Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Hands to keyboard -- can't wait or have to make yourself?

I’ve heard a couple of writers in my writing group lately express confusion about writers who have to make themselves write. Apparently, there are writers who just can’t wait to have time to write and really enjoy writing whenever they do it.

For me, I have to make myself write. I mean, I want to… I am the one who’s choosing to make myself do it, after all. And, once I get into the flow, it can be really great. But, generally, when it comes to getting started, I just don’t want to. I’ll put it off and do other things. Like writing this post.

How do other people feel about writing? Is it something that you just can’t wait to do? Or do you have a more tortured relationship with writing?

Depends heavily on my mood.

Sometimes I can’t wait, and I come rushing home with a great idea; other days I have to make myself.

Me at work: I CAN’T WAIT TO GET HOME AND WRITE!!
Me at home: Oh. I seem to have spent my entire evening messing around on the internet.

So true.

I am seriously thinking of unplugging my router when I get home from work. It’s so easy to fall in the procrastination trap.

Sing it sister.

That about sums it up for me too >.<

The only thing I can reply to this with, other than what’s been said, is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mktCdixReBA

But in general, the hardest thing for me to do is start the story. Once I’ve got the ball rolling, sitting down to write isn’t too hard after that. Just starting a new project takes the most effort to force myself to do it.

This used to be for me too. Still is. Yet with my current project, it’s like I’m hitting a brick wall in continuing it x.x

It’s the other way round for me: I can bash away for hours in the first flush of enthusiasm, then it turns into a bit of a grind. I get as much written as possible while the mood is on me, so the thought of wasting all that effort makes me knuckle down and finish.

That’s pretty much what I run into.

That would be me…

I also plan on writing on my days off and then spend it sleeping.

Sleeping… Yes… I miss sleeping… But I guess that making progress on the novel every night is good too.

Same x.x Wasted an entire Sunday sleeping. Granted, I felt like crap, and might have barely avoided getting sick, but still! Hard not to feel bad over a wasted day >.<

For me it’s a function of day job. I work as a writer there too, and I’ve learned I can get about 1000-1500 good words done a day. Day job gets first pick and usually asks for about 2000, so my writing seeps in on days my work isn’t vauuming up my will to write.

Make myself. Every sentence feels like crawling across a field of rocks. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love to write, and most often look forward to it. However, there are parts of novels that are just plain hard work with little immediate positive feedback. Sometimes these stretch on for days. I have to force myself to sit and write these with gritted teeth, because they’re essential to the fun parts. Even worse I have to grit my teeth twice as hard, because they also have to be every bit as well-crafted as the fun parts.

It’s the most amazing thing, however. I generally think these stretches stink, but the readers often comment on them, citing the “this job sucks!” parts as their favorites. Go figure…

I’d have to say make myself. When I’m in a good position to write I have to push to get going, but once I do I’ll plug at it for way longer than I intended. I’ll also get anxiety at the act of writing I have to ignore or I’ll lock up.