Furry Writers' Guild Forum

Furry Frolics

I am reading and editing them as they come in, and rejecting any submissions that are hopelessly inept (I have sent back submissions that are only 500 or 1,000 words, and suggested that they be rewritten to the 2,500-word minimum), but Thurston Howl has said to not accept anything before the October 1st deadline. Then we will select the best 120,000 words and regretfully decline the rest. So far, we have not gotten 120,000 words submitted. You have a few days to revise your story before submitting it.

FurPlanet Productions is a lot more flexible. My guidelines for “The Furry Future” were to accept 120,000 to 150,000 words. We got over 190,000 words that were good. I asked FurPlanet what to do with the extra 40,000+ words, since it was a shame to let any of it go. FurPlanet decided to publish all 190,000+ words. Since the $19.95 price had already been announced, this meant a greater expense for FurPlanet in buying the stories, and paying for extra paper for a thicker book.

For those of you who are submitting or have already submitted, I want to make some clarifications (already in communicado with Fred about some of these things also).

Word count for the final anthology isn’t a factor for us at this point. If we go over or under, it’s fine. Fred will be selecting the best pieces, regardless of how many words are submitted.

There are still a few days left to submit, so keep those stories coming! :slight_smile:

Here is a brief wrapup on how Furry Frolics has done. We have ended up with 23 stories; 95,000+ words. We got submissions from Australia, India, Ireland, Singapore, Sweden, the U.K., and the U.S.

The anthology is not being tied to any furry convention appearance, and should be published in January or February 2018.

23 stories submitted or 23 stories accepted?

23 stories accepted.

How many submitted? Just curious cuz numbers are fun. :slight_smile:

27 submitted, not counting 4 or 5 other requests for information about what a submission should be like that did not result in submissions. One of the rejections was quite well-written, but it was about as funny as an Alfred Hitchcock thriller – totally inappropriate for a humor anthology; and 2 were much too short, about 1,000 words each when our minimum was 2,500 words. Two others were slightly less than 2,500 words, and the authors added a couple of hundred words to bring them up to the minimum.

There are a couple of exceptions to the guidelines that hopefully will be pleasing surprises to the readers.

Here are the latest developments about the Furry Frolics anthology.

1. The final title will be What the Fox?! Furry Frolics was always a tentative title.

2. The cover will be by Tabsley, who has already done the covers for Furries Among Us 2 and several other THP books. Tabsley will also do interior illustrations for each of the 23 stories in What the Fox?!

3. The anthology is being edited and typeset by Thurston Howl over the next several weeks. Publication is still planned for January or February 2018.

Can’t wait!

Looking forward to it!