Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Kismet, first chapter

I thought I’d run this by people here. In a really old draft, the novel started at a point about halfway through this version of the chapter, when Gail finds the shipwreck; the new version starts a bit earlier to hopefully pull you into the world, following a suggestion from a very early reader who’s a much better writer than I am. However, one critique of the draft just before this was “your first chapter is dull and exposition-y.” So! This revision compresses the first scene a bit, while (trying to) give some urgency to Gail’s reasons for going on the search. I don’t want to give up on this chapter because there’s a lot of foreshadowing hidden in here, but if the chapter’s putting people to sleep that’s no good.

Basically, the big question is: would this make you want to go on to read the second chapter?

Revised on August 29th

#

To make it more like its Earth equatorial namesake, they keep the temperature in Kingston around thirty-one degrees during the day cycle. Maybe that’s tolerable if you’re a cisform or a partial, but if you’re a totemic it’s crazy-making hot. Gail hurries along the central greenway between the canal and the business district, dodging an errant lawn fertilizer drone on the way. All the buildings are one- and two-story with steeply slanting roofs of searingly bright colors; the curve of the station’s floor tilts them into a pointillist mosaic.

After the way this morning went Gail wants a high proof drink, and one of Kingston’s saving graces is her third-favorite bar on all of The River. This is the first time she’s walked into Ice & Spirit with the lights high overhead still shining at full daylight, and the abrupt drop in light levels makes everything inside pitch black for a moment.

Robaire’s poured a glass of something for her before she takes a seat. “What, am I enough of a regular for you to know what I like?”

“You’re in here often enough.” Rob’s about forty, completely bald, no transforms. His grin shows very white teeth against very dark skin. “And you look like you could use something strong. Isadore rum, twelve years.”

“I could.” She takes a small sip. A burn, but not much. Sweet, then a little spicy, then a little leathery. “That’s pretty good.”

“I know.” He grins again.

She snorts. “How’s Emma doing?”

“Emma left.” He sighs, tapping on a few panels behind the bar. “She said she wanted more stable hours now that she’s a mother, and she wanted her son to grow up with other totemics. So she’s moved to the Ring to manage a restaurant.”

“Wow.” Emma’s a vixen, a full transform. “So she decided to do a post-birth transform?”

He nods, keeping his expression neutral. Gail’s mom did that with her; she grew up as a totemic, rather than making a choice when she got older. To some people that’s still controversial. She gets the feeling Rob doesn’t approve.

“The Ring’s your home port, isn’t it?” He waves a hand at her. “Even if you dress like a Kingston native.”

She laughs. Her shirt’s colorful, pink and blue patterns dyed on the inside, but compared to Rob’s riotous rainbow-blotch pullover it might as well be as monochrome as her fur. “Just a birthplace. I don’t have a home port.” She likes Kingston–it’s one of the prettier platforms, and if she were the settling kind she could do worse than renting here–but why see just one place when she can see every place?

Two other early drinkers ease in, both cisform, taking seats at the other end of the bar. Rob leaves Gail alone with her rum.

Beedle boop “You have an incoming call.” The chime and the voice sound directly in her left ear. Kismet speaks with a pleasant female contralto voice, a note or two deeper than stock ship navigation systems. Normally just hearing Kis calms her, but she doesn’t want to be calm yet. This is going to be Dan again, with something else she can do while she’s still on the platform. Hey, it’ll be quick and you’ll only need to buy a couple parts and you know I’ll pay you back as soon as I get back on my feet.

Well, Dan, so far you owe her twenty four thousand three hundred and forty-seven and counting, and she doesn’t have to pull that number up on her HUD to verify it because it went up by another three thousand twenty-eight last night and it’s still burned in her memory. So’s another number: the payment she got just this morning from the salvage yard–undervaluing her last haul by ninety percent. Smith and Sons always cheaps out, but this is criminal. She’s already asked for a re-evaluation, but they’ll drag it out for months. Her budget is running on fumes as it is. So what’s she doing on Kingston? Helping a deadbeat. Because she’s an idiot.

Kis, tell Dan he can fuck himself with–she sighs. “Kis, tell Dan I can’t–”

“The call is over an encrypted line and there is no identification data.”

Her brow furrows. “Okay, connect it.”

Another beep sounds, and a hesitant male voice speaks a second later. “Gail Simmons?”

“Yeah. Who’s this?”

“My name’s Randall Corbett. You probably don’t remember me, but we grew up together in New Coyoacan.”

Her ears lift. “No, yeah, I remember you.” She does, a skinny cisform kid she’d been in first stage school with. They weren’t great friends but they got along; his mother volunteered a lot with hers at the River Totemic Equality Association’s office. That’s not why she remembers him, though. She remembers him because they’d both lost their mothers on the same day.

“Great. Uh. I know we haven’t spoken in…it must be two decades. But I found your name when I was looking for a salvage operator. I pilot a yacht charter, see, and I think we might have found a wreck this morning.”

“You think?” She rubs the back of her ear, spinning on her stool to face away from the bar. There’s a news show on the video display closest to her. “You didn’t stop?”

“I couldn’t.” He sounds regretful. “The client wouldn’t give us permission.”

If he’s based on Panorica or one of the other half-dozen platforms contracting with their federation, he could lose his license for that. Or worse. But a lot of the private yachts berth at places like Carmona or Rothbard, where maritime law is more maritime if-it’s-not-too-inconvenient. And that he’s calling on an encrypted line, something Kismet can’t keep a record of, suggests his client is pretty paranoid. “Who else have you called?”

“Just you. I’m pretty sure the ship’s completely dead. The crew either got out already or didn’t make it.”

“Jesus, Randall.” She runs a hand through her hair. Could she lose her license for following up on this? “What kind of ship is it?”

“It looked like it might have been a Horizon class freighter.”

“A Horizon went missing and nobody noticed? When was this?”

“Yesterday. Maybe fifteen hours ago. I’ll send you the telemetry data?”

She sighs. This is insane. But if the ship exists, and she gets there first, and she can find the owners, and it doesn’t get tied up by fighting judiciaries, it wouldn’t just cover her lost payment, it’d cover it six or seven times over. It’d turn her worst month in two years into her best month in a decade. If if if if. “Go ahead.”

“Okay.” There’s a brief pause; Kis chimes a couple times in acknowledgement of a secondary data stream. “So you’re still involved with what your mother was doing, aren’t you? You and Sky.”

“Huh? No. Sky’s with the Ring Judicial Cooperative, not out leading protests. And I’ve been a salvor for over a decade. How about you?”

“No.” His response is lightning quick and unexpectedly sharp. “Uh. Sorry. Kind of a touchy subject.”

Maybe you shouldn’t have brought it up. “I get it.”

“I’d chat more, but I’m still on assignment. We have to be ready to ship out in a half-hour.”

“Understood. I’ll let you go. Maybe we can catch up sometime.”

“Maybe. Good luck.” Another beedle boop signals the disconnect.

She shakes her head, then takes another sip of the rum. “Kis, how long will it take to get to the wreck?” The woman at the end of the bar is giving her sidelong glances. What, she’s never seen someone with cochlea and larynx implants?

“It will take eight hours twenty minutes to get to the search area and three to six hours to search probable flight paths.”

Gail groans and hunches over the drink, ears lowered.

When she finishes, Rob’s still busy with the other customers. She throws him a wave. The cisform couple turns when he waves back, and the guy says, “Rats aren’t a health problem in here, are they?”

Gail tenses, but she can tell from his expression he’s trying to be funny. “I’m pretty clean, I promise.” That gets a laugh. She smiles stiffly and heads out.

Just like on her way to the bar, most of the people she passes on the greenway are cisform. She sees one totemic couple, wolf and fox; when she waves, the fox waves back. The wolf smiles and tightens his arm around his husband’s waist, and then gives her a double take, like he’s wondering if he should recognize her. She picks up her pace before he asks.

It’s another minute to the docking area, and less than a minute to get through the exit gates. As she approaches, the gangway doors slide open. Kismet’s inner and outer doors do the same, each sealing before the next unlocks.

The entranceway’s at the front of the cabin, right behind the cockpit, only a few steps to swing herself into her seat and strap up the harness. An array of displays fades in across the nearly blank wall she’s facing, followed by a forward view of space–and space station–outside. “Okay, Kis, let’s see if this wreck even exists.” The engines kick into life with a deep bass whine, and Gail reaches for the throttle, one of the few physical controls the ship possesses.

“Casting off,” the ship announces. As they fall away from the station, gravity falls away, too. After all these years the sensation still makes her stomach flutter.

She calls up her planned course as an overlay in front of her, adjusts the yaw, and eases the throttle forward before handing the controls off to the ship itself. Half the control panels around her fade, and Kismet expands the display projection. The walls disappear around Gail’s seat, as if she’s floating in space. She turns to watch the station recede into the distance, until it catches the reflection of the distant sun just so, blinding her momentarily with a flash of perfect brilliant light.

#

“What’s a seven-letter word for ‘remove impurities?’”

The ship startles Gail by responding. “Are you thinking out loud or would you like a list of possible matches?”

“You know I’m usually just thinking out loud when I say things like that.”

“Your voice was four decibels louder than your average volume when you are talking to yourself.”

As co-pilot and research assistant Kismet does better than a human, but sometimes she’s an awkward best friend. She sighs, letting go of the crossword and studying the last leg of the search course, sipping her coffee. It takes them close–well, just over a megameter–from Alexandria’s last reported coordinates. For as long as she’s been a pilot she’s heard rumors about that long-abandoned platform. Taken over by pirates. Or militant inner system unification nuts. Radical totemics, radical purists. Just the ghosts of its many dead. Without anything running the attitude jets, though, God knows where the arcology’s remains might be by now. Wait. She grabs the smartpaper before it drifts out of reach and fills in the answer: clarify.

She’s gotten through another five words when the ship speaks again, starting to decelerate. “A possible target has been acquired.”

“What? Where?” Gail looks around the starfield; Kismet flashes the red circle she’s added to the view.

She pushes her coffee into a locking drink holder, raises a hand and motions toward her, zooming the display in far enough to lose a little optical resolution. It’s clearly a ship, bigger than her tug-slash-houseboat. A lot bigger. In a relative sense, it floats motionless, adrift like the comets and asteroids and occasional minor planet across The River. One of those asteroids–one much smaller than Kismet–floats nearby.

The red circle should be labeled with the other craft’s name and registry. Gail should be able to call up records on its ownership, history, crew. It should be damned near impossible for an accident to disable to a ship’s ID beacon, to stop it from broadcasting a sliver of standard data all the governments across the solar system had agreed on–even the ones that didn’t agree to call themselves governments.

But it isn’t labeled. It’s just a big blank circle.

“No transmission from the ID beacon? When’s the last transmission of anything from it on record?”

“No records of transmissions can be connected to the target.”

Gail frowns. “Get closer.” She leans forward as her spaceship glides ahead at a careful pace.

Parts of the holographic star field fade back into instrumentation panels, and information displays start popping up around the unknown ship. Holy hell, it is Horizon class. But not the cargo variant. It’s an SC71, a passenger ship. What? How? If a liner didn’t make port, the news would be everywhere. She’d have been beaten here by a half-dozen rescue ships.

They get close enough for her to do a visual ID, but there’s no registration marks. Someone’s gone to a lot of trouble to make this ship hard to identify. She’s run across that before with smugglers. The fur on the back of Gail’s neck prickles. “Any energy signatures you can pick up?”

“No. The target’s temperature matches ambient space. The craft’s hull has been breached.”

As Kismet glides slowly along one side of the Horizon, the bow of the craft comes into view. There’s a hole, over a meter across, punched into the hull.

“Any other ships out here right now?”

“Two, both on standard courses. Unless they deviate they will not come closer to this point than one thousand three hundred fifty-eight kilometers.”

She unstraps and pushes herself out of the cockpit, then pulls herself down–relatively speaking–to the airlock. “Synchronize velocity with our ghost ship here and I’ll go check it out. Let me know if either of those ships change trajectories. This whole thing is weirdly…weird.”

“Yes, Gail.”

Pressure suits tailored to totemics cost more, but she’s always been able to fit in one designed for cisforms–her muzzle is short and her tail’s thin enough to just slide down along one leg, and keeping her ears flat for short periods doesn’t hurt too much.

She gives the nearby asteroid a quick scan as she floats out. The results appear as text floating over it for a moment: ninety-eight percent ammonia ice. No surprise. The dusting of fine debris from the ship suggests a collision, but she doesn’t buy it. Navigating through asteroids is a long-solved problem and space rocks aren’t known for making sudden unexpected moves. And a collision at cruising speed with a proto-comet wouldn’t have left a hull with a hole in it, it’d have left a debris cloud.

She attaches her cable line to the hook outside Kismet’s airlock and ratchets up her visual sensitivity before she kicks off, unspooling the tether behind her. The hole in the bow is big enough to go through, but it’d risk cutting her tether, or worse, her suit, so she aims for the entrance hatch.

When a ship’s stranded without power there has to be a manual way for a rescue team to get in. On this class of ship it’s meant to be a two-person job; fortunately, she can fake that in brief bursts. In the closed environment of the suit she hears her own biomods engage with a whine as she pulls down on the lever and back on the huge oval hatch. Latching her tether to a hook by the airlock, she floats on in, switching on her headlamp before pulling the outer door shut and releasing the inner one.

Rapid decompression means–among other things–that everything inside the ship that can fit through the hole and isn’t otherwise restrained blew out at close to sonic speed. For a few meters past the hole the cabin looks like the site of a bomb blast: mangled brackets on walls, shreds of carpet, exposed conduit. Okay, the glancing blow theory’s out; that would be a rip, a slash, not a single hole. Maybe it was a bomb blast. She swallows. The subject can stop coming up today, thanks.

The rest of the cabin remains eerily intact. The seat arrangement–center aisle, two seats to either side, rows alternating facing, sixty-four seats total–cinches the SC71 identification she made. But there aren’t any bodies buckled into seats; this definitely wasn’t a passenger run.

Moving to the cabin’s center, she gives the whole scene a once-over to record the images, then kicks off toward the ship’s fore. The cockpit door’s unlocked, but jammed shut. It takes her a good ten seconds to gingerly work it open, pull herself in, and smack right into one of the two floating bodies.

She jerks back, breath catching. Neither wears an identifying uniform. Of course. Both cisform. They look incongruously serene, in the way victims of slow oxygen starvation often do. The inner hatch had held, but SC71s only have one air circulation system. Once the cabin pressure had been lost, the vents in here sucked the air out.

It doesn’t look like anyone’s been in here since the collision. She focuses on the faces of the two corpses and triggers a scan. After a couple seconds ID panels come up in her eye display. Finally, something! Both have pilot licenses on file with multiple ports. Neither show current employment and no record trail runs between them and any ship like this.

Her groan echoes in the suit helmet. Who the hell does she take this salvage claim to? “If I had any sense I’d just leave this ship and pretend I was never here,” she mutters aloud.

“I have not been running dark, Gail.”

She sighs. “Just wishful thinking, Kis. Somebody should get these bodies home, and I guess it’s gonna be me. Sometimes it’s a choice between the easy thing and the right thing, you know?”

“I will remember that.”

Okay. Either she’s the first on the scene and the cabin didn’t have much in it to start with, or the wreck was cleaned out silently before she got here. Only one last place to look. Backing down into the cabin, she swings back to the airlock and performs the exit dance. Reconnecting her tether, she pull herself via handhold along the hull toward the cargo hold.

Predictably, it’s empty. It’s the hole next to it that she hadn’t predicted. The escape pod’s gone.

She looks back toward the ship’s bow, toward the hole, and tries to piece the story together in her head. An unregistered ship with an unknown–but probably very small–number of passengers either struck a glancing blow against a comet, or more likely had a saboteur who staged things to look that way. The saboteur survived explosive decompression and vacuum exposure, then left in the escape pod.

“Kismet,” she says aloud. “We’re closer to Molinar than Kingston now, right?”

“Yes.”

“Let them know we’re coming in with this damn thing, and fire the tow cables off to me.”

The tow clamps are big metal blocks, each one nearly Gail’s size, lined with magnets on one side and attitude thrusters on the other. She consults the ship’s specs as she places them: they have to be on the strongest parts of the Horizon’s structure, where pulling on the cables not only moves the ship in the right direction but won’t let it twist around farther than the jets can compensate for. Then she has to clamp the deceleration engine on the ship’s stern. All told, it’s nearly two hours of work before everything’s set and Kismet can reel her in.

The work’s only about halfway through, though, when the ship sounds a soft alert chime over the suit radio and speaks again. “The port operator at Molinar indicates a representative of Keces Industries wishes to meet with you about the wreck when it is towed back.”

Gail is working on the deceleration engine. “Why?”

“The cooperation request does not list a specific reason.”

Mara’s Wounds. A cooperation request has no legal binding–no judiciary would back an attempt to enforce it, so she could just tell them to go blow themselves. But no judiciary would compel a company to do business with someone they find “uncooperative,” either, and Keces is one of those old corporate beasts with their tentacles everywhere. They run the port on Molinar and a half-dozen other platforms. They own shops and repair facilities and for all she knows the Magnolia Cafe chain. Also, they’re heavily involved with transforms. Every totemic knows their name, and probably two-thirds owe Keces in part or whole for the biotech that makes them what they are.

Back at the bar, when she was talking to Randall, there was something about Keces on the news. Shit. What was it? An explosion at one of their labs? This ship couldn’t be connected, could it? That’s a hell of a leap, but she’s been a salvor for nearly two decades and never had a request like this. “Fine,” she sighs. “Accept.”

Once she gets back inside Kismet she peels off the suit, pushing herself back into the sofa and breathing deeply, taking in the scents of the air circulation’s cleaner–something only a totemic with a sensitive nose would pick up–and of coffee, a faint odor that’s become part of the ship after all this time. “Lock in the tow cables.”

“Locked.”

“Okay.” Her acceleration rate is reduced by two-thirds when towing and deceleration is even worse; the anemic little engine clamped onto the wreck is all that keeps it from merrily smashing into Kismet if the tug’s speed is ever a fraction slower. So she’s not going to get in until mid-morning. She rubs her face, then snags the crossword from where it’s floating. “Onward.”

I like the scene-setting but I think it maybe goes on a little too long, with slightly too much detail. I’m not the kind of reader who demands action all the time - I love quiet, reflective scenes - but I think the character has to earn my empathy before I’ll sit back and watch her go about her daily business, so I’d dig this scene more if it came along later.

smirk cisforms flash canid totemics

I found this really hard to parse; because it has unfamiliar words and a slightly odd structure, it read like a random list the first time I tried.

I haven’t been all that happy with that phrase either, but I haven’t quite figured out what to do with it yet. :slight_smile:

Are there specific things you might cut, or for that matter, add? I had a note to myself somewhere about having more of a “save the cat” opening scene, with Gail either doing something or experiencing something that might give her more of an immediate empathy kick, but never actually came up with one. I’m not sure at this point whether it’s a good idea, although it’s possible the bar scene could be modified to be that scene, or the scene immediately outside of the walk back to her ship. The walk in particular doesn’t feel like it’s pulling much of its own weight. (The fertilizer spraying drones are significant, but that’s about it.)

I’m kind of in Husky’s boat. It feels like the description is a bit much. But the answer to your big question is, I’m curious about the world and what’s going to happen next. That said, I don’t know if it’s a good opening chapter. I think it’s good overall, but I don’t know if it sets the tone for a horror or action piece. It feels like it could go either way.

Action – the wreck is just a creepy opening. :slight_smile: One of the critiques from someone who’s read the whole shebang is that a lot of Gail’s character development occurs in the second half and that some of it needs to be pulled into the first part. I suspect that’s of a piece with a comment from Kyell that “the story was enjoyable, but after Sky arrived it became really enjoyable” – and Sky, Gail’s adopted sister, shows up about 40% of the way in. I’m still chewing over how to address some of that.

I’m leaning toward opening with an earlier scene than this rather than cutting it, showing Gail actually getting the tip about the wreck, and also giving her some specific reason to be on Kingston – possibly the still-mythical “Save the Cat” scene. (Shorthand for “a quick way to establish empathy with the character.”) If I follow Kyell’s suggestion to have the tip be from someone Gail knows (a character named Randall Corbett, who at this point doesn’t show up until Chapter 4 or 5), that’s a great way to bring in more of her background fast…although it’ll have ripple effects for scenes throughout the first half that right now are written with the assumption that Chapter 4 is the first time Gail’s heard from Randall in years and that the tip was anonymous. Oy. :stuck_out_tongue:

A revised opening chapter. This does some of what I suggested I might do in the last reply (showing Gail getting the tip and giving her a reason to be on Kingston), and also gets some more bits of her background in quickly. It’s still not “start things off with a huge explosion,” but I’m hoping it’s brisk enough to make you want to go on to the next chapter.

Hiya,

I didn’t read the comments from others yet (I wanted to avoid commenting on comments)

I came away with three proof-reading level points.

[ul][li]“Emma’s a full transform…” that made me stop and think “Quadroped?”[/li]

[li]Arcology? I had to look up that portmanteau.[/li]

[li]“Pressure suits tailored to totemics cost more, but she’s always been able to fit in one designed for cisforms” Maybe that BUT should be something like “luckily.” I might say it that way aloud, but in print, it seems off.[/li][/ul]

Very nice, I think. Going into space alone is risky and I might be tempted to add the why of that during the “telephone” conversation with Randal. Regular readers might know, must know, already, but it’s always good to chart these relationships as they do tend to change over time and distance. For me, at least.

Also, I liked that she was looking at the ship like’s a crime scene rather than a found wallet full of money, which I what I would expect from a loner salvage operator. Is that her personality or experience?

Yes, I would want to read more. ;D

I forgot about that! I know that she dodged it, but… She promises the mundane at the bar that she’s clean… and now I wonder now if she should really smelled clean to the human. And if the fertilizer-spraying drones are important, maybe you can play that out more – depending on the why there. Fertilizer might not even smell all that bad to a certain type of nose… again, depending on the Why of its importance, an embarrassing odor issue could help Gail look at herself (I’m not 100% sure of her form… not a regular reader), at her world, at the relationships of humans, and as well as strengthen Chekov’s Drone.

Plus, I am a big fan of shower scenes. Just a thought.

Thanks. I know some of the language is a bit odd – “arcology” is a real thing but outside of 1970s science fiction you don’t come across it too often, and “transform” and “cisform” are unique, at least in the way I’m using them. There’s a tough balance in the first chapter because I want to avoid “as you know Bob” syndrome; there’s a lot of background I’m hoping people will pick up from context. (For instance, if you’ve picked up “cisform” is “unmodified humans” and Gail fits in a spacesuit for an unmodified human, that tells you her form is pretty close to an unmodified human.) But it’s a lot to juggle at times.

The fertilizer drones had their own paragraph in the original version of the draft; I cut it down to just a passing mention, because it’s probably not critical readers remember that she saw them in the first chapter when she doesn’t see them again until much, much later – maybe it’ll work as more of an easter egg. I moved a particular phrase (“blinding her momentarily with a flash of perfect brilliant light”) to the end of the scene for the same reason – it gets repeated near the story’s end and I’m the kind of nerd who likes that sort of callback, even if I’ll be lucky if more than one reader notices. :slight_smile:

There is also a shower scene of sorts in the final act, although it is not particularly smexy. The “I’m clean” was a bit of a wry joke playing off cisform prejudice against totemics; I don’t think I want to dwell on it much, as I’m trying more to set up an undercurrent of subtle microaggressions that mostly don’t get commented on.

Yes, I would read the second chapter. It could be a little more shorter

Really enjoyed the story in here, partly because I’m a complete sucker for SF, and this had that ‘big world, lots of room for adventure’ feel that I particularly enjoy. Found the present tense a bit jarring, but I have a strong tense for past. Would definitely be interested in reading more of it. Looks like I might have read a version that came after several edits, because it seemed to have things that other comments said it lacked. I’m very guilty here of having waited a few days from reading to responding, so it has gotten a bit vague. My apologies.

I’m glad you liked it! It’s gone through a couple edits, and the current iteration is different from the one here, although only slightly: the conversation with Randall happens before Gail gets to the bar, and the first paragraph is now:

The call that shatters Gail’s life comes disguised as a gift from her past. It starts the way all her calls have for the last fourteen years: a [i]beedle boop[/i] and her ship’s voice, a pleasant female contralto, both sounding directly in her left ear. “You have an incoming call.”

The first sentence has been kind of a bitch to write, but I’m relatively happy with this one, as it does a bit more tone-setting. You don’t know why Randall’s call does that, but it foreshadows that this is a Really Big Deal, and tempers a bit of the tone.

I originally started this in past tense and it didn’t seem to feel right until I rewrote it in present tense. It’s a little odd to me at times, but my excuse is the sense of immediacy and being able to get right into Gail’s head at some points.

Interesting. Though it strikes me a little weird to be present-tense, but with knowledge of future, as though looking back from the past (re first sentence).

Regardless, I would definitely read the rest of it.

Something that occurred to me earlier: present tense makes it feel a bit like a screenplay, rather than account of something which already happened.