Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Civilized Beasts - Poetry for Charity

Now Looking For Interior Artists!
Because this is a non-for-profit, we’re looking for artists willing to donate some time, energy, and skill to create pictures of our wonderful civilized friends. It will also be a great opportunity to show off your work to even more people!

Not sure what animal to draw? Feel free to scroll down and take a look at the list of animals that were written about!

Specs for both cover and interior artwork is listed below.

Please email us at civ.beasts@gmail.com with Artist in the subject line if interested. Thank you!

Deadline for artwork is December 1st!

Interior Art

• Up to 5.5in x 8.5in with 1/8in. border for possible bleed-through.
  • 400DPI minimum, 600DPI preferred.
  • JPG or PNG
  • Black and white only please.
  • 1mb file size minimum.

Theme: Animals
Sub-theme: Outside observation of animals, in the mind of animals, symbolism of animals*
Rating: GA
Line Count: Unlimited**
Publisher: Weasel Press
Payment: A copy of the book. All profit will be donated to charity.
Charity: Wildlife Conservation Society.
Editors: Altivo and myself. GeorgeSquares, Lunostophiles, and Televassi have volunteered to help.
Submit To: Civ.Beasts@gmail.com Size 12 Courier font .pdf .doc .docx Please include the name of the poem(s) in the Subject line. If you are doing anything purposefully different in spelling, punctuation, format, etc for artistic reasons, please be sure to list them in the body of the email.
Deadline: October 1st, 2015.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email us. Thank you, and good luck!

*The first includes fandom observations, though including fandom-related material is still up for debate. The last allows for works about sonas, totem animals, spirit animals, etc. This is assuming we get enough of each variety to warrant the break-up.

**If you send in a short poem, please send in a few so they can be bundled together. We will be hyper-critical of longer poems since we only have so much room to work with.

I’ve added this submission call to the Weasel Press site
http://www.weaselpress.com/#!submission-calls/cgru

If you guys need anything just let me know and I’ll try to assist. :slight_smile:

Deadline?

Trying to poke at Weasel via DM about it X3.

Edit: Now know when we want to send everything in. Just gotta figure out how much time to give ourselves. Thinking two weeks should be enough with five folks working on it?

Hey! So do we have a dedicated deadline? I’m working on other writing so I want to make sure I don’t miss it, and I really set out time to work on something!

Finally have a deadline up :3

With less than a month to go, we have 39 submissions from 14 different poets! Be sure to get yours in while you can!

Hmm, I’ll have to get to it! I’m excited ^^

Alright, now that Fragments has reached its deadline, it’s time to shift focus onto poetry! Be sure to get your poetry in before October 1st!

How are submissions going, Munch? :slight_smile:

EDIT: EEEEE you just made my day by informing me that you accepted five of my poems! I hoped maybe you’d accept one and I am so honored and amazed and grateful that you will feature five! Thank you so very much for including them! I am so happy. ;D

Alright, have some exciting updates for CB!

• We now have a cover artist secured! Darkomi is teaming up with her fiancè to get the highest quality done in the shortest time. Concept art has already been picked through and I really think you guys will like it :smiley:

• We’re still looking for more interior artwork though, so please feel free to send in your own or poke at any artist friends who might be interested!

• The official numbers, for those who might be interested:

• 112 poems were sent in by 41 poets.
    • 55 poems were accepted from 31 poets.
    • Species include: Wolves, Coyotes, Painted Dogs, Deer, Horses, Bulls, Weasels, Foxes, Mice, Tigers, Jaguars, Cats, Dogs, Frogs, Turtles and Tortoises, Otters, Bears, Crows and birds of various kinds, Bees, Butterflies, and even a Hermit Crab -collapses- We did our best to keep it varied x3
    • The singular species that appears the most is the Fox with 5 poems they’re mentioned or used in.
    • If grouped, it’s a tie between various Canids and various Avids at 10 poems they’re mentioned or used in.
  • Formatting on our side has been finished. Double checking all the information today and will be sending it to the amazing Weasel Press either tonight or tomorrow morning.

• There are plans in the works between Weasel and me to possibly make this an annual thing.

That should be everything! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here, pm me, or shoot us an email at civ.beasts@gmail.com Thank you.

I’m happy and excited to announce that Civilized Beasts is now up for preorder! There are plans for there to be a digital copy available, and all contributor copies will be going out between January and February!

We’re now up on Amazon and SmashWords! Kindle is coming soon!

Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/go9q9mr
SmashWords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/599562

Also, I have a contest going on in Twitter for two free copies of Civilizied Beasts! Be sure to check out my account and see what it’s all about!

Hey guys, not making a new thread for this since it’s not an official call, but yes, I have every intention of going on with Civilized Beasts: 2017 Edition. I’m hoping for another December release. I was wondering if folks would like as much time as they can get between the official call for poems and the deadline proper, or if it would be better to wait a couple months. Thanks for any information! Link for your copy of Civilized Beasts: 2016 Edition can be found in my signature if you’re interested!

If there’s a definite theme, it would be helpful to have a, perhaps unofficial, heads up before the submission window opens so we can get our thinking caps on :slight_smile:

I was honestly leaning toward going with the same theme as last year, since I’ve had poets thank me for keeping it so open so their poems could find a home. I was debating on whether or not to better emphasize the anthro aspect though. On the one hand, it might encourage more folks from the fandom to contribute, and make it a bit more fandom oriented. On the other, we had a LOT of amazing poets who aren’t of the community contribute, and I wouldn’t want to alienate them by being too heavy handed on the anthro aspect. Totally open for suggestions and opinions though.

Cool, sounds good Munch! If you’re open for volunteers again, I’m happy to help!

There were a few folks who were interested in helping out last year, but I had decided to cap it at what we had, so I’m giving them the opportunity this year :3 However, I’ll be more than happy to keep you on my speed dial in case we need the extra help from someone who’s already worked on it! Thanks Tele <3

So I’m making it unofficially official. Civilized Beasts: 2017 Edition will be opening for submissions on May 1st. Deadline will be October 1st. For now, see the first post of this thread for details. I’ll post an official thread on the day of once I talk with my publisher and editors.