Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Lost Voices Submission - Currently Untitled

Hi all,

I’ve got a piece I’m writing for a submission call for fantasy and speculative fiction that would do well from a set of eyes other than my own to go through. The theme is “lost voices,” and the idea here is using the idea that in the contest between nature and culture, nature has a lost voice, which the women of the town turn to in order to speak a language of their own. The idea was to use the notion that language is a thing that shapes world-view, and since it’s a male centred language, it supports the status quo of the town.

Anyway, this piece isn’t a furry piece, but I would be grateful if you gave it consideration, as it does have anthropomorphic themes running through the entire piece. There are some bits where I’m uncertain as to how the reader responds (those are the bits where the expression is a bit muddled, or there’s a note in brackets) which I’d apprieciate consideration. To all extents, the piece is very much in its final genesis, so don’t worry about your feedback becoming irrelevant because a piece is dropped - it’s all there in terms of plot, it’s just refining the expression. I’d very much appreciate feedback specifically about how the piece works with the idea of the ‘lost voices’ and how the ending worked, as it felt a bit flat to me. There will also be typos - please ignore them at this point.

Thanks in advance.