Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Free Editing, three to ten slots, submissions open.

Hi everyone,
I’m a freelance editor, and I’m always looking for extra practice to improve. I’m interested in connecting with the writers here and helping them polish their works, so when the call for submissions comes along, they can get their works past phase one of acquisition. I will be doing basic copyediting here and offering comments where there are points of confusion. This will hopefully be useful to you.

This is an open call for short-story submissions. There are going to be five to ten slots available depending on how many submissions I receive. Please be aware that I cannot accept everyone’s submissions.

Rules:

[ol][li]I will only accept documents that are compatible with Microsoft Word 2013, my editing program.[/li]
[li]Up to 20,000 words only (5,000 words or less preferable), this is a short story submission call. If you have a novel you want edited, contact me directly and we can discuss it. If I find your story compelling enough, I might pick it up.[/li]
[li]If your work has some sort of fetish in it, please notate which one(s) are present.[/li]
[li]Any genre is welcomed here.[/li][/ol]

Tips that will help you get through my elimination process, but these are more of tips than requirements:

[ol][li]Your protagonist should be named and show up on page 1 unless there is a compelling reasons otherwise.[/li]
[li]The central conflict should at least be hinted at by the end of the first 250 words (first page).[/li]
[li]If your document is formatted Times New Roman, 12-point font, double spaced, and key information in the header (Word Count, Last name [or pseudonym], and page number). [/li]
[li]Your story should try to hit the ground running. In a short story this means that you don’t dilly dally.[/li]
[li]Stories live and die by their tension, and you should be trying to consistently build it.[/li]
[li]Please be consistent with your tenses (this is a big eliminator everywhere).[/li]
[li]You do not need a cover sheet for me.[/li][/ol]

Submissions will close February 12th, 2017. Until then I will be categorizing works into the REJECTED and TENTATIVE categories, and after that date the submissions in the TENTATIVE category will be reviewed, placed in a tier system, and placed into the ACCEPTED or REJECTED categories based on their ranks. I will attempt to edit the short stories in as timely of a manner as I have starting around February 14th, 2017.

Please E-mail your works to Daniel.Terry.Editor@gmail.com (My editorial e-mail), and I will attempt to respond when I have received your work.
I will not distribute your work in any fashion.
Please post here to inform me that you have submitted a work to my e-mail. You can submit multiple stories, but I will be prioritizing different authors over accepting multiple stories from one author. That doesn’t mean that it is impossible for more than one of your stories to be accepted.

To the admins/mods, let me know if there is a problem here.

Hope to start receiving submissions soon,
Fen.

You make a very generous offer. Wish I had something to send you right now :slight_smile:

Thank you to those who submitted works for editing.
I am currently reading through the submissions and deciding which ones to edit.

Regardless of it you were accepted or declined, I’ll be sending you an e-mail by Friday explaining why you were rejected if you were.

Thank you.