of which is that we had about a dozen writers show up and only about three artists. Nevertheless the idea has merit and I hope it can be refined and made to work better.