Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Hello!

I just discovered this place existed and thought it might be relevant to what I have written! You see, I have written a science-fiction novel featuring various genetically-engineered ‘uplifted’ animal people, set in a future where species lines lead to battle lines, and all the futuristic weapons of war that comes with that. Think Zootopia meets Battletech (although I wrote it before Zootopia was a thing, admittedly).

My novel Foxhunt! is available on Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Foxhunt-Rich-Hanes/dp/0578026058/
You can find my other assorted writings set in the same universe, which I call Wildstar (and I had it before that other thing dag-nabbit screw those guys) at www.writing.com/authors/L1011Widebody . Yes that is also my YouTube handle for those of you interested in various retro gaming Let’s Plays, but that is not the subject here!

You can read the first chapter of Foxhunt! on my writing.com page. I hope you like it! I have been working on other stories set in the same universe, at different points in time. I am just not sure where I should find an audience for my potential novels?

Hi Rich!

I can’t wait to check out your stuff. Welcome aboard!

– Just checked out the intro to Foxhunt! Looking good. I wish you the best with it!

Welcome to the forums!

Just had a quick read, and this looks a lot of fun! Welcome!

Greets!

Hello!

Hi and welcome! :slight_smile:

Well gosh, thank you all for your nice comments. I am always somewhat self-conscious of my work because I write it to appeal to a regular, ‘mainstream’ audience. I don’t really like to consider it as furry writing, I think of it as legit science fiction… not to denigrate the furry fanbase and all. But I took a logical and realistic approach to the anthropomorphizing of my various animal people. I would like to think that my writing should appeal to the science-fiction audience first and foremost. But I would like to tap into some of the furry audience, that they would be already receptive to anthro creatures. In my writing I try to make them seem natural and realistic. I don’t point out that they’re furries all the time but by design they exhibit their animal qualities. To make them feel like they are a real race, a real species, all the things you have to consider…

Yep. That’s what many of us do. Been the tradition since the days of H.G. Wells. =;)

Hi, completely random person I have never heard of!* Welcome to the FWG.

*this may not technically be true

Welcome! Can’t wait to talk to you.

Welcome! I’m in a similar boat with my writing, trying to appeal to literary fiction fans as well as furries. Always worth remembering that furries are generally also mainstream sci-fi fans, or mainstream lit fic, or so on. Up to you how you want to balance tropes based on that fact.

Heyo Rich, welcome to the forums! Hope you’re able to find the critique you’re looking for on here :3

Welcome to the forums!