Furry Writers' Guild Forum

FWG Admission Requirements Discussion

I have been thinking on this a great deal, and have come to a conclusion: I think we’re being TOO specific with guidelines in some ways.

Let me explain, setting down SPECIFIC dollar amounts for every single other kind of writing might be… Difficult to say the least. Not to mention, whenever industry standards may change, it’d require a vote of everyone, including those that may not knowledgable, to change them. With how guild rules are anyways.

So what if we used something like this:

• You’ve had one short story, poem, or novel published in a paying qualifying market
  • You’ve had two short stories or poems published in a non-paying qualifying market
  • You’ve had sustained income from a self-published work, written commissions, comics writing, visual novel or interactive fiction writing, and/or a writing-based crowdfunding presence.

This way, even if your works maybe aren’t making you lots of cash, you’re still able to access the gambit of resources the guild hopes to offer so you can use them to improve that presence. This allows us to maintain a standard for what allows membership without essentially opening it up to every single person who ever writes anything. I think it keeps a focus on people trying to advance their writing as a career, even if it’s just a hobbyist styled one.

Basically, so long as you’re making sales of your book, commissions, writing on a semi-regular basis, you’re accepted. Alongside normal publishing requirements.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I really like this. It might be harder to decide what counts as “sustainable,” but if someone is making the effort to show us that they’ve made money, I think, they’re likely serious enough about membership that we want them on board. It’s going to be hard to “elevate and improve” furry writing, if we keep too many folks who are seriously trying out of the game.
I think you have the right feel with this one.

1 Like