Furry Writers' Guild Forum

My Upcoming Book's Synopsis (Critique Requested)

Alright, I’ve made a synopsis for what I’ll be writing for NaNoWriMo, and I’d like to see your guys’ opinions on the thing itself, as well as what elements are good and not so good in what you’ve seen of the story at first glance.

And if you haven’t said “Lame!” in your head already, here’s the synopsis:

Yekuiruski is a low-ranking officer in the Frontier Guard, a force of lawmen charged with the control of subversive and hostile elements in the Alnly-Nutiliv, an untamed land of great mountains, ancient forests, and vast plains. Seven years ago, his life was destroyed when a skirmish between rival families exploded into the Guati War, all but nearly exterminating his entire family. Since then, he’s been using his newfound authority as a Lawman to slowly and silently track down the man responsible.
But he’s got plenty more to worry about that his own vendettas. This is no easy time for him and his unit, as war against Yekuiruski’s homeland is being threatened by an alliance of nations from beyond the mountains. Day after day, the count of reports of foreign skirmishers in the forests and on the mountain passes of the frontier continue to grow. And that’s on top of the continuing rise in aggression from the Arri tribesmen, keeping the once-proud peoples of the far reaches of the kingdom in a state of perpetual fear.
The land is in desperate need of a way to tip the balance back into their favor. That’s when Yekuiruski comes across a set of long-discarded documents that detail the location of a weapon. An ancient weapon. One that could have once been used by the most fearsome and legendary of beings, beings which ravaged the world in the distant past.
He is then whisked away from the forests of the deep frontier into the dark reaches of his own past, towards his own aims and that of his rulers as well, in the lone mountains of Firestone Keep. Towards the same mountains he saw aglow with torchlight as the killers of his people chased him out of his life, and towards the mountains where even the most experienced trailkeepers are humbled by the inhospitably cold, high peaks.
Along the way, he meets Bezoufu, a deserter from a rival state’s army, running from his past, who he takes as captive, and Dakatahi, a lady trailkeeper of the mountains, vying for some semblance of legitimacy in a society that cares not for her kind, who he takes as his guide through the treacherous lands of Firestone Keep. Together in their forced bonds, they begin to understand that not is all as it seems, as the reality behind their aims become more evident. As they continue their ascent, the lines between truth and lies become more blurred with the skies above, and they find themselves with more questions than answers. There’s more to fear on the mountains than the darkness in the hearts of the desperate peoples of the peaks. There is much older evil to be found. Somehow, they have to complete their mission, be they willing or not.

I definitely found it intriguing! I’m a sucker for ambiguous moral compasses.

My one critique would have to be that some of the wording in your synopsis might scare readers away. What I’m referring to mainly is the use of so many invented words in such a short space. Obviously, you need to give your characters name, so that’s one word guaranteed to be in there. However, I do see quite a few that aren’t exactly necessary for a synopsis at least in my opinion. One that sticks out for me is this “Guati War”. At least in the synopsis, I don’t think you really need to give it’s “lore name”. Honestly, it’s pretty well written and the bit of plot mentioned here has managed to interest me. That was my only real issue with it.

Yeah, the use of lore in a synopsis has always been a bit of a gray area for me when it came to this stuff. My aim was to use that “What the frack does that mean” factor as an attention-snagging tool. But I suppose you’re probably right, and is more likely to do the opposite.

And in regards to inverted wording, I never really noticed that I did that so much. It just kind of felt natural to me. Then again, I’m a bit of a strange writer in terms of how I word things. At least by a lot of folks’ standards. I’ll be sure to look out for that when I’m in the process of writing the text itself.

I think it’s a gray area for a lot of writers. I have a Sci-Fi story sitting on the backburner right now that I had a similar issue with, which was my main reason for focusing on my current project rather than it. I think it’s fine to use invented words, as long as you provide the context with them to tell what you’re talking about.

As for the synopsis, I think you can still explain what you want to with terms that are a bit vaguer. Take a look at other stories of a similar theme, I bet a large portion do indeed use invented language, it’s simply that they also explain it in the same breath.

I went ahead and grabbed my copy of The Golden Compass as an example. Hopefully you’ve read it, otherwise this might not be much help.

“Lyra Belacqua is content to run wild among the scholars in Jordan College, her daemon familiar always by her side. But the moment she hears hushed talk of Dust, an extraordinary particle, she’s drawn to the heart of a terrible struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armored bears. And as she hurtles toward the danger in the cold, far North, young Lyra never suspects the shocking truth: her destiny must be fulfilled not in this world, but far beyond.”

The two things that stick with me as a good example of context are “daemon familiar” and “Dust”. In the same sentence, Pullman establishes that daemons are a type of familiar, without actually going into detail about them. Dust is by itself pretty self-explanatory, but to finish it off he also explains it as a particle.

Hopefully you can see what I mean. I think you have something really good, it just needs to be a bit more vague. But that IS just my opinion, so I hope you wait until some other more experienced users comment too! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh, a Quest! That’s a good pick for NaNoWriMo, I think, as it has an obvious linear structure and it’s easy to throw in a new obstacle or side quest if you’re running out of steam.

For your own guidance while you’re writing, that’s a pretty good synopsis, but if you’re thinking of it as a book-jacket blurb it maybe goes into too much detail. You could try the ‘elevator pitch’ - distilling the plot into a single sentence - then expand that to a paragraph and see what you’ve got.

All in all it sounds interesting.
The quest theme as mentioned is a good way to keep yourself writing during the month.
My only crit on the synopsis is that in my experience they detail the beginning, middle and end of the story. (including the twists)
But that’s usually for cover letters when submitting, so may not work the same here.