Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Book/Author of the Month Discussion Thread

Just a reminder (since I recently Tweeted a link to this thread) that the full list of Past Books of the Month can be found here:

Feel free to post BotM suggestions here. As stated above, I tend to favor works by members over nonmembers, multi-author works over single-author, and general/mature over explicit – but the key phrase there is “tend to favor,” and none of those preferences are set in stone. :slight_smile:

Just to point out you’ve listed this month’s book at January 2014!

And as a suggestion for a book, why not feature one of Jess Owen’s books? She did win the Ursa Major last year too, so I think we can all agree it’s good!

That’s what I get for trying to do guild stuff quickly during work. >_< Thanks for catching that, and for the suggestion!

I’ve just read “GeneStorm, Book 2, Fort Dandelion” by Paul Kidd, and I’d like to recommend it for a Book of the Month. It’s good fun, and it’s filled with anthropomorphic hybrids: a shark/human riding a giant pink cockatoo, a fox/pheasant, a crocodile/wild boar, a hawk/cat, and more.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-kidd/genestorm-fort-dandelion/paperback/product-22454444.html

Any suggestions for BotM for April and May? It tends to be kind of a dead time for releases until we get to AC, so I wouldn’t mind going back and featuring something that was released in the last year or two but didn’t get a lot of attention.

(Strongly prefer works by members and general/mature over explicit; slight preference for anthologies over single-author works just because they get more exposure for more writers; and for single-author books, preferably someone whose work hasn’t been featured recently. Those aren’t all deal-breakers, just factors I try to take into consideration when choosing what to signal-boost with BotM. Not an exact science, obviously.)

Past books of the month, for reference:

I’d like to suggest Breaking the Ice: https://www.sofawolf.com/products/breaking-the-ice

This was the first book I bought from a furry publisher and this is a series I wish had more exposure these days. This one is the first anthology in the New Tibet setting.

Good idea, though I’d like to feature things published within the last few years if I can.

I feel like I made that a feature book back when I was in charge of the guild. Actually, I distinctly remember it.

It wasn’t on the link Renee posted so I recommended it. Not sure if that list goes all the way back to inception or not.

It probably doesn’t. It also was back when I did “Review of the Month” as a separate category from “Book of the Month”, which I also kept for more recent works.

It lists everything that was listed as a “Book of the Month” on the old FWG site and then on the new one. It’s possible the book was featured but didn’t make it onto the list on the old site; not sure how often that was updated.

I kept that part of the site updated. Again, it wasn’t a “Book of the Month”, rather a “Review of the Month”, and I’m not sure that list got transferred.

Either way, I’ll agree that Breaking the Ice was indeed a great anthology, and something the fandom could use more of.

I purposely didn’t list the Review of the Month on the new site as it was something that wasn’t continuing (same reason I didn’t list the Authors of the Month, since that wasn’t continued and was turned into the Member Spotlight feature). But all of those threads are still here in this forum for reference.

Since we’re on a new page, carrying over my previous request:

Any suggestions for BotM for April and May? It tends to be kind of a dead time for releases until we get to AC, so I wouldn’t mind going back and featuring something that was released in the last year or two but didn’t get a lot of attention.

(Strongly prefer works by members and general/mature over explicit; slight preference for anthologies over single-author works just because they get more exposure for more writers; and for single-author books, preferably someone whose work hasn’t been featured recently. Those aren’t all deal-breakers, just factors I try to take into consideration when choosing what to signal-boost with BotM. Not an exact science, obviously.)

Past books of the month, for reference:

Again, looking for books published within the last few years.

Since God of Clay was a BotM, you might consider the sequel, Forest Gods. Or, Koa of the Drowned Kingdom, also by Ryan Campbell.

Forum member Skye has a book recently out: http://skyelansing.com/index.php/books/

Oh, and Malcolm Cross (foozzzball) has released Dog Country (he hasn’t joined the Guild tho): http://www.sinisbeautiful.com/dog-country-my-debut-novel-is-now-available/