Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Gods With Fur

And Terry Pratchett’s Small Gods. The god is even a tortoise!

(I don’t always like Neil Gaiman, but American Gods is fantastic. Come to think of it, that might be the only one of his novels I do like, but I haven’t read The Graveyard Book yet.)

I haven’t read “The Graveyard Book” in the novel form before, but if you can pick up the graphic novel, its pretty captivating. Its even explains the reason for some creatures’ existence pretty convincingly.

I think what Fred means is that they don’t want stories that feature a single furry god and no other furs (like a story about Anubis and a family of humans or something), as that would make it not-so-furry. I think he means a single furry god story is fine as long as its fury-centric.

Yes, that’s pretty much right. Whether many furry gods or one, try to include more furry characters in the story than just one furry god among humans. It can be a furry god in a furry world, a furry god who turns humans into furries, a furry god who brings one or more humans to a furry dimension, several furry gods returned to a human world with the focus on the gods, a furry god who brings a furry acolyte to the human world – figure out a clever variation.

Hmmm; this has reminded me of “Genus Homo” by L. Sprague de Camp & P. Schuyler Miller, where a busload of humans is put into suspended animation for several million years and awakens in a world where humans are extinct and other apes have evolved to continue civilization. There is a war between the gorillas and the baboons, with the orangutans, chimpanzees, etc. as supporting characters. Which side should the humans join?

Come up with a version of that with furry gods.

I thought ‘hey, that sounds like Monkey Planet!’, so I looked up Genus Homo. Wikipedia says: ‘It is perhaps the earliest novel dealing with the afterwards popular theme of humanity being replaced by intelligent apes in the future, later epitomized by Pierre Boulle’s Planet of the Apes.’

Apes replacing humans is an entire genre?

Many people would ask the same of furry.

I think I’ll tackle Ratatoskr, Nidhogg, and some Norse-y things for this. Mulls and scribbles.

Are we calling topics? If so, I’m working on something involving Fenrir and the Aesir. =)

I think Fred gets to pick dibs for accepted works.

I tried Charon as a cartoon bear, but it wasn’t furry enough… so that’s free.

took me long enough, but I have a concept and a loose outline for this. It will be my first new short story this year :slight_smile:

Do the Elder Things (like Cthulhu) from the Lovecraft mythos count?

Yes, Lovecraft’s Elder Gods are fair game.

And I’d love to write it. But would Fred love to see it? (:

Surely. Why not? Lovecraft’s Elder Gods were mostly anthro, weren’t they?

Hmmm; were they Ancient Gods, or Transdimensional Gods? Or both? What might they do in a furry world?

Would something similar to the Iliad be on the table? Anthro mortals duking it out, and having their gods come in and trifle in their affairs?
Or has it been done?

I don’t think that it’s already been done. You should make sure that it feels like a genuinely furry world rather than just an imitation of “The Iliad” with funny animals.

Oh, I am all over this :smiley:

Regarding reply #15, that story I dimly remembered reading fifty years ago was “The Pipes of Pan” by Lester del Rey, originally published in Unknown Fantasy Fiction, May 1940, although I read it in a collection of del Rey’s s-f & fantasy short stories. The Roman god Pan, and the other gods, have lost their divine powers in the modern world because nobody worships the old gods any more. The other gods can pass as ordinary humans, but Pan is half-goat. The story is about him trying to disguise himself as a human in today’s society. It’s close enough to a furry story that furry fans should enjoy it. (And del Rey was generally a top s-f/fantasy author.)

Story is in second draft state, with a better ending compared to the first. Hopefully in the next editing pass I can figure out why it’s so long. It doesn’t feel like 10k words!