Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Book Cover Art

http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/temp/Reconnection_Cover_Mockup.png
http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/temp/Reconnection_Cover_Mockup_2.jpg

I’m looking to market a new novella, but it needs cover art. I got an illustration of the main character by an artist who worked cheaply and had no problem with licensing rights, and slapped that onto a free fantasy background off DeviantArt. Also tried it off a pixelly background.

Uh… it’s not up to the same quality standard as the cool image I paid $60 to license last time. In fact one friend candidly told me the squirrel pic would be a turn-off if anything. Because this thing is a novella of around 20K words and will probably be a 99-cent download, I’m not looking to spend significant money on it. There are a couple of generic forest backgrounds I might be able to use too; DA artists post weird ambiguous license terms.

Think I’d be better off ditching the squirrel pic from the cover, just including it as an interior illustration, and just having a generic dull cover like the pixel background plus text?

(Under the weird circumstances of the setting, it’s actually hard SF but takes place in a fantasy world… and occasionally Texas. So I’m also looking to not make people think it’s pure fantasy.)

Yeah, I think that it works better as an interior illustration. I wouldn’t be tempted to buy a book with this as a front cover.

Blah. Well, it’s good to be told that in advance; thanks. I’m now trying to figure out whether to buy more furry art or just put together something more abstract. Probably the latter at this point.

I would strongly consider just going onto a site like e621.net or FurAffinity, search term ‘squirrel’, and go looking for art that would be good enough for a book cover. Draw up a list of, say, 10 of them, and then go politely knocking on artist’s digital doors, and discuss licensing the image(s) that you think fit.

I tend to not like abstract covers (Richard Powers and Ed Emshwiller could paint attractive s-f abstractions, but they’re both dead and nobody else seems to be able to), so I hope that you do find a furry artist who can create a good anthro squirrel.

I just saw a trailer for “Get Squirrely”, a coming Canadian talking-animal movie with, to put it politely, not very up-to-date CGI animation. The animals lack fur, and while that’s okay for the reptiles, a squirrel without fur looks – well, that’s probably why Squirrely appears fully dressed all the time. I’ve posted the trailer (in an article from Cartoon Brew) to Flayrah, so furry fans can see it.

Are you still looking?