Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Furry Drabbles!

I don’t know if anyone besides myself has ever experimented with the drabble form, but I’ve found the form helpful in my own writing, so I thought I’d issue a drabble chalenge.

A drabble (for those who don’t know) is a story written in exactly 100 words. Hyphenated words count as a single word, and titles don’t count against the 100 word total.

I find that working on drabbles has really helped my writing at large in making precise word choices as well as looking into ways I can imply a larger story in a few words. Plus, it’s really a lot of fun to write a complete story in just a few hours!

(And for those interested in seeing their works in print, there is a market for stories of this length…)

I may look into this. Whenever I try to write a short story, it ends up becoming novella length out of nowhere.

Drabbles are a lot of fun, and challenging to boot.

For something interesting, check out Dead Mech on Smashwords. It’s a novel done with drabbles. Each character’s pov is done in a drabble, so it makes for some quick reading.

I’m going to cheat with something I’ve already written which turned out at 100 words. I used this as a business card:

Totally agree with all your points; I’m a precise and finicky editor, so this short form works well for me.