Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Making Magic an Everyday Thing

In my story that I’ve got laid out, I’d like to incorporate elements of magic. However, I don’t necessarily mean that there a handful of wizard-like entities running about and everyone else either doesn’t really give a tinker’s cuss about it or never comes in contact with it. My goal is to make magic kind of an everyday thing.

For story context, the universe I’ve been forging is currently in a technological time frame analogous to the mid-1700s. However, the overlying cultural reference point is comparable to a mixture of that time period in Europe, Early Colony Life in North America, the late middle ages, and Feudal Japan. In short, it’s a relatively anarchic society on a global scale with a handful of large city-states and polities accompanied by massive tracts of wilderness. I’m certain that would affect the advance of technology.

And in terms of magic, I’ve got two types of magic planned out. One is “Bodily Magic”. This is a type of magic that allows someone to manipulate the electrical impulses in their bodies to generate abilities akin to telekenesis, as well as being able to influence the environment. However, only a small portion of the population actually has the ability to use Bodily Magic. That, and whenever someone uses it, it slowly eats away at their body’s functionality. These are the wizards, so to speak.

Then there’s “Natural Magic”, which is found pretty much coming out of anything that lives. The way I’ve envisioned it is akin to batteries in function. You can “bottle it up” and store it for use in a multitude of functions, such as using as a fertilizer, fuel for a lamp, among other things. However, I’m not entirely sure how to define what it can and can’t do. Any advice on that would be great.

But again, my overlying question is that I want to make it seem like a regular thing to have magic involved. But at the same time, I don’t want to make it boring. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

While I’m sort of drawing on my own stuff for this (in the world of Ranea where I’ve set a fair number of stories, magic is essentially an engineering discipline), it sounds like what you’d end up with is a society where magic artifacts are common but magic users are fairly rare. Magic artifacts don’t have to be boring, obviously, but it depends on what effect you’re going for. Are they still relatively hard-to-use and stuff only people over a certain wealth level are going to have access to? If the society is largely feudal, the chances are that that magic would either be reserved for landholders or they would tightly control what their peasants have access to. If there’s a nascent middle class, which could be the case in some of the larger cities, then there are some very interesting dynamics that could be in play. The magic users – of the kind that can handle Natural Magic – themselves may be middle class. And Bodily Magic, assuming it could appear in anyone, could really throw things out of whack.)