Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Lucid Dreamer

This started out as a bit of free writing when I couldn’t get a scene out of my head. I feel like it’s either a whole bag of rambles or a great set-up for an interesting story. The problem with the latter is I have no idea what to do with it especially since I’ve never dj’ed before, so I guess what I’m looking for is either thoughts on where to take this or advice on if it’s too rambly. Thank you.

Please keep in mind this is a dog draft and I’m already aware of most of the grammatical problems and repetitive words.

Possible triggers thus far is drugs and a bit of political commentary (is that a trigger?).
~~~~~*~

Flashing lights that cover the full spectrum of color. Deafening music with a steady rhythm that dictates the beating of your heart. The press of sweat-soaked skin and fur and cloth as bodies dance and writhe and press against you. Top it all off with the random passing of sense-enhancing drugs that turn this epileptic’s nightmare up to eleven. Sometimes, when everything in the world feels so out of control and there doesn’t seem to be a damned thing you can do about it, the best sort of escape is a prison where you can at least fool yourself into believing you’re free. It’s all make believe. Freedom - true freedom, is a crime, and it has been for years. This club though, and others like it, can at least provide some form of illusion of the intangible dream that will never really breach reality. If nothing else, it’s a better escape than suicide.

I wouldn’t say this club was my brain child. Clubs like this had been around since long before I ever came to be. I think people had sensed eons ago what a craptastic world our governments were turning things into. The problem was that the average Joe John and Jane who saw all these problems and wanted to change them didn’t have the power. Protests were laughable, and the few that managed to make an impact soon struck a brick wall in the government manipulation of media sources. Even the simple threat of no longer having use of government-owned satellites shut most news sources up and turned them against the very protests they were once all for.

The people who had the power and could pass laws and make actual changes in how things went down just didn’t give two shits about anything other than lining their pockets. The few times we had leaders wanting to make a difference, an absolute clog would be jammed into our system by debating politicians for no other reason but to keep the other guy looking bad. The very system that was meant to balance itself out so no singular entity could hold all the power was being abused to the utmost to keep anything from being done. Add onto all of that the way the government had managed to make the general public more and more lackadaisical to smother any possible sparks needed to fire up a revolution, and you get the clusterfuck that we live in today. Even when a few of the amendments were essentially struck from the constitution, no one really did more than just complain.

I’m the Dream Spinner, and Lucid Dreamer is my baby. With my partner in crime, we had scratched and saved up enough to buy an old warehouse in the industrial district of town. Affording the equipment to fill it with took a little more… creativity. The bloated egos of big company web developers or ip security or whoever it is that mans the security for online financial interactions made it pretty easy for my partner to reroute a few funds, though not so much as to draw any attention. Between that and knowing the pawn shops to hit that didn’t really know what they were dealing with when it came to music equipment, and we were able to get everything we needed. The speakers were the hardest to find since there was a lot of power we wanted to push through them, and just when I was giving up hope we ran across what we needed by chance and happenstance at an estate sale down the street from my apartment. Funny how life can do that to you sometimes, waiting until you’re about to throw your hands up in the air and declare something a loss cause before shining a light on just what you’d been looking for all that time.

We had to pull a few connections and there was a lot of blood sweat and tears involved, but in three months we had Lucid Dreamer up and running. Yeah, we’re not doing much. You won’t find any tunnels to another country or plans for a revolt. But it’s our little slice of heaven from the hell of the world outside. We dance, we dream, we forget the rest of the world exists. Just for one night, all that matters are the lights, the beat of the music, and the people moving with you. The lights are colorful enough to block out the grey storm clouds outside that never seem to go away- a reminder of the nuclear shitstorm we had gotten into a few decades back. The music is loud enough to feel in your chest, letting you block out the endless stream of brainwashing media that comes from the drones outside. The people around you remind you that you’re not alone; you’re not crazy for seeing the tyranny of this world and just wanting to escape it all. For some, the people they dance with are the only people who are real anymore.

Okay, so the drug thing isn’t exactly something I’m proud to have in my club, but it was either let people pass around what they want when they want, or do it ourselves to give them no real reason to. It’s pretty harmless compared to most of the garbage that’s sold these days, but the atmosphere makes it feel that much stronger. The lights are brighter and that much more colorful, the music is stronger and invokes images of abstract designs in the mind’s eye, and if you take enough, even the unavoidable brush of another body against yours is enough to bring about some insane amounts of pleasure. It’s also a helluva lot more fun if you share it with others instead of take it on your own. Originally I was against the idea, but after seeing some of the crap that got passed around and two deaths on the dance floor, I realized it was the best way. Ever since we implemented it, there haven’t even been any serious injuries beyond a few fractures when a few people got a bit too crazy. Since then, I’ve learned how to watch out for those reactions and when to throw in a slower beat to get people to calm down a bit.

Things had been going great the past year. More and more people had been showing up as word of mouth spread news of Lucid Dreamer. My partner and I were talking about opening up a second club just to take care of all the excess customers.
~~~~~*~

And that’s where I was worried I had the wheels spinning but going nowhere fast x.x

I think you feel like you’re going nowhere, because you don’t really give yourself much to work with. The text you have now is full of information about the club and political beliefs. You haven’t introduced any characters other than the mysterious ‘Dream Spinner’.

To be honest, I thought that even for such a small amount of text, this was quite a heavy read. This is also because I think some of the sentences ran a liiiittle bit too long here and there. Throw in a few more commas and periods and you’ll be fine, I think. Give the reader some pauses.

Also, I would leave this sentence out personally: “If nothing else, it’s a better escape than suicide.” It kind of ruins the flow you had going in the first paragraph.

I think you’d have more success writing the story if you just stick to the information about the club and introduce some characters, before talking about the political system. You can always talk about that later.

So basically: you have sketched out a world, but have no ‘pillars’ (characters) to carry the story. Perhaps you could try this.

XD That was me taking j-random free-writing idea that kept poking and prodding the back of my brain and trying to make an actual something or other with it. I might have a few characters that’ll sit well in there. For now though, with all the anthos on the table, this baby’s going to have to collect a bit more dust until inspiration strikes hard or I clear my plate more.

Still, thanks for the feedback. You definitely gave me some good ideas on where to start if I want to make this into an actual story.