Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Books available for review

I’ll run it by Teiran. I’m open to it within reason, but we haven’t really gotten much out of review exposure thus far.

Also, since there is a “terms/restrictions” field in the original form, you’d be able to limit the giveaway to a certain number of copies total, FWG members only instead of general public, or whatever else might be of use.

This should go in Recommended Reading rather than Books Available for Review, but since I’ve just mentioned it here … My review of “Theta” has just been published on Dogpatch Press.

I’m reading Theta at the moment, so I’ll steer clear for now in case of spoilers :slight_smile:

I have just requested this to review it for Dogpatch Press. If anyone wants to request a copy to review it for Claw & Quill, Flayrah, or anyplace else, contact the author.

Hmmm, I can’t link the author’s address to this. I’ll send it separately.

Evil Has Arrived in Parrkluck…and It’s Too Late to Cry Fowl!

Outskirts Press Releases The WarBirds of Parrkluck—a Fantasy Novel by Kenneth J. Bishop

Orlando, FL – Kenneth J. Bishop announces the release of his second novel, The WarBirds of Parrkluck, published by Outskirts Press. The magical world of Parrkluck is the home to a race of gladiator-type hybrid bird-humans in this epic new fantasy.

On Parrkluck, the Tollers are the most powerful clan in the Black Forest, with only the PhatBirds as rivals. King Toller rules over the largest military of Raven descendants. He and his beautiful daughter Meeori reside in the Black Castle fortress, and for hundreds of years, they’ve guarded Parrkluck’s most priceless heirloom: the Ibock Crystals.

Long ago, the Vultures were given refuge amongst the powerful Toller clan. But now they’ve fled in the wee hours of the morning, taking with them the Ibock Crystals. The recovery of the priceless heirloom becomes Parrkluck’s top priority, and word spreads quickly of the theft. Several species of the forest’s fowl inhabitants set out to apprehend the thieves and recover the precious gems, with the PhatBirds,
Splitpipers, Tweeters, and Yellowchirps amongst the militia.

But not everyone has Parkkluck’s best interests in mind in their quest for the crystals. Nor do they predict the arrival of the diabolical Mr. Rock—a maniacal BlacKrow with a traveling carnival of assassin bird species enlisted to aid in his evil plot to make this region his new home. Mr. Rock and his deadly carnival of freaks have decided that Parrkluck and its citizens will either serve as his slaves or die. King Toller, Meeori, and a few other unlikely allies must join forces to prevent the maniacal carnival master from taking both the crystals and the lives he hopes to claim underneath his erected Dome of Doom.

The WarBirds of Parrkluck boasts a rich cast of characters—from beautiful heroines and deadly warriors to lovable pets like Bago, a rare half-dog, half-bird.

According to the author, “This book is not a comedy or a children’s tale. But it will appeal to a wide audience, even kids who are old enough to understand that when we see a sparrow on our back deck eating a struggling Katydid, it may seem cruel to us, yet in a bird’s world…it’s completely natural.”

About the book:

The WarBirds of Parrkluck by Kenneth J. Bishop
ISBN: 978-1-4787-1584-9
Publisher: Outskirts Press
Date of publish: November 2012
Pages: 170
S.R.P.: $13.95

About the author:

Kenneth J. Bishop served proudly in the U.S. Navy and is currently employed by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office in Florida. He and his wife April have two grown children and two grandchildren and reside in Rockledge on Florida’s Spacecoast. Kenneth’s first book, The Curse of the Chameleon, was published in 2000.

REVIEWERS PLEASE NOTE:

Note: Review copies of this book are available by replying to this e-mail. These formats are available:

Paperback
PDF
MOBI
ePub

PLEASE NOTE YOUR PREFERENCE and include your mailing address if you opt for the paperback version. Also include the web address where you post your reviews/interviews.

THERE IS NO DEADLINE FOR REVIEWS TO BE POSTED.

Here is the above author’s address;

ops@bostickcommunications.com

b]Title:[/b] Off Leash
Type: Novel
Genre: (sub)urban Fantasy
Formats available: Ebook
Rating/advisories: bit of gore bit of swearing
Blurb: When Thomas Khatt awakens to the magical world following the sudden, violent death of his elderly Archmagus neighbor, he doesn’t get the standard package of awesome power combined with a hero destiny. Nope, he trades his thumbs in for a tail, tawny fur and four feet with a very low co-efficient of friction on linoleum. His destiny as one of three talking mountain lions in the magical world? To be sold at auction and bonded to some pimply faced apprentice for life. Thomas would rather eat dirty kitty litter.

Armed only with an impressive set of chompers and buckets of snark, Thomas faces off against a lightning-bolt throwing granny and a sexy union recruiter as he desperately tries to hold the threads of his old life together. To stay off the leash he’ll have to take advantage of the chaos caused by the Archmagus’ death and help the local Inquisition solve his murder. A pyromanic squirrel, religious werewolves, and cat-hating cops all add to the chaos as Thomas attempts to become the first Freelance Familiar.
Terms/restrictions: I’ll give a free ebook to anyone who asks. I’d love a review in return.
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon or anywhere at all, just tell me where so I link it on my Twitter.
How to contact: danpotter@fallenkitten.com

Title: Wishing Season: Holiday Tales of Whimsy and Wonder
Type: Short story collection
Genre: Fantasy/general
Formats available: Ebook, as .mobi or .epub (I can give you a Smashwords coupon code or email you the file in Kindle or epub format, whatever you prefer)
Rating/advisories: G/PG

Blurb:

Journey to the North Pole and beyond in seven magical tales for the young at heart:

“The Gingerbread Reindeer” - When Santa finds himself one reindeer short for the Christmas run, the frost-elf Boreas enchants a replacement. But there’s more than elf-magic being worked, and when an ancient foe threatens them all, the gingerbread reindeer finds he’s made of more than just flour and sugar.

“Special Delivery” - It’s Christmas Eve, and Phillip Cottington–a.k.a. the Easter Bunny–is already planning for spring. But when a letter intended for Santa gets delivered to him instead, Phillip has to make sure it gets through in time.

“Holly’s Jolly Christmas” - All the young reindeer Holly dreams of is to be part of Santa’s team, but no one will give her the chance–until a child’s letter starts her on a path that will take her places she never imagined.

“An Older World” - Jakob the toymaker lives in a world of grief, until a special toy gives him a chance at a new life.

“The First Winter” - A mother bear tells her cubs the story of how First Bear defeated Death.

“Nativity” - An orphaned girl finds an unusual place to belong.

“Santa’s Summer Vacation” - By order of Mrs. Claus, Santa and his head elf Fussbudget travel to the magical island of Serendipity to relax on the beach. But Maelstrom, evil King of the Eighth Sea, has other plans for Santa.

Terms/restrictions: Please read and review before November 26.
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon, preferably with cross-posting to Goodreads. (If you get the file from Smashwords, cross-posting there is good too, of course.) Right now Wishing Season has no reviews on Amazon and only 2 on Goodreads, and I really don’t want to go into this holiday season without at least a couple reviews on Amazon, so help is very much appreciated. :slight_smile:
How to contact: Email reneecarterhall (at) gmail.com or message me here on the forums with your email and what format you need (Kindle, epub, or Smashwords coupon code).

Here’s a book I recently published C:

Title: Victernus
Genre: Science Fiction
Formats available: PDF/EPUB (free), Hardcover/Paperback (Discounted)
Audio: The book comes with a soundtrack that I composed for it. There’s a link to that below.
Rating/advisories: PG-13
Blurb: This was taken from the back cover:

For a split second, you gaze into the ultimate form of happiness. No words can describe it. You want it, but you don't know how you can reach it. What do you do? Do you forget it, or do you cling to it like your life depends on it?

This struggle is but one for Namara Galvarros, one of the most controversial scientists from the Age of the End. Through careful planning and dedication, he rejected the shallow ideals of his world in order to find what he came to call “Koanthanatus.” He even case aside humanity itself…

But the world is not forgiving. A great evil lies in wait, threatening to steal his life’s work and condemn mankind to a world where science is worshipped above all things. Little can be done to avoid man’s demise, and Namara knows only one thing:

Koanthanatus is calling.

More info about the book(cover, excerpts, soundtrack): www.baumarius.com/victernus
Terms/restrictions: Just don’t take too long with it lol
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon, Goodreads, FA/SF
How to contact: Email: lkdg77@gmail.com | FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/baumarius

Available for interested reviewers:

Title: Thousand Tales: How We Won the Game
Formats available: Print and e-book (DOC, MOBI, PDF); prefer to send e-books
Rating/advisories: PG-13 (a few disturbing scenes)
Terms/restrictions: Requesting a review within two months
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon.com; personal sites OK but would like at least some version on Amazon.
How to contact: kschnee at xepher dot net.
Blurb:

We Found Paradise. Now What?

Student Paul Kostakis has caught the attention of Ludo, an Artificial Intelligence obsessed with games and stories. In return for a few little favors, she’s offering “brain uploading”. She can fatally dice your brain, scan it, and recreate you in a virtual-reality heaven she controls. You can do anything in there: become a griffin, upgrade your mind, fall in love, or go mad.

When Paul accepts Ludo’s offer, sooner than he would’ve liked, he learns that people can find real problems even in a digital world. One of them is that Ludo has powerful opponents who want to shut her down, bring death to her immortal people, and end her game forever.

That’s the one I’m mainly interested in getting reviews for. The same offer stands for my other works on Amazon, in descending order of caring:
Title: 2040: Reconnection: A “Thousand Tales” Story
Type: Novella
Blurb:

Digital Paradise. Some Restrictions Apply.

2040: The video game “Thousand Tales” has become a world. If you can afford to have your brain sliced and scanned, you can live there, maybe forever. Its ruling AI, Ludo, exists to help all her players have fun.

For Alma, “uploading” to Ludo’s world was a better deal than dying of disease. She’s got a new body, magic, uploader and native AI friends, and a country back in the real world that still needs her. Can she reconnect to Earth and make herself useful? She’d better be careful, though, because her new home isn’t quite the heaven she expected.

Set in the world of “Thousand Tales: How We Won the Game”.

Title: Striking the Root
Genre: Fantasy
Rating/advisories: PG
Blurb:

"In time, I won't be able to protect the people's souls. To help them live again and again." The Lord fixed Rowan with an intense gaze from the old, sea-green eyes. The threads of his magic flared, igniting in Rowan's heart like a spark. "They mustn't know! Not the old, the sick, nor enemies of the people -- nobody." Rowan averted his eyes and lowered his tail. He'd been trusted with more secrets than either of them had expected.

On a mission from his god, young wizard Rowan discovers a threat to the people of Great Oak and the humans of the land beyond. Will his faith sustain him, or plunge the land into war?

Title: Everyone’s Island
Blurb:

Garrett Fox has a dream: colonizing the ocean's surface. He's hardly begun when a deadly hurricane sweeps across his tiny artificial island, forcing him and his backers to rethink their plans. Instead of a nice, clean science project, Garrett's island becomes a haven for drug dealers, rogue scientists, prostitutes, and a cult that worships Robert E. Lee.

Garrett’s financier wants to use him to build a new nation. His teenage friend Tess is begging not to go home to where she’ll be drugged and alone. His station’s computers are run by an illegal AI fleeing its creator. How is Garrett supposed to do his engineering work and make money, when so many people are looking for a leader, or a victim?

With pirates, politicians and an internal threat at his door, Garrett soon finds his colony is a doomed dream. Unless, that is, he’s willing to pledge his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor.

(Note: This, my first book, went through a small press. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get a review copy easily.)

Scott Bradfield is a professor of literature currently at a London University. I’ve been reviewing his books with talking animals for over twenty years, such as “Animal Planet”, a satire of “Animal Farm” from a capitalistic viewpoint – humans uplift all the animals so they can be money-spending consumers. Penguins drinking martinis, and so on.

Bradfield is getting into self-publishing with “Dazzle Resplendent”, a collection of his short stories about Dazzle, a talking dog. I said in a 2007 review of one of them, “‘Dazzle Redux’ is Bradfield’s second story featuring Dazzle, the talking dog. (The first, ‘Dazzle’, is in his 1990 collection, ‘Dream of the Wolf’.) Dazzle, now living as a feral dog in the mountains around Los Angeles with a complacent bitch and her pups, is happy; but could be happier if he would learn to just shut up!
“Maybe I’m not all I should be in the family skills department,” Dazzle confessed that night to his erstwhile mate, Edwina. “But getting through to those kids of yours is like having a conversation with a block of wood, I swear. If I try to instruct them in the most basic math and science skills, they’re not interested. If I try to teach them which way to look when crossing the street, they’re still not interested. If I try to point out the most obvious cultural contradictions of multinational capitalism, why, just forget about it. They’re really not interested. If you can’t eat it or fuck it, it’s not important; that’s their attitude.” (Etc., etc.; Edwina is sleeping through all this. pg. 31)
Finally despairing of trying to get his foster pups interested in geometry or Nietzsche or even not running with the local coyotes, Dazzle sets out to find his own father in the alleys and dumpsters of L.A.”

Bradfield says in an e-mail yesterday, “I’m publishing DAZZLE RESPLENDENT, and a reissue of ANIMAL PLANET, my damn self. But if you know anybody who might be interested in reading or reviewing these books, could you please freely pass around? Thanks again! Over and out!
Scott”

Let me know if you’re interested and send me your mailing address, and I’ll forward it to him. You may be able to find some of Bradfield’s books at your public libraries.

This poor little thing desperately needs reviews:

Title: Snow Flower
Type: novella
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Formats available: Print, Electronic - PDF, MOBI, EPUB
Blurb:

Born as an undersized runt puppy, Arara has been constantly bullied by the bigger pups in her pack. As far as she is concerned, her life is horrible and its not going to change anytime soon.

However, during a hunt Arara discovers that she can move things with her mind. Armed with this new power, Arara convinces another bullied puppy to help her take down Kerka - the biggest, baddest pup in town.

But when things go wrong and a life is put in danger, Arara must face her fears before it is too late.

Terms/restrictions: Do it soonish
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon and Goodreads
How to contact: keller.madison at gmail dot com

I also have this one, that already has quite a few reviews but I wouldn’t mind a few more.

Title: Flower’s Fang
Type: novel
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Formats available: Electronic - PDF, MOBI, EPUB
Blurb:

One of the magical flower Kin, Prince Sels has a terrible problem - he has no magic. Forced by his mother to tour the Empire in search of his magical bonded, Sels is terrified of what will happen if he returns home empty handed.

A runt and joke of her pack, Arara is dreading the coming-of-age hunt. Born telepathic and telekinetic, she is terrified that her superstitious pack will tear her apart if she accidentally reveals her secret.

When assassins and dark plots threaten the Queen, the Prince and the runt must work together to save the empire before it is too late.

Terms/restrictions: Do it soonish
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon and Goodreads
How to contact: keller.madison at gmail dot com

Title: The Dragon Tax
Type: novella
Genre: Epic Humorous Fantasy
Formats available: electronic or paperback
Blurb:

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

King decrees Dragons must pay taxes! Dragon residents of Thima are hereby ordered to present to the Kingdom one-third of their hoards and pillages.

The renowned dragon slayer and the new Dragon Tax Collector, Sybil Dragonsbane, will be tracking down dragon debtors who fail to promptly bequeath their taxes as due.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

Sybil Dragonsbane suspected of aiding and abetting the escape of a dragon wanted for tax evasion. A reward is offered for the capture of Sybil and her red-haired companion.

A short story version of this novel first appeared in the anthology ‘A Menagerie of Heroes’ as ‘The Dragon Tax.’

Terms/restrictions: Do the Review ASAP, since I currently have none posted
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon, Goodreads, blogs, any other place you frequent
How to contact: keller dot madison at gmail dot com

I want to review The Dragon Tax when the paperback becomes available! I praised the novellla in my review of A Menagerie of Heroes, so I’m certainly looking forward to its expansion into a full novel. What publisher is it from?

I’m self publishing through my own imprint, Hundeliebe Publishing. It is still technically in the ‘novella’ range, although I more than doubled the size of it to about 25K words.

The shipment tracking on the paperbacks says they should be here by 6/29, but I’ll make an official post on this thread when I actually have them in hand.

Title: The Rogue ing
Genre: Science Fantasy Romance
Formats available: Electronic - epub & mobi
Rating/advisories: Not sure what rating to give but there’s sexual themes and violence of several degrees including, but not limited to, mention of rape (and yet I first wrote it at 12 years of age ::slight_smile: ).
Blurb:

[i]Outside is dangerous. [/i]

Such is the warning Koral has heard for twelve years. Born a product of genetic manipulation, he knows little else of the world beyond the steel walls of his home.
When fate gives him the choice between certain death and the unknown, there’s no question in what he must choose. But he’s about to find out the sands he must brave are full of more than mere monsters.
Providing the desert doesn’t kill him first.
This is a world ruled by instinct, where innocence is drowned in blood. Here, men are offered up to the great Serpent God, Lorric, only to emerge as the most feared killers on the planet: The Rogues.
With the god’s sights set on turning Koral into a legend, he must sacrifice himself to survive and be reborn as… The Rogue King

Terms/restrictions: Would appreciate the review being done soonish.
Preferred place(s) to post reviews: Amazon and Goodreads (any blog or personal site is also nice)
How to contact: aldreaalien1 at gmail.com

I don’t know where is the most appropriate place to post this, but I would like to remind all FWG members that I try to review all furry books on Dogpatch Press.

You can read my latest reviews there. But I cannot review books unless I get them. My thanks to Madison Scott-Clary for sending me Arcana: A Tarot Anthology; my review of it will be posted eventually. (Dogpatch Press is seriously backlogged with my reviews today.) My mailing address for books is:

Fred Patten
c/o Sherrill Patten
11333 Moorpark Street, #471
Studio City, CA 91602

Likewise, there is a new program called the Furry Book Review. It strives to give quality reviews of furry books and short stories without bias. Check it out at furrybookreview.wixsite.com/blog

If you want to contact them to have your work reviewed, email at furrybookreview@gmail.com

They’ve already had about ten reviews posted. :slight_smile:

What are the one hundred best &/or most important furry books ever published?

This is a serious question. I am discussing writing a book with a publisher about the hundred most important furry books. What should they be?

Some titles are obvious, such as Animal Farm and Watership Down. I have included all of the Ursa Major and Cóyotl Award winners, except for the few Ursa Major winners that are not in paper editions. I can include the handful of new non-fiction books about furry fandom, such as Joe Strike’s Furry Nation.

After that, the choice seems as much my personal choice as anything else, such as some of Paul Kidd’s early novels. What about children’s books. Most children’s fantasies can be ignored, but are there some such as Charlotte’s Web or One Hundred and One Dalmatians that should be included?

What would you include on your own list of the most important furry books? Could you reach a hundred titles?

It doesn’t get a lot of attention in the furry cannon, but I think The Island of Dr. Moreau is one of the most significant furry works ever. It’s a hard sell because of the horrific abuse, but the entire theme centers on the difference between man and beast, where that line shifts and blurs and where at times we fall down and the animal rises above us.