Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Recommended Reading

Ditto!

This is THE list to be in!

Here’s my recommended reading list. It is a bit long. Hope you all enjoy! :slight_smile:

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Teeth-Toby-Barlow-ebook/dp/B0012OYBRG
Synopsis: “An ancient race of lycanthropes has survived to the present day, and its numbers are growing. Bent on dominance, rival factions are initiating the down-and-out of L.A. into their ranks. Caught in the middle are Anthony, a kindhearted, lovesick dogcatcher, and the object of his affection: a female werewolf who has abandoned her pack.”
My thoughts: Simple werewolf book, correct? Except this book is written ENTIRELY IN PROSE!! I know that might not be that much of a blowmind but it was to me when I first picked it up and dove into it. A fantastic read and it goes by fast.

Dust City by Robert Paul Weston http://www.amazon.com/Dust-City-Robert-Paul-Weston-ebook/dp/B0044KLQD2/
Synopsis: “Ever since his father’s arrest for the murder of Little Red Riding Hood, teen wolf Henry Whelp has kept a low profile in a Home for Wayward Wolves . . . until a murder at the Home leads Henry to believe his father may have been framed. Now, with the help of his kleptomaniac roommate, Jack, and a daring she-wolf named Fiona, Henry will have to venture deep into the heart of Dust City: a rundown, gritty metropolis where fairydust is craved by everyone and controlled by a dangerous mob of Water Nixies and their crime boss leader, Skinner. Can Henry solve the mystery of his family’s sinister past? Or, like his father before him, is he destined for life as a big bad wolf?”
My thoughts: This was a fantastic way to twist and bend the Brother Grimm’s fairy tales that we all know and love. Just how this author used fairy tales in this grisly mystery thriller was beyond amazing. I will never think or look at fairy dust the same way again.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman http://www.amazon.com/Graveyard-Book-Neil-Gaiman-ebook/dp/B0011UJM48/
Synopsis: “Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place—he’s the only living resident of a graveyard. Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians’ time as well as their ghostly teachings—such as the ability to Fade so mere mortals cannot see him. Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? And then there are being such as ghouls that aren’t really one thing or the other.”
My thoughts: First of all, it’s Neil Gaiman. How can you say no? On that note, this was an interesting take on ‘The Jungle Book’ story and the ending left me a little surprised. It opened my eyes on how people’s deeds can affect others. You may have good intentions and want to save others but the ones you save may not look at you the same way again.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater http://www.amazon.com/Shiver-Wolves-Mercy-Falls-Book-ebook/dp/B002JWD6AS/
Synopsis: “For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf–her wolf–is a chilling presence she can’t seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It’s her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human–or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.”
My thoughts: If you look at the Amazon description, they will say that this is in the ‘vein of Twilight’. I will tell you right now that this is a far, far better story than Twilight because every single character has their own motivations and each thinks for themselves. Each character is an interesting individual and that is what drives the story along. Not to mention that the main female character is so kickass and awesome. This is the first of a series and I do highly recommend anything else written by Maggie Stiefvater. She is so cool!

The Sight by David Clement-Davies http://www.amazon.com/Sight-David-Clement-Davies-ebook/dp/B008B8WLVO/
Synopsis: “In the wilds of Transylvania a legend is about to be born, as a wolf pack race through the bitter snows, to find a birthing den for two cubs, one black, one white. In the birth of Fell, and his sister Larka, a race is on to defeat the wicked Morgra, and to come to terms with the extraordinary powers of The Sight.”
My Thoughts: This is a hard fantasy! Like, ‘Lord of the Rings’ hard. There is so much going on in this book that you will get a bit confused but it is such an enthralling read. There is also a sequel to this book called ‘The Fell’.

Rainbow in the Dark by Amy Meister (no buyable link. sorry. :frowning: )
Synopsis: “Like a Rainbow in the Dark is the story of Marcus Midnight. Marcus is the lead singer and guitarist of a metal band called Guillotine, which has had six hit albums in twelve years, but now Marcus is burned out and bitterly lonely. Gay and kept in the closet by his paranoid record label, Marcus leaves the States and heads to Germany, hoping to relax, write some music, and find some willing hot guys to sleep with. It’s there, in a loft above a bookstore where he isn’t a household name, that Marcus is slowly able to rediscover his ability to write music… and amongst the many bars and good garage bands, he becomes friends with another band, called Wire and Lace. Their music is good, but their lead singer, Bard, could prove to be even better.”
My Thoughts: This was a great read. I loved the concept around the book and the characters were a fun read. The author put a lot of thought into the characters and made them enticing to read.

“Furries: A Guide to Anthropomorphism” by C. D. Overstreet.

Has anyone read it yet? I haven’t.

The fact that it has a five-star review from the author doesn’t really help it look worthwhile.

Overstreet says, dated last November, “Since there are no other detailed books on furries and what they are you may find that this is your only option.” This implies that he is either unaware of or is deliberately ignoring “Furries Among Us: Essays on Furries by the Most Prominent Members of the Fandom”, edited by Thurston Howl, which was published last July.

And which appears in the ‘Customers who bought this item also bought’ box underneath :slight_smile:

… ouch. Yikes. Wow.

C.J. Cherryh rated “The Pride of Chanur” five stars on Goodreads:

It’s okay to enjoy your own work.

One of my favorites is kind of a sleeper, but I adored how whimsical and bizarre it was. The protagonist is a bear, but there are also a lot of human elements and the other furs don’t really show till toward the end, but a great read all the same. The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers
It’s a fun ride all around.

This is a last-minute recommendation for the Cóyotl nominations, since it came out in 2015.

The Sage of Waterloo, by Leona Francombe. I’ve just reserved this at the L.A. Public Library. I don’t know yet if it’s any good or not, but the LAPL has liked it enough to stock it. W. W. Norton, an established publisher, has liked it enough to publish it. It’s been out for almost a year. Has anyone else heard of it? Has anyone else’s public library got it?

“The most beguiling and distinctive debut novel of the season: the Battle of Waterloo…as told by a rabbit.

On June 17, 1815, the Duke of Wellington amassed his troops at Hougoumont, an ancient farmstead not far from Waterloo. The next day, the French attacked―the first shots of the Battle of Waterloo―sparking a brutal, day-long skirmish that left six thousand men either dead or wounded.

William is a white rabbit living at Hougoumont today. Under the tutelage of his mysterious and wise grandmother Old Lavender, William attunes himself to the echoes and ghosts of the battle, and through a series of adventures he comes to recognize how deeply what happened at Waterloo two hundred years before continues to reverberate. “Nature,” as Old Lavender says, “never truly recovers from human cataclysms.”

The Sage of Waterloo is a playful retelling of a key turning point in human history, full of vivid insights about Napoleon, Wellington, and the battle itself―and a slyly profound reflection on our place in the world.’

http://www.amazon.com/Sage-Waterloo-Tale-Leona-Francombe/dp/0393246914/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460969208&sr=1-1&keywords=Sage+of+Waterloo

I’ve seen Watership Down recommended here but I didn’t see Tailchaser’s Song by Tad Williams. Cats going on adventures being all badass and fighting demon cats!
…I mean, I quite liked it.

Tailchaser’s Song! Definitely!! It’s on my list of the Top Ten anthropomorphic novels that every furry fan should read.

http://anthrozine.com/revw/rvw.patten.0e.html#tailchasers.song

Here’s one that seems to have slipped by everyone. Vix Reynard and the League of Astonishing Vermin by Kory Merritt was on the Anthropomorphic Recommended Reading List in 2010 when it was part of Merritt’s online graphic story as The Lost Side of Suburbia. It’s been a Kindle book since March 2014, but I haven’t seen any mention of that in furry fandom.

How many anthropomorphic literary references can you recognize in it?

Is anyone familiar with Memoirs of a Polar Bear by Yoko Tawada? I’m asking, not recommending; I haven’t read it. The American edition, translated from German, has just been published on November 8. Its blurb is, “The Memoirs of a Polar Bear stars three generations of talented writers and performers―who happen to be polar bears

The Memoirs of a Polar Bear has in spades what Rivka Galchen hailed in the New Yorker as “Yoko Tawada’s magnificent strangeness”―Tawada is an author like no other. Three generations (grandmother, mother, son) of polar bears are famous as both circus performers and writers in East Germany: they are polar bears who move in human society, stars of the ring and of the literary world. In chapter one, the grandmother matriarch in the Soviet Union accidentally writes a bestselling autobiography. In chapter two, Tosca, her daughter (born in Canada, where her mother had emigrated) moves to the DDR and takes a job in the circus. Her son―the last of their line―is Knut, born in chapter three in a Leipzig zoo but raised by a human keeper in relatively happy circumstances in the Berlin zoo, until his keeper, Matthias, is taken away…

Happy or sad, each bear writes a story, enjoying both celebrity and “the intimacy of being alone with my pen.”

Knut, of course, was a real polar bear raised from a cub in the Berlin Zoo who became an international media star. The novel is apparently very “literary”. I’ve reserved it at the Los Angeles Public Library.

I am not sure that any of us is ready to spend £60.00 ($74.95) for a Kindle edition of a serious book on “animal solidarity” with non-human species by a British academic, but if we are, here it is.

Animals, Work, and the Promise of Interspecies Solidarity, by Kendra Coulter (Palgrave Macmillan, December 2015, hardcover £75.00, 212 pages; Kindle £59.21)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Animals-Work-Promise-Interspecies-Solidarity/dp/1137558792/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481675687&sr=1-3&keywords=kendra+coulter

I asked in April 2015 (comment #57 here) about Mort(e) by Robert Repino, which I hadn’t read yet. I since got it from the Los Angeles Public Library, and was very favorably impressed; here is my review.

Two sequels have recently been announced. Culdesac; A Novella from the World of Mort(e), published last month, is on order by the LAPL; I’ve reserved it in advance. D’Arc won’t be published until next May; the LAPL isn’t accepting reservations for it this early. Based on how much I liked Mort(e), I have no hesitation in recommending Culdesac and D’Arc.

This isn’t a book, but it is an excellent article on furry fandom in Singapore by Juliette Yu-Ming Lizeray. It’s also an excellent example of an article about furry fandom anywhere for the general public.

Read it. Its a shame that most articles, or even furry conventions has little to no focus about the writers. This article didn’t even mention the artists or writers.

Has anyone read The Blue Fox by Sjón? It apparently came out in 2013 and was originally written in Icelandic. Stumbled across it while researching fox-centered mythology today. Here it is at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Fox-Novel-Sj%C3%B3n/dp/0374114455 Looks interesting.

I have reserved The Blue Fox at the Los Angeles Public Library. The LAPL summary is similar to Amazon’s:

“Set against the stark backdrop of the Icelandic winter, an elusive, enigmatic fox leads a hunter on a transformative quest. At the edge of the hunter’s territory, a naturalist struggles to build a life for his charge, a young woman with Down syndrome whom he had rescued from a shipwreck years before. By the end of Sjón’s slender, spellbinding fable of a novel, none of their lives will be the same”–Page 4 of cover.

I’ll write a report of it.