Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Mentoring Program

Tact is getting lower, and it’s a sad thing. Going to have to keep a close eye on that.

The thought comes to mind of having a…rating system/questionnaire some point along into the mentoring program so that the mentees can rate the mentors…

That could work. I was figuring that we could simply just have discussions about the kinds of things learned and the improvements made, but a questionnaire could work as well.

It’s been a while since news. What’s goinn on with this?

This week I’m going to work on compiling all the information given, then working on compiling tools for the mentors to use. I’m still hoping to start this in early November.

I’ll be sending out the questionnaires for the mentees later this week. The due date will be November 2nd. After that I shall close sign-ups and send out the questionnaires to the mentors for them to pick who they want to work with.

Though it looks like we may need to have a couple triangles.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

Thanks! I shall let you and anyone else know. I think I’m good for the moment, though I would love if we could find some more resources for mentors to reference. I know there’s a lot of good writers in the mentor area, though I’m not sure how much experience they have with teaching others.

Might as well post it here.

All of the mentee questionnaires have been sent out via FA note. The deadline for getting them back will be November 2nd. While I will take them after that, November 2nd is when I’ll open it up for the few mentors we have to take their pick of a mentee (or a couple of them if they choose). Getting this to me later just means there isn’t going to be much of a chance of their being an open mentee spot.

Was there a decent turn out for the program? Seemed to be from the number of comments on the FA journal.

On the mentee side, yes. On the mentor side, not so much.

I just can’t do it. I can’t write from a prompt.

Does this mean you need more people to act as mentors or is there more work needed to be done to ensure mentors give constructive feedback?

There are someone around twice as many mentees as there are mentors, not to mention not every mentor has found someone they want to work with yet. We need more mentors.

I don’t know if this would apply, and I know I haven’t posted as often, but I would love to be part of a Writing group. I mention this at Texas Furry Fiesta, and someone mentioned the mentor program. I don’t know if this would be an exact fit. All I need is some accountability and someone I can talk to who can encourage and push me to write. I also hope that I could do the same for the other individual I am paired up with.

If you guys already know of a writer group composed of novice writers or members who are experienced who don’t mind a Novice writer. Also I have an odd schedule. Wednesday And Thursday I can meet with people after 10:00 PM CST. I want to keep Friday, Saturday and Sunday open and I have all day Monday and Tuesday to meet. Any help would be appreciated.

Warnndog

Do you have a sample of writing you could post? Linked to somewhere else, preferably. Can get a better understanding of what sort of advice to offer that way.
I’d love to help you myself, but I stayed away from being a mentor for a reason. Have far too much I’m working on in and out of writing/editing to be a useful mentor. Hopefully someone else on here would like to help out!

Yes I do, if your interested, you could visit my so furry site, and their are various stories listed there that I have posted. Although my main interest is not obtaining critiques on previous stories I have posted but generating good writing habits and develop more of an insight into my craft. I have been told time and time again by successful authors that a writing group can do that for you and I am very interested in joining one. At least maybe establishing a writing buddy so we can exchange works and hold each other accountable to our goals.

If your interested in still reading something I have written, you can read : https://www.sofurry.com/view/361153. Then again this is quite an old story and I haven’t posted anything up in quite some time. Something I wish to rectify here in the next few months.

Warnndog.

If you want, contact myself, Ocean, Yannarra or Roland and you can join our quasi-writer group online. (we have a few people from both Canada and the USA that we are in contact with on Skype/Twitter that we talk to about writing, beta read/edit material, and what not) We’re of varying skill levels, and I’m sure we wouldn’t mind one more.

Also, you can check out Fangs and Fonts (fangsandfonts.com for our currently crappy website, @fangsandfonts on Twitter) if you want to meet other novice writers who listen to the show.

For what it’s worth, I’d like to throw my hat in as a mentor for anyone who’d like to podcast their work. As this point, that’s where most of my literary experience lies, and I’d be glad to offer pointers for anyone who’s interested.

I’ll be interested in this starting in late fall, when I retire from my current day job. But…

There has to be a certain amount of individual chemistry in place for this to work. While I sometimes write touchy-feely stuff, for example, my forte and nearly all of my sales are action/adventure. Plus, I happen not to be gay. So I think it’d be pretty bad to match me up with an aspiring male-to-male romance writer.

I’d suggest having the mentorees put up a writing sample and let mentors select.