Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Calls for submissions

Also, F&SF is always open to submissions for their regular issues; the deadline there applies to a special guest-edited issue.

Here’s one from the American Kennel Club! Not actually anthro (they state ‘no talking dogs’), but on the off-chance somebody has a nice dog story waiting in the wings:

http://classic.akc.org/pubs/fictioncontest/2013/fiction_contest_2013.html

More importantly, it’s an issue open to online submissions. Usually you have to actually print out your manuscript and send it through snail mail with stamps and envelopes and everything to submit to F&SF. I stopped doing that when Analog went digital.

So if we have a Sci Fi story for them, we could send it at anytime?

Yes, though as Ryffnah mentioned above, submissions for the regular issues have to be sent through the mail.

Their regular submission guidelines are here:
http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm

(Fair warning, it’s a very tough market.)

Rabbit Valley has opened three mature anthologies, all focusing on anthro on furry, separated by orientation: http://www.rabbitvalley.com/sales/services.html

I don’t know why they haven’t posted anything but this email was sent out a few weeks ago.

Greetings!

On behalf of the 2014 Rainfurrest Charity Anthology staff, we would like to invite you to submit a story for one or both of the Anthologies we intend to publish for the upcoming convention. This year, Rainfurrest has decided to publish two separate anthologies. The first will be our standard G to PG-13, as well as a new, Adult-Oriented Anthology, with a more mature audience in mind. It is the hope of the Anthology Staff that this will broaden the scope of participation, and expand the readership of the anthology, while at the same time raising more money for charity.

We at Rainfurrest hope you will consider helping us all make next year’s anthologies the best yet! Please let us know if you are interested in either of our Anthologies this year, and if so, which one you would like to participate in (Or both, if you are feeling ambitious!). A breakdown of the rules and guidelines follows.

Thank you for your time and participation, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Anthology Rules:

Theme: Cyberpunk

Some of the best examples of this genre are William Gibson’s Neuromancer, or Neal R. Stephenson’s Snow Crash, and many of the works of Philip K. Dick. Movie-wise, movies like Blade Runner (Based off of Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep), Johnny Mnemonic (Which is based in William Gibson’s Short Story), and Strange Days all have cyberpunk elements to them. Many examples exist in Anime, the most well known in the form of Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost In the Shell, and Akira.

Another great source of reference materials are the Tabletop RPGs Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun.

Original Anthology Content Rating: G to PG

Adult Anthology Content Rating: R to Soft X

Word Count: 6,000-12,000 words

Submission Guidelines:

-Please, do not put your submission in the body of your email!
-All items must be submitted in a .doc or docx format in 12 Point Font, and double-spaced for easy reading.
-Please do not submit any work you have already published or placed on a website such as Fur Affinity, or Fanfiction.net.
-If you have an Artist set to do an illustration with your work, please advise in your submission email with their contact information, and let us know if you have their permission.
-All submissions will be considered donated, and all profits from the Anthology will be going to The Clouded Leopard Project.

Deadline Schedule:

-Initial Submissions Deadline: March 30th, 2014

We will attempt to respond by May 15th, 2014 with the stories chosen for the anthology, and begin to look for artists to work with the respective stories.

-Editted Submissions Deadline: June 15th, 2014

This date is the final date we would like stories to be submitted with all final editting and formatting to take to our staff. From there, we will be submitting our anthology to FurPlanet for print to be ready by the convention. This date may be extended based on the needs of the authors and our staff.

Submissions Should Be Sent To:
anthology@rainfurrest.com

Any questions about the anthology should be sent to
anthology@rainfurrest.com

Duotrope’s Digest is a website that lists pretty much every market in the world. Paying, non-paying, anthology. Many of the magazines look for off-the-beaten-path type of stuff. I think furry would fall into that and some of the newer offbeat magazines would be interested.

It’s a monthly subscription of $6 dollars–it’s been well worth it to me. I’ve found a couple of anthologies to publish my stuff (non-furry, but paid :smiley: )

People can subscribe if they want–but since I already have a subscription I’ll also keep an eye out for any good looking markets and post them here :slight_smile:

Here’s one for an Anthology call Torn Pages that has a really intriguing theme: http://www.weirdbard.com/p/page-one.html

I use it, well worth the cost.

I used to use Duotrope, but with money being very tight these days I switched to The Submission Grinder, which has all the same features I use (and then some), and is free. :slight_smile:

And yeah, I’ve sold a fair amount of anthro-themed stuff to sf/f and even general publications. Writing furry fiction doesn’t necessarily limit anyone to furry markets (though those can be good too).

OOoooooo Thank you for the tip! I’ll check them out.

Storm Moon Press (small press specializing in QUILTBAG erotica) has some open anthologies with shapeshifter themes. Their full list of current calls for submissions:

http://www.stormmoonpress.com/anthologies.aspx

This press has two anthologies about to open, one about dragons, the other about crows/ravens/etc.

http://worldweaverpress.com/submissions/calls-for-anthologies/

Thought this might be of interest, a charity anthology about soldiers and their canine companions:

http://www.wolfsingerpubs.com/FrontLinesGuidelines.html

There’s not much information around it at the moment as details are still… hazy, but I’m looking at launching a new furry publisher/retailer over the coming months.

I’m looking for two things:
1: quality new writing that I can publish in ebook format with the potential to go into print.
2: already published work that I can act as an Australian retailer for, primarily to deal at local conventions/events.

Hit me up with a message if you could be interested, as the more folks who are willing to jump on board, the quicker I can launch this thing.

Ta muchly.

Not much detail and an end of April deadline for Tales of the Neon Phoenix and Anthroview:

That journal entry’s dated 2012, though – I don’t know if the first issues went to print or not, but I don’t think he’s doing any more. At least there’s no sign of that from skimming through his recent journal entries.

I’m such a derp! I followed the link from some artwork that had just been posted to SoFurry, so I assumed it was current. Now I remember the call for subs going out a year or so ago…

Yeah, I seem to remember letting people know it was open, and then like a month or two later coming back and saying nope, it’s already gone. :slight_smile:

Call for submissions: Will of the Alpha 2

After the success of the first Will of the Alpha, FurPlanet is interested in putting out a new volume.

Theme: Stories with a strong BDSM element. While this involves bondage, domination and submission, discipline and sadomasochism, other kinks that fall into this realm are humiliation, objectification, feminization, orgasm control/denial and pony/puppy play. While the BDSM component is important, do not forget about the story - give us characters, conflict and plot, not just an elaborate sex scene.

It may help for you to review the first Will of the Alpha to get an idea of what stories have already been told, so you don’t inadvertently write a story too similar to one previously printed or cover well-trodden ground.

Non-acceptable kinks: Non-consent (rape, strong coercion or forced slavery), excessive violence or mutilation, bestiality, characters under 18, copywrite characters or bathroom play.

Characters must be anthropomorphic. Humans or other entities are allowed, but one of the main characters needs to be an animal-person in your story to be considered.

Submission Deadline: August 31st. The tentative publication date is FC 2015.

Wordcount: 10,000 word max.

Payment: $.005 per word.

Reprints: While reprints will be accepted, original stories will receive precedence in the selection process over something previously printed or posted online.

No simultaneous submissions.

Rights: Print and electronic rights for 1 year.

How to submit: Times New Roman, size 12 font, 1" margins, with name and title in the document. Send as a .doc or rtf file. Email the file to tabooanthology@gmail.com with Name_Title in the subject line. A cover letter in the body of your email with a word count, synopsis of the story, and where your prior work can be found would be appreciated.