Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Jumping Between Narrators and Timeframes - Does it Work?

Greetings!

After my NaNo project flopped due to a hard drive going kaput, I’m now faced with trying to start over mostly from scratch, with only a few exposition bits surviving the crash. So, in my quest to be relatively unique in my story structure, I’m rebranding the material I have with a sort of non-linear story progression. However, I figured I’d pass it by you chaps first to make sure I wasn’t doing anything ill-advised.

So here’s the general setup:

I’m going with a “the beginning is the end” approach, with the first scenes being set at present moment in the story, but then immediately being followed with chapters set in different timeframes leading up to current events from as long as three months to as recent as five hours before present. With each jump in timeframe, I’m going to be jumping between three first-person narrators as well. This back-and-forth jumping will be interrupted by a three-chapter sequence six days before current events that act as the “climax” of the story, alternating only between the three first-person narrators. I’m also planning on an epilogue of sorts that adds a fourth narrator in the form of the antagonist set around a year after the “current events” of the story.

I was also thinking that maybe I could do a sort of third-person narration in the chapters set in the present to even out the viewpoints in the story, but I’m thinking that might be a bit much to work with for the reader.

So what do you guys think? Could this setup work? Is it too much to follow? What advice would you have for this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Rufus

Wow, just reading that before my morning coffee is enough to make my head spin o.o

It sounds incredibly intriguing, personally. I know Out of Position does some jumping around the first few chapters to better contrast just how far one of the characters has come and to give more of a viewpoint from the second character’s perspective upon reflecting on this. It also switches narratives between the two protagonists throughout, allowing us to get into their heads and emotions.

On a more mainstream level, Game of Thrones switches perspectives every chapter, and it works amazingly well to better understand a character’s motives and why they do what they do and how they grow over time. It also does its own time jumping, though not nearly as much as what you have planned. The major difference is that it sticks to third person perspective though.

I remember reading In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. It’s first person perspective solely on one protagonist’s pov, but it does switch between present and past very smoothly, for the most part. I remember there were times when the present-day chapter would act like a hook to keep me reading to the next, and other times when it threw me right out of the story, and times when I was tempted to skip it to get back into the telling of the past xp

I also recall a few Piers Anthony books switching between presense tense future and past tense past to make it clear how catastrophic any other path in the story would have been, despite how heartbreaking the path taken by the protagonist wound up being (if that makes sense). However, he still kept it third person and only made the jump between two chapters, each one placed separately at specific points in the book.

Sorry for the rambles on this. I’m just trying to remember past experiences I’ve had reading books that might be relatable to your idea. Anyway, there are a few points I can share from my own experiences as a reader:

Please be certain to lable each chapter with the perspective, date, and (where applicable) time. This seems like an obvious, but I’ve seen published books skate through without it, leaving most readers utterly confused.

Please make sure each protagonist has a very clear, individual voice. Though the lables at the beginning of the chapters are useful, you don’t want your reader to have to keep flipping back to them to remember whose head they’re in. It’s a wonderful thing to be able to easily recall simply based on the ‘feel’ of the narration, if that makes sense.

Try to make each time different maybe? This can be a tricky one, yet small things like body structure and the inclusion/exclusion of scars and injuries can do much to make it more clear where i the timeline each chapter takes place. This will take a delicate balance though so as to avoid flooding each chapter with too much description.

I’m not entirely sure how well switching between third person present and first person past will work. If you can work it carefully and well, it’ll do much to dissassociate the present from the past, which is not a bad thing, and draw a thick enough line between the two to keep a reader interested in what happens next in that particular time frame while they immerse themselves in the next chapter. However, if not handled carefully, it can absolutely destroy a story. It’ll also be dependant on how often you plan on jumping between present and past.

Ultimately though I think the real question you have to ask yourself is will you be using this just as a cheap gimmick, or will this method actually add something significant to the story that would otherwise be lost through traditional storytelling ways?

All in all I’d be interested in reading it just to see how you work out the mechanics and how they might contribute to the story. What genre is the story set in, if you don’t mind my asking?

Sorry for all the rambles- I hope they make sense. Just as much, I hope you’re able to get something useful from all of this and I’m not just stating obvious points >.<

Wow! Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it. Don’t worry, ramblings are useful.

Definitely. Though I haven’t really worked too much with First Person thus far in my writing, I’m hoping that this project will make me way more proficient with it. It’ll be interesting for me and the reader alike, no doubt.

I was planning on using different locales for the most part between scenes, and when there is a recurring location, the changes will be evident going forward. It shouldn’t be too difficult to follow, as the story more-or-less will be moving forward, just at two different sets of points and ranges. I’m considering writing most of the first draft in a linear format, and then changing it around to fit a non-linear progression after most of the story is down on paper.

The overall idea behind swapping between a single-character (1st Person) and a multi-character (3rd Person) viewpoint is because I want to convey an idea of interconnectedness of events, as well as recognizing the characters as individuals with their own viewpoints and agendas as opposed to existing as supporting roles for the protagonist. I figured that swapping back to 3rd Person in the present would help give a sense of culmination, so to speak, especially towards the latter parts of the story.

Through most of the story, I’m going to try to give the reader a sense of curiosity fed by a mild state of confusion. While the early sections of the book will likely have more immediate questions raised in the present to be answered in the past, I’m going to focus more on having broader questions raised over the course of the sections in the past that will be answered in the present, which will reveal most of the broader context of the story to the reader. I’ve been working with sub-plots that supersede the original “supposed” plot over the past couple years, and I think my method is ready to try out. Hopefully, it’ll work this time around. Haha.

It’s set in a universe much like our own, if not slightly more advanced in some fields, populated with (sort-of) anthropomorphic characters.

The overall story centers around a group of small-time information thieves (“Shadow Broker” types, if that makes sense) who reunite after a few years of laying low when one of their own, Wiley Rotyod, becomes the target of a purge in his home country of West Betavos when he discovers a cache of ledgers and documents linking the ruling nobility of the region to covert arms dealing to prolong a major war elsewhere on the continent and keep favor with one of the factions present. When Wiley escapes his attempted killing, he discovers that all his personal information has been erased, and is now the target of the seemingly bought-out wbRRH (An FBI/Homeland Security Analogue to this universe). In response, he decides to bring the gang back together to capture and hold the information for ransom, or face the consequences of the war they sponsored coming much closer to home for them. However, as the portions set in the present seem to indicate, something went wrong along the way…

Adding the dramatic ellipsis because that’s all I’ve got right now in terms of an outline. XD

If there’s anything else you think I should know, don’t hesitate to speak up. It’s very useful!

o.o

I’m officially, honestly, without a doubt looking forward to this story now. I don’t suppose you’ll have need of beta readers? >.>

It looks like you put a whole lot of thought and consideration into this. You have a reason and rhyme for the mechanics beyond the ‘oo shiney!’ effect, and the plot looks like it’ll be very useful in it.

I’m not ashamed to say I’m salivating over how this might turn out X3 If I can think of anything else, I’ll let you know. For now, it seems like you really have your stuff together!

I’m really hoping this goes well too. I’ll make you first to know when I’ve got a fair hunk of manuscript to mill over. :smiley:

Wonderful, thank you! I’ll certainly be looking forward to it :smiley: