Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Button Bright renaming help

So in Baum’s books Button Bright’s full name (or, at least, all we’re given) is Saladin Paracelsus de Lambertine Evagne von Smith

I was thinking that the character (when I write him) will be Muslim or at least descended thereof, so I wanted his name to be more culturally appropriate. I’m running it through here and hope anyone familiar with Muslim traditions will be able to help.

To start with Saladin comes from

Ṣalāh (Salah) means prayer. It seems somewhat uncommon as a name, but that’s okay.

al-Din/ad-Din means religion/faith/creed. This is not uncommon on its own but I’ve yet to see anyone but the original named Salah al/ad-Din which was combined into Saladin in English, so I’m not sure if there’s a cultural taboo against using it or if Google just won’t show anyone else named that.

I’m not sure if anyone would name their kid either Saladin or Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn, though.

Paracelsus means “equal to or greater than Celsus”. Celsus means “tall”. Rifaat seems to mean “altitude, height, high” and Akbar means ‘greater’.

So the name thus far would be Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Rifaat Akbar.

de Lambertine
De meaning “off/from” and Lambertine meaning “bright land”.

As far as I can tell “min al’ard almushriqa” would be “from the bright land” so I’ve now got Ṣalāḥ ad/al-Dīn Rifaat Akbar min Al’ard Almushriqa. Assuming that actually makes sense.

Evagne - this is difficult to find the meaning for. I’m guessing it’s related to Evania which means “peaceful” or “goodness” so I’m going with Rahshan which means “bright, peaceful” leading to Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Rifaat Akbar min Al’ard Almushriqa Rahshan. I hope.

von Smith

von being either a nobiliary particle or meaning “of” or “from” Smith being Smith.

al suitably fits being both a nobiliary particle and related to place of origin

Hadaad means “smith”.

Thus the final name would be Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Rifaat Akbar min Al’ard Almushriqa Rahshan Al-Hadaad if I’ve not completely mangled it (which I fear I have).

Running it through Google Translate gives Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Rifaat Akbar min Al Ard Al Mushriqa Rahshan Al-Haddad (صلاح الدين رفعت أكبر من الأرض المشرقة رحشان الحداد).

Help would be greatly appreciated.