Furry Writers' Guild Forum

In need of a writer for a new visual novel project

As some of you may have heard, I’m working with Bane (www.furaffinity.net/user/bane2253) on a visual novel project called Blackgate. The project is funded through Patreon. One of his goals was that if he hit $3250.00 per-demo update, he would begin another project with an entirely new story. He hit that goal, and that project is underway.

You can read his journal here: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6617099/

In shorter terms, he’s looking for a writer to, well, write the story for this new visual novel. The writer will have pretty much 100% creative freedom on the project. There are no restrictions on content (though I may try to talk him away from some super-extreme fetish things) and it doesn’t even have to be furry.

To apply, email a synopsis of your story to blackgateprojectc[at]gmail[dot]com

Of course, this project will be edited by AnthroAquatic.

If you have any specific questions, I’ll attempt to answer them. However, I would recommend emailing the bulk of your questions to Bane, as it is his project.

On a personal note, I’d love to work with someone from the guild. You guys are the published writers of the fandom, so I feel you guys would be the ones to knock this out of the park.

Concerning payment: I don’t want to get too into the details publicly, but your payment will be a percentage of the Patreon amount. To get an idea with the current project, a new demo is released every two weeks, so the Patreon gets funded every two weeks. The more popular the project gets, the more you get paid.
Also know that I was able to quit one of my jobs because of Blackgate.

Hope to see you guys apply!

Nice, this sounds awesome! Best of luck with the project - I’ll leave it to the more experienced members of the guild to apply for this one. I look forward to the finished result!

On a side note, Patreon/crowdfunding appears to become increasingly useful.

I’m not even close to the experience or time management required for a project like this X3 It would be something incredible though if one of our own got in on it. Best of luck to all who apply!

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve put my hat in the ring.

Ooo best of luck to you!

I have written up a full proposal that I intend to e-mail to Mr. Bane sometime soon! I’m feeling proud of it. The proposed idea I have is from an old idea for a novella I had, but if things with the proposal work out in my favor…well…I’ll be one SUPER EXCITED Mourning Dove. ^v^ I can only hope that it isn’t considered to “out there”. >v>

Wish me luck, everybody! ^v^

Hey, just so you’re aware with Patreon-- do NOT trust the number before the money is collected. Some people will pledge and and back out. Jasonafex and Kabier on furaffinity had this issue with their patreon. People would pledge, collect whatever rewards were available (as they were posted for all backers ON the patreon page) and then cancel their pledge. That’s why they have an option to give rewards only to verified backers (people who have been billed already), iirc. I forget exactly what the option is called on there, but there’s a way to set it up so back rewards are only accessible by people who have paid.

He’s been using Patreon for 17 updates (34 weeks) now so he knows about this pretty well. The rewards for smaller tiers are negligible, and the larger tiers were done and confirmed long before I started with the project.

But for those that may join this project and be new, thanks for the heads up!

My Grey is showing… I have no idea what we mean here as a Visual Novel.

Is that different than a graphic novel?
Maybe more like a page of text and a page of art?

What I assume he was referring to here as a “visual novel” is a computer game with a lot of pictures and text, and at various points along the way the player is asked to make decisions that factor into what happens, sometimes right away, other times much later in the story. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel for more information. Many visual novels are also “dating sims” a game in which the protagonist encounters several potential love interests and the responses at the decision points determine which he or she ends up with.

Hey - I know it’s been a long while since a post was made in this thread. So many congratulations to Bahumat for Laika Dosha - it’s going to be a really amazing game!

I was just wondering, does anyone know if Bane will be looking for a writer for another visual novel project sometime in the future? I’ve been developing a story for a while which I think might suit the medium. Thanks!

If Blackgate gets to $5,000 per release (he’s around $4,100 now), he’ll be starting a new project. He’s also made a full-on company out of these visual novels (HTBH Games), so even if Blackgate doesn’t get that high, as soon as one of the two new projects is done, he’ll want to start more.

I would like to take a crack at this but I have no experience with visual novels, so I can’t imagine how riting for them would differ.

Thanks, Sean! I will probably test the waters at some point, next time he’s looking.

Yeah, I wonder. Is it comparable to writing the script for a graphic novel? Movie? Video game? Somewhere in between? Not that I have experience with any of those mediums yet either, but I would love to learn! I’ve always wanted to take a stab at writing scripts for more visual forms of storytelling. But I know very little about what that process is like or how it differs.

I suspect the best way to get a feel for how you write such a thing would be to download Ren’Py, a “visual novel engine” that’s extremely popular (and is, I believe, what Laika Dosha is using).

http://www.renpy.org

I haven’t looked at it much, but I suspect it’s (very broadly) similar to Twine, which I have used. Twine’s got a heavier focus on text, but the notion of “story you advance through by selecting choices that take you along different branches” is common to both.

http://twinery.org

All of the HTBH projects are using this engine, so it would definitely be good to make yourself familiar with it if you plan to work on these projects.

Also, go ahead and actually play a few projects. The scripts are all easily transferable from the game files to word docs, so you can get an idea of what it’ll look like in the end.

Well, now that I’m neck deep in the guts of it, I can give you some experience on working with it:

It’s basically screenplay writing for the stage, like a theatrical play. Write the action the viewer will see, write the dialogue, and remember that your exposition is going to need to be executed visually as well as textually. That means that you limit yourself, at times, to what your visual budget can do and what your artists+art sources can deliver for you on time, and on budget.

Structure planning is everything. The only reason I can tackle a story as crazy complex as Laika Dosha is that the ‘helix’ model of structure makes sure that after every plot point affected by player choice, another one comes along that is outside of player control. It sets up a pattern of action-response that remains dynamic, but doesn’t force me to set up things like forked story models and paths.

Blackgate, structurally, more or less splits at the root and goes 5-7 different ways, almost never joining up again as far as I can tell. It’s a bold move, but I think I’d tear my own hair out trying to emulate it. :slight_smile:

As near as I can tell, Echo appears to be going the ‘Helix’ route as well, but I haven’t delved into their script files much.

On the actual writing itself:

Short lines of dialogue are preferred. Two sentences max per line, because you’re going to end up wall-of-texting a screen otherwise.

For both helix and fork models, be prepared to iterate the same conversation a LOT. If you’re crazy like me, that means the same conversation about the status of a space station, 49 times. 49. Different. Times. And they’re all a little different. Some are more different than others. My trick is to try to put one little nugget of story that’s unique to that iteration in each one. So this iteration might reveal that the protagonist is lonely, this other iteration might reveal that this protagonist screwed up and is trying to cover for it, etc.

Do your best to avoid monologuing for the sake of plot. Keep the characters pattering back and forth. If you simply must stuff some exposition in, make a scene of that in and of itself; lots of visual aids, and if it happens mid-conversation, have a character call another character out for taking so long to respond to them.

This might seem counter-intuitive, but: Don’t telegraph the results of a choice. Ask the player to make choices in the game that don’t have clear outcomes, not at first. Maybe not for a long time. A good example of this is in Blackgate, when you’re asked to choose a music station. There’s no explanation that later in the game that choice of music will have surprising consequences for something so seemingly inconsequential. In Laika Dosha, the initial choice tree asks the player right off the bat to establish their emotional and intellectual relationship with the idea of smelling a dead dog in space. What isn’t immediately clear is that choice has TREMENDOUS consequences down the road, and defines not only plot elements, but genre elements as well. People make choices without knowing their outcomes all the time. They guess and hope for the best.

Everything is foreshadowing, but the player doesn’t need to know that.

On the technical side of the equation:

1. Get comfortable with a powerful text editor for programming, such as Notepad++ or Editra. Personally I prefer Notepad++, because the macro tools are drop-dead easy, but it requires some configuration and study to work effectively.

2. Learn how to do simple macros and execute them, because that’s the difference between an “Oh shit, I didn’t format my dialogue right!” problem being a six hours of work solution, or six minutes of work with the right macro.

3. Ren’Py is super modular, and easy to use, but unfortunately not very well documented. Your best bet is to go into the script files of other games, and grab code, and adapt it for your use. It will tell you much more than the documentation will. Ren’Py script codes is very human-readable. Not quite QBasic, but close.

4. Ren’Py doesn’t care if you have one monolithic script file or a million little ones. Consequently, I recommend a million little ones, or at least discrete bites of the story broken up into chapters and subchapters in the scripts. It will make your bug hunting and overall work flow much, much easier.

5. If you run your project from the Ren’Py maker itself, you can make changes on the fly to the program scripts, save them, and then hit Shift+R in the Ren’Py maker to reload the game to the point you’re at. GREAT for fixing typos, visual direction problems, etc.

6. Narrator “Text goes here. It will show up without these quotation marks.”

7. CharacterName ““Text goes here. You’ll only see regular quotation marks despite the backslashes in this line.””

8. CharacterName ““Never use the % sign in your dialogue without a backslash. That will break the game.””

9. CharacterName ““If you absolutely MUST use the percentile sign, append it and all special symbols with a backslash. I’m 98% sure this will keep your game from crashing.””

10. CharacterName ““This goes for quotes within quotes, too. If you had just written the word “percent”, you wouldn’t have had to hit that backslash key at all.””

11. Overall I found that the learning curve isn’t terribly steep if you’re willing to dive into the scripts of other games and steal shamelessly, because it’s all pretty bog-standard code in the guts of most games.

12. IF/AND/ELSE/OR Boolean structure is frankly something you should definitely rip off from other games, because trying to reinvent that wheel is going to make you cry.

13. Indentations matter for Python code. They matter a lot. And you can’t usually use Tab to indent. Instead, it’s usually four strikes of the spacebar, per indentation level. Depending on your IF/AND/ELSE/OR Boolean structures, you might find yourself nested in 5-8 indentations deep. Sorry.

14. in a Ren’Py line means commentary. COMMENT TO EXPLAIN YOUR CODE. COMMENT EVERYWHERE SO YOU KNOW WHAT EVERYTHING DOES AT ALL TIMES. I guarantee you if you forget once, that’ll be the time you have to go bugfixing and can’t find why its broken.

On the art direction:

1. Artists are expensive, time is money, make sure you have a VERY clear idea what you want visually. My recommendation is spend the money on dynamic character poses. Characters are what the player will be seeing most of the time. For example, Molly from Laika Dosha has around 35 variants, of different postures, facings, expressions, etc.

2. Public Domain is your friend. Pixabay is your friend. Photoshop art media filters overtop of Public Domain imagery are your friend.

3. Creative Commons is also your friend, but it is a very annoying friend that requires VERY CAREFUL AND TEDIOUS RECORDKEEPING. If you’re going to respect a creative commons commercial license, you need to, NEED TO document everything. Exactly who the artist is/was, exactly where you downloaded it from, your sourcing, and modifications, and who you do and do not have to credit within the game itself for the imagery. Overall, licensing commercial art is actually less work administratively than creative commons is.

4. If licensing artwork from a commercial art repository, you still have to document that too. Make absolutely sure you license that art in a way that permits both commercial, promotional, and merchandising uses. Be prepared for automated image scraper programs to come and send you automated scary-letters of “We’ll sue you for using our images blah blah blah” and you have to send back your proof that you paid for the images.

5. Sound and music work the same way. You can license music and sound, and free stuff and public domain stuff is out there, as is creative commons. It all has to be documented. Make sure you do that. Even video! Check out this guy’s webserial fiction trailer, put together from some CC video and audio stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRuYe7-yzE

Finally:

Be sharp on your dialogue. Visual Novels are very dialogue-heavy. Have a good ear for writing the way people talk, and sticking to it. Avoid ‘novel voice’ for dialogue. It will really show up. Get in the habit of reading your dialogue out loud to yourself as you write it. If it sounds corny, or just doesn’t flow, change it, adjust it. Talk like people talk, write like people talk.

Good luck, have fun.

Just as a quick tech note, any good programming editor will let you configure the tab key for “soft tabs,” which insert the appropriate number of spaces to go to the next tab stop rather than an actual tab character. In Notepad++, I believe the place to do this is Settings > Preferences > Language Menu/Tab Settings, and the “replace with spaces” checkbox with “tab size: 4”.

[move]Jaw drops[/move]

I’m still mastering .doc files.

Oddly enough, I think I could handle variations on the choose your own novel (I always hated how the universe changed illogically with most choices and swore I would one day do better). And I used to write help files… I could probably do it with the effort of an old man learning how Twitter works… but my wife just called me Michael Caine for even considering it.