Furry Writers' Guild Forum

At the Movies

Thread for any and all movie-related discussion – old stuff, new stuff, stuff that hasn’t come out yet, whatever.

Of course, for me the big excitement at the moment is the new Hobbit trailer released at Comic-Con last weekend:

Currently I consider this the only reason to look forward to this winter. ;D

This caught me completely by surprise and as a fan of the original series I can’t wait to see this: http://youtu.be/akX3Is3qBpw

Bonus squee for Tom Hardy:)

Spoke about this on FA earlier, briefly: James Cameron is going to make a “Gunnm” (Battle Angel) movie, I…think I read filming would start in 2017, but it may not be so.

But it’s been on his to-do list for…roughly 6500 years. And I’ve been waiting…and waiting. I may well live that long, but that had better be a damned good adaptation!

I feel pretty good about the “The Last of Us” film. As long as they don’t diverge too much, it should be watchable.

The “Shadow of the Colossus” movie is probably going to be really bad…but I’m still totally going to see it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m hopeful for the “The Last of Us” movie. The plot, from what I’ve seen of it, seems like it’d fit very well as a film.

‘Tusk’, a horror comedy by Kevin Smith.

I am amazed at the man’s ability to make things funny, then have you dead silent at the horror of something as insanely silly as what is presented by this film.

The same guy who wrote the game is doing the screenplay as well, so as long as the producers keep their noses out (hahahahahaha) it should be fine.

@Voice ~ There’s an episode of “Wolf’s Rain” wherein…ah, I don’t wanna spoil it if you haven’t seen it yet. But yeah, I don’t like every single film Smith’s done, but when he’s on, he’s really good.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend and enjoyed it more than I thought I would – bearing in mind that I have no background with any of these characters and I’m not usually interested in the comic book superhero type of genre. A lot of fun, didn’t take itself too seriously, and just enough heart to make you root for the characters on more than just an adventure-plot level. From what I’ve read on Flayrah, it sounds like they changed some characters’ backstories significantly, but again, for somebody who knew nothing about the original work, I liked it and am looking forward to the sequel.

Still trying to decide whether to see The Giver, though I’m leaning against it. I don’t know that I want to pay movie-theater ticket prices just to see one of my favorite books of all time get miscast and mutilated, based on the trailers I’ve seen. On the other hand, the author likes it, and I’m still curious. shrug Will wait for some reviews, I guess.

I also saw it over the weekend. I thought it was ok, to be fair, there was no way it was going to live up to the hype.

My only major complaint was that I was really enjoying the humorous character interactions, but they chose to focus on these action setpieces about which I did not care in the slightest. I would have preferred to have spent more time with the characters. Decent flick, though. Groot was adorable!

I also kinda…really hated the soundtrack, but that’s normal. XP

Just got back from The Giver. It’s been quite a few years since I read the book, but the movie did seem to stick surprisingly close to the source material. A few discrepancies between the two, but nothing that hurt the plot, just things added in for flavor. The pacing was nice, and I really liked the way the memory sequences were handled in the film. If you enjoyed the book I would recommend giving the movie a shot-- it actually surprised me.

Well, they lost me right from the first trailer, when they a) cast a 24-year-old as the main character, who is supposed to be 12, and b) made the whole thing visually look and feel like a Hunger Games/Divergent/YA-dyslit-of-the-month clone. :confused: Based on the reviews I’ve read and how fervently I love the book, I’m not expecting to like the movie, so with finances being tight right now I’ve decided to save that $14 and will just rent it from Redbox later on.

Does anyone remember that movie about Joan of Arc that came out a while back? I think it may have been called “The Messenger.”

Saw “Chef” at the $2 not too long ago. Only saw the trailer earlier that day when my wolf and I were deciding on what to see for date night. I admit, it was the ultimate feel-good movie. No heavy plot to have to think through, no gut-wrenching moments. Just enough conflict to keep the story going and there were a couple of times when I really wanted to get up and dance. That might just be because my grandmother was Cuban, but still! Totally recommend it if you want an easy plot that just leaves you with the warm fuzzies.

In case anyone still hasn’t seen the first full trailer for Jurassic World:

I do love the idea that we’re finally (if only briefly, I assume) going to see what we never got to see in the first film – the park actually being operational.

That scene with the pliosaur is several flavors of awesome.

I remember it. It was pretty good from what I remember.

Huh. Cheryl from Archer / Kitty from Arrested Development is in this, then. Didn’t expect that.